• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
"Freedoms Internally"

Only in America can you have this publicly available: It has been dubbed the 'last round you will ever need'

j9WcTs0.png
Yeah, you really gotta question the kind of person who buys ammunition like that. I remember when it first came out, I was thinking that's the kind of thing that just screams "I want to kill somebody". A regular bullet works just fine at making a threat go away, and doesn't demonstrate to the jury that you're a homicidal maniac.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, op, it's pretty scary how quickly we all get over shootings stories, but don't worry, it's a feeling that too will pass quickly.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I say it all the time. If dozens of little kids getting slaughtered in school didn't change anything, nothing will.

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
additionally, it's scary how many shootings don't get reported because they fall outside of the managed news cycle or aren't as easy to report

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 people dying of a mass shooting is standard for Americans now. When the body count hits the 20's or involves kids, they'll pay attention. Politically motivated shootings would create a stir as well.

Deleted member 5260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we can't do anything about guns in this country, and paying attention didn't seem to help...

Maybe not paying attention will work!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly settling into that "we're doomed" mentality. The 2nd amendment ain't budging in the direction it needs to go.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I think America is gradually approaching the point where the public feels there is something deviant and untrustworthy about any culture that DOESN'T have mass shootings. Like, what the hell is wrong with your people if no one takes a gun out and occasionally opens up on the public? That's a sign of normal, All-American, healthy virility. If your country doesn't have that... they must be sick in the head.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Now of course this has to be private, since the gun nuts will come at anyone who expresses a negative opinion about them, but then the NRA is tanking too, possibly because while the gun nuts get more fervent, there still isn't the wide-ranging membership base that they used to have
The death of the NRA wont stop anything. There is more than enough organizations willing to step up and take the reigns and people who donate to them are extremely serious about being able to keep their guns. If you want anything to happen you have to change the people which is something thats going to take a very long time, maybe even longer considering how numb people are starting to become. Nothing is impossible, but its starting to feel like it.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
There was a shooting here in Orlando while I'm on vacation in Disney. Two people dead and me and my family just shrugged for a second and moved on like it's nothing. It's sad how normalized it all is

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
As long as people of color live in the US conservative white people will fight to the death to keep their guns.

This country was founded on slavery and genocide enforced at the end of a gun barrel.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Wild West 2: Less Sheriffs Who Care edition

2nd Amendment just might win and maybe in 50 years we'll all just carry guns for protection since our gov't isn't stopping it and think nothing of it.

I'm wondering how difficult it'd be myself.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Less media coverage the better. It's not helping or swaying public opinion. It's just the attention the shooter craves, so the less coverage the better imo.
I have too agree. It sucks because you would have thought the coverage would have swayed enough of the public and people in power to be so against it as to actually do proactive stuff about it. Now people are just numb to it, they react in the moment and that's it.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It happened in my state and a day later I had pretty much forgotten about it. One of my friends in Canada made passing mention of it and I was like 'hmm?' for a second before I remembered. He was like, wow you guys are really numb to this now huh? And I guess so.

Oct 25, 2017
no
I had this sorta thought yesterday, OP. It happened, BuzzFeed posted the names, I did a quiz and found out I'm blueberry pie.

The realization was unsettling. The quiz was not satisfying.

Oct 27, 2017
It's by design. The media machine is always working. Plus the powers that be has desensitized Americans to mass shootings and violence.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I had a nightmare last night about trying to outrun a school shooter. It was weird telling my friends in Europe as I realized I only dreamed of something that horrible because of being from the fucked up USA.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
When not standing up for the flag/anthem is a bigger deal than your citizens dying because of guns. That is the USA.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Columbine was a national tragedy and is still remembered today. Everything since has been less and less shocking.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was working in the US last week (in California) and it was as if this just didn't happen. I found out via The Guardian.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The only way I see anything ever being done is of someone really popular/powerful or the president is a victim of a mass shooting.

People of all kinds have been killed in mass shootings and nothing is ever done to change it.
Didn't a nutcase shoot up a bunch of Congressmen at some charity baseball game a few years back? Some of them were even GOP members…

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't a nutcase shoot up a bunch of Congressmen at some charity baseball game a few years back? Some of them were even GOP members…
I'm pretty sure they were all GOP members, with one Republican congressman being hospitalized. Gun rights are too powerful of a political tool for them to abandon, even if the violence is directed at them.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
It really is scary. Less than 2 years ago was the Vegas incident, 59 people killed and 851 people injured. Feels like so long ago now.... it's sad.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
After Sandy Hook came and went, I honestly just started avoiding these threads and news articles. Even discussing it or voicing my frustration feels empty. If this shit feels hopeless even to people who actually live in the US...

Columbine was all that was being discussed in the news for weeks, even here. To think that things would only get worse from there.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
For the rest of the world, a mass shooting like this would lead to weeks of national mourning.

But for America, it was Tuesday.

This is crass but don't mass shooting avarage out at about 1 a day in America.

It feels like there is one major one everyweek. Untill they become rare it would be hard to keep up if you focused on just one on a forum that moves so fast.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in high school when Columbine happened and even then I knew it would never matter. Seemed like the media cared more about those two loser trenchcoat dipshits than than the victims or how to prevent something like it happening again. Same with VA tech and on and on. Now we don't even hear much about the murderers but we don't here anything else either.

The gun problem will never be solved.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching the Purge movie series recently, and that movie might have the right solution for America. Stopping the violence is clearly not possible, so might as well go full freedom once a year.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Like other people have said, Sandy Hook was the make-or-break point. If you couldn't get Republicans to care about a shooting where the victims were middle class white children, they will never care. Republicans and the NRA are right-wing cults built on death and exploitation.

At this point I'm just wondering when it will be my turn. When I'm the "someone else" it happens to.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Dead kids are bad, but me losing the right to own rootie tootie point 'n' shooties is much, much worse.

Oct 30, 2017
It happens so often now and there seems to be so little motivation to change anything - That I just blank it out now whenever I hear about it

It happens *shrug shoulders*

I'll stay in my safe little corner of the world instead

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"Freedoms Internally"

Only in America can you have this publicly available: It has been dubbed the 'last round you will ever need'

j9WcTs0.png
Listen, my boom-boom bangaroos just aren't as much fun if they aren't designed for maximum lethality. I won't shoot any bullet that doesn't have at least a +75% bleed damage buff.

It will never change. The US is doomed.
Maybe if people who DON'T like mass shootings would just shut up, it would be easier for me to enjoy my blip blap rapadap wing zingers.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
lets face it, after the US didnt bother to do anything after Sandy Hook, it really confirmed that mass shootings are just a way of life.

Its your normality now.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
lets face it, after the US didnt bother to do anything after Sandy Hook, it really confirmed that mass shootings are just a way of life.

Its your normality now.
I'll ask you to please not criticize the blim-blam thank you ma'ams that I am CONSTITUTIONALLY ENTITLED to enjoy with no gees, goshes, or darns given.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Even the "shock" after each mass shooting feels like going through the standard routine.
We have been desensitized.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't even think I've seen any news outlet reporting on the recent shooting over here. Had Tim Cook not tweeted about it I'd probably have missed it as a whole 🤷‍♂️ I don't even give a mental shrug anymore, not like anything's gonna change.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
When it comes to mass shootings, 10 dead Americans is barely a blip on the radar. Especially when there's no juicy political/social issue behind this one.

They clearly aren't interesting in doing anything about it, so why bother discussing it? It's not like anything is going to be said this time that hasn't been said the last 20 times it happened.