• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genesis or Mega Drive

• Genesis is the only correct answer

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • GENESIS. USA! THIS IS AMERICA

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • Genesis sounds much cooler.

Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, trifecta of perfect names

Votes: 56 13.0%
  • Mega Drive I guess

Votes: 269 62.6%

• Total voters

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Aes3DKq.jpg

Ia6x2GK.jpg

Sega Genesis USA Launch Commercial - August/September 1989.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mega drive sounds cooler

dreamcast and gamecube are the best video game hardware names

PlayStation is a play on the phrase workstation

if you say anything other than super N. E. S. or super Nintendo you are an idiot

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
This take is a tad xenophobic, don't you think? literally the rest of the world outside of the US & Canada knows it as the Mega Drive.

Don't forget Mexico, they had Sega Genesis too, probably with official distribution, not sure about that.

Also, while it was Megadrive in Brazil (and probably Uruguay, not sure how was the market there) in Argentina it was known as Genesis too, even though there was some Tectoy support in Argentina and Chile for a couple years, at least in Argentina it ended up mostly with Genesis units from the states and then the market was flooded with Genesis pirate clones (second model) from China/Taiwan. Some even had the same box and instructions. And there were a bunch of weird named Genesis clones too, like Senga, Songa and stuff.

Btw, Master System was non existant in Argentina. So "The Sega" = Genesis.

So far:

Mexico: Genesis.

Brasil: Mega Drive (they had up to MD IV IIRC)

Argentina: it was mixed at first because of Tectoy, but around 1993 it was all Genesis and it will be always remembered there as Genesis. Or just "The Sega".

Chile/Peru: not exactly sure how was the Tectoy thing there, but they got lots of imports from the Us, so it's probably Genesis.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'll reiterate. Without a copetitive Genesis in North America , Sega was looking at repeat of the master system. Also the great ads were all Genesis centered by SoA under Kalinske

It's Genesis

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive is much more 90's to me.
Genesis just reminds me of the bible, and nobody needs that.

Also...

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Mega Drive, because its the console I had and I prefer the name.

But lets be serious... Mega Drive or Genesis it doesn't matter... What matters is we were in the right side of the 16 bit console war!!!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Mega Drive always makes me think of Power Drive from Lee Carvello's Putting Challenge. I think it's an immensely lame name and never understood why people love it so much.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive is generic, bombastic and dumb.

Genesis is elegant.
Saturn is elegant.
Dreamcast is perfection.

But it doesn't surprise me to see MD be so popular in world where the name XBox is a popular thing.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Genesis is elegant.
Saturn is elegant.
Dreamcast is perfection.

But it doesn't surprise me to see MD be so popular in world where the name XBox is a popular thing.

I'm with you though I think the Xbox's original name of Direct Xbox is more in line with Mega Drive.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Genesis is elegant.
Saturn is elegant.
Dreamcast is perfection.

You got that wrong. The world where XBox is popular was also coincidentally the world having the Genesis.

Also Sega Mega Drive it is.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
It's Mega Drive, guys; the poll is truth.

It's also Lylat Wars but I don't think I wanna die on that hill.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got that wrong. The world where XBox is popular was also coincidentally the world having the Genesis.

Also Sega Mega Drive it is.
Exactly. The regions where Xbox is most popular are North America and the UK. In the rest of the world, PlayStation has always been more popular than Xbox.

It's all one world brothers. And PlayStation is only slightly better than XBox. It's dullfully on the nose similar to something like Microsoft in a world with Apples and Googles.

Mega Drive is generic.
vintage-atari-st-mega-st-computer_1_73063d9d76e0b36095c62014869cbf53.jpg

video-game-console-knockoff.jpg

Mega Drive is bombastic.
images

getImage

Mega Drive is bad.
Genesis is from the good book. Mega Drive is never mentioned in the good book. Genesis sounds like Optimus. Mega Drive sounds like Megatron. Optimus Prime is the good hero. Mega Drive is the disgusting bad guy. Ergo Genesis is good. Mega Drive is bad.

I think I've settled this debate. You're welcome.

Oct 28, 2017
Genesis is religion. Religion isn't cool, has never been cool and will never be cool.

Mega is cool. Driving is cool. Mega Drive is cool.

It's science. And as we all know science is better than religion.

Megadragon15

Oct 27, 2017
Let's face the reality. In the places of the world where it was called the Sega Mega Drive, it was treated like an also ran against the Super Nintendo/Famicom. The only places that it was even competitive against the Super Nintendo were in places where it was called the Sega Genesis.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Let's face the reality. In the places of the world where it was called the Sega Mega Drive, it was treated like an also ran against the Super Nintendo/Famicom. The only places that it was even competitive against the Super Nintendo were in places where it was called the Sega Genesis.
Megadrive was successful In Europe and Brazil but North America was the largest market and it's where the underdog beating monopoly narrative was formed. And it's success in NA cemented it as the dominant western platform until 1995 when SNEs overtook it.

People voting Megadrive for sentimental regioncentric (fuck America) reasons are missing the point

Oct 28, 2017
This couldn't be more wrong. Mega Drive was more popular than SNES in Europe. SNES was more popular than "Genesis"(I got a shiver down my spine just typing that word) in the US. Mega Drive is where Sega won, not the other way round.

Another reason Mega Drive is the superior name. It represents a winner.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
As a Brit I remember fervently chasing down imported Gamepros and EGMs so I could see all the games ahead of their European release, including many that were never even released here at all. Being an American during the 16bit era looked like a hell of a lot of fun, and a part of me will always be sad that I never got to experience it from that unique perspective.

But it's a Mega Drive.

Growing up in the UK I'm obviously more partial to the name Mega Drive but they're both such cool names, so evocative and oddly powerful.

Though that said, while both logos are probably a bit gaudy and dated the MD one is far, far better. The font on the Genesis one is hideous D:

The entire Genesis branding aesthetic is awful. The worst thing about it? This

pVIfuo.png

It's probably Rik Mayal's fault or something.

The first time I heard #SNEZ publicly acknowledged was by Violet Berlin on Bad Influence.

But honestly If it's good enough for Rik it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
You must be referring to some virtual realtity, not the actual reality, where the Mega Drive beat the SNES in nearly every single region where it was called the Mega Drive, with the sole exception of Japan.