• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Agreed Game Pass is incredible value. The Ultimate conversion deal they have going at the moment is just insane value, you almost have to be crazy not to take advantage of it.

Jan 10, 2018
Is Game Pass a low quality service, available on multiple devices, hiding content behind a paywall, slowly phasing out ownership and conservation?

I guess one could argue that this is the endgoal.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Value for the GamePass is insane in my country. I can subscribe to it for 6+ months with the price of a single recently released game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
MS is killing it. They positioned themselves very well for the future. Like Netflix, it may not be very lucrative now, but 5-10 years from now it will be an awesome position to be in.
Not if everyone pulls their games from your service to publish them on their own. This is Honeymoon phase with prices as low as 1€. Sure, it's awesome now but no one knows how it will look like in 5 to 10 years. Netflix is already losing all the Disney stuff at the moment and still increases their prices regularly.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is literally what got me to switch over to Xbox as my primary system a few months ago, which is pretty crazy considering how long I've been using PS4 as my primary console. If Xcloud works as well as advertised that + Gamepass is going to be pretty crazy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Game Pass is included in the overall Xbox division revenue. Which is about half of the Playstation Divisions revenue.
And PlayStation division revenue is included in the overall Sony revenue, which is.. you get my point.

It's only the Game Pass and PS Now subscriber numbers that are actually relevant to what the OP is asserting. We're talking about the Netflix style subscription services here. Microsoft can still be a leader in this market even if they're falling behind in other areas. The direct competition to Game Pass is currently PS Now and EA/Origin Access. The fact that the PlayStation division has higher revenue than Xbox or that Microsoft has higher revenue than Sony doesn't tell us the market position of Game Pass compared to its competitors. Even hardware sales are irrelevant, all three services can be used on PC.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the financials for publishers and developers, especially the sustainability of it if people stop wanting to buy games otherwise.

A lot of subscription/streaming services provide far less upside potential to creators than the alternatives.

Once you are out of the launch window there is really no more revenue other than DLC. Third party games that go on have been out for long enough to be out of launch window. This for a third party this is a new source of revenue and opens up more possibilities of DLC sales.

They would rather take something than nothing.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I am really impressed and in general I've never really been that impressed with Microsoft (although 360 era around when Vesperia and Eternal Sonata were announced made me get a 360). I think Sony is now officially behind the curve. MS have been pretty non existent for the past few years but they have really built their infrastructure up.

I feel like even if Sony had nothing big to announce, it was a mistake to cede all the attention to MS. A lot of the games they showed are actually PS4 games too.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
What is this Brad Sam's source? And again saying they "considered" something literally means nothing. You also can't just buy a company that doesn't want to be bought. That's not how anything works.

If Microsoft had a good offer that EA Shareholders couldn't resist then they would take it. Brad Sams is a highly credible person regarding the insides of Xbox and Microsoft overall.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
With a gamepass you don't need to buy new games? Are they streamed? like the google stadia?

You don't "need" to buy new games, whether you have Game Pass or not. As of right now, games are downloaded and played locally. Looking forward there will probably be the option to stream them as well ala Stadia.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yep I've been very frustrated with how piecemeal Play Anywhere was, but Game Pass for PC seems amazing. If they can offer up quality indies every month with the occasional AAA game I will be very happy.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Not if everyone pulls their games from your service to publish them on their own. This is Honeymoon phase with prices as low as 1€. Sure, it's awesome now but no one knows how it will look like in 5 to 10 years. Netflix is already losing all the Disney stuff at the moment and still increases their prices regularly.

That's fine unless you are the sort of person who must have access to every service all the time. Once the service stops being worthwhile to you then you stop using it and only do the monthly thing when there is something you want on it.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
To be the netflix of something indicates to me that as a platform it is available everywhere. Less to do with its breadth of content and more to do with its ubiquity among consumers.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With Ubisoft launching their own pass, I'm getting the feeling publishers are already looking to skip past the good years of movie/tv streaming and jump right into the "separate sub for each studio" dystopia we're in now.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The value is insane. I was thinking about it yesterday. I can buy scarlet day one and not buy any games. My xbox one livrary will transfer and if I have gamepass all microsoft launch games will be available including Halo Infinite. A very good incentive to make people buy your platform day one.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
because sony isn't for sale.

You don't have to be on sale to be bought. If you convince the Shareholders of a good deal, then they can buy the company.

It's disputable.

It's disputable.

Have you ever looked into PS Now? It's been around a lot longer, probably has more subs, and it's likely it will get a performance boost with next gen.

PSNow has 700,000 users. Game Pass has been confirmed to be in the Millions.

really? He has sources at the board level?

Why don't you ask him? But you can't dispute Brad Sams insider knowledge of Microsoft.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most will know that google will take the lead in this. Ms is bad in marketing and mobile/cloud is not their thing. I have onedrive and it doesnt work smart, even my xbox one controllers have issues on their own OS. Even google stream tech is way beyond what other companies can deliver. They have youtube chromecadt and google to stream their games. Everyone will get use to it. Howmuch i love ms, google will be the next netflix. I believe sony is in the worst position here. Nintendo always does their own thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I am really impressed and in general I've never really been that impressed with Microsoft (although 360 era around when Vesperia and Eternal Sonata were announced made me get a 360). I think Sony is now officially behind the curve. MS have been pretty non existent for the past few years but they have really built their infrastructure up.

I feel like even if Sony had nothing big to announce, it was a mistake to cede all the attention to MS. A lot of the games they showed are actually PS4 games too.

Sony didn't lose anything by not showing up. The reaction to Microsoft's show has been tepid at best.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Console wars, history of similar behaviour
If Microsoft had a good offer that EA Shareholders couldn't resist then they would take it. Brad Sams is a highly credible person regarding the insides of Xbox and Microsoft overall.

Sounds like more speculation that literally adds nothing of value to your point. Try using some actual facts when having a discussion. Here is a fact, Playstation generates more than double the revenue that Xbox does. Sony has spent a hell of a lot more developing actual videos in the last 10 years. Microsoft has not made a game at the quality of a Sony AAA game in over a decade. Sony has far better 3rd party support than Microsoft does, PSN alone generates more revenue than the entire Xbox division. I can go on but I hope you got the point.

Someone saying they heard someone consider something has never proved anything.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
For me it's been a much better value than Netflix has ever been. Using special offers and trials, I got 7 months of gamepass for like $2.00.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Most will know that google will take the lead in this. Ms is bad in marketing and mobile/cloud is not their thing. I have onedrive and it doesnt work smart, even my xbox one controllers have issues on their own OS. Even google stream tech is way beyond what other companies can deliver. They have youtube chromecadt and google to stream their games. Everyone will get use to it. Howmuch i love ms, google will be the next netflix. I believe sony is in the worst position here. Nintendo always does their own thing.

If Google was the Netflix of Gaming, why did they go the route of IaaS and not SaaS?

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Gotta agree with everyone here. It's pretty indisputable. Don't see how anyone else can come close to matching them at this point. Gamepass and xCloud together is going to be bonkers.

• Gamepass has already saved me HUNDREDS of dollars with games I would've bought anyway.
  • Then they randomly shadow drop amazing games I WANT to buy/play but tell myself I won't because my backlog is too big. i.e. Life is Strange 2
  • Then they constantly announce new games that drop day 1 on Game Pass that, again, I WANT to play but am not paying $30/$40/$60 day one when my backlog is already disgustingly huge...i.e. Ashen/Below ($40/$30)
  • Then E3 comes and they shadow drop more games I want to play like Metro: Exodus, Void Bastards, Moonlighter, Astroneer, Everspace, Guacamelee 2, Hollow Knight, (hell, the last two I already played elsewhere but I never beat them and now they're free?) lots more without even announcing this drop
  • Then they announce like 30 fucking games that are launching day 1 with gamepass, many that are day one purchases in many peoples minds
I cant even keep up. It literally feels like Netflix where I have SO much available to me that I spend an hour trying to decide what should get priority over the rest.

It's fucking insane.

Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MS is making loads of money from getting a cut of EA games and EA Access. They need several billion dollars of reasons to buy EA while currently they can just make money off of them doing very little.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
And just like Netflix companies earlier associated with it will soon start to leave to create (Disney) their own streaming services or get picked up by another one.

Just as I type this UBI announced their own lol.

Gamepass sure is exciting and big right now being the first big one on the market but a year from now all these services will start to keep their games exclusive to their platform for at least a long time, fight for new games from minor studios as well as indies and if you want to play many new games you will have to subscribe to several services.

First party content will probably become more and more important and just like how Netflix have started to create their own movies and series to keep customers from switching it will be harder and harder to stay on top.

Which is why I think we will see some serious acquisitions activity from Microsoft, Google and Amazon. We will likely see a massive consolidation of the Gaming Industry with few players left and indies taking the rest.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Ubisoft launching their own pass, I'm getting the feeling publishers are already looking to skip past the good years of movie/tv streaming and jump right into the "separate sub for each studio" dystopia we're in now.

The only issue is that Ubi can't put its service everywhere without MS permission. It's likely why their service is PC only. Likely cut a deal to keep console stuff in Game Pass.

Anyone know the console/Pc split of Ubi games? I feel like their bread and butter leans heavily console not PC.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
GP is the best service that's come out this gen for gaming. I paid a $1 to have access to gears of war, halo, and a ton of other games when they launch. Can't beat that shit. Gonna start Metro Exodus in a minute

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Try using some actual facts when having a discussion. Here is a fact, Playstation generates more than double the revenue that Xbox does. Sony has spent a hell of a lot more developing actual videos in the last 10 years. Microsoft has not made a game at the quality of a Sony AAA game in over a decade.

If you really want to stick to facts, None of Days Gone, The Last Guardian, Order 1886 and Infamous (all AAA games) have a higher metacritic than the Forza Horizon series. Or Ori. Or Halo 5. Or Gears 4.

But I digress. Gamepass - what this thread is about - is SO much more than first party games. It encompasses lots of excellent 3rd party games, indies, first party games and 360/Xbox BC. Why are you bringing console wars rhetoric here?

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Will the Netflix of gaming appear on the Switch before Netflix itself? Let's find out tomorrow!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And not losing customers. They're adapting, same as Microsoft will. No need for the doom and gloom now. Just enjoy your game pass!

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'd say no, but then again Sony always delivers at Shit o' clock, and they can't be bothered with day one PS Now so yeah, Microsoft is truly the leader of digital space.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is actually the leader in console space for streaming psnow has been around for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.