• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
D_UuLPjU0AEWuw-.png:large

To me, it was finding out how everything was connected, finding out about the Gate of Finis, Lyblac, Graham, Galdera and listening for the first time to this amazing song

H'aanit is the best character.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
To me it was ending up liking Alfyn the most despite me thinking I wouldn't and picking him last

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it was the combat system. Never having a single dull encounter through an 80+ hour experience was so impressive and it remains to be one of the most elegant JRPG combat systems I've ever played.

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
A great game, easily one of my favorites last year. In a way, my fondest memory is simply running around the world completing quests with the amazing soundtrack and battle system. There's something cozy about this game that really brightened my days, it felt like the perfect comfort food RPG at the time.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
To me it was breaking the game by combing certain classes and making a total overpowered party. I love it when RPGs let you do that. :)

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
The game's flaws have grown a bit over time for me, but it's still one of my favorite games from last year and I say that as someone who was very skeptical of it going in.

For me ultimately what sticks with me is the small scale of the stories, and how surprisingly effective it was fitting them into a JRPG "mold" (even if that lead to repetition.) Tressa and Alfyn in particular stood out to me for just being two stories of people finding themselves, and not in the JRPG way of "and discovering they were a secret royal all along with an incredible destiny" or anything like that. Tressa's final boss would be a lackey or one-off boss in any other JRPG, but for the scale of Tressa's story she fit perfectly, and when coupled with the final boss theme and the bump in challenge became a memorable encounter despite the relatively low stakes.

Can't wait for the sequel in a year or two.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Something probably not mentioned very often but I loved HD rumble in this game. It made breaking an enemies shield so much more damn satisfying.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a memory per se, but I finally got around to starting this game after buying it last year and I'm loving it. I can't say I'm invested in the story, but the world, music, and art style more than make up for it. The gameplay has been a treat too, with some of the most fun turn-based boss fights I can remember for quite some time. I can't wait to play more, and with a little adjustments, I'd be day one for a sequel.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a good story because I don't remember the exact sequence anymore, but I managed to beat a boss on my literal last available hit with my last party member. I let out an audible yell when it happened. The character was at like 10 hp.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
The extra boss that tied everything together was a very cool touch, especially when you gathered a bit of the clues here and there of some sort of inter-connectivity throughout. The music will definitely go down as one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Just impeccable. And then the battle system. I never got tired of the battle system through my 90+ hours in the game. The cycle of breaking enemies then boosting was just so satisfying, and having a skill set across all classes in which nearly every single move is useful is incredibly welcome compared to other turn based jRPGs. I only hope that they reuse most of it again.

Hyper

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to like the game but all the areas felt the same. The whole game was like something made with an RPG maker. The music was good and it looked nice.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
A fond memory: That post game party chat where the women in the party talk about the type of guys they like, and H'annit is all "I only want a man who is stronger than me" and then the rest of the women are like "...but no man is stronger than you" and then when it's Ophelia's turn, she rattles off a long list of qualifications, some of which are a contradictory, and the other women are like "I don't think you're gonna find a man who is all those things" and anyway my point is that H'annit and Ophelia are lesbians and in love with each other.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Fondest memory was going into the settings and turning off the voices.

Great game carried by a fantastic battle system. Bought it to play on the plane when we went to Aruba. Had me super hooked the whole time and continued playing like a fiend after we got back home.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The puzzle like nature of the combat system and the music are the two standouts for me.

Also, Olbric's and Ophilia's stories, while simple, were both very good.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Another cool moment: Defeating the Runelord in a hard fought, down to the wire battle. The other three were much less cool and memorable because of the cheese strats. Which, like, maybe Runelord was vulnerable to cheese strats too and I just wasn't aware of them.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Realizing that everything was connected whatsoever before the true final boss.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Something really small that stuck out to me was Ophilia's last chapter. The typical pattern for a story chapter was the character enters a town, starts the story, uses their path action for something, enters dungeon, fights boss. Ophilia's final chapter has her start the story and she doesn't do her path action and instead she goes through the dungeon and boss fight. Instead Ophilia's path action is used in her epilogue, where her sister is depressed and Ophilia will use her path action to guide her to their old special memory place which was established in the first chapter. It's just a really nice, small moment of integrating the gameplay and story that made it more memorable and effective.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
For me it was recent.

Getting my first JPx100
WP93ubg.jpg

And 5 minutes later, getting my first EXPx10
W001OJW.jpg

I'm pretty sure I used all of my Octopath Traveler luck up.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
The music, especially the battle themes. Also Olberic; as basic as he was, I liked his character and his mini arc of redemption.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The moment I heard Zaanta's voice actor in his letter to H'aanit, I knew there were going to be some special moments. I really enjoyed Primrose's arc especially the early stuff. Music was great & of course just an overall fun battle system with a lot of customizability to your characters depending on which classes you paired up for them.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just the whole journey was so rewarding. Themes, combat, music, characters, story, all top notch. Looking forward to what the team does next.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not gonna read the thread since i haven't finished the game, but i guess this is a good place to post this, two octopath albums are coming to music streaming services.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game was carried by the battle system and the awesome OST. Let's not talk about the story and the bullshit gauntlet for the true ending. Still a great first entry to this new series (even though it's an evolution of Bravely Default which I like more).

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru
Olberic path had no business being as good as it was, the moment when the challenge prope appeared in chapter 3 was one of my hypest moments last year.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Loved how it looked, loved the music and the battle system. Had a very very good time with this game. One of my favorites so far of this generation.

However, after I had beaten 7 out of 8 finalbosses my Switch crashed when I removed the cartridge without closing the game. Erasing all my chapter 4 progression on all characters. Everything prior to that was still there but all the chapter 4 progress was gone.

I havnt returned since, so I didnt beat all 8 :( I should return.. and as of late I have felt the urge to do so.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn, that was a year ago? Feels like it's been ages.
I quite loved the first 40 or so hours of the game. Towards the end I was really wanting a much larger pay off than what we got and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The music will be the only thing i truly remember from this game!

Sure the gameplay was amazing, but everything surrounding it was just not interesting, the story, the characters, the level design, the progression, nothing felt nice...

I wouldn't have finished the game if it wasn't just for the need to hear the final boss theme, lol

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a game with flaws, but great nonetheless. Considering they took feedback seriously after their demo release, i really hope they take feedback from the flaws of the first game to make the already announced sequel a huge improvement.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a magical game for me. I have nothing but fond memories from it, but my favorite has to have been when I beat the true final boss. It was my second or third attempt IIRC and I was at least half an hour into it. I popped off

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What a fun experience. Each story for me had something I actually enjoyed a bit, but I think Tressa, Olberic, Primrose and Cyrus had my favorite stories.

OST is a true classic as well. The battle themes rival the Xenoblade series imo.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I think the OST will be the game's longest lasting impact, as well as its really fun battle system. Therion's theme, though:

Also:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
An amazing game for sure! My favourite part was the combat system, it's just so interesting, and the game was difficult to where you did actually need to engage your best tactics at least at some points in the game.

My favourite thing about the game story-wise has to be the way the eight stories converge onto a central background narrative, one that is built up towards. It was a shame that there wasn't more exposition about that central story, but I really felt like I was earning the narrative there, piecing it together and finally getting to understand how everything tied together. That made me love the little stories a lot, as well.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid secret boss. You have to beat 8 mini bosses and the final boss in one go, Megaman style. No save in between.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
this is my favourite memory:

Tressa was my favorite character, I think.

I also really liked Olberic.

Goddamn what a good game.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game so much. The battle system was superb. In particular I remember sweating hard at the two stages of Primrose's final fight. And the final fight of the game was nuts. The time I won I was knocked down to single digit hp with one character at least twice.

Olberic's storyline was great. Maybe my favorite overall, and unexpected. Tressa was such a fun character. Always loved her chapters, too. Overall I loved the variety of characters and stories.

The OST was godlike and the art style had me saying wow more than God of War which I played near the same time.

One of my favorite JRPGs of all time

Jan 2, 2018
My fight against the Bosses of the Secret Job Shrines were spectacular. I think I took down the Warbringer after two hours of failure. I loved it, the challange! The need to adjust the strategy and get the timing just right was exhausting, rewarding and the best fight I had in a turn-based combat system ever!

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's a really great game, but the music has a special place in my heart above all else (battle system is also outstanding to be fair). Really looking forward to whatever that team does next.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My fight against the Bosses of the Secret Job Shrines were spectacular. I think I took down the Warbringer after two hours of failure. I loved it, the challange! The need to adjust the strategy and get the timing just right was exhausting, rewarding and the best fight I had in a turn-based combat system ever!
Yeah, those superbosses were so awesome! Some of my favourite fights in any game ever, I really loved them. Made the combat system shine and made clear the depth that the combat system has.

It's a really great game, but the music has a special place in my heart above all else (battle system is also outstanding to be fair). Really looking forward to whatever that team does next.
They are already working on a sequel!