• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
playing metal gear solid 1 in 98 felt like playing a video game from the future

it was doing things i never even thought games would attempt, at least not in a 3d game, not yet

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games that left the greatest impression on me out of anything I played back then or ever since. I don't bother acknowledging any version less than the original.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Never finished the original, only Twin Snakes.
giphy.gif

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
So many quotable lines in one game, provided the delivery matches the original - that's the magic :-)

"Ok - I'm ready to go"
"A hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"
"Weapons and equipment OSP?"
"Push the action button to drop down"
"A surveillance camera?!"
"Metal gear?! It can't be!"
"Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon"
"Snake! Did you like my sunglasses?"
"So the snake's finally come out of his hole!"
"That takes care of the cremation"
"It's no good, I can't do it!"
"An undying shadow in a world of lights - but soon ...soon...it will finally end"
"Not yet snake! It's not over yet!"
"I'm YOU - I'm your shadow!"
"Excellent Snake - age hasn't slowed you down one bit!"

And it paved the way for metal gear awesome quotes as well, far down the line! Thanks Jesus!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
So many quotable lines in one game, provided the delivery matches the original - that's the magic :-)

"Ok - I'm ready to go"
"A hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"
"Weapons and equipment OSP?"
"Push the action button to drop down"
"A surveillance camera?!"
"Metal gear?! It can't be!"
"Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon"
"Snake! Did you like my sunglasses?"
"So the snake's finally come out of his hole!"
"That takes care of the cremation"
"It's no good, I can't do it!"
"An undying shadow in a world of lights - but soon ...soon...it will finally end"
"Not yet snake! It's not over yet!"
"I'm YOU - I'm your shadow!"
"Excellent Snake - age hasn't slowed you down one bit!"

And it paved the way for metal gear awesome quotes as well, far down the line! Thanks Jesus!

"You want to pull each others' ears?"

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
MGS2 was my first experience of the series and I skipped the prologue because the game stupidly gave me the choice to so Raiden was my first experience of metal gear lol.

Anyway I wish I was a bit older and MGS1 could have been my first experience. Played it on the ps2 and enjoyed it however even after playing the sequel. Truly a classic.

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that Twin Snakes exists and is seen as a valid way to experience Metal Gear Solid, especially for first time players, is a fucking travesty, and I say this as someone who bought a Gamecube pretty much to exclusively play for TTS. Thank god I really loved REmake and Resident Evil 4 and that those games justified the GC purchase for me, because damn.

Though Metal Gear Solid is definitely one of those video games of "you had to be there" to really experience the full effects of the game, especially in the context of its messaging, and later the shared contextual meaning between MGS -> Sons of Liberty. So I guess pissing all over the game's perception and public mindshare doesn't matter too much after the fact.

I straight up cannot understand people's preference for Twin Snakes.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Same. The Twin Snakes is a fine game. Gamers get mad for the dumbest reasons.

yeah I've never gotten why Twin Snakes is hated on so much. Sure it has a worse soundtrack and the new cinematics but outside of that it's almost the same experience. And the original is one of the worst aging games visually, it's disgusting to look at these days.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
This thread made me start MGS for the first time. I've beat every game in the series except MGS1 and Twin Snakes (but I did read the novelization for a report back in high school). I've owned the games for over ten years each now... about time lol. I'll play them back to back and see what I think.

Meryl gets sniped. A nice backtrack now to find a sniper rifle apparently.

what the fuck? is this what this song is named after?

Yes! The intro even samples some of the music from MGS. The band are apparently big Metal Gear fans. They even made "Ludens" for the Death Stranding soundtrack. In an interview they said how happy they were to meet Kojima while in Japan.

Their video for "Nihilist Blues" also has a couple quick frames that are just MGS screenshots.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
they have the same voice actors they just sound really robotic and emotionless compared to their MGS1 audio

Cyborg Ninja had a different voice actor Rob Paulsen. Originally voiced by Greg Eagles who voiced Decoy Octopus and Ninja in the original.

And how come I still remember that quote after all these years??

You don't 😋

So they had the same actors rerecord their lines? But... why?

They were busy doing retcons.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I went through the series with a friend a couple years back. 2016, I think. MGS1 had good graphics and an intriguing story for the time (with writing/acting that distinguishes itself a bit from the other games), but it was the only one of the set that I really didn't enjoy playing. Maybe it takes a different skill set than the other seven games we played and were fine with, but almost every encounter and boss fight was an exercise in frustration.

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
So they had the same actors rerecord their lines? But... why?

Audio for the original MGS was recorded in an old house next to a busy road. When they looked at using the audio in TTS, the quality of their hardware had improved and they were able to hear sounds from the street in the recordings so they were unusable.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yeah I've never gotten why Twin Snakes is hated on so much. Sure it has a worse soundtrack and the new cinematics but outside of that it's almost the same experience. And the original is one of the worst aging games visually, it's disgusting to look at these days.
I should go back and play the original some day, but the visuals were a big reason why I didn't touch it when I got the Legacy Collection.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I should probably play this game. I do have it on Vita and PSTV.

Only played 2, 3, 4 and a bit of 5.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of MGS timelines, we're now past the last events in the series time wise right? I think MGR:R is the last chronologically and that took place in 2018.
In the canon timeline, yeah. We still have a few more years for Acid and Acid 2 though.

edit: Looks like we passed Acid 1, too. That took place in 2016.