• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
www.vice.com

'It's Othering' – British-Japanese Artist Rina Sawayama Can’t Enter British Awards

A nationality clause in the Mercury Prize and the BRITs are stopping musicians from entering the race. It's turning the arts into a form of border control, the 'SAWAYAMA' musician says.

According to the terms and conditions for the Mercury Prize, solo artists must have British or Irish nationality to enter the competition. Part of the entry process involves sending official documentation of your citizenship – like a passport scan – to the organisers.

Dirty Hit approached the Mercury Prize to explain Rina's immigration status, but received a curt email response informing them that the rules weren't going to be changing anytime soon (an email seen by VICE confirms this)

Rina says this level of gatekeeping doesn't make any sense, especially when the Mercury has more lax rules around its nationality clause for bands, where only 30 percent of the members need to be British or Irish as long as over half of the band resides in the UK. By contrast, a non-British citizen can be eligible for the Ivors – another prestigious British music prize – if they can prove residence in the UK for the past year.

Ah yes, more shitty terms and conditions that favour caucasian nationals over Asians who have been there their whole entire life.

Stream Sawayama if you haven't. The album is hella good.

http://dirtyh.it/sawayama

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Having 'British National' as a starting point for qualification makes sense, but not having any allowances for situations like hers is very wrong. She's been here for 25 years and contributed to the British music scene, she clearly should be eligible for awards celebrating the British music scene.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Having 'British National' as a starting point for qualification makes sense, but not having any allowances for situations like hers is very wrong. She's been here for 25 years and contributed to the British music scene, she clearly should be eligible for awards celebrating the British music scene.
Its a clear oversight in the rules, she would be granted a British passport if she asked for one. Obviously she wont because then she would lose her Japanese passport. Hopefully they will fix it, as clearly she should qualify

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her album is amazing and they're gonna gloss over it because she "just" has been in the country for decades instead of being born there. I like this sort of stuff: citizen when it's time to pay taxes, dirty foreigner when it's time to get awards and money. Disgusting.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

'It's Othering' – British-Japanese Artist Rina Sawayama Can’t Enter British Awards

A nationality clause in the Mercury Prize and the BRITs are stopping musicians from entering the race. It's turning the arts into a form of border control, the 'SAWAYAMA' musician says.

Ah yes, more shitty terms and conditions that favour caucasian nationals over Asians who have been there their whole entire life.

There's been 1 white winner of the mercury prize out of the last 6 winners.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Its a clear oversight in the rules, she would be granted a British passport if she asked for one. Obviously she wont because then she would lose her Japanese passport. Hopefully they will fix it, as clearly she should qualify

Yeah, something like also having a residency qualification would be perfectly reasonable.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
That seems so wrong that someone that resides, works, and pays taxes in the UK wouldn't be eligible. Even more so considering they grew up in the UK since they were a toddler.

I hope they modify the rules to allow her and others in similar situations to be eligible,

According to Rina, this wouldn't be a problem if she was able to have dual citizenship. But Japan, the country of her birth, doesn't allow dual nationality – and though she's considered renouncing her citizenship in the past, she's reluctant to cut ties with her birthplace.
Japan is among a number of countries that forbid dual citizenship, including China, the Netherlands, Indonesia, Singapore and Nepal. Under the current Mercury Prize criteria, musicians from those countries who retained their original passport would not be considered – even if they'd lived in the countries for decades and produced all their work in the UK.
Huh.
I didn't realize Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
The hard British national stance is amusing considering they've named the prize after a Korean car manufacturer.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many Asian nominees and individuals of African-descent nominees are there, compared to the amount of caucasians. Please enlighten me.

Quickly checking Wikipedia out of the 12 nominees this year there are 4 black nominees, 1 of Gujarati descent, and looks like there is someone of Asian decent in Lanterns on the Lake.

Last edited:

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
It's an odd hill for them to choose to die on when she has been here for so long.

I guess the question is if they were to make the change then how long does someone need to have lived here for in order to qualify? 5 years which would then match the requirement to receive a permanent residency status?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quickly checking Wikipedia out of the 12 nominees this year has 4 black nominees, 1 is of Gujarati descent, and looks like there is someone of Asian decent in Lanterns on the Lake.
10300.jpg

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not a jobsworth so i would let her enter, but i don't think it's anything more than just rigid rule following.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they're able to look at it for future years. For all intents and purposes she's a citizen and it sounds like the only reason she's not is because Japan doesn't accept dual nationality.

Musically, I've always found that the Mercury Prize has a more interesting list of nominees than other big awards. Less mainstream, and a more diverse range of artists that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern trolling over a series of posts, prior ban for dismissing bigotry
  • 1 mixed group.
  • 4 white bands.
  • 1 mixed Latin-White passing male.
  • 1 white male.
  • 3 of African descent.
  • 0 Asian Representation.
  • 9 white nominees.
  • 2 of African descent.
    • 1 in a mixed group.
  • 8 white nominees.
  • 4 of African descent.
What are you trying to prove?

Well, your post said they were biased towards caucasians, yet these figures show that they are actually under represented, being 65% of the nominees, when the UK is 82% white.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I assume she has Japanese citizenship? Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship afaik, you're Japanese or another, but not both. If the awards state that you must be British to be electable, well, it sucks but it is what it is.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Huh.
I didn't realize Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship.

My Japanese teacher had to give up her Japanese citizenship when she became a UK citizen.

If I understand the situation correctly, and I may not, someone could try getting away with it by simply not informing Japan that they're renouncing their citizenship and being careful afterwards. I'm not sure whether the British authorities inform their Japanese counterparts though, and even if not there's a chance it could bite you in the ass later. It wouldn't be possible for someone in the public eye anyway.

You're more likely to get away with it if you are a dual citizen by birth and simply don't give up your non-Japanese passport when you are supposed to.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Rina's lived here longer than I have (a British citizen) and I'm a bit older than her - this whole situation is stupid.

Hopefully they're able to look at it for future years. For all intents and purposes she's a citizen and it sounds like the only reason she's not is because Japan doesn't accept dual nationality.

Musically, I've always found that the Mercury Prize has a more interesting list of nominees than other big awards. Less mainstream, and a more diverse range of artists that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

What's bizarre is as the article notes, they have a degree of flexibility when it comes to groups, but this is not the case for solo artists.

Making the criteria something more like that Ivor Novello's is the best approach - can't remember it off the top of my head but it's based more around residency and where much of your work takes place than nationality. It's a shame as, like you, I think the Mercury Prize is great as it's one of the few awards that takes commercial success, name brand recognition and genre out of the equation.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Seems like this is more Japan's fault 🤷🏿‍♂️. Maybe try to push for them to allow dual citizenship.

If you've lived here for a quarter of a century, the vast majority of your life, and have permanent residency (ILR in our case), you have as much right to be British as anyone else in my eyes.

Japan's daft nationality laws shouldn't come into it.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you've lived here for a quarter of a century, the vast majority of your life, and have permanent residency (ILR in our case), you have as much right to be British as anyone else in my eyes.

Japan's daft nationality laws shouldn't come into it.
This ^
The idea that British music is classified by you either having a British Passport or not is fucking laughable and bullshit.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Well, your post said they were biased towards caucasians, yet these figures show that they are actually under represented, being 65% of the nominees, when the UK is 82% white.

The point of comparison should be how often white people going for this award are excluded under similar circumstances.

Even comparing the makeup of all UK artists against who has been nominated for/won this award would still be missing the point of there being extra unfair scrutiny placed on people in Sawayama's position.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Yeah there should probably be a bit more flexibility, ot at least, less rigid adherence to the rule.

More spirit of the law and less letter of the law, and all that jazz.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
The rule is silly when the point of the award is contribution to British music specifically -- plenty of people who have developed their musical identities there and have been ambassadors for the British pop scene despite not being "British" on paper, and she's definitely one of them.

Wonder if the rule gets altered/fudged due to the backlash from this, she's about to be a big name on AOTY lists in a few months..

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but Skepta beat David Bowie for the prize some years ago, so the Mercury Prize can't be racist!

it's wack that Rina is subjected to this. I assume the backlash will force them to re-examine the rules to better accommodate folks like Rina, but they could always do the stupid thing and double down.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
The point of comparison should be how often white people going for this award are excluded under similar circumstances.

Even comparing the makeup of all UK artists against who has been nominated for/won this award would still be missing the point of there being extra unfair scrutiny placed on people in Sawayama's position.
But wouldn't white people (like from another European country) who have been living in the UK for 25 years using their original passport have the same problem?

I mean, sure the rule sucks, but I don't see why race plays a part in it.

Oct 29, 2017
But wouldn't white people (like from another European country) who have been living in the UK for 25 years using their original passport have the same problem?

I mean, sure the rule sucks, but I don't see why race plays a part in it.
Everyone regardless of their race would have exactly the same issue if they were not a British national, yes.

However the rule should probably be changed to allow for people who have been living in the UK for a significant period of time to qualify or at the very least for you to qualify if you could also qualify for British citizenship, which she can but has opted not to as she wants to keep her Japanese citizenship.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Japan not allowing dual citizenship is p dumb, though I have a mate with both passports so they might be pretty loosey goosey about it. I know India is super anal about it, I had to deal with quite a few unhappy people who had held onto their indian passport after getting British citizenship back when I worked for the high commission, fines up to £1000 +, always seemed a bit harsh.

Odd that their rules are so stringent of soloists compared to bands too.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan not allowing dual citizenship is p dumb, though I have a mate with both passports so they might be pretty loosey goosey about it. I know India is super anal about it, I had to deal with quite a few unhappy people who had held onto their indian passport after getting British citizenship back when I worked for the high commission, fines up to £1000 +, always seemed a bit harsh.

Lots of countries have this in theory or technically but various technicalities mean it's not enforced or even tracked. I have dual citizenship in part because my birth country doesn't have an easy process to rescind citizenship and partly through both historical and legal conventions.

one odd side effect is that my daughter who was born in the US can get citizenship in my motherland, Mypos, but she can't pass that citizenship on to her kids - her partner would have to be Myposian.

unfortunately Mypos is the northernmost state in a union of four small states and the largest and most influential- Jabrovia- recently voted to leave the regional border and economic union - Mypos is discussing full independence- but Jabrovia needsboth our economic output, natural resources and tourism as well as the appearance of unity and is using political influence and fearmongering to try and prevent Myposian independence.

the xenophobia in Jabrovia is shocking - yet most Jabrovians are good people who let populism and inertia and overconfidence in their fellow Jabrovians rule their politics - and older, racist Jabrovians vote in greater numbers. We call them "ζαμπόν" because they are fat and pink with bluster like a local cured meat delicacy of the same name.

I do wonder (should Mypos regain the freedom it hasn't known since the very early eighteenth century) if they will issue Myposian passports and allow the right of return.

our national identity is very distinct and I think we could make a go of it with an economy based on a popular beverage "παρασκευή σιδήρου" and a strong banking and legal backbone - and a well educated population with almost 14% literacy even for women!

we also - back on topic - have fantastic musicians of ALL ethnic and national backgrounds - megastars of international repute like μαρτύρι πέλο, ενε Λέννοξ and of course Sheena Easton.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This shit is absolutely blatant discrimination and needs to be changed yesterday.

Hell, Rina would sweep every award too.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Non-USA countries offer government funding for the arts, and have stringent quotas about how many nationals are involved in film/tv productions or the like... Nationality requirements for arts awards make more sense in a context where arts funding is often tied to being a citizen.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Can you get around keeping two passports by going through a third country with no visa requirements?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to three songs as a result of this thread and I like her deal. Decent catchy art pop with interesting videos.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling the Mercury Prize racist is incredibly short sighted and reactionary, however it is pretty clear that some rules do need to be changed. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for it.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid rule. It should be based on contribution to the UK music industry, not your bloody passport.