• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be getting Half-Life: Alyx

• Yes

Votes: 406 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 744 48.2%
  • Eventually

Votes: 395 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. I'm so dissatisfied with vr right now and Valve's decision to utilize this to try and get more people invested into the ecosystem is just a hard no go for me.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
No. I don't intenso to buy a VR headset in the near future. But I'm curious. Maybe this is the push VR needs.

IT is not only about lack of AAA games for me. I'm lazy. Consider this: setting the PS3 camera for the move was already too much for me (calibrating and finding the best angle in my limited space) .

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! This game's existence convinced me to acquire a new graphics card and Oculus Quest over the past couple months. So far I've been really impressed with the quest and VR in general!

I'm kind of wondering how restrictive it will be for me to play with the headset tethered by a cable. I've gotten really used to playing Rec Room paintball with the full mobility and turning my body all the way around to look around without getting mummified by a cable. Hopefully it'll work out!

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
The headsets that I want (Rift S and Index) are sold out, so I'm not playing it. Eventually, I'll get a rift S on Amazon and return it after I played alyx.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Nope. Maybe in three or four years when I feel like investing in next-gen VR (headset, new GPU, etc). Even longer if i'm in grad school...

The days where I would just throw money at gaming hardware are long gone.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
My Rift S hasn't been detecting usb for a couple weeks now, apparently I'm not the only one, so until that's fixed, no.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm desperate for a new half life experience and i trust that the game will be excellent, but i don't have vr and no plans to buy in in the near future. would be day one otherwise. i voted eventually.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the other HL:A thread...

As someone who is a recent owner of a Rift S, I'm very excited for this since it's a meaty, full-length game for VR built by the pedigree of Valve. I have the game paid for already!

But, I missed the original Half-Life train for one reason or another, and am wondering how I should approach being 'ready' to play it?

Play both main games + the two episodes? Skip HL1 since it's pretty dated at this point? Play Black Mesa instead? Or even the modded VR versions...

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I will have to go with no on this one. I don't see myself owning VR on pc anytime soon as the cost would require a pc upgrade along with the VR setup itself. There are very few games that would push me to building a new PC and the Half Life series isn't one of them.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Day one, pre ordered. Can't wait, I got a Rift S for this last year. I am a bit worried about my 1070 though. Played No Man's Sky today for the first time in VR and it seemed to be struggling. Don't want to invest $500+ in a RX series when we're so close to the next gen.

As someone who is a recent owner of a Rift S, I'm very excited for this since it's a meaty, full-length game for VR built by the pedigree of Valve. I have the game paid for already!

But, I missed the original Half-Life train for one reason or another, and am wondering how I should approach being 'ready' to play it?

Play both main games + the two episodes? Skip HL1 since it's pretty dated at this point? Play Black Mesa instead? Or even the modded VR versions...
All HL games are free to play at this moment. You can technically skip 1, but it is highly recommended to play 2 and the episodes. Play them on easy and breeze through them, maybe 20 hours max. They hold up damn well.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
not a big half life fan, I'll probably just look at a playthrough since I don't plan on buying a vr headset for pc

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You can skip 1 in favor of Black Mesa, but don't skip both. The Black Mesa game is now feature complete and is a must play for any HL fan.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Interested in seeing new VR magic from Valve after their impressive early experiments, but I'm indifferent to the IP and still not sure the medium is right for traditional AAA gaming in its current form, I still tend to avoid extended sessions. If there's GOTY hype I'll check it out at launch.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Too expensive for me. The Walking Dead game and Half Life would be great to play one day.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Love the franchise, but I'm a console player. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll port the game to next gen systems.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I envy you.

Play both games, they're free and they should run on a toaster.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Eventually. I cant really afford to buy a PC plus the headset at the moment. Hoping that it comes to PS5 and PSVR2. But I might end up with a PC by the time PSVR2 releases

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
No. I don't intenso to buy a VR headset in the near future. But I'm curious. Maybe this is the push VR needs.

IT is not only about lack of AAA games for me. I'm lazy. Consider this: setting the PS3 camera for the move was already too much for me (calibrating and finding the best angle in my limited space) .

If you pick up a WMR and there's a huge range of them from $200 to $700, it's as easy as

1) Update windows to 1909
2) Install WMR for SteamVR(on steam - free)
3) Plug in a displayport and a USB3 connector, both wires connected to the headset.
4) Profit.

There's no setting up cameras.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 970, so maybe. Depends on how scalable it is. If people have it working reasonably well on day one, I'd have to. Been with VR for too long not to stick with something as huge as this.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I have a laptop that has the specs to run it but unfortunately my Oculus Rift doesn't work with it. Gonna buy the game day 1 and try it with my friend on his Oculus Quest/Link (which I've tested and confirmed working with my laptop). Too big A Half - Life fan to not play it.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
If I had VR I'd be there on day 1. I have no idea when I can afford VR, but when I can, that's when I'll get Half-Life Alyx.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I have a laptop that has the specs to run it but unfortunately my Oculus Rift doesn't work with it. Gonna buy the game day 1 and try it with my friend on his Oculus Quest/Link (which I've tested and confirmed working with my laptop). Too big A Half - Life fan to not play it.

What is the problem with the Rift not working with your laptop? Do you have a reason why yet or you don't know? Is it the Rift S?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 970, so maybe. Depends on how scalable it is. If people have it working reasonably well on day one, I'd have to. Been with VR for too long not to stick with something as huge as this.

I can say that with an Index and a 970 VR games were pretty prone to stuttering/pausing. Talking Beat Saber and Pistol Whip specifically. Upgrading to a 2070S has completely eliminated all slowdowns.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Nah.

I was gonna pick it up. I went and got a Rift S as well but after a couple months I never bothered with it anymore and didn't want to keep it for just one game.

Sold my Rift S and got a good amount back so used the money to preorder Animal Crossing, Doom, Persona 5R (Ultimate Edition), bought myself a new Kindle + some eBooks.

March is too busy. Alyx got the cut because I rather play AC, Doom, and Persona.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You can't just assume that it was. Your friend may have had plenty of supersampling going on. The game might not be well optimized or just demanding in general. This is why you'd need to do a test where you can actually determine if it's in 120 or 144Hz mode and hitting those frames.
I confirmed with my friend that it was 120hz for Job Simulator on the Index, and it wasn't dropping frames. I was the only one in our group to have issues with it, but it was fun watching it be played.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Had to say Eventually. Half Life Alyx is making me consider upgrading my PC this holiday instead of picking up a PS5.