• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 8, 2018
You could compare any current gen game to the Demos/Gif's and notice a difference in lighting, Shadow quality, reflections, overall density of static and moving objects. What OP considers next-gen remains an opinion in the end.

Last edited:

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So all the people impressed with forbidden west before now believe it's not all that or something? This PS4 announcement really retroactively affected the graphics huh. I don't get it at all.
It's somewhere in between Demon's Souls/ Ratchet and Hellblade for me. If it comes out looking exactly like the footage then it'll be absolutely incredible.
But it was far enough removed from real footage that, like Hellblade, I wouldn't yet use it as proof of how good next gen gaming looks.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Everyone keeps saying gameplay matters most but I see at least 3 "anyone feel like we haven't seen next gen graphics " every week here lol

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't underhand we have seen Ratchet and Clank several times. I think it looks next gen visually and the SSD looks to change the game design.

ratchet-and-clank-ps4-vs-ps5-scaled-1.jpg

damn PS4 looks good

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have said this every gen since the 360(Remember the Xbox 1.5 memes?) and people have been wrong every gen launch since the 360 launch.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls and Flight Simulator at high settings are the best looking games I've ever seen. Truly next-gen visuals.

R&C and Miles both look better than anything on current gen, too, though the jump isn't as large there.

Horizon will probably look amazing, but I have to see gameplay first. I wasn't blown away at all by the Demon's Souls announcement trailer, personally, but then I saw this gameplay at 60fps and my jaw dropped. Horizon hasn't given me that moment yet because I can't be super impressed by cinematics.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
On every start of new generation of consoles we have seen a game that make us think "ok this is true next gen game". It happened in ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 era. Not in PS5. Except unreal engine 5 showcase.

I just wanna see some short gameplay, a glimpse of next gen graphics and what is possible on those amazing ps5/xsx specs.

Don't tell me about diminishing returns please. There is a huge difference between jaguar 1.6ghz cpu,1.8tf gpu and hdd AND ryzen 3.5ghz,ssd,10tf gpu. We need to see that difference

Check out Microsoft Flight Simulator, or Control with rtx, on pc.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Only Flight Simulator represents something that can't be done on current gen systems.

Not to take away from demons, Halo, Miles, or Ratchet but those are prettier versions of what was possible on current gen.

Flight sim is truly a mind melting leap.

Oct 25, 2017
Takes a year to two years from the start of the gen to see the graphical jump. Look at Black Flag to Unity for instance or the TLOU to UC4

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Good ol diminishing returns. It's gonna be quite a long while before we're gonna see a game that makes something like Last of Us 2 look like dogshit in comparison. Like yeah Demons looks great but it doesn't have that effect where I look at it and then back at PS4 stuff and go "wow look at what I didn't know I was missing!"

Everything just looks good, the era of quantum leaps have long since passed.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It's somewhere in between Demon's Souls/ Ratchet and Hellblade for me. If it comes out looking exactly like the footage then it'll be absolutely incredible.
But it was far enough removed from real footage that, like Hellblade, I wouldn't yet use it as proof of how good next gen gaming looks.
That I get, and I wouldn't argue about it being proof, but I feel like people have started to be predisposed to dismiss what we've already seen of it and Miles Morales since the crossgen was revealed.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ratchet looks better than everything shown so far, and DS a PS3 game looks better than 99% of nextgen games shown so far. Games like Hellblade, and Horizon need to show more gameplay, but those 2 for sure will be extremely good looking.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls is looking fantastic but I think the times of the "wow" factor are behind us. I can appreciate what DeS or FS2020 do, but I don't think I'm gonna have more MGS2 E3 2000 moments for the rest of my life.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Flight Simulator is actually the only thing I've seen that truly made me go "WTF that's a jump". Demon's Souls looks great, but for some reason it doesn't scream "this was not possible before" to me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Only Flight Simulator represents something that can't be done on current gen systems.

Not to take away from demons, Halo, Miles, or Ratchet but those are prettier versions of what was possible on current gen.

Flight sim is truly a mind melting leap.
I don't understand this at all.

How can Flight Simulator - a game coming to current gen - not be done on current gen, but Ratchet - a game literally not possible to do on current gen - just a prettier version of what's possible on current gen?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Personally stuff like Ratchet & Clank & Demon's Souls look stunning to me, but fair play if they don't to others. Regardless, it usually takes a bit for stuff to really have that wow factor. Compare The Last of Us: Part II or RDR2 to 2013 games. It's night and day. There's going to be stuff next generation that blow this gen away, slowly but surely.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'd expect God of War II to be the moment for a lot of people. I didn't even like the last GoW, but that is a series definitely focused on being visually impressive.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Odd of OP to admit they have incredibly bad eyes then talk about graphics.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Microsoft released a current gen game that's more next gen than anything that will be in the near future...

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, besides flight simulator nothing dropped my jaw to the floor.

I really do think it's because of mid gen refreshes, but I do miss being floored.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
When I saw the trailers during the PS5 event, I thought that COD would be 60fps, Demon's Souls would clearly be 30, and Final Fantasy XVI might be 60 (cutscene character models feel way too last-gen, even below FFXV or FFVIIR).

I was _stunned_ when I saw that Demon's Souls was running at 60 after the show. It looks fantastic! It's not an open-world game which surely helps, but still...

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So many people fail to realize we are getting not only far far more powerful consoles compared to previous gen, we are also getting far better and beefier tech equivalent to what we were getting in 2013

who else remembers "long, long" ago when we would of been jacked to get an 8-10 teraflop Vega card, and you would of been laughed off the site if you mentioned raytracing in consoles.

Covid has been a complete bitch and I'm sure it's pushed or delayed some stuff, these consoles will sing pretty soon.

For the record I think demon souls and ratchet have mind blowing visuals. I even think Spiderman is going to blow people's faces off when they sit down to play it and see it in motion