• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be getting Half-Life: Alyx

• Yes

Votes: 406 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 744 48.2%
  • Eventually

Votes: 395 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
it's one month to Half-Life Alyx... and I don't think I will be able to play it considering I don't have a VR headset. I would love to carry on but considering in the the UK that a VR headset costs the same as buying both a PS4 and XB1.

I'll probably play yhr game when VR is cheaper.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to, I'm a huge half life fan. But I recently immigrated to the US and can't afford a headset or PC right now.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.. assuming I can get the Index controllers before then. Otherwise I'll play it shortly after release.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never gonna buy a vr headset for just one game. don't really have much interest in vr games outside of half life alyx.

Kadab

Oct 25, 2017
No. Jumping in is going to cost a lot of money! Have no VR and VR capabele GPU.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I own a PSVR and considering how little I use it I'm not eager to buy a second more expensive headset.
For now I will probably just watch a YT playthrough.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I might be able to get access to a PC-VR headset in time, but I'm tempted to see how the inevitable "Half-life 2ified" mod turns out.

I'll also be less tempted to properly jump in if the oldschool Half-life fanbase hates it. I'm looking for a satisfying narrative continuation first and foremost.

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe some day, but honestly, I'm actually not that excited for it. VR seemed extremely interesting to me at first, but my interest has waned in both it and video games more generally, so extremely enthusiast gaming (which is what virtual reality gaming is) is not particularly appealing to me at this point in time.

Not only that, but I've come to see Half-Life, and Valve's usage of it far more cynically and Half-Life 2 is one of my absolute favorite video games.

Half-Life is essentially Valve's trojan horse software intellectual property, I'm serious. HL2 was a trojan horse to get people to install the Steam client and now HL:A is a trojan horse to inflate the virtual reality marketplace. Most people look at this as a good thing and maybe it is, but it feels incredibly cynical to me, even off-putting honestly. And that makes me really sad actually.

I'll probably get hatred for this opinion, but I don't mind. I may play this game some day down the line, but for being the successor to Half-Life 2 and its episodes, I'm feeling virtually zero excitement honestly. And I was there for HL2 in 2004 with intense excitement and it remains one of my top video games ever to this day.

EDIT: I voted "No" rather than "Eventually". If there was a "Maybe someday" option, I'd probably choose it. Between "No" and "Eventually", I lean more towards no at this point in time. :/

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
My most wanted game. I hope everything runs flawlessly. But I trust Valve in publishing a polished product. It's their new flagship game to sell more headsets so this has to be cutting edge.
Stupid question, but why would Valve force VR and sell less copies? Is it to sell more of their own VR hardware?
Probably yes. Or they just want to set new milestones like with Half-Life 1+2. And that's far easier in VR than with a normal FPS game.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I actually hate VR for games (I like it much more for theme park kind of one off experiences..and beat saber) but this somehow feels like you have to be there, so I'm definitely in.
Secretly mostly buying it for Source 2, but still really interested in what Valve cooked up too. The Lab is still one of the best VR things three years in.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
im locked in the PSVR ecosystem...

i have a capable PC or would consider a quest, but not only do i have the initial high headset cost, i would want to rebuy like 10-15 of my favorite VR games because i love them on PSVR and like to revisit them.

just going to wait on PSVR dos and hope for some PC compatible hax.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely.

I paid the full price of an Oculus Quest and several peripherals for the opportunity to do so.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in paying a thousand bucks for a headset just to play it. So no, I won't be jumping in.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is VR only and the only AAA game on VR so no. I am not spending hundreds and re arranging my entire PC room to play 1 game.

Ill watch a story summary on youtube.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't have a VR headset and I don't really want one. I'm sure the game will be cool, maybe I'll borrow one if a friend has one or something. But if I'm gonna spend 300+ dollars on gaming hardware, I'll get a Switch, which will give me infinitely more hours of enjoyment than a gimmicky headset that I will use for one game.

Hopefully someone can mod it to be non-VR since I did just build a new gaming PC. I'm fine with motion controls and a normal monitor I guess, but I hate wearing a headset. It's totally disorienting, isolating, nauseating, sweaty and generally unpleasant.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an Index as soon as Half-Life: Alyx was announced. So yes.

(of course, I had to return my first one due to severe incompatibility issues that were only resolved when I replaced my motherboard a few months later)

Mid-March is going to be insane. HL:A, Animal Crossing, Doom

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I would play it is if someone let me borrow their VR but that's not gonna happen so, no, I'm never gonna play it.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely hyped, day zero over here.

Also , just received my confirmation for advanced RMA for left knuckle controller. They no longer need to receive yours first before shipping new.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Eventually, whenever I pick up a VR headset, but I don't see that happening for at least a few more years

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I liked Half Life well enough, but certainly not enough to drop a chunk on hardware for an interquel when maybe the only other VR thing I would have any amount of interest in at the moment is Beat Saber.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
why would you vote no?

eventually can last forever. costs will go down. technology will improve. VR will be real life one day i think.

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Sorry, it's Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing New Horizons season.

I have plenty to play by the time Alyx shows up, and I'd have to get a VR headset to play that, too. Maybe later. Probably not as by the time where a VR headset becomes something I might want, Alyx will be old news.