• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
It's not? Why does he actually want it then?

Musk is an egomaniac and a businessman. He isn't spending $40 billion because of pettiness or a few detractors. He sees an opportunity to monetize this platform and control/influence society.

If you think ANYONE is going to spend $40 billion just to let Trump back on and block a few people than I dont know what to say.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't people say that this would never happen when first announced? That it was just a joke?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Welp Twitter execs must have been delighted a bored billionaire finally fucking bought out that cesspool of a place.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Will be testing the limits of 'free speech' by using my account to continuously boost stories about Tesla fuckups.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
1) The cult of personality around Musk among even a large segment of the group of folks who are talking about eating the rich any other day of the week will never not be strange to me.

2) Funny enough, I've been browsing Tumblr more lately than I have in years.

3) "Authenticate all humans" sounds strangely foreboding.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really think, as much as some of their laws suck the EU is going to be the only thing that can save democracy from these libertarian ghouls

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, people are more intent on forcing Discord into that mold while having Reddit on the side anyway.

My biggest issue with Discord is that I don't know how to find communities for it, and it feels like it's more an evolution on something like AIM/Yahoo messenger than traditional forums. I think forums are MUCH better for longer discussions.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I have no love lost for Musk but it's not like the people that were running Twitter prior to this acquisition weren't also absolute ghouls.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," said Mr. Musk. "I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

He forget to mention bringing back Trump.
James Bond villain kinda speech

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Note- leaving the site won't actually harm Elon Musk, it instead harms the smaller accounts/people that use Twitter as their primary form of communication/built their entire audience on the platform

Definitely make alternates on other social media platforms, but don't be quick to deactivate/delete, there are better ways to protest this.
There are zero better ways to protest this.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I hate this and Elon Musk I really don't think he will suddenly unban all the garbage people on twitter.

If Trump is suddenly unbanned I will print his first comeback tweet and I will eat it live on twitch.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Elon Buys Twitter
2. Elon unbans Trump and all the other Chuds
3. TRUMP rides Twitter and the wave of Biden unpopularity back into office
4. America and the entire world has to reckon with an openly fascist regime.

I want off this ride.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, isn't twitter under $54.20? Does this only retroactively apply or can every just dump thousands and make 2.73 per share off their investment (5%) (current prices)? I don't know how long this will take to close but... interesting.
I think so - I think that's true for all buyouts irrespective of the purchaser (company or personal).
The stock has already been halted meaning nobody can do anything with it now.

Helel

Oct 27, 2017
So, I don't really know anything about any of this, but why is everyone treating this like a doomsday scenario? Is Elon Musk that bad?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with Discord is that I don't know how to find communities for it, and it feels like it's more an evolution on something like AIM/Yahoo messenger than traditional forums. I think forums are MUCH better for longer discussions.
This is my biggest grip with Discord too.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single Twitter board member is responsible for anyone who dies as a result of this.
eh, they were backed into a corner. the law favors these take overs. they really can't say no without saying no and getting sued and this deal going through.

the fault lies with our laws and courts who allow people to admass this much wealth and buy and own these things.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
What are you expecting to happen

The same shit thats already been happening? You better support blaming every investor/board member
Of every company that sold out that leads to anything detrimental to society. I suppose the board members of IG should be blamed for any deaths because they sold to FB? I suppose the original owners of Youtube should be blamed for terrorism and hate after selling to Google?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
They already allow this to happen. What you're describing isn't anything new.

Twitter's moderation is famously trash-tier, why are we even pretending they do the bare minimum?
To be honest, I don't agree. The current moderation team does do the bare minimum. It's not great, but it's not nothing, and there have been a handful of critical cases--and one in particular--where what they did was extremely important despite being very late in coming.

The concern is that the "bare minimum" moderation will turn into none at all, actively counteract certain groups--Elon is no fan of the trans community, for example--or become just totally capricious. All of which are worse outcomes.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So is he gonna close down Twitter's HQs in San Francisco Cali, and move it to Texas??? 😏

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Took a screenshot of my total number of accounts I follow and will see if that changes at all in the coming weeks.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus stop. Some of you really need to get a grip.
How about don't tell minorities what to feel with a fascist taking over Twitter?

Musk is an egomaniac and a businessman. He isn't spending $40 billion because of pettiness or a few detractors. He sees an opportunity to monetize this platform and control/influence society.

If you think ANYONE is going to spend $40 billion just to let Trump back on and block a few people than I dont know what to say.
Have you SEEN what he does? He literally has tantrums over people dunking on him.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I had a tiny stake in twitter from a while ago, never actually owned any stock in anything that was taken private, so how's this work? I know it gets converted to cash at some point but what's the timeline for that?

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
How would Musk his version of 'free speech' work with the regulations in the EU? I've read some stuff about it but I'm not sure about the implications of this.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
All the fascist harassment this scumbag is going to enable by killing moderation will have consequences. People will die.

And it's Twitter's board's fault for enabling it.
The board didn't have a choice. They are obligated by law to try to maximize shareholders' return on investment.

It's hard to argue that an all-cash offer a fair bit over current market value isn't in the best interests of shareholders, especially when Twitter stock was widely seen as a deadweight stock.

It sucks, but that's shareholder capitalism for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.