• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
North Austin is largely dead as well, especially around the Domain area (Indeed, IBM, Amazon, VRBO, Texas Instruments). My organization is (thus far) the largest tech company around here that hasn't issued a blanket WFH decree.

That said, I did hear one of our company executives mention that they're worried people will be hesitant to eventually transition back to the office after working from home for an extended period. Couldn't have rolled my eyes harder when I heard that tripe...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Google tells everyone to stay home and roads are clear. I guess we know who contributes the most traffic now...
It's not just Google, it's a bunch of companies.

Who’s staying home because of COVID-19?

A list of all the companies WFH or events changed because of covid-19

No shit when the biggest professional sector in a region tells its employees to stay home, traffic is going to be reduced.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just tells me more people in general need to work from home. Good for the environment, traffic, and mental well being (depending on the person of course).

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I just got hired at a SF based start up and the whole company is -working remotely for the next two weeks so my onboarding will be remote instead of in-person. Seems the companies in the Bay area are taking it very seriously.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I work in SF and commute from the suburbs about 25 miles south. Normally in the mornings it takes 1 hour plus to get in. I made it in 35 minutes every day this week. Its surreal.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I have been WFH-ed by work (in Kirkland) since last Thursday. On Monday I went in to the office to get a few things I had forgotten to bring home with me. I went at morning rush hour, because it was preventing me from working at this point anyway, so I wanted to get it done so I could not be a total slacker immediately after starting WFH. My normal commute in the morning is about an hour.

Stopping at starbucks, the office, and one other store on the way home, i was there and back in an hour and ten minutes.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Breezed right through the 93/95 cloverleaf in the Boston area today. I've been driving for 30 years(gulp) and haven't seen anything like it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just google. It's literally all companies in the area. Santa Clara county issued a guidance to the companies saying to enact WFH.
It's not just Google, it's a bunch of companies.

Who’s staying home because of COVID-19?

A list of all the companies WFH or events changed because of covid-19

No shit when the biggest professional sector in a region tells its employees to stay home, traffic is going to be reduced.
It was a joke based off the announcement Google made yesterday. Clearly it's a cumulative thing from various companies.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
What if WFH works so well that everyone just continues doing it? That would be the dream, wouldn't it?

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I hope this telecommuting thing in the bay area ends up being permanent. It would save a huge amount of daily carbon emissions.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
The drive into Boulder this morning was like a holiday-level congestion. Very light. Looks like the TomTom data shows a bit of a downswing from the normal levels in Denver as well.

I-25 is still pretty clogged, but that's fairly normal.

Mar 3, 2019
Minneapolis isn't near that point yet, but driving the work the last few days has been a breeze compared to normal. Hopeful that means some of the cities are trying to get ahead of this.

Really? I know the U of M is doing online classes now, but we only have like 5 cases right now. At least in St. Paul its still business as usual traffic wise.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really? I know the U of M is doing online classes now, but we only have like 5 cases right now. At least in St. Paul its still business as usual traffic wise.

Yah. I dip right into the congestion on 35W and I've cruised full speed since Monday.

5 cases is plenty. It's gonna get bad next week everywhere. 5 reported cases probably means a few hundred in reality.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I went in to the office on Monday (From Santa Clara to SF), and it was the fastest I've done that drive in recent memory. Insane.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Seattle area right now -

DKFu4Ye.jpg

We could do this 90% of the time. Think of the environmental impact.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Everyone across the US should stay home and only have essential personnel working.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of universities are doing it now because they have Spring Break in the next week or two. Having all those students coming back to the classrooms after traveling was a disaster waiting to happen.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
Hope someone does a study over this time of the productivity difference between office work and working from home.

Be great if it was comparable and it drastically limited traffic/car pollution.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Weird, my commute on I-80 West from the Sac Area towards the bay has been unusually congested the past couple days.