• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Random thought I had last night. Like it's really fucking strange how accepted it is to spay and neuter your pets is.

Like you get a pet to live in your house and you're expected to surgically remove it's reproductive organs so it behaves better. To make it less aggressive, not make it not run around and have a whole litter....but if you're keeping an eye on your pet responsibly, how could that happen?

I feel like (could be wrong feel free to prove me so) that originality spraying and neutering pets was done to make them "behave better", but eventually as times changed they continued to do so under new reasoning (to lower the population) to rebrand the procedure. Not too unlike how male circumcision is now justified as "keeping your penis cleaner" to continue to do it.

It really is strange. Has anyone else thought critically about this? Or done extensive research on the topic?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
But doesn't it also protects them from some deceases? Also to control animal population, less dogs need to be put to sleep this way.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dont you get it done to prevent some cancers and control the population, not behaviour shit? (Never heard of that)

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on the pet. Dogs and other small pets is debatable if you are on top of the issue.

Cats though, its a necessity. Too many times have I seen cat infestations in neighborhoods that just decimate the local bird/squirrel population and all it takes is one overzealous cat person.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Get a cat, don't spay it, then come back to this thread in a year or two and see how you get on op.

Mar 3, 2018
I think it helps them long term and prevents lot of disease from spreading and also helps with overpopulation.
I think the whole clipping ears, tail and declawing is worse but I'm willing to get educated in that aspect unless there's another reason to clip a Doberman's ears beside it looking tough.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it can feel weird to make that choice for your pet. But also, SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET. It's better for them and better for the pet population at large.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
If you think humans do weird stuff to their pets' junk you should see what we do to our kids'. At least there is a clear ethical reason to spay/neuter pets with regard to disease and overpopulation.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought I had last night. Like it's really fucking strange how accepted it is to spay and neuter your pets is.

Like you get a pet to live in your house and you're expected to surgically remove it's reproductive organs so it behaves better. To make it less aggressive, not make it not run around and have a whole litter....but if you're keeping an eye on your pet responsibly, how could that happen?

I feel like (could be wrong feel free to prove me so) that originality spraying and neutering pets was done to make them "behave better", but eventually as times changed they continued to do so under new reasoning (to lower the population) to rebrand the procedure. Not too unlike how male circumcision is now justified as "keeping your penis cleaner" to continue to do it.

It really is strange. Has anyone else thought critically about this? Or done extensive research on the topic?
feral/house cats kill small animals in the billions ever year so no it isn't fucked up to try and keep populations in check.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally everything about owning a pet is fucked up and weird when you look at it objectively. Like, owning an living creature, controlling when it eats and when it sleeps and when it shits, over generations forcibly breeding them to have whatever characteristics best serve you - or whatever you think looks best.

It's one of those things that aliens would come down and be like "what the fuck are you guys doing out here, this is why we don't answer your calls."

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If you really wanna go down that line of thinking. It's incredibly cruel to even breed animals as pets. They should be free in the wild.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely fucked up, but as others have said it is the lesser of two evils. It's a solution to a problem with no good solutions.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spaying and neutering pets is for lowering the population so that less have to be put down. It's easily the best option out of a lot of bad options.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
OP, go to Hawaii some time (when the pandemic is over) and see what an unchecked cat population looks like.

No one is thrilled about doing it, but the alternative is having lots of stray animals in the streets. Having been to other countries when it's the norm, it's pretty sad seeing lots of stray dogs in the street.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
IMO it is fucked to own a pet. Like, if you truly think about it, you literally buy this living creature and use it as some kind of support. It just wants to fuck, eat, and die.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
They're healthier, live longer and not sexually frustrated. Plus it reduces the amount of unwanted kittens and puppies in shelters and pounds that end up being put down to make space.
I used to think it was cruel too, I love my balls, but I've had two childhood dogs who needed the snip to deal with health complications and it extended their lives. Cats will also spray piss all over your house if they're not neutered so there's that.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Have you done extensive research? Because it's not purely about behaviour. Population control is important, especially for cats. If you get a female cat and don't spay it, you better not let it out the house. And there's many many health conditions that can be helped or completely avoided by it e.g. some kinds of cancer. If you lose a pet to cervical cancer, you'll have wished you had it spayed.

So it's really not fucked at all.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally everything about owning a pet is fucked up and weird when you look at it objectively. Like, owning an living creature, controlling when it eats and when it sleeps and when it shits, over generations forcibly breeding them to have whatever characteristics best serve you - or whatever you think looks best.

It's one of those things that aliens would come down and be like "what the fuck are you guys doing out here, this is why we don't answer your calls."
I don't know. Dogs influenced our evolution as we influenced theirs (to a much larger degree).

We have to control their population one way or the other. I myself have two rescues.

Cats are demon pets and the most invasive/harmful animal on the planet after humans/mosquitos.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
IMO it is fucked to own a pet. Like, if you truly think about it, you literally buy this living creature and use it as some kind of support. It just wants to fuck, eat, and die.
What.

In many cases you are providing what is ostensibly a social animal with support and a symbiotic relationship. There's a reason domestication happens and it's not just because the animal rolls over and gives in; They get nearly as much out of the relationship as humans do.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

Eh, it can be beneficial to them. Like my cat is a little murder machine and wants to be out destroying every bird, but she also wants a nice warm comfy place to spend 97% of her day sleeping, since there is a lot of mountain/foothills wildlife nearby that would wreck her if she tried to sleep in the wild. So we both win from this arrangement.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think it helps them long term and prevents lot of disease from spreading and also helps with overpopulation.
I think the whole clipping ears, tail and declawing is worse but I'm willing to get educated in that aspect unless there's another reason to clip a Doberman's ears beside it looking tough.
Improves ear health and hearing but not necessary, it was a Great Dane standard for a century. On terriers(aka mousers) the tail cropping is so you can pull them out of holes without breaking their tail and causing serious injury. Some of things are for practical reasons

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever owned a pet? Have you done any critical research or thinking into this at all? I don't want to be rude, but you come off as trying to start a shock thread when you're ignorant on the issue.

Let's consider the alternative. Someone having an inside only cat that isn't spayed. She has to go through heat symptoms her entire life. Is this merciful or preferable to you?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
1.5 million companion animals are euthanized in shelters every year. That number keeps decreasing thanks in large part to spay/neuter and TNR programs keeping them from breeding out of control.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This topic is a rollercoaster.

I try never to be cruel to my pet (she gets her daily foods, scratches, belly rubs, and like 5 walks a day), but ya gotta neuter them, unless you really intend for pups.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What.

In many cases you are providing what is ostensibly a social animal with support and a symbiotic relationship. There's a reason domestication happens and it's not just because the animal rolls over and gives in; They get nearly as much out of the relationship as humans do.
Domestication is IMO forced. It is just something humans did to benefit themselves whether it is better hunting or companionship. Animals do get benefits from it but it isn't something we should be doing just cause we want a friend.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about pets?

Did they choose to live with you? Before making them reliant on you, would they have picked to live with you?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

They also like to play and have fun at times. What if the pet chooses to live with you? In my case my cat just showed up one day starving and really skinny because of living in the street for a long time and never left.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its only a net benefit to your animals to get them fixed and it protects the ecosystem. Birds can thrive with less stray cats, less stray cats means less cats getting euthanized. Your cat or dog isn't gonna be pissed it can have babies. They just want a comfortable place to live and love.
Really???

Status
Not open for further replies.