• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Nightmare_Sun_Hunter's_Nightmare.jpg

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Next you guys will be saying BB is the best sports game this gen lol

It's a fine looking game and a finer playing game but this is a little much.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
You didn't just say a game was bad, you basically said work done by a lot of artists on very large successful franchises are churning out garbage tier "food". But whatever helps you justify your shit take on other artists.

Thanks <3 I don't know what it is about the From fandom that can make them so unbearable, but this is a prime example of that insufferable pseudo-elitism. "all these other games are just like McDonald's burgers"... seriously...

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
the game looks so fucking good honestly, it was the first game this gen to truly 'WOW' me as far as visuals go

nafejein32311.jpg

5AFIqFg.jpg

MV5BMmYzY2JhZmMtYTBhYS00MjBmLTgxYjMtZTM3MWE2ZWI5NGQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODUwNTM2ODI@._V1_.jpg
See art direction I get. It comes through with every picture posted, including yours. When I examine the details I'm like uhhh, I can't get there with you on the pretty. There's a ton of games that have it beat. Art direction is phenomenal though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne has some nice art direction but holy shit it is not the prettiest game of the generation and honestly it's not even in the top 25 in that category. The hyperbole in the OP is insane.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
sigh?... that still looks great?
And in motion even better with all the animations and atmospheric touches going on.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fine looking game, but it's pretty clearly not on the same level as the bullshot posted in the OP. And the sad thing is, simply being able to disable the godawful CA effect would go a long way towards achieving that level. It's frankly unbelievable that a toggle was never patched in.

And as for motion, well, I think most anybody who has noticed the edge shimmering or felt the effects of poor frame-pacing would disagree with you.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
It has good art design but the image quality is pretty rough, I was very disappointed when I first started playing it but I got used to it. It's rough.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Artstyle may be good (definitely not the garbage character creation) but the frame rate / pacing made me nauseaus, so it's a big NO for me.

It's really, really unfortunate that this game does have that effect on people.
The fame pacing can be rough, but with that plus the heavy CA on top, it can be physically uncomfortable to play.
It's so disappointing. I want to play the DLC, but it's not worth feeling bad.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, not even close. It has nice and cohesive art direction but the tech that powers it and the image quality ruins the experience.
I can name 5 games that came out same year that look better and not just tech, art direction included.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's an OK-looking game which can't even hold a steady 1080p30. The art is great but it's not the best looking game ever by any metric imaginable.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great art style that really carries it. But the same is true for games like Vampyr or Darksiders 2.

If we're talking raw visual fidelity then God of War, Uncharted 4, Metro Exodus, etc.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Art direction wise yeah it's S tier. Sekiro is far better in sheer graphics, especially image quality and even then it's not incredible. Honestly both are high marks for visual direction. I personally think Sekiros art is better but that's a personal thing. Not a huge fan of eldritch horror stuff, it's cool but even something like a dark souls is more appealing to me.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
this game is just pure greatness tbh

if the rumor about ps5 being backwards compatible with the ps4 is true, i really hope Bloodborne receives some sort of enhancement patch that irons out all the technical issues. such a pretty game.

17003363691_63d3ee602e_o.png

16398132814_ba46844c71_o.png

16956960811_09153c2aa2_o.png

16335467563_6836b81332_o.png

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
It's got one of the best aesthetics this gen but graphically there have been some real lookers especially with the enhanced consoles. Horizon, Spider-Man, god of war, kingdom hearts 3 and devil may cry all occupy the shiny Gfx top spot in my eyes although shadow of the tomb raider is a real looker as well. That game looks jaw dropping on the one x.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people try to make objectively wrong statements by being absolute when they can be objectively right just by not being absolute with a simple inclusion of "one of"?

It's one of the prettiest, no one will disagree with you there. But it's not the prettiest game by any means not even art design wise considering the horrible CA (the art itself may very well be the best depending on preference).

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Also don't know why so many are attacking the OP.

He said 'prettiest' and talks about art direction, pretty damn obvious this topic isn't about raw graphical prowess.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the game is plagued with Chromatic Aberration nullifies this claim from the get go.

God damn I hate this effect.

Also no, there are many prettier games, it doesn't make BB not pretty at the same time though, it's a great looking game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even scratch the Top 5, although it has some lovely art design.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

He said 'prettiest' and talks about art direction, pretty damn obvious this topic isn't about raw graphical prowess.
contrary to popular belief art direction and raw graphical prowess go hand in hand.
And even if OP was talking only about art direction , people are allowed to disagree

rinzler

Banned
Apr 5, 2019

Because it's not pretty, it's quite rough. It has some great looking design but graphically and on a technical level it's very middling.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
DLC is the best content in the game. It's worth it regardless of how you feel about frame pacing and CA (I basically stopped caring at a certain point)

I can live with the frame pacing. The CA gives me a bad headache playing. That's primarily why I hate it. It being ugly is the icing on the cake.
It's not worth it to me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Its my goty but not really. What you see is outstanding art, not graphics.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
game is still the GOAT as far as i'm concerned, what an amazing looking game

16994571276_1e7a0fa713_o.png

rinzler

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Totally last gen. /s
It's like you're intentionally seeking to misunderstand what I've said. It's quite clear they're using the same engine with more modern graphical feature sets which the PS4 API is capable of handling. This game could not be done on last generation hardware, but that doesn't mean the base engine was thrown out of the loop.

Like even Forza Horizon 4, it's a beautiful game but you can still see its roots from ForzaTech of last generation. It's not something hard to see, it's completely obvious it's a modified engine of what came before it and the same reality exists here.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Are those pics supposed to be impressive ? Looks like an early gen PS4 game, nothing special here.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Have you not seen RDR2? Bloodborne is 1000% a better game but RDR2's lighting, environments and animation blow it away.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I didn't even consider Bloodborne to be graphically impressive when it came out, let alone prettiest game of the gen.

I mean it's a great game and all that, but visually it was very underwhelming after playing the likes of other PS4 exclusives like DriveClub, Second Son and The Order.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fine, I've got nothing against it, but it certainly isn't the prettiest game this gen.
Even art direction wise I'd take many many games over it. Like Sonic Mania looks far more pleasing to me, or Forza Horizon 3, and Doom looks better if we want to go with " dark, gritty" games, and it runs way better.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its a great looking game, yeah.

But not without flaws like uneven framepacing and that weird chromatic effect.

I think overall its one of PS4 best looking games art and even graphic wise but there are others that excel in many areas (like Uncharted 4 is such beautiful looking game, Dark Souls 3 is bigger and more varied etc. GoW and DMC have these godly animations)

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even close. Rdr2, metro exodus, god of war, horizon, uc, most of the AC games, gears 4, most of the far crys, the tomb raider games, I could keep going.
I'm not a particularly big BB fan but comparing all this generic uninspired stuff to BB, seriously? Far Cry? Tomb fucking Raider? Holy Shit

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would call it the prettiest, but the art direction is so fucking solid and the way From executes the asset creation really lends itself to the direction's aesthetic.

Oct 26, 2017
Even in terms of art direction, pretty isn't the word I'd use for it. I thought the game was pretty ugly, tbqh. There are loads of games I find to be much more visually appealing, even if I go 2 generations back to the GC/PS2/Xbox. A lot of Nintendo's and Sony's first party titles look much better to me as well as multiplatform titles like Hollow Knight, Cuphead, or Okami