• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Again, i don't know what ethnicity, gender one is or religion anyone prescribes to so if you want to paint me as someone who is trying to minimize the concern of minorities, well, i'm confident we both know what you're doing and why. But hey, you do you.

Edited for clarification

Lol what a clown.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Daydreaming.

559osr.png

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would Musk his version of 'free speech' work with the regulations in the EU? I've read some stuff about it but I'm not sure about the implications of this.
That's the €64million question. Certainly, it's possible that he can do enough damage that Twitter ducks under the Digital Markets Act's gatekeeper threshold when that kicks in (I suspect that's going to be interesting for a lot of companies beyond the usual suspects, but that's a discussion for another thread), but there's a bunch of existing laws that Twitter has to comply that Elon might be stupid enough to roll back. Honestly, I don't know, and I don't think anyone really knows, Musk included.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Really hoping those EU regulations will mitigate some of the potential damage.

In my EU country there is a law banning "aggravating speech against an ethnic group". Or was it "demographic"? Not sure if that's the correct translation but you get the idea. People (on far-right in particular) get into trouble because of it quite often, convicted even.

Laws for dealing with "hate speech" and other kinds of troubling speech like harassment do exist here and have precedent, just a matter of enforcing them properly.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I checked in on my Tumblr feed.

Anybody thinking about coming back better hurry up. All the artist communities I follow are shutting the gates and getting the spears out. 🤣

Took us years to fix Tumblr. Y'all not bringing that shit here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Other than a few high profile bans after years of avoiding it I don't really think twitter moderates all that much? Am I blind to what he's even complaining about here? People get away with a lot of shitty things on there.

I know right wing people that complain that their ideas will get dog pilled on the site because the user base is left leaning, but they aren't getting banned or their tweets removed, just dunked on. I know people who are right wing that think that will change and improve for them? How will that change with "less moderation". Unless the userbase drastically changes? But this isn't the "old site" it's Twitter and popular culture is left leaning so I'm not sure how drastic the changes will be.

Maybe I'm naïve to the amount of misinformation that twitter removes, I've tried reporting plenty of stuff and rarely does anything come of it.

Twitter is exceptionally good at moderating trans people whenever they fight back against transphobes, at least form my experience. I don't expect that to change under Musk; just get worse.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
What a fucking loss.

Academic Twitter was awesome, a safe space for educated individuals to promote ideas, discussion and cohesive comraderie in science, arts and academia.

Minority Twitter was also substantial and powerful in its voices, and a lot of news and awareness of violence against minorities started and spread because of MT's swift, vocal presence. Plus a lot of pointed humor and culture start and spread because of Twitter.

That's not necessarily going away but with an insane person like Musk at the helm, the safety of these spaces is threatened at the very least.

I can see it now. Death threats against minorities and scientists for speaking out on Twitter will be totally cool "free speech," just like inciting insurrections!

Or one billionaire asshole runs the platform in much the same way that a collection of billionaire assholes ran it and nothing much changes.

I get that people hate Musk because he's an extremely high-profile asshole billionaire, but it's not like he's usurping some fine upstanding philanthropists who charitably ran Twitter for the good of humanity.

Oct 27, 2017
Other than a few high profile bans after years of avoiding it I don't really think twitter moderates all that much? Am I blind to what he's even complaining about here? People get away with a lot of shitty things on there.

I know right wing people that complain that their ideas will get dog pilled on the site because the user base is left leaning, but they aren't getting banned or their tweets removed, just dunked on. I know people who are right wing that think that will change and improve for them? How will that change with "less moderation". Unless the userbase drastically changes? But this isn't the "old site" it's Twitter and popular culture is left leaning so I'm not sure how drastic the changes will be.

Maybe I'm naïve to the amount of misinformation that twitter removes, I've tried reporting plenty of stuff and rarely does anything come of it.

Right wing family members of mine have pointed to Twitters handling of the Hunter Biden story leading up to the 2020 election.

I got exhausted even trying…

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
so i guess this means extremely dumb investors will pump money into it while the actual website falls apart and the app causes phones to catch fire.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Ignored this entire story from the beginning because I knew this would be the ultimate outcome

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I dont see him making the website an even bigger hellhole than it already is even if he tried
Then you haven't been paying attention. Twitter has always been shit, but it at least had some moderation on what could and couldn't be said. Musk plans to remove those few restrictions.

We will see an across the board increase in hatred, bigotry, and political misinformation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Or one billionaire asshole runs the platform in much the same way that a collection of billionaire assholes ran it and nothing much changes.

I get that people hate Musk because he's an extremely high-profile asshole billionaire, but it's not like he's usurping some fine upstanding philanthropists who charitably ran Twitter for the good of humanity.

You don't spend $45 billion buying a social media platform to run it the exact same way the previous leadership did, especially when that previous leadership wasn't making much money.

He's going to change things, and he's such a stupid fuck that he will inevitably make it far, far worse.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
"but billionaires don't have actual money just stocks"...

Such a waste of money and wealth.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
People are laughing but it's crazy how irrelevant trump has become since he got banned from twitter. I don't read or see anything about him unless I actively seek it.

Edit: and I haven't. I think I've watched or heard trump a total of 1 minute since Biden became president and he got banned From twitter

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised there isn't an alternative made with the explicit mission of zero tolerance for racist, homophobic, conspiracy theorist nutjob content, etc. Unapologetic de-platforming of rightwing nonsense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
authentication all humans is just gonna lead to doxing and likely never to practically succeed

Yup. Farewell incognito accounts for members of marginalized communities. Shit is going to be broken wide open in a second and a ton of people are going to suffer just because this scum-fucking bottom-dweller had his feelings hurt from being told he's not right all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.