• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
"Their relationship should be comedic not romantic"
Disney treating gay people as a joke rather than actual humans

Oct 25, 2017
We rarely hear how prudish and uptight S&P really are. The bits we do get show just how bad it gets.
I recall one bit for The Simpsons where they complained about the line "Yeah, well Bart can kiss my hairy yellow butt" as they perceived it as "potentially homosexual".

It feels like the people that run it have never gone outside.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I had that on loop and had to turn it off because I was starting to laugh out loud too much in the office. I wish more S&P notes like this would come out.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
None of this surprises ne

Sometimes you have someone high up who has to say something to "justify" their job

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
the use of "approved in this context" also kills me lol. S&P have to give themselves an out next time.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad even such conservative twats didn't ruin the show and many of its awesomely crude jokes.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that would be a nightmare lol. Shit like this is why I don't feel comfortable with disney having their hands in every damn IP

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
As a non-american, what is S&P exactly. Google is not really giving me good info.
They're a division of the company that (in this case) scripts and likely art designs would have to be sent to before and during production to ensure the words/images aren't offensive or provocative in the slightest way. Disney being a giant "family brand' seems to be a lot more restrictive in completely ridiculous ways over things that may hurt said brand.

Jun 17, 2019
S&P is a pain in the ass, I get why they exist though, lord knows how many law suits a creator could get pulled into because of some idiot. Even House of Mouse had issues with S&P. They dropped safes on censor monekies, representing the censor board,when they cut the cartoons off for being too violent. No im not kidding, Mickey out right complains they're supposed to give Donald Duck broken bones for a slapstick routine. Its in the thread.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Willing to bet the staff of Invader Zim faced similar 'challenges' during production with Nickelodeon. Plenty of horror stories about it as well, though I believe none are actually confirmed by Vasquez.

Curious what kind of disapprovals the writers of Animaniacs faced during production lol
S&P was probably too busy scrutinizing BTAS. Though Bruce Timm says what S&P said half the time helped them get more creative. Like how Dick's parent's dying was originally meant to be shown.

Coolsambob

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
This video was hilarious but alarming at how much they look to cut just to avoid angry letters.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Read up on some of the ABC notes for Reboot Season 1, S and P boards have always been like this.
This was the first thing that came to mind, and for the unfamiliar, was notably a series flying by the seat of its pants enough that the eleventh episode was mostly about taking shots at S&P.

latest

Jun 17, 2019
Well I mean, not too long ago the idea of Hawkgirl dating John Stewart's GL would have been told to not happen. A decade before Gravity falls Alex couldn't even hint at some of the stuff that they got ghe okay for on a show. Yes Disney is trying to get brownie points but a lot has changed in the last decade, so the fact that they can not worry that the "think of the children" groups will dive head first into lawsuits is at least a positive turn.

Hell I still have early Young Avengers books where reads were screaming about Billy and Teddy, and thankfully Marvel stuck to its guns on that one, but my gosh it was bad, and same thing happen when Iron fist started to date Misty. All hell broke loose on the letters page over it.

So yeah I feel for him, but also I do get the juggling act these group's need to do when it comes to this sort of stuff. Especially on the international level.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that would be a nightmare lol. Shit like this is why I don't feel comfortable with disney having their hands in every damn IP
Absurd S+P censorship is nowhere near exclusive to Disney, although Disney's S+P department might be more restrictive than some others due to trying to maintain their "family friendly" image, and the homophobia seems like a betrayal because there aren't many corporations that pretend to be as woke as Disney does.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
This was hilarious XD
I've never watched Gravity Falls, too bad it's on Disney Plus.
If you want to catch any live content on Disney it is even worse. Disney + is a blessing.

Fun fact. Disney got a bug up its ass and delayed a big Amphibia season finale mere hours before it aired out of nowhere leading to a major leak.

Gravity Falls scheduling was equally as bad if not worse at times.