• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be getting Half-Life: Alyx

• Yes

Votes: 406 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 744 48.2%
  • Eventually

Votes: 395 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it's going to be amazing. I'm going to have such a fun time, playing this game. Gonna be a great experience. So excited.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Don't have a VR headset or a PC that could handle it, but I am curious to see the reactions to the game. Hope Valve can remind us just what in the heck they are capable of.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
100%. My rift s and 2080 are ready. I really need to brush up on half life story, i haven't played them since release. Anyone have a good YouTube recap? That's not super long?

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I bought the first Rift when it came out, so yes. I've been waiting awhile for something like this. If I can easily get ahold of a Quest before it comes out I might play on that for the resolution bump though.

I just hope Valve still has "it."

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely, I've been waiting for a new Half-Life game since Episode 2. That fact it's VR only adds to the excitement. This will be the biggest day in gaming for me in over a decade.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Got an Oculus Rift S yesterday, so yeah! Pretty cool so far although the novelty will probably wear off quickly. Reminds me of the Wii a bit.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, VR for the last few years is the only exciting thing in gaming for me personally, Some of my best gaming moments have been in VR, Even best co-op moments.

So Half Life/Halo was always the dream game for me to play in VR.

Looks like one of them came true, And it was built ground up for VR which is going to be insane levels of immersion. Cannot wait to get back to City 17.

Panel gaming just cannot replicate that same feeling anymore for me. RE7 in VR was night/day difference between the panel.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, PCVR is too expensive here.

Would get it if they had "regular" prices without the overhead cost, I have nothing against VR (I even own a PSVR).

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I bought a Rift S for it (well, my brother and I went halves on one, so I guess I'll have to wait and see whether I get to go first) so hell yes I'll be getting it.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Quest and a cable that works with Oculus Link. And a gaming laptop that juuuuuust barely meets requirements. I'm in!

(Planning on upgrading the laptop whenever the mobile Ampere GPUs hit, my 1060-based laptop is feeling long in the tooth)

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will probably never own a computer that's not a mid-range laptop so I'll never get to play the game unless it comes to PSVR or something.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Absolutely. I may or may not delay until I can get my hands on an Index versus my current Rift.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Stupid question, but why would Valve force VR and sell less copies? Is it to sell more of their own VR hardware?
Valve is not a hardware company. They'll likely make some profit off of the Index, but they will never get even close to recouping their R&D cost.

More likely after HTC mostly bailed out of the consumer market, they saw Facebook/Oculus taking over the PCVR market completely, and that means no VR sales on Steam anymore.
Like I'm sure there's still some people at Valve who want to push boundaries in games, but 99% this is protecting their interest in a market segment.
Which is fine, that's what exclusive games always boil down to.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, I don't have a VR headset and I don't really want one. I'm sure the game will be cool, maybe I'll borrow one if a friend has one or something. But if I'm gonna spend 300+ dollars on gaming hardware, I'll get a Switch, which will give me infinitely more hours of enjoyment than a gimmicky headset that I will use for one game.

Hopefully someone can mod it to be non-VR since I did just build a new gaming PC. I'm fine with motion controls and a normal monitor I guess, but I hate wearing a headset. It's totally disorienting, isolating, nauseating, sweaty and generally unpleasant.
VR isn't gimmicky and the fact that you're fine with motion controls and a normal monitor seems a bit strange.

I understand the nature of wearing a headset by the way, I get that it can be uncomfortable, but that in itself does not define it as gimmicky.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah. I thought I'd miss it, too, but I ended up snagging myself a great deal on a modest gaming PC and I'm back in the game! I can't wait. It'll be a few months more before I get to play it... which, as a general reminder, is -fine- because Half Life Alyx will continue to exist for years to come, so some of you are railing against your own FOMO more than anything else when you bring up the price of entry as a barrier that will forever keep you away... I expect the game will be well worth the wait.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I actually have the money to buy an index but still not sure about dropping a thousand bucks on VR right now. I really want too though.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look all that interesting to me, so no.

(I have a Rift and Touch controllers already)

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna buy an Index right now, so eventually, I hope. If I can resist spoiling it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'll be waiting for someone to remake the game in source without VR, personally.

I can't wait for more Half-life content, but being unable to use VR really makes me hope for this to happen.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
100% Yes, already pre-ordered and ready for day 1, have booked a few days off work to play.

Half Life is my favourite gaming series and HL: Alyx is my most anticipated game this year.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Day one. Can't wait to see what Valve has done in the VR space with a full fledged story-based game.

My only issue (first world problem) is that I have no room for VR in my room with the PC, so I'll probably move it to the living room. The issue being Doom Eternal comes out three days beforehand and I'm definitely going to want to play that at a desk with m+kb. I know, good problems to have.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day one. Can't wait to see what Valve has done in the VR space with a full fledged story-based game.

My only issue (first world problem) is that I have no room for VR in my room with the PC, so I'll probably move it to the living room. The issue being Doom Eternal comes out three days beforehand and I'm definitely going to want to play that at a desk with m+kb. I know, good problems to have.

If you don't mind you could as play this seating if I recall.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes absolutely.

I've had a Quest since last summer and was thrilled when the Link was announced.

I haven't had a gaming PC for 5+ years and built a gaming HTPC specifically because HL:Alyx was announced, so that I can connect my Quest to it via Link. Should be a great time!

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't mind you could as play this seating if I recall.
Yeah good call, I'm going to try that first. I do have an Index and would like to try out their implementation of room scale. I moved the PC into the other room a few days when Boneworks released and it works great with my available space. A shame Boneworks made me super sick though.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I would buy a VR kit if I had a smaller backlog of 2D games. But as it stands I will wait until it's cheaper and the technology is better.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't justify buying a VR headset at the moment, so no. I do want to get one down the line tho.