• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand Brady or the Patriots but that was cemented a long time ago. Even with a loss it would be hard to dispute that he is the GOAT. Sure there are irrational people out there but being in 9 Super Bowls even had they lost and been 5-4 is pretty damn amazing.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nick Foles personally scored more points with his own two legs in last years superbowl than Tom Brady did this entire game.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
You can't base that off this game. I'm gonna agree with the sentiment that he's more a function of being with Belichick more than anything else.

And FYI, they made it this far this season more so off their defense and running game.

OP
OP
msdstc

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Yep he's the greatest.

And i think he would also admit that it's taken a little luck along the way.

Like being in an absolute trash division for most of his career.

Every player ever had luck along the way. He also had some bad "luck" along the way, like david tyree making one of the biggest catches of all time after never having a catch in his career, on a wobbly prayer tossed up after Eli somehow squirted out of multiple hands full of his Jersey. Also a dropped pass by Wes Welker in the 2011 season stopping an SB victory there. Shit happens both ways, Tom puts himself and his team in position year after year. Not many QBs could've stood in and fired the way he did on 3rd down over and over against the Chiefs a few weeks ago to get here. He's clutch as fuck.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
He was the GOAT after the Seattle game. The Atlanta game made him GOAT Prime. This game is just icing on the cake, didn't play like trash but left a lot of points on the field.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really gonna act like the defense holding the 10th highest scoring offense of all time wasn't why Brady won? Patriots offense scored 13 points. 13.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
He can be recognized as the best but he shouldn't be celebrated as a human being at all. Chris Benoit is widely regarded as one of the best wrestlers ever, John Lennon as one of the best songwriters, of course the Michael Jordan comparison, all people at the tops of their field who did terrible shit.

psykomyko

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate stuff like "It's over, no more debates!". It is not over, and never will be.

I don't mind people thinking Brady is the GOAT, and he deserves to be in the conversation, but to simply shove aside QB's like P. Manning, Montana, Unitas, and Marino is incredibly silly to me.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I mean this is subjective. I dont consider superbowl wins the determining factor for goat status. In terms of accomplishments sure, talent? Nope.

Marino and Rodgers are still better. Take away Belichick and the Pat's aren't the same team. I know I'm going to catch heat for this so I'll just throw in the imo.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
He can be recognized as the best but he shouldn't be celebrated as a human being at all. Chris Benoit is widely regarded as one of the best wrestlers ever, John Lennon as one of the best songwriters, of course the Michael Jordan comparison, all people at the tops of their field who did terrible shit.
Never thought I'd see Tom Brady compared to someone who murdered their wife and children but here I am on Era

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Never thought I'd see Tom Brady compared to someone who murdered their wife and children but here I am on Era
Come on now, obviously I'm not comparing the specific things they did, it's not a contest of awfulness. it's a comparison of people at the tops of their field who are regarded as terrible people.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
As a die-hard Steelers fan, it pains me to say this, but he is definitely the Goat. No one has done what he has been able to do since coming into the league. Having said that, a lot of this has to do with coaching. The coaches over in NE are miles ahead of literally every other coach in the league at finding mismatches all across the field. Of course, this super bowl isn't proving his Goatness as he was extremely lackluster for 3/4 of the game.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Its not actually that hard its a combination of both but mostly Bill Belichick is the greatest football coach ever. He has eight superbowl rings and even took the Patriots to the playoffs with Matt Cassel as QB when Brady got hurt that one year. I think at this point Belichick and the Patriots could win a superbowl with maybe 20 of the starting QB's in the NFL that is how good of a football coach he is.
They missed the playoffs that year.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I agree with the sentiment proposed itt, but today wouldn't have changed anything for the people who disagree.

The argument against Brady has never been that he isn't the winningest quarterback, since that is indisputable. The argument has always been about how much credit does he deserve for the wins. Basically if you replaced Brady in the Patriots system with any competent quarterback, how much worse do they actually get? Have the Patriots benefited from having Brady, or has Brady benefited from being at the Patriots?

In my opinion this isn't really relevant though. The concept of greatness is ambiguous. Has there ever been a quarterback more talented than Brady? Arguably. The one thing you can't argue with however is results, and Brady has the most of them.
Did you see the 07 season? They would be significantly worse with 99% of quarterbacks.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
And for twenty years this is all 31 teams can say. Its pathetic. 31 teams have the same chances as New England has had. All have failed. Tom Brady leaving will finally bring parity back in the league. No other player can say that in any sport.
Ah yes, I'm sure playing in a dogshit division every year doesn't help in making the playoffs at all. Not at all

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Jordan comparison is that had social media and exposure that exists today existed back then ppl would have had much worse opinions of Jordan.
I would have agreed before the Jimmy Butler incident, where he was a complete asshole made a scene at a Timberwolves practice and everyone praised him for it because he backed it up by winning with the 3rd stringers.

People would hear about some of the shit Jordan said to other players and be like well damn he backed it up I guess what a badass

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Brady is the best QB of this era, but that's as far as I can go. Why? Because when Montana played it was a different game. All the rules now are designed to benefit the offense/QB. Montana got fucking killed in the pocket back in the day, and played against defenses murdering his receivers over the middle and holding them on the outside. During that era, Montana went 4-0 in the Super Bowl with 11 touchdowns and ZERO interceptions. Montana's Super Bowl QBR absolutely destroys Brady's, while playing in a much less QB friendly era. If you breathe on Brady it's a free 15 yards, and his receivers get wide open looks off of pick plays all game long. They are 1A and 1B to me, and today's game where Brady was quite frankly not good didn't do anything to change that.

Ignacious

Dec 17, 2017
Nope. Forever disqualified due to cheating, sorry. Happened to Lance Armstrong. Happened to Pete Rose. NFL just don't care.

Talented QB nonetheless.

Montana, Manning and Marino are all better.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Brady is the best QB of this era, but that's as far as I can go. Why? Because when Montana played it was a different game. All the rules now are designed to benefit the offense/QB. Montana got fucking killed in the pocket back in the day, and played against defenses murdering his receivers over the middle and holding them on the outside. During that era, Montana went 4-0 in the Super Bowl with 11 touchdowns and ZERO interceptions. Montana's Super Bowl QBR absolutely destroys Brady's, while playing in a much less QB friendly era. If you breathe on Brady it's a free 15 yards, and his receivers get wide open looks off of pick plays all game long. They are 1A and 1B to me, and today's game where Brady was quite frankly not good didn't do anything to change that.
montana went one and out in the playoffs while having jerry rice with stick em on his gloves in a non salary cap era

Brady reached more than double the super bowls than montana

that tired narrative died in 2015, try again

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

What terrible thing did MJ do besides being a dick to some people? I can easily pull up stories from critics of Jordan visiting numerous kids for the Make a Wish Foundation, and breaking down and crying before a game (Jordan Rules by Sam Smith). And he certainly had the capacity for warmth.

Look at this monster touching foreheads with Johnny Red Kerr at his tribute ceremony.

021109Kerr-g14_cst_feed_20090210_22.jpg

Or here he is asking in on Craig Sager's health. What a goddamn monster.

Here's the reality. The most monstrous shit I hear in any Michael Jordan discussion are from people who say he's responsible for his father's death. It's a conspiracy theory based on zero evidence, and those people should be ashamed of themselves. If you ever lost a father, as I have, and you heard someone say that about you. Those people have no class, no morals. Certainly less than Michael Jordan.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Come on now, obviously I'm not comparing the specific things they did, it's not a contest of awfulness. it's a comparison of people at the tops of their field who are regarded as terrible people.
I've posted about this too many times and don't feel like going into it again but I don't believe Brady is a Trump supporter after it became clear of Trump's politics and terrible views, and I don't believe from what he's shown in the 3 1/2 years since that picture was taken, like his support of the LGBT community and support of players kneeling, that he shares any of the beliefs that Trump does.

And I also believe Gisele, who tweeted about an anti Trump rally the day Brady skipped the White House meeting when she says that they didn't vote for Trump. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about this and you can throw it in my dumb face but those are my thoughts.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Except I'm not a hater, I've posted multiple times today I am a Pats fan. That kind of gross reductivism to even the most benign criticism makes all of us look like idiots. The guy supports Trump, there's no two ways around that.

Your comparisons are reductive. Chris Benoit murdered his family. John Lennon knocked Cynthia Lennon's head into a pipe, screamed so loudly into Sean Lennon's ear that he punctured his son's ear drum, and refused to love his first born for committing the sin of just being born to a woman he didn't love. And Jordan...disrespected Chamillionaire.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I am 100% positive that if I approached MJ asking for an autograph, like any other fan, he would be an asshole to me. But later that day he'd be in a hospital room comforting kids who have cancer and only weeks to live. I'll take that.

https://wish.org/wishes/wish-stories/i-wish-to-meet/michael-jordan-grants-200th-wish

Michael Jordan has graciously served as our Chief Wish Ambassador since 2008. He approaches each wish child with his undivided attention and interest in learning more about them. Wish experiences with Michael Jordan are typically intimate and private events just for the wish kids and their immediate family members.

We are excited to celebrate 200 wishes granted by Michael Jordan.

(In this photo, from left to right, Jan, 17, brain tumor; Denaris, 15, nasopharyngeal carcinoma; Emery, 15, kidney transplant; Michael Jordan; Jerome, 7, spinal muscular atrophy; Michael, 8, hematologic disorder; Drew, 11, respiratory condition; and Ziah, 13, leukemia)

650x383-MJ-with-wish-kids-with-Brian-Christiansen-photo-credit.ashx

https://wish.org/wishes/wish-stories/i-wish-to-meet/michael-jordan-grants-200th-wish

Nov 16, 2017
Except literally every player, coach, or human being who have met Tom Brady never has anything negative to say about him.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Montana went three years of one and done in the playoffs with 0 tds and multiple interceptions. I'd much rather lose in the SB than brag about losing early in the playoffs and doing jack shit in those games but acting like not losing the SB is some important stat. Youre essentially praising montana for more consistently losing earlier in the playoffs than Brady. That logic makes 0 sense. Montana didn't have the salary cap. AFC NFC dynamic was vastly different then than it is today too. Montana played with the best wr of all time. Brady had moss for 2.5 years.

Brady didn't need today to prove hes the goat. But he got it anyway.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
And for twenty years this is all 31 teams can say. Its pathetic. 31 teams have the same chances as New England has had. All have failed. Tom Brady leaving will finally bring parity back in the league. No other player can say that in any sport.

I can think of one. Another Boston sports hero. Bill Russell. Dude's retirement basically ushered the NBA's decade of parity from the start of the 70's up to the Bird and Magic era of the 80's.

On-topic, Brady is already the GOAT footballer prior to SB53. This is just icing to the cake.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the NFL thread but was ignored.

Honest question coming from a casual NFL fan: why does every goddamn time Roger Goodell steps in front of a crowd he gets deafening boos? I just saw a video from the stands when Goodell stepped into the stage to give the trophy and it was incredible the whole stadium booing. I know some people have some issues but why is he this hated? In the NFL Draft also everytine he came back to the mic all you could hear were boos.

What the hell?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I posted this in the NFL thread but was ignored.

Honest question coming from a casual NFL fan: why does every goddamn time Roger Goodell steps in front of a crowd he gets deafening boos? I just saw a video from the stands when Goodell stepped into the stage to give the trophy and it was incredible the whole stadium booing. I know some people have some issues but why is he this hated? In the NFL Draft also everytine he came back to the mic all you could hear were boos.

What the hell?
Because he's a piece of shit that hides and/or ignores rampant cases of domestic abuse, a variety of concussion and other chronic injury-related disorders former NFL players suffer, drug abuse, and hand-waves huge social and organizational problems the NFL has. He hides them all behind the shield (the NFL brand) with his lawyer-like actions (he is a lawyer), answers, and inactivity. Or, he tries to hide it and people see through this smoke and lies.

His sole function as commissioner is to do the bidding of the owners and protect the NFL brand from anything that could tarnish its reputation. Even from justice and truth. So people boo as their only recourse other than turning off and tuning out.

Are you more clear now?