• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
That's because of the sheer gullibility of people. Anyone that genuinely bought into this deserves to be made fun of.
That's not true at all. And extremely toxic. These same people had all their theories proven true when the games came out. Like the Surgeon theory you reference as silly, which turned out to be true(did you not play that game?).

There's always a meme aspect to theories(like Chico is Quiet) and there's always far fringe people like Python Snake. But pointing out coincidences and connections and having fun isn't something that deserves your toxicity.

VirtuaCider

May 15, 2020
Sony need to step in on this. Having a studio with their backing pull this kind of nonsense makes them look incompetent as well.

I don't know what Sony can do contractually, but there's been deceit -- not starting with fans -- so I agree this needs to be shut down so he can be ignored rather than harassed or further hyped.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
What I don't get, if he's concerned about having too much hype and a backlash because the game truly is indie then why are they stoking the flames with this countdown? It's just making it look even worse. It makes no sense at all so either it's not done by them and it's a third party. It's them and continuing promotion of their indie game while also putting out a message that they don't want to overhype or it's a Silent Hills ARG.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Sony isn't publishing their game, though. This literally isn't their problem.
It still makes them look bad, especially since they'll step in on cyberpunk, but not this. Everyone has been wanting Sony to try again with silent hill after the PT situation and this whole debacle is just not a good look after that.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Which makes it even weirder lol

Why would they go from TLOU2 to working with someone who has never shipped an actual game?
And even Halo Infinite. Shows how much all this story is suspect. An incognito indie collaborating with Sony since 2015 and outsourcing their game to a studio that helped in in big AAA games.
Or you know, they make art for dozens of different games from small indies to AAA titles, and they almost exclusively put the AAA titles on their website.

Here's an outsourcing studio who went from games like Sekiro, Death Stranding to working on indie titles like No Straight Roads.
www.passionrepublic.com

Work

We barely understand how the front line studios work behind the scenes, let alone how small behind the scene outsourcing studios work.

Trying to make a very normal thing into a bigger deal is just going to lead to disappointment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It still makes them look bad, especially since they'll step in on cyberpunk, but not this. Everyone has been wanting Sony to try again with silent hill after the PT situation and this whole debacle is just not a good look after that.

Outside of people being unable to let go of internet fan theories, why would people want Sony to try again with an IP they don't own?

Silent Hill isn't Sony's responsibility, and people assuming the two have to be connected for so long, especially after everything that happened with Bokeh, just feels weird.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all. And extremely toxic. These same people had all their theories proven true when the games came out. Like the Surgeon theory you reference as silly, which turned out to be true(did you not play that game?).

There's always a meme aspect to theories(like Chico is Quiet) and there's always far fringe people like Python Snake. But pointing out coincidences and connections and having fun isn't something that deserves your toxicity.
Oh, so head transplant doctor Sergio Canavero actually was making announcements about an experimental surgical procedure as part of an elaborate ARG related to Metal Gear Solid V, and not as a doctor with over a hundred published papers who was sucked into the vortex of weird rumor based entirely on fan hot air, despite his denials and threats to sue Konami?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Cyberpunk did release though, in an abysmal state counter to what has been promised.

If Abandoned does the same, maybe they will. But I don't expect them to take pre-emptive action against an unreleased game based on poor/unintended marketing.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Outside of people being unable to let go of internet fan theories, why would people want Sony to try again with an IP they don't own?

Silent Hill isn't Sony's responsibility, and people assuming the two have to be connected for so long, especially after everything that happened with Bokeh, just feels weird.
Sony can do it justice and have to see the buzz and excitement around just a rumor of the game. People are thirsty for a Silent Hill game that Sony could benefit from having on their system.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony can do it justice and have to see the buzz and excitement around just a rumor of the game. People are thirsty for a Silent Hill game that Sony could benefit from having on their system.

And yet it's not their IP. People need to make their peace with the fact that Sony is under no onus to go around making third parties' games for them just because a couple people might like that.

We're not even getting Bloodborne 2 and Sony owns that IP. Why would they try to make a team to make a Silent Hill game for Konami?

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Oh, so head transplant doctor Sergio Canavero actually was making announcements about an experimental surgical procedure as part of an elaborate ARG related to Metal Gear Solid V, and not as a doctor with over a hundred published papers who was sucked into the vortex of weird rumor based entirely on fan hot air, despite his denials and threats to sue Konami?
Friend, I don't even remember that theory. If I even heard it I totally don't remember.

I thought they were referencing the medic in GZ.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Like the Surgeon theory you reference as silly, which turned out to be true(did you not play that game?).
It did not turn out to be true. You're getting two different things mixed up. People figured out the twist with the medic in MGSV immediately, but people also thought that an Italian neurosurgeon named Sergio Canavero appearing in the news for his claims about head transplants being feasible was actually all part of viral marketing for TPP; he bore a strong resemblance to the plastic surgeon at the start of TPP when you're in the hospital in Cyprus. It turned out to be nothing despite the internet going nuts over it in the same exact way. Some modeler at Konami probably just saw the guy in the news and thought "hey, a Mediterranean doctor doing experimental procedures" and used him as a visual reference, and the guy himself got upset at the idea of his likeness was being stolen and considered suing. He was in the news still claiming to be working on head transplants as of 2019.

Joakim Mogren wasn't CG.
Chico wasn't Quiet.
Kiefer Sutherland wasn't a smokescreen for David Hayter to be voicing the real Snake.
The Italian doctor wasn't viral marketing.
MGSV wasn't connected to Silent Hills.
Chapter 3 wasn't a hidden end to the story that had to be solved like a puzzle on Reddit to come out.
Kojima really left Konami, it wasn't a ruse.
Death Stranding was not Metal Gear 0: MGSV: Chapter 3: Silent Hills 2 about Solid Snake's disembodied head on the moon or whatever the fuck the r/NeverBeGameOver people ended up thinking before they moved onto hyping up Abandoned twice

That's what literally all this is. People half-assedly tried to guess at an MGS2-like twist for 3 and 4 (3 is a VR simulation of the 60s! Snake isn't really old in 4!) and then gave up, but for whatever reason Kojima trying to poorly replicate 2's ruse with V caused people to go into overdrive with this continuous search for The Big Ruse. I guess maybe people didn't want to admit that the twist was literally just Venom Snake and that it was so easy to figure out, and decided to spend years coming up with a more shocking one. Maybe they just want to cope with Kojima leaving Konami. For whatever reason it is, it's been the same crowd trying to preach to the internet about how there's some giant massive real conspiracy regarding MGSV and Silent Hills that nobody has figured out yet, and what it supposedly is keeps changing over time, and they've been at it for years now.

Last edited:

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I love the idea of Cory playing along with the whole thing. There's an irreverent side of him that I can appreciate, but this isn't the time or place for it unless he's actually working on Silent Hill or he's privy to info on an imminent announcement. Silent Hill fans have suffered for over a decade in the worst ways. Cash grabs, cynical spinoffs that diminish or undermine the spirit of the originals, cancellation after cancellation...

Just don't. Or announce your Silent Hill game. Whichever.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
And yet it's not their IP. People need to make their peace with the fact that Sony is under no onus to go around making third parties' games for them just because a couple people might like that.

We're not even getting Bloodborne 2 and Sony owns that IP. Why would they try to make a team to make a Silent Hill game for Konami?
I don't think anyone said Sony had to do it in house. Maybe have it as a third party exclusive with support from first party like Bloodborne and what PT seemed to be heading towards.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017

Why does it have to be their IP to want it for their system and give their system value? Why can't fans of the game want a quality pub to work out a deal for them to provide that game? I don't understand the issue other than Konami not utilizing it's wealth of IP's to their fullest.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone said Sony had to do it in house. Maybe have it as a third party exclusive like what PT seed to be heading towards.

Silent Hills was going to be multiplatform, from everything I had heard. The DEMO was PS4-exclusive for marketing purposes, but Silent Hills was going to be on everything that could run the FOX Engine.

Keibe

Nov 21, 2020
Maybe it's what we can't see. Or it's what we can see but we dont want to. Real or not, who knows. Sure, it will end soon. Eager.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
Behind the scene
20210625-184231.jpg

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being them, i would still sue them lol. And make a public statement and annonce a kind of "fight back for my I.P right".

Ok maybe not that hard if they are really a little studio. But enough to show other to not try that again.

I'm not US law connaisseur, but pretty sure they can for copyright/impersonating/misleading their IP.

I used to practice law.

There is no suit here. Come on.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Silent Hills was going to be multiplatform, from everything I had heard. The DEMO was PS4-exclusive for marketing purposes, but Silent Hills was going to be on everything that could run the FOX Engine.
I don't see how Sony having a franchise with a hardcore dedicated fanbase associated with their platform would be a bad thing or something to be avoided. Moves like that are part of why the ps4 did so well last gen.

They could mess around and have someone else step in to take full advantage in the wake of a debacle like this if they don't do something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Sony having a franchise with a hardcore dedicated fanbase associated with their platform would be a bad thing or something to be avoided. Moves like that are part of why the ps4 did so well last gen.

I don't think it's a bad thing or something to be avoided, I just don't think they see enough value in Silent Hill to go out of their way for it. If Konami chose to make another one they might try to maneuver marketing rights or timed exclusivity or whatever because that's a low-risk/high-reward kind of action, but trying to convince another company to make a game for Konami through them? Assuming all the financial/staffing/production risk for a niche horror game in an IP they have no ownership of or control over?

That just doesn't seem like Sony's style. Especially modern Sony.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It seems Jason is blocking everyone that reminds him he contributed to this. Not very professional.
Lol
I personally learned about this conspiracy theory from Jason's tweet.
So yeah, Jason absolutely contributed to it.

Anyway, the theory isn't debunked yet, right? 😏

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Or you know, they make art for dozens of different games from small indies to AAA titles, and they almost exclusively put the AAA titles on their website.

Here's an outsourcing studio who went from games like Sekiro, Death Stranding to working on indie titles like No Straight Roads.
www.passionrepublic.com

Work

We barely understand how the front line studios work behind the scenes, let alone how small behind the scene outsourcing studios work.

Trying to make a very normal thing into a bigger deal is just going to lead to disappointment.

That makes sense I guess... And to be clear, I'm not saying "Nuare is working on this, therefore Kojima!" I just mean it doesn't make sense to me that they would participate in a scam.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense I guess... And to be clear, I'm not saying "Nuare is working on this, therefore Kojima!" I just mean it doesn't make sense to me that they would participate in a scam.

If they're getting paid to make art, I don't think they care how big the project is or what the developer does with it, honestly. As long as Hasan doesn't breach the third party contract with them it's not really their problem.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I don't think it's a bad thing or something to be avoided, I just don't think they see enough value in Silent Hill to go out of their way for it. If Konami chose to make another one they might try to maneuver marketing rights or timed exclusivity or whatever because that's a low-risk/high-reward kind of action, but trying to convince another company to make a game for Konami through them? Assuming all the financial/staffing/production risk for a niche horror game in an IP they have no ownership of or control over?

That just doesn't seem like Sony's style. Especially modern Sony.
Fair enough, I'm just saying that weird deals have happened before. Part of me is still hoping that Sony would do exciting left field sort of stuff like that.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Friend, I don't even remember that theory. If I even heard it I totally don't remember.

I thought they were referencing the medic in GZ.
Fair enough. I can see how the phrasing could be confusing.

I've got nothing against people doing whatever speculation they want about the content of an upcoming game, and coming up with wild fan theories. Go nuts. This is something altogether different.

This Abandoned speculation reminded me of Sergio Canavero pretty quickly, and similarly to that, what started and seemed to many like a fun speculative game was something that sucked in some unrelated person who was now subject to an obsessive fan microscope they never asked for. As neat as the Joakim Mogren/Moby Dick Studios stunt must have seemed at the time, fans have taken it as an open door to assume that anyone and anything could be related to the Next Hideo Kojima Project, and while people like feeling like part of a conspiracy or on the verge of cracking a big secret, this sort of wild theorizing impacts real people.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the passionate people who are working on this project are able to jump ship as early as possible, because direction and management of this development studio is not acting on their best behalf and when things start getting ugly I hope no CEO, Creative Director or so thinks that "we had no idea why gamers are angry at the studio, we work our asses off" is an excuse. People working on the game absolutely are and they are not to blame, but whoever is handling communication with the public is messing up big time.

The degree in which people were literally conspiring about the game being Silent Hill and director being Kojima? Yeah, that's not on the management of this project. But overpromising, straight up lying (anyone who has committed a build to PSN knows everything they have said about the project is straight up made up. You can not delay the launch of something that very same day because the localization/content was not finished! Sony doesn't even approve you uploading anything into the store if it doesn't fit the criteria and you have to submit months in advance).

Like, part is to blame on the press, but to think that the narrative is switching to "poor Blue Box Games, they delayed the game because of the resetera thread and people thinking it was Silent Hill" and I honestly don't know why, feels like I'm losing something. I'm not even going to comment on this Hasan guy feeding into the "cospiracy" and straight up making references to it but acting like a "we are not Kojima guys :)" tweet was all he needed to say when the fire was still being fueled by announcing stuff taken from Silent Hills marketing texts, or features that not even AAA games have, like interactive in-engine trailers released on a brand new console.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think people should back off, but Sony should ask Blue Box to actually prove to them they have 10 employees and all that.

Because it's fairly clearly not true; I don't think the owner is a terrible person or anything, but they've been making claims on the internet that are suspect at best the entire time the company existed.

Or maybe Sony should ignore this and just let this die off as this guy will probably not create a real game anyways. I wouldn't want Sony making it harder for real indie devs making games in earnest to join up.

Status
Not open for further replies.