• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
I feel like a lot of the opposition to this acquisition was treating MGM like it's still the 1940s and one of the biggest players in Hollywood. But in reality it's a bit player, and has been for decades. It's a huge stretch to call this anti-competitive. If MGM becomes Amazon's go-to film production arm, it would be the biggest opportunity it has had in a very long time.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Nobody but Roland Emmerich thinks there's any future for the original movie.

Brad Wright, the showrunner for the previous series has been pretty explicit in interviews that his ideal goal would be another 4th series that follows up on the three existing ones in some manner, and certainly not a reboot.

I think they'll probably try and bank hard on some kind of SG1 sequel that kind of ignores Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) if they can get enough of RDA, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks back, and just quietly try and ignore the massive unresolved cliffhangers they left SGA and SGU on in any series, in the same way they did that for Atlantis with Universe.

They could always go back and try to deal with them if the parent show was successful. Start with "The Force Awakens" and then go back and finish "The Clone Wars," if you will.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I feel like a lot of the opposition to this acquisition was treating MGM like it's still the 1940s and one of the biggest players in Hollywood. But in reality it's a bit player, and has been for decades. It's a huge stretch to call this anti-competitive. If MGM becomes Amazon's go-to film production arm, it would be the biggest opportunity it has had in a very long time.
Bingo - its the best thing that could have happen to MGM since that brand has been treading water for 70 years, but for Amazon it barely moves a needle.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
The thought of having to use the Prime Video interface more is sickening. I can't believe Amazon hasn't fixed that yet.