• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I mean, what were you expecting from "next gen" graphics? We've begun to reach diminishing results. Lighting, RTX, and resolution will change, along with rendering distance, but we aren't going to have many more Gears of War moments anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls is 100% next-gen to me. Especially when not too long after it was shown yesterday, we saw a montage of PS4 games that looked remarkably worse than Demon's Souls. Uncharted 4 and God of War were graphical show-pieces in their day, but they looked downright PS3-esque by comparison.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
So all the people impressed with forbidden west before now believe it's not all that or something? This PS4 announcement really retroactively affected the graphics huh. I don't get it at all.
Most rational people don't. Yes, I get the disappointment in the idea (which may not be true anyway) that it won't take full advantage of the PS5 (particularly that far out from launch), but what they showed of Forbidden West already look to be quite a step ahead. So, I'm giving benefit of the doubt on at least that front - never mind that this is SIE and visuals are rarely something they have trouble delivering on.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
Ratchet, Demon and Miles Morales all cemented it for me.

I am surprised Miles Morales is not being praised more, I think it looked stunningly good.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're getting older and less easy to impress, OP.

FF16 is revealed and i feel nothing

3lYi.gif

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the games look quite nice, but we're long past the point of diminishing returns. I've already resigned myself to the idea that I'm not going to get another Zelda: Link to the Past moment (that rain!), a Battle Arena Toshinden moment (yeah, I know it's a bad game, but a 3D fighting game in my own home was shocking), or even a Gears of War or Lost Odyssey moment.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Each gen is like this where all games do not impress graphically. Few games are shown off at launch on what is possible. I will say that demon souls and ratchet and clank look phenomenal.

Now just imagine what games could look like 3-4 years in. We will be super impressed by then.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
"next gen" will never be revelatory as it used to be. part diminishing returns, part promulgation of PC (in 2004 how many people beat their chest over HL2 and doom3 being our purview into gen 7, which it pretty was. Well I don't remember it at least)

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
"next gen" will never be revelatory as it used to be. part diminishing returns, part promulgation of PC (in 2004 how many people beat their chest over HL2 and doom3 being our purview into gen 7, which it pretty was. Well I don't remember it at least)

I don't know. I think the next Switch might be quite exciting.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
The OP is new to gaming 😉 First run of next-gen titles are designed on older tech and not fully utilising the new hardware. Plus as the graphics have improved over the last 3 decades we're getting to that point where improvements seem more subtle.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think it's about time people realize we've hit a point where it truly is the skill of the artists that matters, and graphical upgrades are impressive, nice to have, but won't have the same groundbreaking effect it used to.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm confused, are you equating the Bug Snax trailer to experiencing Alyx?

I'm saying the concept of "next gen" hasn't been adequately defined. For you it's one of the best VR experiences. For others they're excited about stuff like DMCV SE. It just seems pointless to argue about when it's not clear what the phrase means. I just used Bugsnax because obviously it's the opposite of what a lot of people generally think of when this topic comes up.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls looks an awful lot like the Unreal demo, so you are on planet crazy.

Hogwarts and FFXVI look last gen on Pro consoles, so I feel ya, but acting like there's nothing out there...

That said, this new gen is targeting better performance, so things won't look as crazy impressive.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm saying the concept of "next gen" hasn't been adequately defined. For you it's one of the best VR experiences. For others they're excited about stuff like DMCV SE. It just seems pointless to argue about when it's not clear what the phrase means. I just used Bugsnax because obviously it's the opposite of what a lot of people generally think of when this topic comes up.
Ah okay I see. And yeah, that was kind of the point of my post to begin with. Obviously graphics are a big part of generational leaps, but with the diminishing returns we've been experiencing, it was a truly mindblowing experiencing witnessing an actual jump in the actual "experience" of playing a video game that Alyx provides. That combined with its impressive graphics/engine, of course. Everyone who has tried it at my place come out thinking about VR completely differently and blown away.

I personally have not had that "OMG this is new territory" next gen feeling since playing Mario 64 for the first time, that is, until playing Alyx (I'm 34 years old).

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Demons Souls looks amazing, very next gen. There was a comparison video in YouTube that pointed out at stuff like ray tracing and it all looks great. People criticize the animations, but I think they are very on-brand with the game, so I appreciate it. I think it's a great game to showcase the capabilities of PS5, thinking about the difference locations and imagining how they look makes me very excited for PS5. Now, if only I can pre-order the console...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I think the next Switch might be quite exciting.

I mean in terms of your brain struggling to process "omg how can I what i'm seeing onscreen be REAL wtf "

I felt it with 8 bit, 16 bit, 32/16 and ps2 and Xbox respectively but 7th gen in was like 'yeah... This is kind of it" aside from obvs ways it'll get more impressive with resolution, framerate, lighting RTX and other bellwhistles and doohikies.

I mean it's arguable a remaster of crysis (2007) can even match the game modded 13 years later

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Demon souls didn't impress me or FFXVI graphically. But, Ratchet and Clank definitely look next gen...

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i just realized the Ratchet & Clank franchise has been consistently chugging for 20 years, wow

props to insomniac

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice looking, but if you told me this was Ratchet 2016, I'd easily believe it.
Then I'm sorry, but you could see a Pixar film from a "videogame" 3rd person camera angle and say the same. Like what could possibly impress you if the new R&C doesn't? Games aren't going to look much better than that any time soon.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
FF16 is revealed and i feel nothing

3lYi.gif

I get the feeling, and I think it has to do with the fact that the protagonist doesn't look iconic... it looks like an NPC or Random avatar.

but the story looked dope! I'm hoping it's a game in the vein of Tactics or XII or FF1-5, where I think the protagonists were somewhat forgettable, but the focus was more with the story. I wonder if the game will be released next year or if it'll be forever in development

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen the Demon's Souls trailer? For me that's definitely that "next-gen graphics, I had the same feeling watching it that I had watching the Killzone: Shadowfall trailer (those waterfalls...)

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
There definitely hasn't been a wow moment for me. I think the closet was hellblade 2 but who knows if that was actually representing of what it will really look like

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Demon's Souls looked alright on the live stream. Watching it later though when it was uploaded at a higher resolution and frame rate though.. mind blown.

That one really feels next-gen to me.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Demon's look pretty next gen to me. Certainly impressive to kick a generation off.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Demons Souls looked very impressive to me, especially when I watched a comparison video on YouTube.

Then just now I watched the 4K 60FPS trailer on my 4K TV.

Yeah, that game looks incredible to me.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Please check demons souls op. I think it's pretty a compelling case for what next gen can be. Also pay careful attention to the loading. Not just about graphics but the experience.

Mar 10, 2018
So all the people impressed with forbidden west before now believe it's not all that or something? This PS4 announcement really retroactively affected the graphics huh. I don't get it at all.
If Sony announced tomorrow, "Just kidding, none of the upcoming PS5 games are cross gen", you would all of a sudden see threads of people talking about how incredible Miles Morales looks, along with Horizon, Final Fantasy, etc.

Some of these people would stop wearing shirts if Sony told them they had six packs.

Oct 29, 2017
Kind of off topic, but can PS5 and the new xbox output 1440p? Or is it only 1080p or 4k?
If Sony announced tomorrow, "Just kidding, none of the upcoming PS5 games are cross gen", you would all of a sudden see threads of people talking about how incredible Miles Morales looks, along with Horizon, Final Fantasy, etc.

Some of these people would stop wearing shirts if Sony told them they had six packs.
To be fair, it's less about what you see and more about what you don't see. Developers working on the game having a brainstorming session or deciding on mechanics or areas of the game: "Oh man we should totally have an area X that contains A, B, and C. That would be perfect for this!" "Yeah you're right, but if we did that it would cause way too many issues/be too difficult to implement/be problematic on the PS4, so we probably shouldn't do that."

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's talking about Demon's Souls but I mean, some particle effects, fake volumetric lighting, fog but we've had that since the N64...could probably be done on the Switch, just like Witcher 3 was. Just have drop the resolution a bit, add more loading zones, and use only 12 polys per model. Maybe remove any dynamic lighting.