• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This is such an awful and bullshit take.

It's the right thing to do. There are BILLIONS of homeless cats/dogs, and it continues to grow all because dumbasses do NOT spay/neuter their animals. Especially when it comes to dumbasses who want purebred animals.

Purposely allowing your pets to breed is a shitty thing to do.
I didn't say you shouldn't do it. Just that's it's weird...like taking a domesticated animal you saved from a shelter to chop it's balls off at the doctor is really crazy from an outside perspective lol like it's really fucked up

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Like you get a pet to live in your house and you're expected to surgically remove it's reproductive organs so it behaves better.

The reason why castration is a common practice is because 1) the population has to be controlled so we don't have lots of abandoned animals living miserable lives on the streets and 2) because it can prevent some diseases like cancer.

Most serious ngos that help stray animals do it before putting them out for adoption for those reasons. Helping with the temper of the animal is just a welcome side effect.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I didn't say you shouldn't do it. Just that's it's weird...like taking a domesticated animal you saved from a shelter to chop it's balls off at the doctor is really crazy from an outside perspective lol like it's really fucked up
Yeah it's "really crazy" if you choose to ignore every single beneficial reason behind the decision.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

It's fucked up to prevent the awful circumstances you just pulled that animal out of from occurring again with several more animals?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
No, it is important to do it, all it takes is one unplanned escape and you've got a pregnant dog or something, this is exactly what happened to my wife's family and they are very much against selling or giving dogs away, so instead they raised all of 9 of them, which they loved but the house was crazy due to it. Now they have all their dogs fixed, but ignoring the population thing and preventing unwanted pregnancy of pets, at least with dogs, not doing so can end up being bad in the long run for their health, I didn't have my dog spayed when she was younger because I thought I may want puppies, I was young and dumb and soon realised I didn't want to do that to her, but by that point it was too late to easily spay her safely due to age, now every time she comes into heat I am worried due to all the complications that can happen when an older dog comes out of heat, in fact I spent all September having to deal with these exact issues after she had an infection internally when she came out of heat and it was a nightmare of worry non stop even with treatment that she may not make it due to the insane bleeding and infection it caused, she's fine now but when she comes into heat again the risk is there again.

Please everyone spay and fix your pets, if you value them as family members there are a lot of bad complications to their health, especially later in life, that can be avoided by doing it and help them have a better chance to live a lot longer.

Oct 27, 2017
Random thought I had last night. Like it's really fucking strange how accepted it is to spay and neuter your pets is.

Like you get a pet to live in your house and you're expected to surgically remove it's reproductive organs so it behaves better. To make it less aggressive, not make it not run around and have a whole litter....but if you're keeping an eye on your pet responsibly, how could that happen?

I feel like (could be wrong feel free to prove me so) that originality spraying and neutering pets was done to make them "behave better", but eventually as times changed they continued to do so under new reasoning (to lower the population) to rebrand the procedure. Not too unlike how male circumcision is now justified as "keeping your penis cleaner" to continue to do it.

It really is strange. Has anyone else thought critically about this? Or done extensive research on the topic?
It also prevents diseases

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh this sounds like a 'smoked weed for the first time' level take. How deeply are you even thinking about this?

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucked up to prevent the awful circumstances you just pulled that animal out of from occurring again with several more animals?
It's not more fucked than that...but the fact that we got to the point where it needs to be done is super weird. I'm not saying no one shouldn't spay and neuter their pets...but it is very bizarre that history and other circumstances have led society here.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, actually! And it's society agreeing your take is horrible. I know it's just piling on at this point, but you need as many notifications as possible about just how godawful your view is here.
giphy.gif

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

So just a heads up but at least here when you rescue a dog at a shelter or from a rescue group you have to agree to have it spayed or fixed if it is too young to have had it done yet or just hasn't had it done, because it ain't weird, it's a good idea to not continue the cycle of non stop over breeding that leads to more dogs needing to be rescued from bad homes or abandoned on the streets, when I met my wife in Houston and every time I've gone there to spend time with her family I'm always shocked and horrified how every day or two we would see another dog abandoned on the street, often in awful condition or clearly having been used for puppy farms, my mother in law now rescues dogs who are abandoned or abused, or even goes to kill shelters to get any she can before they kill them, and then she works with a rescue group to find them suitable homes all over the usa, it isn't uncommon for her to have 2-4 rescue dogs in the house for a few weeks at a time, non stop, year round, and often more if those dogs have puppies, and she keeps them at the house until they can be taken to better homes, so ask yourself if a simple thing like fixing pets is worth not having all those animals suffering? Why you would find that weird I don't know.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
It really is strange. Has anyone else thought critically about this? Or done extensive research on the topic?

Incredibly, your the first human to have thought critically about this. Hats off to you.
Animals are fixed to prevent overpopulation, so that less of them have to be put down. So your choices are: A) catch, kill, and dispose of millions of cats and dogs or B) spay or neuter them. Which one sounds less fucked to you?

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Prior to spaying/neutering, folks would drown, shoot, or beat to death any unwanted puppies or kittens.

Does this help you understand OP?

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
Superbad take. All larger-scale concerns aside, individual health outcomes are almost universally better for pet animals that are spay/neuter (i.e., they live longer, healthier lives - they're happier, you're happier.)

I'm having trouble seeing the problem with pets being healthier for longer. Y'all need Jesus a veterinarian.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not more fucked than that...but the fact that we got to the point where it needs to be done is super weird. I'm not saying no one shouldn't spay and neuter their pets...but it is very bizarre that history and other circumstances have led society here.

How is it bizarre? Animals are useful, so people keep them around. In the absence of predators and the need to find food, animals fuck a lot and overpopulate. Cue culling or, more preferably, population control via castration.

Are you sure you thought critically about this?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's fair to say there has been a lot of research into domestication of pets/animals over the years, and the overwhelming response from experts is that yes, you should neuter pet cats/dogs. This discussion is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.