• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
This is obviously going to be a terrible next few months (or longer), but try to look on the bright side - this is going to hopefully change society in some positive ways:
-increased awareness of disease/virus/whatever transmission and the need for everyone to be more sanitary
-industries that generally do not provide workers with sick leave will likely be forced to start providing it for public health (food service, retail, etc). I am guessing this is mostly an American issue.
-decreased stigma around calling in sick to work when needed
-acceptance that many jobs can be done at home, or that we do not need to have as many in-person meetings and can do just as much through online means

Also the realisation that free or affordable healthcare effects the entirety of a nation's health. Not just the poor

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It's, but at least you have to live it in 2020 and nor 1920. 100 years of medical advances are really something else, we could be way more fucked if it wasn't for that. Granted, virus spread quickly and easier because of the change in transportation, but without the medical advances this could be our doom.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm consistently pissed that i have to come to work while my employer has said fuck all about the virus or their plans
This is what's pissing me off as well. I have a week vacation next week that I planned back in November but I'm not actually going anywhere just going to hang out at home. It's a relief in a time like this.

All my employer has said is wash your hands and don't touch your face, yet we are moved around constantly in the building having to use tools shared by over 20 different people a day. Shit is wack.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm consistently pissed that i have to come to work while my employer has said fuck all about the virus or their plans
Yep, same here it's awful. They haven't implemented any way for us to work from home and refuse to think about it.

In my group chat with my friends we've talked about it and meme'd about it but slowly each new report has made everyone start to realize how serious this is. I'm happy everyone is aware and starting to be careful but it's also sad because who wants to see their friend panic?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
u2RlRwF.png

A quibble, but The Thing takes place in Antarctica, not the Arctic.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Olympics and next gen being thrown out of whack really disappoint me.

But we're also witnessing history in the making here, it's quite interesting to see even if I wish it wasn't happening in the first place.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You know.... Have you ever said in any zombie movie "hahaha how stupid, that wouldn't happen IRL"? Well, what's sad is that we are even dumber, and those things that happened in the movie would pale in comparison.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm less panicked and more a bit depressed about it. It's like you can't see other people as comfort because of what's going on. I get it. Kind of reminds me we all need to be more supportive of each other even through text because we still have that?

Same feeling, i don't fear it all, but it's seem to affect so much people anxiety to another level I've haven't seen since a long time.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
But we're also witnessing history in the making here, it's quite interesting to see even if I wish it wasn't happening in the first place.
It's a very interesting feeling. I'm in the UK, which is likely heading in the same direction as Ireland and Italy in terms of school closures etc., and going to the supermarket earlier (to buy a regular amount of food) felt like a clandestine activity - like my brain half-expected me to get jumped by spaghetti-seeking bandits on the way home. A ridiculous feeling, but a feeling all the same.

More than anything, this is a sobering reminder of how people in war-torn regions must feel all the damn time. One year you have a regular job and a family; the next you're waiting in line for aid, or choosing to feed your children and go hungry yourself. To be clear: I don't think that's going to happen here, but the ongoing social contract and the supply chain that serves it is remarkably fragile - even in the most privileged places. And I hope a tiny taste of that will give us a new, more empathetic perspective when this is all over.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I have this strange disconnect where when I read stuff online the world seems to be coming to an end, but other than having a conference postponed everyday life is exactly as it was before.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This is obviously going to be a terrible next few months (or longer), but try to look on the bright side - this is going to hopefully change society in some positive ways:
-increased awareness of disease/virus/whatever transmission and the need for everyone to be more sanitary
-industries that generally do not provide workers with sick leave will likely be forced to start providing it for public health (food service, retail, etc). I am guessing this is mostly an American issue.
-decreased stigma around calling in sick to work when needed
-acceptance that many jobs can be done at home, or that we do not need to have as many in-person meetings and can do just as much through online means
I wouldn't trust humans to not have the memory of a dog.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
If I'm being frank here, it put me in higher anxiety and suicidal thoughts recently.

Hell, I ain't sure if I can handle staying at home any longer until it dies down. Assuming it dies down, of course.
It's somewhat opposite for me. This has given me something to look forward to. It's really interesting how much things have changed in so little time.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very interesting feeling. I'm in the UK, which is likely heading in the same direction as Ireland and Italy in terms of school closures etc., and going to the supermarket earlier (to buy a regular amount of food) felt like a clandestine activity - like my brain half-expected me to get jumped by spaghetti-seeking bandits on the way home. A ridiculous feeling, but a feeling all the same.

More than anything, this is a sobering reminder of how people in war-torn regions must feel all the damn time. One year you have a regular job and a family; the next you're waiting in line for aid, or choosing to feed your children and go hungry yourself. To be clear: I don't think that's going to happen here, but the ongoing social contract and the supply chain that serves it is remarkably fragile - even in the most privileged places. And I hope a tiny taste of that will give us a new, more empathetic perspective when this is all over.

That would be nice, and i'm in the UK too, so far no real issues here but the virus seems to be getting closer all the time and already the handwashes are being rationed to 3 per customer.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say he doesn't care.

BUT I CARE.

I still think the Paul Rudd Wilford Brimley fact is one of the most mind-blowing things ever.

Wilford Brimley was the same age when he made Cocoon - as was as Paul Rudd when he made Ant Man.

I can only assume Paul Rudd's swimming pool has more Space-Eggs than Brimley's.
Unfortunately Brimley supports cockfighting and likely a bunch of other grim shit so I prefer to think of him as a purely fictional character.

ypcEMw3.jpg

nTuYItX.gif

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It is sad. Definitely the first time in my life that, as an American, I've felt uneasy and unsafe about a health crisis. It's a level of ... I guess privileged that I've never had challenged, but something that people in other parts of the world have certainly felt before. It's a little more anxiety inducing for me now as an adult with kids and elderly parents, where as a ~20 year old or w/e I'd mostly just be worried about myself, so I wouldn't be that personally worried.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think after last night people (Americans) really are starting to see the effects of this.

No sports, no music festivals, stock market will continue to fall, multiple industries will suffer - film especially comes to mind. Its going to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully after the NBA news people take this more seriously than before.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
you take the knocks life gives you and hopefully learn from them......this virus originated in China, they should use this as an opportunity to make China the worlds leader in food safety, shut the wet market for good and lead by example. For the USA, lets come together and support each other in a way we haven't with our shitty president - we can and will get through this one way or another

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What makes me sad is the clear abuse politically from both sides in using this as a political tactic against the other causing more hysteria than what is already there.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not worried about getting sick, or sick pay. I'm worried about being let go cause everything is getting cancelled so my work would be obsolete.

I'm literally dreading losing everything I've gained and worked hard for the last few years.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When will humanity ever be ready to stop all physical human contact for weeks at a time at the drop of a hat?
More like, maybe humanity should have had contingencies in place when it comes to testing instead of letting people who would need it (such as traveling to and from affected areas) roam free.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
What makes me sad is the clear abuse politically from both sides in using this as a political tactic against the other causing more hysteria than what is already there.
Yes the one side trying to pass legislation that would address this issue in a serious way (paid sick leave, expanding medicare to everyone, eviction moratorium, etc.) is the same as the other one blaming the virus on "foreigners" and immigrants.

Exactly the same.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It really does suck, the feeling of paranoia. I was in the grocery store today and it was like my spidey sense was tingling, watching everyone like a hawk, avoiding getting too close to others whenever possible.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's incredibly sad, yes. I'm just hoping there's lessons to be learned on all fronts when something worse inevitably takes a shot at us in the future. Stay safe everyone, even if you aren't likely to take the worst of it. Just know that we're all in it together.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
I'm worried I'm going to lose my job. Maybe the school I work at will close down. Many of the full-time, regular employees are making contingenices to work from home. But I'm a contractor who apparently is not allowed to telework. Great :(

Oct 27, 2017
My 71 year old mom is just getting better from pneumonia and there are at least 6 cases of coronavirus in Riverside (California)... I'm holding it in but I'm honestly really worried.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
How probable is it that we'll see more pandemics in the near future as the permafrost melts at an alarming rate and viruses have already been identified in some of this permafrost?

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
ERA when do you think this is going to be stabilized in general? Q4 2020?

Oct 31, 2017
User warned: trolling over multiple posts in this thread
I don't think you're supposed to make posts stating that you're sad here, anymore

it'll ruin the perfect lives of the posters who get depressed when they read this forum

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a fucking bummer. I'm anxious all the fucking time, and it's a vacuous, invisible thing that you simply cannot tell where it is.