• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I believe people are misreading these tweets.

The first tweet says Pence spoke more than Kamala (by 3 seconds).

The second tweet says the EXACT OPPOSITE - that Kamala spoke more than Pence (by 3 whole minutes).

Evidently CBS is reporting 3 min more for Pence (could not find source for this), but... It's kind of clear what type of person is gravitating to each analysis.

I'd love to see the debate with a timer over it, but like...

This is the nature of political discourse in this country. We already knew this, but man is it sad.

Last edited:

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, this really shocked me. It felt like Pence spoke for an eternity longer than Harris. Maybe it's just because everything he says or does is just so excruciatingly boring.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I'd need to see splits by half. Harris learned to not stop to make sure her point was made. So I think she made up the gap.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this really shocked me. It felt like Pence spoke for an eternity longer than Harris. Maybe it's just because everything he says or does is just so excruciatingly boring.

They also lacked substance, he was just blathering to kill time where Kamala was more likely to actually follow the moderators directives and questions. Pence also had this penchant of just going way past his time where Kamala would dip her toe when she had a salient point to make. It came off as Pence just sucking the air from the room.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I think Pence interrupted more, but Kamala fought for her time and clawed back as much as Pence took. It feels he did because he was the one starting the filibuster

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the two estimations aren't wildly different though

3 seconds vs 3 minutes though.

And since a big talking point is Pence's interrupting, the 3 minute difference is taken to mean that Pence either made his point in fewer words OR that the people saying the debate was unfair in Pence's favor are crazy.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
This is... This is not the war to be fighting?

Anyone that cares/worries that Pence got more minutes is already on your side.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is... This is not the war to be fighting?

Anyone that cares/worries that Pence got more minutes is already on your side.

Respectfully, I don't know if people are misreading these tweets.

The second tweet says that Kamala spoke three *minutes* MORE than Pence.

The first tweet reverses that, saying Pence spoke three *seconds* MORE than Kamala.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Respectfully, I don't know if people are misreading these tweets.

The second tweet says that Kamala spoke three *minutes* MORE than Pence.

The first tweet reverses that, saying Pence spoke three *seconds* MORE than Kamala.

Respectfully, does it matter? Anyone on the other side that thinks Pence spoke more & "won" isn't going to change because he didn't...

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
MSNBC was saying Harris had three and a half minutes more speaking time earlier.

I guess if we're splitting hairs like this, we're back to pre-2015 politics. Thank god. That debate will be forgotten like all VP debates should be and that's the first sign of a return to normalcy in forever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respectfully, does it matter? Anyone on the other side that thinks Pence spoke more & "won" isn't going to change because he didn't...

Spoke less, spoke less!! You're misreading. :/

The point was that we can't even perceive something as simple as time the same way.

People on the right are quoting the second tweet (including Trump Jr.) to claim that people who are talking about sexism are crazy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is irrelevant. Nobody is changing their vote on this.

Well, if we're being blunt - no one is changing their vote based on the VP Debate at all.

My point wasn't "wow, here's some crazy vote changing thing." My point was "wow, we can't even agree on some of the most basic things as a country, including the passage of time."

I would have figured this was an obvious slam dunk for most people. Trump fans would just talk about how Pence had control, or obfuscate in some way. But it turns out that we literally don't have a straight answer on *time*.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Who gives a shit who spoke more? It's the content of what they said that matters.

Trump basically spoke 99% of the time in the presidential debate, does that mean he won then by these standards?

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I think what the op meant is not that this is a deciding factor in the election in any way, just that there are huge differences on something as elemental and measurable as time spent talking.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Spoke less, spoke less!! You're misreading. :/

The point was that we can't even perceive something as simple as time the same way.

People on the right are quoting the second tweet (including Trump Jr.) to claim that people who are talking about sexism are crazy.

The sexist part isn't the speaking times but a woman can't interrupt because it's looked at differently than a man. So the actual time doesn't matter as much as the interaction. And we all saw the interaction was clear as day. Even if no one had heard of Pence and his history with women, I would say something similar.

As far as the chuds, I'm not sure that this is some line of demarcation considering everything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what the op meant is not that this is a deciding factor in the election in any way, just that there are huge differences on something as elemental and measurable as time spent talking.

Yes; thank you!

The sexist part isn't the speaking times but a woman can't interrupt because it's looked at differently than a man. So the actual time doesn't matter as much as the interaction. And we all saw the interaction was clear as day. Even if no one had heard of Pence and his history with women, I would say something similar.

As far as the chuds, I'm not sure that this is some line of demarcation considering everything.

True. It's more that they're saying "Pence was interrupting to take back his speaking time. See how much less time he had?"

Simple stuff like that is just... warped :/

And yeah, everyone has already picked their sides, etc