• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one of these was more talked about at the time?

• Death of Superman

Votes: 934 94.6%
  • Wolverine losing his Adamantium

Votes: 53 5.4%

• Total voters

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
This is like asking what was a bigger deal; the Death of Superman, or Tony Stark turning into a pubescent.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm shocked this is even a question. They're not even in the same stratosphere.

I mean, there are other 90s stories that would make much more sense in the poll like Knightfall and The Clone Saga and those still would come nowhere close to Death of Superman.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nerd, explain how the thumb claw works
333.jpg
Fuck Romulus. Trash ass character.

OP
OP
CorpseLight

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I am actually really surprised at the poll results.

Sure, Death of Superman made the news, but I wasnt watching the news at 13 years old. I was talking about video games and comics and stuff with my friends. We all thought Superman was wicked lame, and X-Men was cool, and Wolverine was the coolest.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The better question is what was more culturally significant, the death of Supes or the the breaking of Batman's back. DC owned owned the market on bullshit, attention-grabbing mega-events at the time.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

Sure, Death of Superman made the news, but I wasnt watching the news at 13 years old. I was talking about video games and comics and stuff with my friends. We all thought Superman was wicked lame, and X-Men was cool, and Wolverine was the coolest.
Sure, but certainly you can acknowledge that outside of you child-hood circle, the Death of Superman had far great cultural reach and impact than Wolverine being slightly inconvenienced in a niche comic book enthusiast story?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

By your own admission, Death of Superman made the nightly news. You wouldn't see another nerd medium that broke into the mainstream like that until Episode I was about to be released in theaters a few years later. Meanwhile, Wolverine didn't matter to anyone outside of kids and nerds reading comics at the time.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Did they even cover the adamantium removal in the cartoons?

I'm honestly surprised it took so long for them to do a story like that -- you'd think it would be obvious given that Magneto is such a common villain for Wolverine.

No, they never touched it. That comic arc hit at like peak cartoon popularity though.

In fact I bet there's a lot of people from that era who remember Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped out but couldn't tell you how or when it came back.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In fact I bet there's a lot of people from that era who remember Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped out but couldn't tell you how or when it came back.
I would definitely be among those people. I definitely remember when he go the adamantium removed and a period afterwards where he had bone claws.....but I have no idea when he was restored to 100%.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
And honestly, who outside of hardcore nerds even cared about any of the post-adamantium Wolverine stuff? All that nose-lacking goofy bull-shit? Superman's death lead to to the Return of Superman storyline, and the multiple Supermen, which was a huge deal amongst my comic-reading friends at the time.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Death of Superman by a large margin. This is the first I'm hearing about Wolverine losing his adamantium.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bone claws are still one of the dumbest fucking retcons of all time.

They ruined Wolverine #10 with that stupid shit.
I had a pet theory when I was a kid, which solved the "bone claws" retcon.

Excalibur once fought a villain who could transmute anything into anything. He turned some people into gold. He ended up having to go to medical school to try to find a way to change them back, because "people" are complex organisms and he has no way of knowing what something's original state was (good luck putting the solid-gold brain back to normal and having it still be the original person).

Wolverine tried to kill him. He defended himself by turning Wolverine's claws into rubber. After things settled down, he did Wolverine the courtesy of turning his rubber claws back into adamantium.

Therefore, it doesn't matter what Wolverine's claws were made of before he met this guy. He turned Wolvie's [whatever] claws into rubber, and then he turned Wolvie's rubber claws into adamantium-coated bone, because he just assumed that Wolverine was a weirdo mutant who had bone claws that were coated with adamantium. The state of Wolverine's claws shortly before the adamantium removal was entirely based on the random guess of a guy who didn't know what he was doing.

Megadragon15

Oct 27, 2017
You should have compared Wolverine losing his Adamantium to Hal Jordon going insane and becoming Parallax. Both relatively unknown and stuck in the 1990s.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member when DC Comics killed Robin by having a phone in hotline to let fans vote (pre-internet days), lol.

733323.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did they even cover the adamantium removal in the cartoons?

I'm honestly surprised it took so long for them to do a story like that -- you'd think it would be obvious given that Magneto is such a common villain for Wolverine.

Oddly enough, Magneto became mostly an allied character by the time of the run that starts with Giant Size X-Men #1, which introduced many iconic characters to the team like Wolverine and Storm, as well as Magneto's concentration camp survivor backstory. So, during the 80s, they barely actually clashed as enemies. Magneto returned to being an antagonist by the 90s though, so they actually pulled the adamantium removal fairly quickly once Magneto was a constant enemy again.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking from New Zealand, Superman is less popular here and we were all hyped up on the X-Men cartoon, so for me at least as a kid, the Wolverine news was bigger.
Wat.

Speaking from New Zealand (lol), Death of Superman was a big enough event that I actually heard about it, whereas I didn't find out about the Wolverine's adamantium thing until I was a teenager.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oddly enough, Magneto became mostly an allied character by the time of Giant Size X-Men #1, which is the start of the run that introduced many iconic characters to the team like Wolverine and Storm, as well as Magneto's concentration camp survivor backstory. So, during the 80s, they barely actually clashed as enemies. Magneto returned to being an antagonist by the 90s though, so they actually pulled the adamantium removal fairly quickly once Magneto was a constant enemy again.

Say what now? The very first time the new team runs into Mags he tosses Wolverine around like a rag doll. The Magneto anti-hero stuff was later.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, Magneto became mostly an allied character by the time of Giant Size X-Men #1, which is the start of the run that introduced many iconic characters to the team like Wolverine and Storm, as well as Magneto's concentration camp survivor backstory. So, during the 80s, they barely actually clashed as enemies. Magneto returned to being an antagonist by the 90s though, so they actually pulled the adamantium removal fairly quickly once Magneto was a constant enemy again.
Wow, huh....I never knew that Magneto spent much time as an ally of the X-Men. I only read comic in the 90's though, but always remember him as a mortal enemy.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Death of Superman was just yuuuuuge. I still have my first Steel issues.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Death of superman, no contest.

The only time I ever bought a comic was the after the 4 new new supermen that tried to vie for the title of superman

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Fatal Attractions was bigger among my friends (mainly for the hologram covers), but Death of Superman by far. Was the first "death" comic book story to break into the mainstream consciousness.

Wolverine #75 also laid the groundwork for Onslaught, so there's that too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what point was it decided that Wolverine's claws were a "natural" part of his mutation and not something added by the Weapon X project?