• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I really was hoping they'd release a Final Fantasy collection on the 3DS with 1-6.

Maybe they finally can on the Switch? It already has 7/9/10/12. Getting a 1-6 cart would be a dream come true.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
0bFYKoV.jpg
Oh so they actually use 3D models to represent certain locations? Seems a bit mismatched, at least the GBA version just made it a flat texture that stood up off the flat "ground" to give some depth. Even Final Fantasy Dimensions did it and looked infinitely better because of it.

ss-016.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so they actually use 3D models to represent certain locations? Seems a bit mismatched, at least the GBA version just made it a flat texture that stood up off the flat "ground" to give some depth. Even Final Fantasy Dimensions did it and looked infinitely better because of it.

ss-016.jpg

Yeah, the correct solution is to not make it rotating Mode 7, and just use it for tilt. It sort of worked in Secret of Mana, but is really bad in all versions of FF6. They should have kept the orientation constant as they do in Final Fantasy Dimension, or 4, or 5.

I'm not saying that the change to the mobile version is good, I'm saying that the original way was also hideous, and that the new version is less bad. OG Kefka's Tower looks like an incomprehensible shit stain smeared across the map. The only explanation for them doing something that bad in 1994 is that they decided relatively late in development to do the Secret of Mana rotating flying mode rather than the flat view of FF4's airship, which the icons look like they were designed for.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Wait FFVI GBA did that? I thought the graphics in that version were exactly like in the original
No, you're right. It's still all one flat texture. My bad.

I was thinking about FFIV, V and basically every other FF GBA/PSP port that did it instead. Guess I just assumed (wrong) that VI was the same.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
GBA with the music and brightness patch is the ONLY way to play FFVI in my opinion.
Its has the good translation and the original non fucked graphics.

All the other versions are compromised in some way.

Only way in English I mean.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
The New 3DS had FF5 and FF6 on the Virtual Console in Japan, and I have no idea why they didn't bring FF6 to the 3DS VC to the west.

I am having fun playing it on the SNES classic though.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The music is more a part of the game's soul than the visuals imo, so I prefer the mobile version to the GBA version by FAR. I know I'm in the minority on that. The added perks of having very high resolution, touch screen capabilities for menus, and all the extras from the PS1 and GBA versions (including the FMV cutscenes I think?) and new features like auto battle make it Kbviously nearly definitive to me. The music is intact and perfect The convenience of carrying it everywhere since I always have my phone seals the deal.

Fuck the GBA Version.

And no, this isn't a joke post.

Obviously if we could get the SNES visuals back in, it'd be solid gold.
I agree with you and have been crucified for it. The GBA audio was dog shit. I was actually willing to suffer load times in my teens to not have to hear the greatest fantasy ost be butchered

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's also the only platform released since the SNES that has the SNES version of Yoshi's Island, right? That version of the game was never released for the VC for whatever reason, and any other release is the GBA version instead.
I've only ever played the GBA version, is the SNES version better?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
FF5 and 6 absolutely need some sort of re-release or definitive version. FF5's actually got it worse than 6 since there isn't an "official" English version of the original SNES release, so if you want to buy a version you're stuck with the PS1, GBA, or Mobile versions, all of which have issues. At least with FF6 you can go with the original.

And yet FF4 had an amazing remake on the PSP that kept a 2D art style that looked fine. But Square never re-released that version (opting for the other remake) and didn't use it as a model for FF5 and 6. I'd love to see them get that treatment.

(To be perfectly honest I think the mobile versions of FF5 and 6 are salvageable with some graphic reworks and other fixes, but so far they don't seem interested. They did address Chrono Trigger, at least)

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
-Widely accessible

-Not available on any modern consoles

Choose one

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, but just in case you're a little slow I'll spell it out.

Phones are widely accessible, much more so than consoles. Final Fantasy VI is available on phones, thus it is widely accessible.

Final Fantasy VI is not available on modern consoles. Still with me?

Put all that together, and you will see that the statement "Final Fantasy VI is widely accessible yet not available on modern consoles" is 100 percent true and not at all difficult to comprehend.

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the extra content of FFVI on GBA. You are just so OP at the end of that game that the soul shrine adds a lot because it comes close to being something close to a challenge. Every time I play the SNES version now I have a pile of spells and weapons I don't allow myself to use to avoid getting OP again.

What I really want is to take my end party of FF6 and have them have a go at some of the other famous FF superbosses. Is spamming Quick+Ultima enough to beat FF5's Omega before he beats you? Can the god version of Setzer Gabbiani I always build by the end of the game (so powerful I can beat the end boss with just him) beat FF7's Omega weapon? Can "Wind God Gau" beat FF9's Ozma? I don't know but I would love to find out.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The state of affairs of finding out which releases of any/all pre-FF7 FF games are the ones to play has a lot to do with why I've been too daunted to pick any of them up at this point in time.
the best thing to do is take a lot of opinions (yes, even mine) with a grain of salt, as there's a lot of hyperbole about how perfect it has to be and if there is such a thing as an acceptable compromise.

If you went with the PS1 versions of 1, 2, 4-6, you'd be fine. They're perfectly fine. 4 is probably the closest to the original release with a good English translation that is easily and legally obtainable, to boot. FFV is a liiiiittle bit crash happy but not terrible, just save frequently. 1 and 2 came on the FF Origins disc and are perfectly acceptable ways to play the games.

If you want to play 3 you'd more or less have to get the DS/iOS/Android/PSP version or the Steam port, but I cannot stand FF3 anyway so I cannot speak to how acceptable they are. Sadly the 3D remake is the only way to purchase it in English legally.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The mobile and PC versions are pretty much just a reskinned version of the GBA game. It runs at the same 3:2 aspect ratio as the GBA screen (which means you get less visible screen area compared to the SNES version), and has the same translation that ruins some iconic lines (like "son of a submariner" or "he'd slit his mama's throat for a nickel"). Music is just straight ripped from the SNES. I thought it would have been redone like the music in the PSP remakes, but nope. The interface is god-awful when using a controller, and obstructs 2/3 of the screen during battle. I didn't find the added content to be any fun or worthwhile. Horrid port. I would not recommend it at all. I paid $8 for it and still feel ripped off.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
First off, that's dope

secondly, still not an official port.

The only legal way to do that would buy external hardware to dump a GBA ROM then buy a flashcart to get the ROM to boot.

That is at best a technicality.
I'm just giving you a way to play original FF6 on modern hardware without emulation (which every other version relies on)

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The PS1 version available for PS3 isn't bad, it just has load times the original didn't.

It sucks but they're not game-ruining or anything. If load times were the only factor to decide whether a FF game sucks then FF9 would be the worst by far.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Your right.

It's the best.
Is this a joke that it's FFIII on SNES and FFVI only on SFC?

Because that's the only explanation.
Do not misunderstand me, Final Fantasy VI is a veritable Good Game. The SNES version (known as Final Fantasy III) suffers from a myriad of issues, from localisation errors and mistranslations to extensive programming errors that render stats useless, moves unlearnable, effects unusable. While some of the issues are not unique to that version, as they are included in the SFC version, we're only talking about release outside of Japan.

The GBA version is far superior in most respects except in audio quality (which I believe there's fan-made patches for if you're running it on emulators). It is a shame that there's no "definitive" version of the game available for purchase.

As it stands the smart phone version has... issues, but the least of them are the graphical changes, which are mostly okay. The only real aesthetic issues are the blurs and filters applied to backgrounds and the 3D models not really fitting with the overworld. The new sprites are fine and stick to the artstyle the sprites were based of off (and I believe are actually made by Kazuko Shibuya, the same artist that originally drew the chibi illustrations and sprites). What's not really acceptable are the myriad of newly introduced typos that all the mobile versions added, which are ridiculous since they're reusing the scripts, implying they manually retyped in every piece of dialogue in the game. The game itself is fine, though, given its running the GBA ROM with a wrapper around it.

But I digress.

My point is, the SNES version isn't a "good" version either, so playing the SNES Classic doesn't get you that.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the sprites in FFVI on Steam and Mobile. They're designed by the original Sprite artist and they're quite cute!

What I do mind is everything else about that port.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do not misunderstand me, Final Fantasy VI is a veritable Good Game. The SNES version (known as Final Fantasy III) suffers from a myriad of issues, from localisation errors and mistranslations to extensive programming errors that render stats useless, moves unlearnable, effects unusable. While some of the issues are not unique to that version, as they are included in the SFC version, we're only talking about release outside of Japan.

The GBA version is far superior in most respects except in audio quality (which I believe there's fan-made patches for if you're running it on emulators). It is a shame that there's no "definitive" version of the game available for purchase.

As it stands the smart phone version has... issues, but the least of them are the graphical changes, which are mostly okay. The only real aesthetic issues are the blurs and filters applied to backgrounds and the 3D models not really fitting with the overworld. The new sprites are fine and stick to the artstyle the sprites were based of off (and I believe are actually made by Kazuko Shibuya, the same artist that originally drew the chibi illustrations and sprites). What's not really acceptable are the myriad of newly introduced typos that all the mobile versions added, which are ridiculous since they're reusing the scripts, implying they manually retyped in every piece of dialogue in the game. The game itself is fine, though, given its running the GBA ROM with a wrapper around it.

But I digress.

My point is, the SNES version isn't a "good" version either, so playing the SNES Classic doesn't get you that.

I will take the Woolsey translation over the shoddy-ass GBA translation any day of the week, at least. FFVI's original Japanese script was not that good, and Woolsey added a ton of character in his localization.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
PC version with A World Reborn Mod seems to be the best way to play it now. Although, I think it is a bit complicated, there is a Nostalgia pack and Core Pack, not sure which is the ideal one to install. There is also a mixed pack that takes the Nostalgia pack with some new enhancements. Probably Nostalgia or Mixed is the way to go.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I will take the Woolsey translation over the shoddy-ass GBA translation any day of the week, at least. FFVI's original Japanese script was not that good, and Woolsey added a ton of character in his localization.
The GBA script is unquestionably the best one, the heck are you on about? The SNES version has Locke's backstory and questline are mistranslated, undue censorship, typos, honest to goodness misinterpretations of events, gameplay hints obfuscated or outright removed and a bunch of other issues I can't think of off the top of my head.

Oct 25, 2017
But not supervised by the original art director!

The original FFVI had a very distinct aesthetic, whereas the remake just looks like every other FF 2D remakes whether famous (FFV) or less famous (FFDimensions).

The original FF6 clashes constantly. The party sprites, battle backgrounds, enemy sprites, and world map all coexist at vastly different levels of detail.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take a rocket scientist, but just in case you're a little slow I'll spell it out.

Phones are widely accessible, much more so than consoles. Final Fantasy VI is available on phones, thus it is widely accessible.

Final Fantasy VI is not available on modern consoles. Still with me?

Put all that together, and you will see that the statement "Final Fantasy VI is widely accessible yet not available on modern consoles" is 100 percent true and not at all difficult to comprehend.
Lol go away with that passive aggressiveness of yours

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any crazy mods for the PC version? I'm watching Max do a playthrough of FF7 with the new threat mod and there's aome really cool shit there.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone doesn't know there are five complete English translations available for FF VI.

Two official: Woolsley original and FF VI GBA
Three unofficial: Rodimus Primal's edited Woolsey script, RPOne, and then Tomato's (Mother 3 fan translator).

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always thankful that I saved my original SNES copy. I will never delete my 99:99 game though.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The ideal FF1-FF6 collection would be one that contained multiple versions of each game. Original SNES versions of the supported games but also the PSP versions as well. Remove the mobile versions from all game stores and burn the code.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Oh you guys think the mobile version was ugly as shit? Try playing the playstation port of the original game on PAL consoles. It had load times, big black borders that squashed the image & slow-down. One of the worst PAL conversions ever along with FFX.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is such an oddly specific thread it's almost pointless lol

I played the mobile one and it's one of my favorite FF's 🤷🏻‍♂️

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is super weird to me, then again i mute all games which i'm sure others find weird.
Yes, that's very weird especially when it comes to Final Fantasy where so much effort goes into the score, and motifs are used throughout the entire game to give emotion to different scenes.

I can't think of an FF game without a song from it playing from it in my head. It's part of each games identity

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
At this point, Chrono Trigger's "definitive" is probably the DS version. The music is pretty much on point, the sprites are pretty much on point, and there's extra content.
Plus Portable!

It's a shame and there's no reason why there hasn't been a new Final Fantasy collection of the pre-PS1 games on consoles. Leaving money on the table when all we need are decent ROM dumps in a neat little package with modern conveniences like save states.