• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one of these was more talked about at the time?

• Death of Superman

Votes: 934 94.6%
  • Wolverine losing his Adamantium

Votes: 53 5.4%

• Total voters

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Say what now? The very first time the new team runs into Mags he tosses Wolverine around like a rag doll. The Magneto anti-hero stuff was later.
My wording there was bad before I edited it. I meant the run, not that specific issue. Still, by 81 you have the issue where Magneto almost kills Kitty and after that he basically didn't appear as a villain until the 90s.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
My wording there was bad before I edited it. I meant the run, not that specific issue. Still, by 81 you have the issue where Magneto almost kills Kitty and after that he basically didn't appear as a villain until the 90s.

Yeah, after he tries to kill Kitty, right. You threw me by saying Giant Size #1, there was a good chunk of stuff that happened between that and him turning face. Like Kitty joining, for starters!

EDIT: It wasn't issue #81 though, would have been much later. 81 was still the reprints. #94 was the first issue with the new team.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
what made you think anything in the history of comics rivaled the death and resurrection of Superman?

I still got my black bag edition somewhere. Actually I have both Fatal Attractions and the black bag and white bag of Supes somewhere. Yea Charles putting Magneto down over Wolverine was an unforgettable moment for X-Men fans and readers, but Superman dying made the national and international news and sent comic sales soaring.

He doesn't have Adamantium teeth-however each time he is reduced to a flaming skeleton it shows his teeth.
I mean to be fair, teeth are what is most likely to survive for thousands of years.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
At what point was it decided that Wolverine's claws were a "natural" part of his mutation and not something added by the Weapon X project?

That's the moment we are discussing in this thread, which sucks. Mags rips the adamantium out, Wolvie almost dies. He heals and then he pops bone claws and I stopped buying X-Men comics. (It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, the X-Men were already shit by this point.)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's the moment we are discussing in this thread, which sucks. Mags rips the adamantium out, Wolvie almost dies. He heals and then he pops bone claws and I stopped buying X-Men comics. (It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, the X-Men were already shit by this point.)
I think I stopped buying around the time of X-Man and Jubilee becoming a Vampire. Just doing other things in life, interested in other things in life. Was a great run.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, after he tries to kill Kitty, right. You threw me by saying Giant Size #1, there was a good chunk of stuff that happened between that and him turning face. Like Kitty joining, for starters!

EDIT: It wasn't issue #81 though, would have been much later. 81 was still the reprints. #94 was the first issue with the new team.
I mean 1981 (as in, the year), not the issue number. Issue was #150.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Member when DC Comics killed Robin by having a phone in hotline to let fans vote (pre-internet days), lol.

733323.jpg
Yup, that's yet another event that is several magnitudes more widely known than Wolverine's thing. It's also better than it has any right to be given how ridiculous an idea it is to have a major comic story shaped by 1-900 callers.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I wasn't sure if this was something that had already been decided upon prior to the Magneto incident or if it was a revelation that said incident introduced. I figured they would at least try to retcon things by saying that Weapon X created bone claws to graft the adamantium to since maybe it was too expensive or otherwise unfeasible to create claws purely from adamantium.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that's yet another event that is several magnitudes more widely known than Wolverine's thing. It's also better than it has any right to be given how ridiculous an idea it is to have a major comic story shaped by 1-900 callers.
I bet that they didn't even plan for the possibility that people wanted to see Robin live. They probably just assumed that the audience would overwhelmingly want to see him dead.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I am actually really surprised at the poll results.

Sure, Death of Superman made the news, but I wasnt watching the news at 13 years old. I was talking about video games and comics and stuff with my friends. We all thought Superman was wicked lame, and X-Men was cool, and Wolverine was the coolest.
You really don't grasp what it was like then. EVERYBODY was talking about it. It wasn't just on tv it was on the radio, and newspaper your teachers were even talking about it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I bet that they didn't even plan for the possibility that people wanted to see Robin live. They probably just assumed that the audience would overwhelmingly want to see him dead.

It was actually really close.

wikipedia said:
Aware of Todd's unpopularity, O'Neil and writer Jim Starlin began discussing ways to retire the character, and before long, began to consider killing him altogether. During an editorial retreat, O'Neil recalled the success of a 1982 segment of Saturday Night Live, in which Eddie Murphy encouraged viewers to call the show if they wanted him to boil Larry the Lobster on air. O'Neil proposed a similar idea involving Todd to publisher Jenette Kahn, who liked the idea.[SUP][5][/SUP] O'Neil would later state:

We didn't want to waste it on anything minor. Whether Firestorm's boots should be red or yellow ... This had to be important. Life or death stuff.
— Dennis O'Neil[SUP][5][/SUP]
On the back of Batman #427, an advertisement was run featuring Batman carrying a severely wounded Robin. In the ad, readers were warned that Robin would die of his injuries "because the Joker wants revenge", but that they could "prevent it with a telephone call". Two 900 numbers were given: one (1-(900) 720-2660) which would let Robin live, and another (1-(900) 720-2666) which would cause him to die.[SUP][3][/SUP] The numbers were active for 36 hours, beginning on September 15, 1988, at 8 A.M. EST and ending on September 16, 1988, at 8 P.M. EST.[SUP][5][/SUP] Readers were charged 50 cents per call.[SUP][3][/SUP] Approximately 10,614 votes were cast during this period. When tallied, the final results were extremely narrow, with 5,343 votes in favor of Jason's death over 5,271 for his survival—a margin of just 72 votes. O'Neil would later admit to having voted in Todd's favor, as he felt that Batman was incomplete without Robin and feared killing Todd would lead to backlash.[SUP][5][/SUP]

Pretty hilarious that it was like 10K votes. They would get more responses today to a Tweet about Firestorm's boots.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The vote was very close. Also, they made the art for the alternative. I know that a lot of the staff wanted Jason killed off, but I think they were prepared for it to go either way.
www.polygon.com

The most tragic moment in Batman’s history almost looked like this

See the unpublished pages of Robin’s alternate-universe survival

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped from his body didnt even blip in the conversations I was having about comics those days lol. But everyone was talking about the Death of Superman. Mainly just how dumb it was or how soon he would be back.

But I think comics still had that stigma at the time where people just didnt talk about those sorts of things unless you were in your circles where it was understood comics were cool to talk about lol.

Id say the big things that were really talked about were Civil War, the first Ultimates, Blackest Night, and the New 52.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC has a huge advantage here. When something interesting happens like superman death or batman being broken it is built up through decades of nothing else interesting happening.

This commitment really highlights the big moments.

For marvel the metal being ripped out was just another day. It also made perfect sense to do, so the reaction was more like "it is evil, but no shit he would do that at some point"

almostheathen

Oct 29, 2017
That's easy Wolverine was the hotest shit during the 90s, but The death of Super Man did get media coverage. When I was growing up In the 90s people were into marvel if they were into comics. Wolverine pretty much won out popularity wise, hell they even had him win over Lobo I recall.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would definitely be among those people. I definitely remember when he go the adamantium removed and a period afterwards where he had bone claws.....but I have no idea when he was restored to 100%.

It's gotten so ridiculous that there's currently a tub of molten adamantium at the X-Men HQ at all times in case of no-adamantium Wolverine.
Sabretooth has also gotten and lost adamantium, but it was somehow removed GENTLY.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I had issues from both of these events.

That Wolverine arc where Genesis tried to put the adamantium back into him was awesome. I wasn't sure what to make of devolved wolverine though.

Last edited:

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I only learned about the adamantiun thing because I wondered why there were two Wolverines in MvC2.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Death of Superman was huge. It was all over media. I was out of comics by that time, but I remember it. I would say at that time Superman was the best known comic hero. Probably still is.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay, I wasn't sure if this was something that had already been decided upon prior to the Magneto incident or if it was a revelation that said incident introduced. I figured they would at least try to retcon things by saying that Weapon X created bone claws to graft the adamantium to since maybe it was too expensive or otherwise unfeasible to create claws purely from adamantium.
Fun fact Laura Kinney (X-23, Wolverine) had her bone claws surgically removed and replaced with adamantium forged claws when the Facility was training her.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Genuinely don't know how those 24 users voted. If they misread the question. If they thought it's a quality thing. If they subconsciously tried to make it a Marvel vs DC thing. If it's some contrarian mindset.

It's a fact that death of Superman was the bigger deal. This massive cultural event outside of comics. It's not a great story or anything. And the SNES game sucked.

Speaking of, I wouldn't even say that Wolverine moment compared to Maximum Carnage. That had games. Also not good games, but the red SNES cart was iconic.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was Superman, and it's not even a contest. If you didn't read comic books back then, or at least have friends who were into them, you'd most likely never have known about the Wolverine thing.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it was Superman, and it's not even a contest. If you didn't read comic books back then, or at least have friends who were into them, you'd most likely never have known about the Wolverine thing.

I'd taken a break from comics a bit before that, but I saw the cover on a rack at Barnes And Noble.

Sep 6, 2020
I read the hardback novel of Death and Return of Superman long before I ever saw any of the comics, so that should give you an idea of how omnipresent this thing was. It's crazy, in a way. I wonder how DC pulled that off; deaths in comics is never permanent, but the media went nuts for this. There were tons of tie-ins, so it was definitely a concerted effort.

Edit: another thing to consider: yes, X-Men and Wolverine were wildly popular at the time, but primarily on TV. Lots of fans like myself at the time had no idea what was happening in the X-books. Shoot, I didn't really start reading comics til I was an adult (just finished all of Dawn of X, and going back to see what I missed).

Last edited:

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Not remotely close. Death of Superman storyline was trash but it was a widely known, super hyped up moment that was getting talked about on the TV news. It is only possible to get that much coverage because it is a gimmick about Superman. Most usual people did not know who Wolverine was in 1993 and, as a huge albeit waning X-Men fan at the time, the Fatal Attractions storyline and the adamantium getting pulled out by Magneto didnt even feel like anything exciting to me.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't Spidey getting married be better for the poll instead of Wolverine?

Remembered that making the news as well.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Spidey getting married be better for the poll instead of Wolverine?

Remembered that making the news as well.
I mean, that's like saying a nickel is better than a penny when death of superman is a silver dollar.

It's foolish to pretend there's anything close to it in the first place.

Oct 8, 2019
The death of Superman will always be hilarious for the fact that they were selling hundreds of thousands of comics to new fans, and then they have a scene where Doomsday punches Supergirls face off

KJvj4l.jpg

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Definitely Death of Superman. I mean it was reported on the evening news and Entertainment Tonight.

Oct 8, 2019
Doomsday was fuckin everyone up.

Yeah but the average person whose knowledge of Superman came from pop culture depictions like the Superman movies wouldnt know anything about Matrix Supergirl.

Its like you hear that they killed Robin but how many fans knew about Jason Todd when the Batman movie came out. You just think they killed Dick Grayson.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what point was it decided that Wolverine's claws were a "natural" part of his mutation and not something added by the Weapon X project?
1992/1993.

In 1991, Jim Lee drew an X-Men cover in which Wolverine got the skin of his forearm blasted off, and it revealed spring-loaded mechanical tracks, and nobody from editorial had a problem with that.

In 1992, Peter David suggested ripping out Wolverine's adamantium, as a joke. And the X-writers took that joke seriously.

Actually, what happened was that we were all discussing how we were going to have Magneto's return be a big deal. The other writers were bouncing around the notion of a huge Magneto/Wolverine slugfest and I said, thinking out loud, "Boy, y'know, if I'm Magneto, I don't even bother with Wolverine. I just yank out his skeleton and be done with him." And there was dead silence for a moment, and then everyone looked at me and said, "That's a great idea."

And I said, "No, it's not."

And they said, "Yeah! It'll be a great visual!"

I said, "Well, sure, but then he's dead. He can't survive having his entire skeleton ripped out."

"He has a healing factor!"

"Healing factor?! If you rip out his whole skeleton, he's a pile of flesh on the floor! He'll be a healed pile of flesh! What'll he do? Ooze at people?!"

See, my vision of it was that Magneto ripped out the entire skeleton, not just excises the adamantium that was laced into it. Figures that my biggest contribution to X-continuity was simply voicing a passing thought.

Magneto rips Wolverine's adamantium out in 1993, and he immediately gets bone claw replacements, because the writers don't want a Wolverine who doesn't have claws and doesn't snikt people (although they were very open to the idea of a feral Wolverine who has no nose). They prepared the bone claws idea while they were getting ready for the adamantium removal.

Before that, Wolverine was just a mutant with a healing factor, which allowed the Weapon X project to inject veins of molten adamantium into his bones, making them unbreakable (and also impossible for his healing factor to reject, since adamantium is indestructable and it's roots are permeated into his bones). His claws (unlike his bones) were laser-sharpened solid adamantium, implanted surgically, by Weapon X. If existing bone claws were surgically replaced with adamantium claws, it doesn't make much sense as to why his body wouldn't simply ignore the adamantium and re-grow his bone claws immediately. But then, maybe his claws were just "coated" with adamantium. I dunno. I think it was a really stupid story idea, and they should've gone with a claw-less Wolverine after he got his adamantium removed.

Oct 8, 2019
That's weird. Did she recover from it?

At the time Kara Zor El had died in Crisis on Infinite Earth, and since editorial had a "Superman is the only Kryptonian" rule she got replaced with Matrix a protoplasmic shapeshifter who took on the appearance of Supergirl. Later Matrix would combine with a dying girl called Linda Danvers to form a new Supergirl

The thing is that because most people only knew Supergirl as Superman's cousin, and not the protoplasmic shapeshifter it just looked like Doomsday had hit Supergirl so hard that it ripped off all of her skin and left her as something resembling a burnt corpse.

In early 2000's someone explained Supergirls complicated backstory to the new editorial, and they immediately put together a new storyline where Superman's cousin was revealed to have survived the destruction of Krypton.

dc.fandom.com

Matrix (Pocket Universe)

Matrix was a protoplasmic, shape-shifting life form created by an alternate Lex Luthor. She was Supergirl for a while. Main article: Supergirl: The Supergirl Saga In a Pocket Universe alternate reality, three Kryptonian criminals escaped the Phantom Zone, and tried to take over that reality's...

dc.fandom.com

Linda Danvers (New Earth)

Linda Danvers was one of the bearers of the Supergirl mantle for a short while since her merging with the former Supergirl until her retirement. Linda Danvers was originally an ordinary young girl in Leesburg. Raised in a Christian household, she grew up in church, and became good friends with...

dc.fandom.com

Superman/Batman Vol 1 8

"The Supergirl From Krypton, Part 1 of 6: Alone": A Kryptonite meteor has fallen on Earth, spreading Kryptonite bits all over the world. Superman (depressed at being the last Kryptonian) is confined to the Fortress of Solitude while everyone else deals with the aftermath. This is Kara Zor-El...

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
At the time Kara Zor El had died in Crisis on Infinite Earth, and since editorial had a "Superman is the only Kryptonian" rule she got replaced with Matrix a protoplasmic shapeshifter who took on the appearance of Supergirl. Later Matrix would combine with a dying girl called Linda Danvers to form a new Supergirl

The thing is that because most people only knew Supergirl as Superman's cousin, and not the protoplasmic shapeshifter it just looked like Doomsday had hit Supergirl so hard that it ripped off all of her skin and left her as something resembling a burnt corpse.

In early 2000's someone explained Supergirls complicated backstory to the new editorial, and they immediately put together a new storyline where Superman's cousin was revealed to have survived the destruction of Krypton.

dc.fandom.com

Matrix (Pocket Universe)

Matrix was a protoplasmic, shape-shifting life form created by an alternate Lex Luthor. She was Supergirl for a while. Main article: Supergirl: The Supergirl Saga In a Pocket Universe alternate reality, three Kryptonian criminals escaped the Phantom Zone, and tried to take over that reality's...

dc.fandom.com

Linda Danvers (New Earth)

Linda Danvers was one of the bearers of the Supergirl mantle for a short while since her merging with the former Supergirl until her retirement. Linda Danvers was originally an ordinary young girl in Leesburg. Raised in a Christian household, she grew up in church, and became good friends with...

dc.fandom.com

Superman/Batman Vol 1 8

"The Supergirl From Krypton, Part 1 of 6: Alone": A Kryptonite meteor has fallen on Earth, spreading Kryptonite bits all over the world. Superman (depressed at being the last Kryptonian) is confined to the Fortress of Solitude while everyone else deals with the aftermath. This is Kara Zor-El...

That's interesting. Thanks for explaining!

Oct 8, 2019
That's interesting. Thanks for explaining!

General Zod is another interesting one because all the kids who grew up watching Superman II wanted to write General Zod, but since you have the "Superman is the Last Krytponian" they had to write around this with

General Zod from a pocket Universe
dc.fandom.com

Dru-Zod (Brainiac 13) (New Earth)

General Zod was created by Brainiac 13 for a recreation of Krypton. When Superman and Lois Lane visited a version of Krypton which is later revealed to have been created by Brainiac 13 and based on Jor-El's favorite period in Kryptonian history. On this version of Krypton, he was the head of the...

A Russian man who took the name after being contacted by the ghost of the original General Zod from the previous universe
dc.fandom.com

Avruskin (New Earth)

I am your destroyer. I am the one that will bring you to your knees and show you the world before I tear it to pieces and remake it as my own. General Zod Avruskin a.k.a. General Zod was the dictator of Pokolistan. Avruskin was the son of two Russian cosmonauts who were part of a Soviet plan to...

Once again once they undid the Superman is last Kryptonian rule, they just brought back General Zod
dc.fandom.com

Dru-Zod II (New Earth)

In Krypton's final days, General Zod served as the leader of military defense for the Kryptonian Science Council. He survived the desctruction of the planet through the Phantom Zone. After being released from the Zone, he became a menace to Superman on Earth. Upon learning of the scientific...

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
Death of Superman of course.
Knightfall was more talked about than the adamantium being ripped off wolverine. I remember this page being in particular.

zpG0ZJH.png

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC it was just hinted at back then. There was still some mystery left, and honestly, that's the way it should've stayed. Wolverine has never been as cool as he was back when we were all guessing.

He jumped the shark in the 90's then stuck a bone claw in it.

Marvel has been shitting on Wolverine for 20 + years now. They just don't know what to do with him.

Still can't understand why they gave him his memory back after house of M and what it achieved.

Even Jason Aaron who is a guy who likes Wolverine and got his break on comics with a Wolverine story doesn't know what to do with him.

Granted professor Wolverine was a cool idea and that comic was really good…but it was too short and it's all but forgotten now.