• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Amazing film. I love how it plays with expectations so many times and stays consistent with references and nods. One of the few films out there that has running gags that not only work, but stay relevant throughout the film.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Still remember starting Game of Thrones and my first reaction to seeing the Hound was.. "Yarp."

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Hot Fuzz is probably my favorite comedy and definitely my favorite of the trilogy (though "Shaun" is amazing as well).

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
His entire trilogy does it and does it brilliantly.

The World's End isn't as widely appreciated as Shaun and Fuzz but I love it.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My wife caught me watching this one day and was confused and bored till the end and now she really likes it lol

"whats happening?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing? Why?"
"Cuz its a boring town where nothing happens."
"Why would you watch a movie where nothing happens?"
"For the greater good."

thankfully that was enough for her to stick around lol

Oct 25, 2017
Be careful calling Shaun of the Dead a comedy. I got unmatched on bumble for saying it was a horror comedy.
You wouldn't want to date someone who would do that anyway.

I think the genre switchup in this one is probably the best one as far as Edgar Wright movies go. Baby Driver's Slasher turn is so abrupt as to be incongruent. At World's End little all over the place. Shawn's is good but happens so smoothly most people kinda forget about the comedy aspects. Hot Fuzz has just enough "lol what" factor to be just right. I love it.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Brilliant film, have watched it far too many times, but never gets old.

It's definitely partly a horror film btw. The middle third is basically a gorey slasher, so I'm not really sure how it could be argued that it doesn't have horror elements.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ agree with this for the whole trilogy. I️ hope they do another one together at some point

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i love every second of this film.

The movie is the best of the trilogy, but it's more thriller than horror imo.

Korean movies mix "horror" with comedy better that it.
don't want to hijack the thread, but i'd love some suggestions. only seen 4 korean films overall, but i've adored every one. the wailing, train to busan, parasite, and burning.

Oct 27, 2017
GnZbjRG.gif

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

don't want to hijack the thread, but i'd love some suggestions. only seen 4 korean films overall, but i've adored every one. the wailing, train to busan, parasite, and burning.
I recommend from the directors i follow:

Bong Joon Ho: Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother (his best imo) and Parasite of course.
Hong-jin A: Every movie of his is great, The Chaser, Yellow Sea and The Wailing.
Jee-woon Kim: A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, I Saw The Devil (His best).
Seong-hun Kim: Mostly a TV director but the movie he made A Hard Day is pretty good.

There's alot that i'm missing, hope someone that has seen more Korean movies can chime in, but i think there's a couple threads about it so hope we don't derail this thread.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

If you want a cop movie that is comedic from Korea, I highly recommend the 2007 film Going by the Book. Its great and hilarious. Slow burn at the beginning but pays off well.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the movie, but I always thought it missed the mark a little on what it was trying to riff - the buddy cop movie. Unlike Shaun of the Dead which was a great riff on zombie movies. In Hot Fuzz the horror-like violence feels out of place imo, and was like they were trying not to deviate too much from the formula of SotD.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant film, have watched it far too many times, but never gets old.

It's definitely partly a horror film btw. The middle third is basically a gorey slasher, so I'm not really sure how it could be argued that it doesn't have horror elements.
Yep. It's also got a lot of elements of 70s occult horror mixed in. Saying Hot Fuzz has no elements of horror is ludicrous

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Basically just watch anything made by Park Chan-wook (Oldboy, Thirst, The Handmaiden, etc), Kim Jee-woon (A Bittersweet Life, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, etc) and Bong Joon-ho (Memories of Murder, Mother, etc) to start. They've all been on fire since the late 90s.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend from the directors i follow:

Bong Joon Ho: Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother (his best imo) and Parasite of course.
Hong-jin A: Every movie of his is great, The Chaser, Yellow Sea and The Wailing.
Jee-woon Kim: A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, I Saw The Devil (His best).
Seong-hun Kim: Mostly a TV director but the movie he made A Hard Day is pretty good.

There's alot that i'm missing, hope someone that has seen more Korean movies can chime in, but i think there's a couple threads about it so hope we don't derail this thread.
If you want a cop movie that is comedic from Korea, I highly recommend the 2007 film Going by the Book. Its great and hilarious. Slow burn at the beginning but pays off well.
Basically just watch anything made by Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon and Bong Joon-ho to start. They've all been on fire since the late 90s.
fshooo thanks

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The usual public service announcement: If you like the Cornetto trilogy, and you haven't seen it before, track down Spaced to get an idea of where it all began.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Probably my favorite of that trilogy, just a hair over SotD though, not much. World's End was not quite as good as those, but only because they set the bar so high.

A zombie comedy, copy/horror comedy, and scifi comedy that are good as either one of their genres.

Frost was pretty good in Into the Badlands

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it in theaters when it came out and was blown away. It is one my favorite movies every made and my #1 comedy.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

This is one of the best use of special effects I've ever seen -- the frame was blank when they shot the movie, and then filled it in with the still in post-production.

That said, I'd hesitate to call this a general "horror" movie, but it's 100% trading in slasher movie tropes --
the sexually active are the first to die, the nosy one gets it, and there's one you empathize with to mix things up

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish I liked At World's End as much as the others in the trilogy (mostly just felt like it had an unsatisfying ending), but Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are near-perfect modern classics to me.

image.gif

(Never trust Ivan Ooze)
tumblr_inline_p7xqoinrFB1r2z6s8_500.gifv