• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
tbh, I wouldn't make lets-play videos. Speaking personally, there's only two reasons I'd ever click on a lets-play video. Either its made by someone I already know and I'm watching for them rather than the game. Or its for a game I want to see gameplay of because I'm considering buying it, and even then there's at least a 50% chance I'll mute the audio to not hear the person talking.

You have to ask yourself, why would a random person click on your video over someone elses. What does it offer that more popular channels don't. If I see a video pop up in recommended that's a lets play of a random game by some random person I've never heard of, there's a zero percent chance I'm clicking on it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Made one with like 12 videos one time when I was sick and moved on. It has 301 subs. :>

It wasn't for games tho. There's so much for games.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
So I'm no expert, don't even have my own channel, but as a viewer I think a few things to consider: What do you offer that bigger channels don't already? People have limited time, even if you do what you do well, if a bunch of other people are doing the same thing but they're already more visible people aren't going to be inclined to look for you that much. In that sense I don't think focusing on Niche games is necessarily a detriment. The individual games may have less views but there's likely also less competition so people searching for the content might find you more easily. That said it's probably not a bad idea to use something slightly more popular at least every now and then if not necessarily mainstream. If all the games you play are tiny it's also less likely people will search in the first place (and if you do rely on those you probably want to put out content more frequently to broaden the net). Also consider exactly what angle you can provide and what you want to deliver in your videos. Youtube is full of competition so you need something you can do that stands out. I feel like a jack of all trades is destined to fail in this sort of environment

there is some truth to this.

the content i make these days is focused on Mario Kart and F-Zero mostly since it's the stuff i've done the longest in my life and that still feels more like fun than work to do.
despite F-Zero being deader than dead, F-Zero videos i make trend to be way more popular than the Mario Kart ones despite the latter being orders of magnitude more popular. it's a very uderserved series since i noticed a while ago that no one even bothers making videos at all because "it's not profitable". even a town with 3 people needs a sheriff.
also, i made my goal years ago to be the first person to beat every F-Zero game's grand prix mode in the hardest difficulty with every ship that exists in every game in the series since it's pretty much a finished series. it's helped me have the motivation to do so and sustain it for a long time now (i've already done it with X and GX and now i'm moving to the GBA games). the point here is that consistency really does help in creating content.

i do daily content since it's a lot of short videos (time trial) mixed with long videos (all cup runs) and it somewhat works at least to keep content flowing and activity.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I know the feeling OP. I'm just now at 534. Just passed the 13yr mark. 597 videos. PM me your channel and I'll sub. : )

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
OP, looked at the channel, here are a few points:

You seem to play a lot of small itch.io horror games. First of all the aesthetic/vibe that you're going for doesn't really go super well with the style of games. Also I think the commentary isn't giving me a sense of your personality. It seems like banter that fills the air time but I don't really get a chance to relate to you through the content. I'd say that you should try to find games where you can express yourself a bit better and maybe do some videos that aren't let's plays so that you can establish what you are about. I don't feel that the early bits of your videos have a "hook" so I'm not super enticed to continue watching or learning more about you. i think you should try to draw viewers in a bit more. Clickbait gets people clicking on the video but you also gotta retain them as watchers. You can also look at other youtubers playing the same games you are and see how their thumbnails and the content of the videos are different to get some ideas.

Secondarily, the games are pretty small and niche games, though you've also tried Ghostwire. While the games are fine, I don't think they're exactly SEO fodder. You might want to focus a bit on "trending" games. Also if I were looking to learn more about the games themselves, your videos don't really give me that vibe either. I'd say either go for mini reviews or go full on on your personality.

Finally, your thumbnails/titles aren't really enticing me. I can see that you're trying to follow "the formula", but I don't think it works well. The reaction faces don't do it for me because I don't know your personality yet, and since you're playing blurry lofi horror games they don't make for good salient images in the thumbnails.

Overall, I can see that you're trying and doing a lot of the right things categorically, but I think you don't have the right mix of them yet. The bad news is that the current format just isn't right - the lack of viewership isn't because of the algorithm or whatever but the content isn't super enticing. But it could get there with some tweaks, that's the good news.

I do wish you the best, as I can tell that you do put a lot into the content.
Now this is good advice, thank you!

I think the issue is that whenever I branch out into games that I have to pay for, they're some of the worst performing videos I've ever put out on my channel. Things like Project Zero, Ghostwire, Elden Ring, all struggle to get out of single digits, so I did more niche indie games and found they do better, but obviously in this case "better" is like, 10 views better.

You don't get a chance to relate to me through the content you say... Gotcha. I hear you. Makes sense. I don't know exactly how I'll break through there, but it's good to hear. Again, feels like maybe the focus might be a little more on streaming first, curated videos second. If I get even 1 viewer chatting it means the video becomes more about the interaction than me carrying the content...

I can work on a better method of hooking in the first 30 seconds, and am currently in the process of doing just that actually. Still on videos that are upcoming, but it has been on my mind for a while now, I've just been trying to figure out exactly how to make it something that works organically for me.

Ironically I don't know about the thumbnails. I can definitely make them better for sure, but leaning heavily into "the formulae" has increased my click through rate by almost double, so it's a step in the right direction at the very least. Maybe I need to start thinking about tying the "Hook" with the thumbnail so that immediately that 1-2 punch of curiosity and feedback happens back to back. I could figure that out too for sure.

I have a script written up for an old game from the 1990s that I've been wanting to get out for ages, but it scares me!!! Also that's super niche too so I'm not really expecting much to come from that, but it would be cool to do so at least I can show myself that I can do it.

I appreciate all of this. Really helpful advice, thank you so much spam musubi!

ALSO for those asking for the channel, I only don't want to list it here because of self-promo rules, but please feel free to message me if you want a link to it. Any feedback like the above would be fantastic! Anything at all, good or bad

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
TikTok seems to work. I've seen multiple vtubers and even a regular guy who has videos very similar to yours get massive boosts from posting highlights or memes to TikTok.

I agree with the ideas as well to find an untapped market. Civvie has old FPS games, Mandalore weird and obscure, Grimbeard weirder and obscurer.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is good advice, thank you!

I think the issue is that whenever I branch out into games that I have to pay for, they're some of the worst performing videos I've ever put out on my channel. Things like Project Zero, Ghostwire, Elden Ring, all struggle to get out of single digits, so I did more niche indie games and found they do better, but obviously in this case "better" is like, 10 views better.

First of all, if paying for the games is an issue, I understand. I think this also goes into the personality thing. Like everyone is playing elden ring, but for example if you're doing a twist on elden ring, like "i played elden ring as slenderman" or something and you just kill everything with inescapable frenzy, or something. Since you're not a known personality, your hook would be the gimmick. Ghostwire, I hate to say this, is kind of a boring game with no way to express yourself. (I really wanted that game to be good and I love TEW2 but it is what it is). You have to find games in which you can express yourself. Even something like getting over it clones would work, or immersive sims, or open ended games etc. Linear bite sized horror games just have very little room for you to express anything I feel like, other than screaming at jump scares lol

You don't get a chance to relate to me through the content you say... Gotcha. I hear you. Makes sense. I don't know exactly how I'll break through there, but it's good to hear. Again, feels like maybe the focus might be a little more on streaming first, curated videos second. If I get even 1 viewer chatting it means the video becomes more about the interaction than me carrying the content...

Streaming might work, but it's also hard to engage with a small viewer base for sure. One way around it could be playing "social" games maybe? I mean Among Us is a played out example at this point but like, that's something where your personality can shine. Or any open ended open world/open ended style game where you can play a character.

I can work on a better method of hooking in the first 30 seconds, and am currently in the process of doing just that actually. Still on videos that are upcoming, but it has been on my mind for a while now, I've just been trying to figure out exactly how to make it something that works organically for me.

I would try to look at some other channels and see what they do. Just look at channels you like that are successful and try to think about what the beginning of the video makes you feel and why it compels you.

Ironically I don't know about the thumbnails. I can definitely make them better for sure, but leaning heavily into "the formulae" has increased my click through rate by almost double, so it's a step in the right direction at the very least. Maybe I need to start thinking about tying the "Hook" with the thumbnail so that immediately that 1-2 punch of curiosity and feedback happens back to back. I could figure that out too for sure.

I'm not saying don't follow the formula, you should follow it. What I'm saying is that I think you should apply the formula better. You're following it to the letter, with a reaction shot, something else in frame, and a red arrow, but there is still so much variety in how those elements could be applied.

Here's an example:

Thumbnail is the Tree Sentinel from Elden Ring. Anyone who played the game can relate to that moment. The premise is demonstrated with a panicked face and a speedrun timer at nearly 7 hours. You immediately wonder "is this dude really gonna fight the tree sentinel for 7 hours?" and he really does. And his personality comes through - anyone else would either give up or try to cheese it, but no - he just grinds his way and beats it through sheer perseverance despite not being good at the game. So there is a hook, some curiosity. And then the beginning is some jokes, some funny moments from the early game, before we get to the meat of it. If we just went into clips from 7 hours of grinding the tree sentinel that wouldn't be that fun to watch. But we get a preamble, some random quick bits to keep you engaged and give you a sense of personality, then we get to the real meat. With a lot of your thumbnails, I don't get what I'm supposed to be looking at, nothing really recognizable, and the faces convey some general shock but it doesn't really tie to the rest of the premise in a specific way.

Here's another one:

Anyone who played Mario Maker can relate that spring spam is miserable, and you can see an overload of springs in the thumbnail, alongside the creator raging. Video opens with a sample of what's to come to give you a taste, then we jump into the setup, and some gameplay without further ado. Having someone to bounce off of is a good way to demonstrate character, and the content itself is basically a challenge level so again there's a gimmick. Games like Mario Maker are a goldmine for content, but obviously not within your genre, but something like Phasmophobia, Hunt: Showdown, or any of the survival sim style games like The Forest, Zomboid, 7 Days to Die etc might be good opportunities for you to do gimmick playthroughs. I'm not super well versed in the free itch.io horror scene but surely there are some games in that niche that would allow for this type of stuff as well. You just have to find your own angle on how to play a game, as just straight playing through it isn't a unique thing.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I've been streaming on Twitch for since I created my account there sometime in July of 2012, and sometime in 2015 I decided to start archiving my completed playthroughs of the games that I've already streamed on my Youtube channel since I noticed that discoverability on Twitch (if it had any at that time) is nonexistent and thinking that Youtube discoverability is going to be better. People are going to tell you that consistency and following trends are important, but that won't matter if people can't actually find your videos. Tracking if people like your content is clear enough since that is easily reflected in watch time and subscription count, but tracking your discoverability is extremely hard.

Although that I've been uploading content to my channel since 2015, I've been uploading "Let's Play" content since January 16, 2019 and have been doing so till this day, everyday. Every. Single. Day.

One of my most watched playthroughs that I have on the channel is a let's play of Shadow Hearts Covenant. This is the result I get when I search for "let's play shadow hearts covenant":
S9J9HX1.png

Content creation was never a thing that I thought of perusing and doing what I do is just a small hobby for me to enjoy, but I would make having people find my videos easily my top priority if I were to take it seriously.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Alright OP no need to gloat.

I've have 68 subscribers and I've been around since Google Video, the service before they converted to YouTube lmao.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
It's not easy but I'm four years in with 14.5k subs and hit a constant 8K watch time every day but I do think content type is the key so I run a few play lists that cover completely different topics.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Same here tbh, 453 subs which I suspect are mostly dead accounts now since I started at PS4 launch.

But I don't monetize or even bother to put tags in my videos haha. I make mostly fighting game montages for me.

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
The honest advice I can give you is that this is largely stream content. Your leading competition is NOT youtubers - it's streamers, and slightly streamers cutting their equivilant content into longform videos or 10-20m recaps of a stream (see: Atrioc speedrunning super mario 64). Are you playing niche games or new trendy games? What do you offer that I can't get by mindlessly watching XQC play through it as the game of the week. And yes - this IS your competition. Because end of the day, me playing inscryption streamed to a half dozen friends has nothing on a big streamer playing it and going it's not a stream game and moving on.
The other advice I can give you is honestly ask yourself if you'd watch your content if you weren't the one creating it. The answer of "well no, because I'd just play those games myself" isn't good enough anymore - if your answer isn't a yes, you probably fail the test that everyone else is failing. Your content NEEDS to be relevant to the average person wanting to watch it, or else you're just SOL for entertaining anyone.

tl;dr watch ludwig on streaming - I really would argue your contents not youtube content in 2022. Clickbaity as shit, but I watched him at 20 viewers and it was obvious he was going to blow up from year 1.

Good advice to watch this video btw
39719ca9-fcfb-4f39-8cd0-17bbc1ae7bb2-profile_image-300x300.png

Having been around the streaming stuff for a while its....interesting..especially in 2022.
Youtube at this point is quite frankly a terrible starting place, and it has been for years, like literally almost a decade

Twitch unfortunately is very much like that too at this point albeit not as bad (Youtube Gaming and Facebook Gaming is a straight up meme dont bother).
Even so its waaaaay easier to find an audience there and bring them over to Youtube than it is the other way around.

Its pretty damn late so I wont write much but an easy way to see improvement is make sure to take time on those thumbnails and titles, DO NOT be afraid of changing them after the upload, if its not gaining enough traffic some adjustment to either of those can spike interest hopefully getting it to where you can ride the algorithm train.

Seriously go and look at trends, Lets Plays are not really a growing side of Gaming Youtube and hasnt been for a long time, thankfully the type of content that is popular at the moment is stuff you can stream and then cut down and edit for Youtube later. A Twitch stream in 2022 are unedited Youtube videos.

Edit: Also...post on Tik Tok.

Last edited:

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I don't always watch horror game videos, but when I do… I am more likely to click if the thumbnail looks something like what IGP does. Generally that's a nicely color graded grotesque monster.

But honestly, I fear that at this point the Youtube algorithm might have buried your channel to point where it would be a struggle to change it.

Looking at your most popular semi-recent video, it's a pretty short one. Maybe the algorithm favored it because a lot of people watched the whole thing?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Also...post on Tik Tok.
This too. I know its cringe or whatever if the average age of this site didn't tank after gaf->era (ie, if you're mid 20s or above), but like, just do it. You need to build the brand, no two ways about it.

The second thing would be to be very cautious about following "what worked for me" advice. When you watch or read a "what worked for me" story, what you think you're getting is "if I do this, I will be successful", and what you're actually getting is "I am successful, and I once did this". Many successful people got lucky and over-interpret small actions they took as being the cause of their success when it was luck. Some successful people have genuinely good habits, but don't know which ones actually helped make them successful. So this advice is often neither necessary nor sufficient, and sometimes not even helpful.

That's actually why I hard argued for ludwig - dudes made videos viral on alt accounts to prove the point in secret that anyone can do it and he's also been obviously going to the very top since 20 viewers. Best case I've known ever for "wow this guy really isn't following the room and is actually here to be creative" shit. Don't be generic!

Content creation was never a thing that I thought of perusing and doing what I do is just a small hobby for me to enjoy, but I would make having people find my videos easily my top priority if I were to take it seriously.
This ones not easy. The algorithm which is pretty much a ML black box is what determines results. It also bases it off what you watch. It doesn't really give a shit if you subscribe anymore. If you watch videos about x from person y, they'll be in your feed tomorrow. All your sub does is toss another thing into the bucket.
Gotta actually be better than the rest.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel you OP - I've been trying to stream on Twitch for about a year now and organically, follows come in at a snails pace and I need to get lucky to get someone to chat.

I've tried it without informing any of my friend about it to see where I'd end up without them but even getting to affiliate is gonna be a pipe dream for me.

I'm streaming once or twice a week, I play through the games I start and I think the set up is at least okay. It's not easy to just stream into the void though but as long as it's fun, I'm gonna continue.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I would hate so much to have to force myself to play whatever is "trending" just for views. Good luck OP. Keep on keeping on.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people hate on successful youtubers . But it takes a lot of effort to be successful and grow the number of your subscribers. One of brother's friends works as a video editor. I saw him work one time and this shit is no joke . I haven't realised how intensive video editing can be.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Let's Plays are too competitive a field and unless you're doing something super special (or your personality is super interesting to other people) you won't grow. Grinding out for years won't change this.

From my experience, the fastest way for a "normal" gaming channel to grow now is to heavily focus on Search for your first 10,000 subscribers. Find a game you're good at or interested in and make the best tutorials possible for all the basic stuff. If you're able to get tutorials out within the first week of a game/DLC's release, and it's a popular game, you will see results.

Once you've established that following and built an audience you can slowly introduce other forms of content, but if the views drop you'll soon realise that they came for the content, and not for you.

Ultimately, success on YouTube comes down to one thing: giving people what they want.

Figuring out what that is (and delivering on it) is the hard part.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Alright, I'm off the iPad and on a PC now, so buckle up 😁

Context: I work at EA, I have my own channel in my spare time, and it's literally* my job to be "good at YouTube".

I don't have all the answers because this is a field of study that's constantly evolving, but hopefully I can help with this post 🙂

I've been trying for a long time to make it relevant and entertaining, especially lately Since October. I've been watching professional video editors, etc. to make sure that the production quality of my content is as good as I can get it to be with my limited time, etc. I use Premiere Pro, have bought asset packs for transitions and stuff, etc. Feel that I'm pretty personable and not boring to watch.
Having production skills is good, well done on that. Ultimately though I feel your problem is a little further back the chain; it's not the "making the video" part, but the "what video do I make" part.

Have a watch of this:

I've also been trying to promote myself in any way I can (don't worry, I won't self promo here - I know better than that), but I just can't reach an audience. It's maddening. Absolutely head-bashingly defeating. I'm hammering SEO, I'm watching videos about increasing viewer retention, I'm trying to do all I can to make sure my Thumbnails stand out, I've subbed to TubeBuddy to keep an eye on trends in the industry, etc.

As above, these are good things on their own, but personally I feel it's a case of trying to optimise a video after you make it instead of before.

For this, take a look at this video. The key point to Dream's success is that he constructs a tense narrative throughout his videos that's more interesting than "Welcome to Episode 102 of....". Most Let's Players don't do that, they think it's as simple as "boot up game, hit record, then upload". That strategy may have worked in 2012 but it doesn't work in 2022.

It's mostly Let's Play content so I know what I'm up against, but I'm struggling to get 20 views a video at the moment despite pouring everything I can into this, trying to make sure that the views I do get are retained or found organically using YouTube's search features but with zero luck.

In my opinion, a Let's Play isn't a video one would/should typically search for, it's the kind of thing that gets recommended to people. Making a video that pops off in Search is very different to one that pops off in Browse or Suggested. When somebody is searching for a video, they are after a very specific thing and often don't know (or care) who you are. The potential viewer's question when seeing a title/thumb is "is this what I want"?

This is why (good) tutorials do well, because lots of people are searching for the answer to a question and that answer is very clear. Also, a good Search video will rank high in Google as well as YouTube, doubling your traffic.

Looping back to your content, if you want something to do well in Search, it needs to be built for search. In other words: tutorials, best strategies etc.

I just want to find some way that I can gain a small, core group of people who keep coming back. There is one guy who is commenting on every video I've ever released pretty much, and that feels amazing. He seems like a really cool dude too. I just want to find a couple more people like that somehow.
What worked for me when I was a smaller creator was that I would reply to every single comment. Doesn't matter if it was nice or mean, if they found the time out of their day to send you a comment, you can do the same in return.

It gets unsustainable once you break past 20,000 subscribers, but by then you should hopefully have enough momentum for videos to roll off on their own.

As I mentioned in my previous post however, the goal is to create content people want to watch, although figuring what that content is in a niche is very difficult.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has a good grip on YouTube and can offer advice or even just encouragement tbh.
Here's something to think about: over 99.9% of YouTube channels are under 100 subscribers (or 1,000, I forget which). The fact that you've gotten where you are should still be considered an achievement even if it's not setting the world on fire.

Instead of competing with the top of YouTube, compete with yourself. With every video you make, try to find at least 1 thing that you can do better than the last one, be it title, thumbnail, retention, audio quality etc. It'll snowball over time.

Also, watch this:

Look into the Youtube Algorithim. Chances are you're not doing anything wrong, but rather, you aren't doing things in a way that makes Youtube's backend want to push you into feeds. I belive it also tends to favor shorter videos. The shorter the video, the more likely you are to have eyeballs on it all the through, the more Youtube makes on ads, the more it wants to promote you. Engagement is pretty important, at least from what I remember.

I would argue against "chasing the Algorithm", and instead, chase the audience.

Dig deep into what kinds of videos they like to watch, what emotions they expect to get from a video, and see how you can deliver on those in a fun and interesting (and preferably unique) way. Don't copy Dream's format directly, or MrBeast, or whoever. Learn from them but put your own spin on things.

The length of a video isn't critical; if a video is engaging enough, it can be several hours long. Let's Plays typically aren't that engaging.

If somebody is trying out short-form content however, I would recommend looking into YouTube Shorts. Look up your chosen game on TikTok, find the videos of that game that are popular, and make your own spin on them in a YouTube video.

The honest advice I can give you is that this is largely stream content. Your leading competition is NOT youtubers - it's streamers, and slightly streamers cutting their equivilant content into longform videos or 10-20m recaps of a stream (see: Atrioc speedrunning super mario 64). Are you playing niche games or new trendy games? What do you offer that I can't get by mindlessly watching XQC play through it as the game of the week. And yes - this IS your competition. Because end of the day, me playing inscryption streamed to a half dozen friends has nothing on a big streamer playing it and going it's not a stream game and moving on.

The other advice I can give you is honestly ask yourself if you'd watch your content if you weren't the one creating it. The answer of "well no, because I'd just play those games myself" isn't good enough anymore - if your answer isn't a yes, you probably fail the test that everyone else is failing. Your content NEEDS to be relevant to the average person wanting to watch it, or else you're just SOL for entertaining anyone.

tl;dr watch ludwig on streaming - I really would argue your contents not youtube content in 2022. Clickbaity as shit, but I watched him at 20 viewers and it was obvious he was going to blow up from year 1.

This is good advice, if you're a Let's Player you need to be better/different to the top channels, and do it in a way that excites people. Unfortunately, not everybody is exciting, but that's okay. There's other ways to make engaging content that doesn't require a "streamer personality".

Tbh anything I can find that looks like it has a bit of interest around it, primarily short games that are rising up on Itch.io are the main bulk, but I'll try a AAA game from time to time only to find that the viewership for them is ALWAYS rock bottom 😅
I think a lack of focus is a legitimate problem here.

• Let's say somebody watches a Minecraft video from a creator. They enjoy it and sub for more Minecraft content.
  • Next week the creator's playing GRID Legends, the week after they're playing Elden Ring, the week after that they're playing Halo Infinite.
  • That Minecraft subscriber may like the creator's personality, but ultimately they came there to watch Minecraft, so when they're presented with the other videos on their feed they won't click on them.
  • YouTube assumes the audience won't like those videos, and pushes them out less.

Variety only works for a handful of people, and the way most will grow on YouTube is to focus on 1 or 2 things. Find the type of game/video you're super passionate about and become the expert on it, whether that be as a top-tier player, a loremaster, a news reporter, a comedic creator etc. If you have that one thing you become known for, and it's something that informs/excites people, you'll have a better chance of success.

Obviously I haven't seen your stuff, but fundamentals of being articulate and having a strong, clear voice also go a long way. Probably needs a decent measure of genuine humor too. All these things can be learned and it's worth considering your strengths and weaknesses.
Agreed.

I found the best way for me to build that camera presence was to start up a Twitch channel.

I had zero intention of turning it into a career (in fact, its never been monetised), but I showed up every week, played my chosen game, tried to turn it into a "show" (ie: something with a little bit more structure than simply hitting record while playing) and tried to improve on something with every stream.

I also turned the view counter off in my dashboard; I wasn't aiming for views, I was aiming to get good at presenting and interacting with chat. Eventually it did grow and I was able to build a small following within a few months, but more importantly I can now speak more confidently in my videos (and funnily enough, my Zoom calls at work).

I didn't really get any eyes on my YT channel until I randomly decided to record gaming tutorials. Threw up a Metroid sequence breaking tutorial last year when Dread came out, and went from 450 subs to 1k+ in like, 2 days. Though I guess the algorithm helped there as well.
You gave people something they wanted and were actively looking for, YouTube noticed this, and you were able to gain momentum. That's the way to go 🙂

Hm, don't YouTube actually prefers longer content instead of shorter? That's why people tend to pad their videos with unnecessary stuff.
YouTube only "cares" about what people want to watch, and they measure that through multiple factors.

The reasons people pad out videos are:
  • They haven't developed the skill/desire to aggressively cut unnecessary content.
  • They're not working from a script or outline.
  • They're trying to get their video above 8 minutes so that they can place midroll ads.

OP, looked at the channel, here are a few points:

You seem to play a lot of small itch.io horror games. First of all the aesthetic/vibe that you're going for doesn't really go super well with the style of games. Also I think the commentary isn't giving me a sense of your personality. It seems like banter that fills the air time but I don't really get a chance to relate to you through the content. I'd say that you should try to find games where you can express yourself a bit better and maybe do some videos that aren't let's plays so that you can establish what you are about. I don't feel that the early bits of your videos have a "hook" so I'm not super enticed to continue watching or learning more about you. i think you should try to draw viewers in a bit more. Clickbait gets people clicking on the video but you also gotta retain them as watchers. You can also look at other youtubers playing the same games you are and see how their thumbnails and the content of the videos are different to get some ideas.

Secondarily, the games are pretty small and niche games, though you've also tried Ghostwire. While the games are fine, I don't think they're exactly SEO fodder. You might want to focus a bit on "trending" games. Also if I were looking to learn more about the games themselves, your videos don't really give me that vibe either. I'd say either go for mini reviews or go full on on your personality.

Finally, your thumbnails/titles aren't really enticing me. I can see that you're trying to follow "the formula", but I don't think it works well. The reaction faces don't do it for me because I don't know your personality yet, and since you're playing blurry lofi horror games they don't make for good salient images in the thumbnails.

Overall, I can see that you're trying and doing a lot of the right things categorically, but I think you don't have the right mix of them yet. The bad news is that the current format just isn't right - the lack of viewership isn't because of the algorithm or whatever but the content isn't super enticing. But it could get there with some tweaks, that's the good news.

I do wish you the best, as I can tell that you do put a lot into the content.
This is all great advice 👍

I'm around 65k after 5-ish years. Not THAT much but I can give a few general pointers.

The first: CONSISTENCY. Consistency is the hardest thing to achieve but it works. YouTube "punishes" you if you stop uploading and the people that subscribed are left wondering what happened. Make a schedule and stick to it. One video a week, one every couple of weeks. Make it manageable to you and stick to it.

YouTube does like longer videos BUT they have to be longer videos that have watcher retention. Don't make 20 min videos just for the sake of it, they have to keep you watching. "Documentaries" work for this, and on that note:
Clickbaity content works, especially if you have a negative term in the title (ie "Is this THE WORST Mario game?")... It doesn't have to be negative content but make it appear like it is so they click it :P That being said, nostalgia works better. I can't tell you how many documentaries about Super Mario World I've seen pop up and they have more than 100k views. People like watching content about stuff they already know. I guess it's because not everyone has access to the latest game or console.

Let's Plays, unless you're already a popular YouTuber/streamer, from my experience, are falling behind. I'd stay away from Let's Plays and focus on content about you, like someone else already recommended. What do you like, why do you like it. That can take the form of reviews, analysis or documentaries. Add some personal experiences. People like to connect. I think one of the most important lessons I've learned is people are there to see YOU and what YOU have to say, not necessarily to see what's up with the latest game.

Now, thinking about what kind of audience you want is also important. Those giant channels? Most of their viewers are kids and with that comes the almost obligation of resorting to memes, humor, talking shit about someone, etc. Negative content gets the views but also creates a terrible community. Find the balance in all of those things.

One last thing, I don't agree you have to make it a full time job for it to work (unless you want hundreds of thousands of subscribers), mine is a side job and it's been doing "fine". Could be better, yes, but some of my subscriber plateaus are because I refuse to sell out and make content I don't want to or just because I take a break for mental health.

EDIT: last last thing. Neurodiversity and Gaming is a great topic that could 100% work in your favor but make the title and thumbnail something relatable, stay away from technical, educational or preachy titles. I know how it sounds but people tend to ignore videos if they think it's trying to teach them something. They prefer entertainment like someone else said.

I also get the "I don't know how you don't have more subs" and it's frustrating but I've come to make peace with it. The content YouTube wants to promote isn't the content I want to make. I try to adjust what I do and balance the things that "work" with things I like to do, but I know I'll never be one of those giant channels. From what you said, you're in the same boat, so hopefully these things help you out a bit.
This is all good, especially the point about consistency.

Pick a day of the week that a video goes out on, and stick to it. Try to never miss an upload. Make a few videos in advance if you have to.

Also unless you're a full-time creator don't go above 1 video a week (preferably a weekday), it'll destroy your work/life balance and burn you out.

Tom Scott always posts a new video on Monday, Wendover Productions every (second) Wednesday etc. Knowing this and generally liking their videos, they have built a habit in their audience to the point where people will go "it's Monday, Tom probably has a video up, let's see if he's uploaded yet".

At this point it isn't even "the almighty algorithm" that's pushing their channels, it's human nature. The fact that they then make amazing and interesting videos on top of that is a big plus.

So I'm no expert, don't even have my own channel, but as a viewer I think a few things to consider: What do you offer that bigger channels don't already? People have limited time, even if you do what you do well, if a bunch of other people are doing the same thing but they're already more visible people aren't going to be inclined to look for you that much.

Agreed. As somebody that's made racing game content in the past, I know I would fail if I tried to ape Super GT or Jimmy Broadbent. Why would people watch me instead of those guys who they know very well? When I started offering something new (tutorials) the growth came.

Every time I read one of these threads, I imagine someone saying "I've been playing basketball in my front driveway for 5 years, most days, and I still haven't made it onto a competitive team" or "I've been singing music in my bedroom and busking on streets for 5 years, and still haven't signed an album with a label".

Getting practice might be necessary to have a break, but it isn't sufficient. I think the first adjustment to make is to only do this if you get something out of doing it with the success you have now. If you're just grinding away for some promise of future success, you're wasting your time. Not because you're not talented... maybe you are, maybe you're not, but because it's a lottery ticket.

There are lots of skills and careers for which time investment puts you on a path to success, but there are also a lot of skills and careers for which time investment does nothing of the sort. There's also a pretty huge "X factor": charm, charisma, natural ease... and it takes a lot of humility to be able to soul search enough to know if you have it or not. It hurts to hear people say "you don't have it", but most of us don't. Thus, I definitely recommend beginning to make the mental transition towards "This is a hobby that I enjoy doing, and my time investment will be based on the joy I get out of it."
This is it. If something's not being working for a while (I'd say 1-2 months) and you don't change it, the results won't change either.

When you get to a certain point, it makes sense to focus on results, but until then, focus on the things you can control.

• "Am I enjoying this?"
  • "Am I learning something new?"
  • "Would I be proud of this video even if it got 0 views?"
  • "Am I adding a new/improved aspect to the production of this?2
Those are all things in your control, whereas viewcounts don't rely on what you do (to a degree) but on how your audience reacts to it.

Shifting your goals towards things that you have control over vs the rest of the world will improve your mental health and mindset. If the views come after that, then great, but they shouldn't be the primary target until this is your career.

The second thing would be to be very cautious about following "what worked for me" advice. When you watch or read a "what worked for me" story, what you think you're getting is "if I do this, I will be successful", and what you're actually getting is "I am successful, and I once did this". Many successful people got lucky and over-interpret small actions they took as being the cause of their success when it was luck. Some successful people have genuinely good habits, but don't know which ones actually helped make them successful. So this advice is often neither necessary nor sufficient, and sometimes not even helpful.
Agreed. While some advice/learnings from others may be useful, doing what MrBeast does now wouldn't work for a new creator, simply because they don't have 50 million subscribers.

tbh, I wouldn't make lets-play videos. Speaking personally, there's only two reasons I'd ever click on a lets-play video. Either its made by someone I already know and I'm watching for them rather than the game. Or its for a game I want to see gameplay of because I'm considering buying it, and even then there's at least a 50% chance I'll mute the audio to not hear the person talking.

You have to ask yourself, why would a random person click on your video over someone elses. What does it offer that more popular channels don't. If I see a video pop up in recommended that's a lets play of a random game by some random person I've never heard of, there's a zero percent chance I'm clicking on it.
This sums it up nicely.

I feel you OP - I've been trying to stream on Twitch for about a year now and organically, follows come in at a snails pace and I need to get lucky to get someone to chat.
Twitch doesn't have a functioning recommendation system. To grow on Twitch you need to pull people in from other platforms.

Dumping your stream link in forums/reddit isn't the way either (and banned in most communities), but if you have an amazing/funny clip that can attract people, that clip's success can make people go "I want to watch more of this" and then you start to grow.

Also, be consistent with a streaming schedule on Twitch. Habit-building is key there.

* figuratively

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
made 1 video once that got 55k views and comments where people calling me not so nice names because i wasnt a pro at the game

said fuck this shit and never made one again

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna +1 on the consistency comment. My channel grows incredibly quickly when I'm uploading on a consistent basis. That seems to be the biggest factor in the algorithm pushing content.

Also, remember that you need to create content that people want to interact with on some level. The algorithm really likes that, too.

YouTube isn't ever easy but it's always super rewarding :)

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I have to say that as someone who is busy with these things, the discoverability on Twitch and Youtube is impossible. You need to have a famous friend or you need to do something very, very extraordinary things for reach people.

Chasing a new platform is needed and you must be one of the first to enter this platform, this is the only chance to rise from the ground.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My channel has 329 subs. I do Let's Play and my gacha pulls. I don't know how I'm gaining subs as I haven't posted videos regularly lol. It's more of a hobby and I have my channel for 15 years. I just post videos that interests me.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Equally it's always worth thinking "Do I want to make stuff I like that gets 50 views or stuff I resent that gets 500"

Always go the former.

(1,175 subs, 3 years but a lot of that is from 3 specific events that were a pretty good boost. Namely a magazine feature, a shout out from someone popular and the fall out from a collaboration that also happened at an appropriate time for the sequel to another popular and timely video)

Not sure how specific I can get without bordering on promotion.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I've gotten the impression let's play-style videos have become less popular on Youtube, or rather, maybe the competition is so fierce it's hard to break through with that kind of video.

Becoming successful on Youtube takes a lot of effort. Some things I've noticed and tips I've had people tell me:
  • Quality over quantity. If you want your channel to grow, it's more efficient to make fewer videos that get more views. Making videos that get fewer views than average hurts your channel.
  • Every video should have a striking thumbnail.
  • As much as I hate to say it, clickbait is very effective. You don't want to describe a video with your title and thumbnail, you want to grab someone's attention.
  • Consistency is important. Keep making the content that gets views, and keep making it at a consistent pace.
  • When covering games, it's always better to cover recent games, they typically get more views.
  • Learn how the magical Youtube algorithm works and try to exploit it as much as you can (if I recall, some people have figured out what's the "ideal" length for a video in regards to the algorithm, and I think it was 15 minutes or something).
  • Finding a niche that hasn't been covered yet (or has poor coverage) can be a way to become popular. And if you find something specific that keeps getting you views, start focusing your channel on that.
Now then, with all that said, when it comes to maintaining your sanity I suggest ignoring every tip I just said.

I managed to hit a pretty good pace about 10 years ago. I focused on making videos of Resident Evil mods (primarily silly mods I had made myself), and my videos would typically get at least 10k views (with some videos getting 200k+ views) and I reached 20k subscribers around that time. But I burned out like crazy and I got sick tired of making videos like that. I tried to branch out, but my view count started dropping more and more. At this point, I've burned out on almost every aspect of video editing, so now I do the bare minimum of editing and I only make videos when I'm motivated to do so. Naturally, this has really hurt my view counts (I used to get 10k views on my videos ten years ago, and now I'm lucky if I get 500 views), but at least I'm far less stressed out about my content.

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's most likely the content of what you're playing. I'd focus more on new trendy stuff that's more likely to attract attention. This is especially important at this early stage when you don't have much of a following.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
You either have to do it as a full time job or do it just for fun. If your intent is to build a big channel with a large number of subs, you really have to make it your job.

I (and some friends) recently resurrected a site I ran for 5 years that lay fallow for a dozen and had to come to this realization. When I was younger it seemed plausible it would get noticed and become bigger. Now that I am old I have taken joy in creating for its own sake. If you aren't going to make it your job, you need to believe that there is value in making a thing regardless of how many people see it. If you don't feel that way you will probably be unhappy about the project.

I do get putting effort into something you think turned out really well and no one giving a shit. Even with my more positive art for arts sake mentality, this can still sting.

As for advice, I write what I want about whatever games I want and so do the others on my site. And it doesn't and will never work. No audience cares because they would have to be you to care about content that is so scattershot. So consider creating a very specific niche and sticking to it if you want more people paying attention.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
On this, not all clickbait is bad:

It's definitely possible to hit a good compromise: attention-grabbing titles that also explain what the video is about. But I keep stumbling upon crazy popular channels where the video titles might as well be complete gibberish.

For instance, I think Linus Tech Tips make really good content, but a lot of their videos have titles and thumbnails like this:
linus.png

To me, that seems the most deceitful clickbait, as it is very attention-grabbing but you have little idea what the video is actually about. I had to click it and watch one minute before I learned that it's about a new card for accelerating SSD speeds on your PC. And the channel has a ton of videos like this, which makes it hard to browse the channel as a casual watcher of the channel as you don't know what most of the videos are actually about.

But as much as I hate this kind of clickbait, it certainly seems effective.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
My channel is just where I dump my videos. Game stuff, drone stuff, bike stuff. I should make a new channel with a specific topic. But I did make $100 off of monetization before they changed the rules requiring 1000 subs. The old forum spam viewed my videos to get me up over the $100 limit (otherwise I wouldn't have been paid at all).

My most popular videos are the random "how to do something" videos. Like adjust the wipers on a Ford Focus. Or connecting your bike's DI2 shifter to your Garmin bike computer (60k views).

Maybe try a video type where you have a quick tip on how to get a specific game collectible that is hard to get to. How to can apply to games too, and people are always searching YouTube for how to do stuff.

Obama's motorcade passed by my house once and I made a timelapse of it and I promoted it on Jalopnik (who ran a story on it). I pitched it by saying how ridiculously long it was.

jalopnik.com

This Video Shows How Ridiculously Long The President’s Motorcade Is

Try and count all the vehicles in the President's motorcade! You can't. There are too many. It's impossible.

You never know what will hit. But if what you've been doing hasn't hit, maybe try a different angle. Maybe an angle that you could promote through a popular web site. External promotion works if you can finagle it and it could lead to the algorithm noticing you.

My best video (IMO) is one that only has 700 views. But I'll post it wherever I can because I think it's hilarious. I thought for sure this would hit. Nope. It's a super cut of all the times I crashed my horse in RDR2.

My most "professional" video has limited appeal. It took me a long time to cut this together just right. I post it on Ocean City groups from time to time to promote it.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried lots of different stuff over the last 9 years. We did a few Let's Plays that did nothing. Also tried more heavily edited game videos that was just the funniest best stuff that got no traction.

I tried to focus just on indie games at one point because I noticed "big" sites didn't really bother with the vast majority of them. I learned that they don't bother with them because no one clicks them.

I even did a full year of playing a different game every day (366 games because it was a leap year) and making a video and a written blog where I told stories about being a games journalist and working with publishers / PR and stuff. Most videos also had some sort of gimmick or theme, too. Very fun project that I mostly loved the results. Utter failure views-wise, though.

I tried doing long form video essay type content, but my longest one out of 8 I did was only 13-minutes long. I don't know how to stretch a topic out over hours and hours like some people do and thought maybe a faster version of that type of content might catch on. It didn't. They were a lot of work and I"m proud of them, but no one cares.

The most successful videos I ever made were, as suggested above, doing game tips / tutorial stuff. The problem with this, however, is that it is really hard to know what people want / need and what will actually catch on. You either have to be very thorough and cover everything or get lucky and hit on something specific the moment "everyone" needs it.

Lately I've said fuck it and just steered away from games and gone into anime instead. Doing anime reviews, top lists, tier lists, and some games with a focus on fanservice. These have done a bit better and I feel like I'm making progress at least.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I've tried lots of different stuff over the last 9 years. We did a few Let's Plays that did nothing. Also tried more heavily edited game videos that was just the funniest best stuff that got no traction.

I tried to focus just on indie games at one point because I noticed "big" sites didn't really bother with the vast majority of them. I learned that they don't bother with them because no one clicks them.

I even did a full year of playing a different game every day (366 games because it was a leap year) and making a video and a written blog where I told stories about being a games journalist and working with publishers / PR and stuff. Most videos also had some sort of gimmick or theme, too. Very fun project that I mostly loved the results. Utter failure views-wise, though.

I tried doing long form video essay type content, but my longest one out of 8 I did was only 13-minutes long. I don't know how to stretch a topic out over hours and hours like some people do and thought maybe a faster version of that type of content might catch on. It didn't. They were a lot of work and I"m proud of them, but no one cares.

The most successful videos I ever made were, as suggested above, doing game tips / tutorial stuff. The problem with this, however, is that it is really hard to know what people want / need and what will actually catch on. You either have to be very thorough and cover everything or get lucky and hit on something specific the moment "everyone" needs it.

Lately I've said fuck it and just steered away from games and gone into anime instead. Doing anime reviews, top lists, tier lists, and some games with a focus on fanservice. These have done a bit better and I feel like I'm making progress at least.

366 videos! 😲 That's freaking ambitious. My hat is off to you.

It's also seriously depressing that it didn't work. :(

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Have you tried posting your videos elsewhere like TikTok, Facebook, and reddit? This can help with discoverablity

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I started a gaming YouTube channel in November and I'm about to hit 13.5k subscribers, I can tell you what 100% does NOT work.

There's a subreddit called NewTubers and it's literally the blind leading the blind. I've posted questions on there 3-4 times and been ignored everytime, I figured something out that helped my channel grow and posted it and got a slap on the wrist for self promotion.

Basically go on there, see what they are doing and do the opposite.

The thing i found works best and is the least amount of effort is to cut out 30seconds to 1 min of footage from your video, make it portrait, post it on YouTube shorts, Instagram reels and tiktok (all 3 of those will push it hard) and have a link to your channel in your bio. Make the video end just before something happens to create suspense.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
YouTube has gone to shit in the past decade that you can get thousands of views. The highest views I've gotten reached 100k and all I did was just post it on GameTrailer forums

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I once did something funny in a Batman game. Uploaded it around 7 years ago. One day a couple years ago it suddenly got an insane amount of views and comments. I didn't do anything to make that happen, it was so random. That one clip has gotten almost 500k views now. 97k in the last month alone.

I'm now wondering if I should start doing something with my channel other than uploading random clips for my own amusement. I don't think I have the personality for a Let's Play though, I might just upload no commentary walkthroughs or some shit to begin with.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP in some aspects.
I haven't been doing it as long as you have, but I recently moved from Twitch to YouTube for live streams and with the intent to make middle and short form content.

I just hit 59 subs last week, and while things are upticking in terms of impressions and what not, it does feel like a sheer wall to climb.

I've honestly been trying to make sure my titles and such hit a level that helps me in the search engine. SEO is a massive pain but it can help at times.

I do wish you the best of luck though and hope you get the sub and view wave soon!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Your Let's Play content has no chance to emerge against those making videos with click-baiting shits to satisfy YT algorithm. "Top 10, top 3, worst, best, how to, tips, before you buy, don't do this .....etc" all these titles induce people to click, combined with some exaggerating thumbnail and you'll get YT attention. Oh don't for get to say "Let me know in the comment down below..."

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Try playing content that most Let's Players won't play, and also experiment with thumbnails.

So I have a channel for 5 years, I actually rebooted it a couple times, in latest iteration it's about deep analytical game design reviews from a perspective of a professional Game Designer. I thought that this is enough of a 'hook', but it's not.

I have had a problem for a long time of 'when people start watching my content they like it, but how to make them start watching my content'?

I worked for 1.5 months on a 1.5h Demon's Souls review which is probably some of by best work. Barely got any views and subscribers.

I then made a bunch of Harry Potter videos. Got tons of loyal viewers and boost to that Demon's Souls video from them. Because in-depth review analysis of old licensed titles is something that nobody really does, so there's little competition, and it's a good entry space into the rest of the channel. I'm still doing Harry Potter videos because that's what grows the channel even though some people are like, 'why are you still making HP videos'. Because it works :D I even had this comment at one point:

"I caved. I couldn't give a rat's ass about Harry Potter but I needed to see why these videos do so well. Turns out you are a masterful reviewer. Great job my friend, keep up the great work."

So, one thing is an entry point.

But still, another part is that I've experimented with thumbnails.

Here are all the different thumbnail styles that I had, including very clickbaity ones, neither of which really did anything great longterm.

jRIp1j5.jpg

MWFlER9.jpg

VIqTs36.jpg

4e5Z1wf.jpg

rX4IOtI.jpg

uPoxh8N.jpg

Like, things didn't get worse, but they didn't get better either. For some of them I asked for feedback on reddit and stuff and people kept telling me these are great thumbnails.

Then, for the release of my Ghost of Tsushima video, I did this thumbnail.

9DfR4P0.jpg

Still nothing.

And I added one thing there.

mPz2Z98.jpg

Added the score.

This was the best decision I have ever made.

Now, everybody would tell you that it's bad to place score on a thumbnail. That it spoils things and people will click less.

But I'm a Game Designer, and I'm trying to find a reasoning behind the data, and I was thinking, so on average 30-35% of people reach the score part of my (pretty long) videos. This means that 65-70% never see the score. So what would happen if I start placing scores?

Well....

This is what has happened on my old videos after I changed the thumbnails.

This is what started happening instantly to clickthrough ratios.

I1bnxvy.png

Which has led to stuff like this.

RwbI6G0.png

IaJmNRJ.png

aylCZ1F.png

This has led to YT recommending a LOT my newer videos, like these are the impression stats of A Link to the Past video shortly after release.

mKoAJuD.png

So.... long story short.

Try to enter blue waters, and keep experimenting with thumbnails.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
A lot of the advice in this topic is really good. Something else I'd like to add though, if you've been doing it for 10 years and don't have much success in high view counts, I imagine it's not a career ambition for you. In that case....does the sub number matter that much? If you have a consistent audience who enjoys what you do, even if that number is low, I'd rather have that than having to modify my content for the algorithm, as long as I'm happy with my output and have control over it.