• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda Majoras Mask - no wait, it's the best actually

Breath Of Fire IV... - no wait that's the best too

Dark Souls II.... no... wait.. I can't be THAT delusional, that one IS the best.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Halo: Reach.

It was my first Halo. I loved both its campaign and the multiplayer. The music, the setting.
I eventually got to play the entire saga and I thought that the original trilogy was relatively overrated, in retrospective.

Wasn't my first Halo, but I feel the same way about Reach. The campaign hits a lot of buttons and it has the finest score of the series, in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with Firefight back in the day as well.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Think of it more from a consensus type, where you're favorite one usually is counted among the minority who'd consider it the best in the series, even if it's all subjective in the end

In that case, probably Donkey Kong Country Returns (prefer it slightly over Tropical Freeze), Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 2, and Sonic Heroes.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
I couldn't stand Ezio's story and that gameplay style when it came out, and I still can't.

Max Payne 3
I love those old games but I Rockstar's twist on it was amazing.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Virtua Fighter 3 for sure. Often seen as the black sheep of the series, I find the game way more revolutionary than the others. The things that game was doing all the way back in 1996 was remarkable.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't the best one in one's eyes always their favourite one?

AC Unity is my favourite in the series, even though it is not generally viewed as the "best" entry.
Not necessarily. I think Mass Effect 2 is a better made game than the first in terms of combat feel and design, mission structure, performance, etc. But the original's still my personal favorite - it introduced me to that world, the characters and holds a special place in my heart.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect. Outclassed by its succesors, but that janky ass RPG is just lovable.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Arkham Asylum; without the open world, the game is better paced and feels like Metroid. Only game in the series that I absolutely 100% completed.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 (SOTFS)

I think Vendrick might be my favorite character across all videogames. Such an interesting figure with a really complicated history, twisted morals, who is clearly deeply flawed and yet heroic in his own strange way. I love Vendrick so damn much. And his voice acting is just superb. Really nailed that internal struggle that you can extrapolate from all the other bits and pieces about his life.

The Majula theme also hits me in a way that little other music does. It's just right. A perfect expression of the mood of that game.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I believe Final Fantasy VI is the best FF game, but my personal favourite differs.

I think I'd say the same for MGS2 being the best MGS game, but 3 is my personal favourite.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of time
Final Fantasy V
Pokemon Crystal
Mario Galaxy 2
Megaman X4
Aria of Sorrow

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Dark Souls 2. Love that dumb mess of a game and its willingness to experiment and try new things with the Demon's Souls formula. Stuff like bonfire acetics and a proper NG+ never should've been dropped from DS3.

It has by far the best PVP in the series due to build variety, stamina management, offhand weapons having full movesets, the backstep iframes, powerstance and great PVP covenants. If it wasn't for the lack of a proper red eye orb and the inclusion of soul memory I'd have almost no complaints with the multiplayer, but even those are easy to work around.

Perhaps controversially I also think it has the best fashion and some really underappreciated lore, characters and themes. Vendrick, Aldia and Lucatiel in particular are some of my favourite NPCs in the series.

PVE is the weakest in the trilogy though (especially bosses) other than the excellent DLC so it's hard for me to outright say it's the best with such a glaring flaw, but I love it anyway and stand by it being the best online experience in the series to date if nothing else

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is a less consistent, less approachable, less cohesively designed game than its predecessor but reaches even higher highs IMHO, that I've come to ultimately appreciate more than I comparatively dislike its low points after many, many, many, many playthroughs.

first post nails it.

this is also how I feel about Star Trek Deep Space 9. I can't say it's better than TNG, but its by far my favorite, for a lot of the same reasons listed above about MP2 lol.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Assassins' Creed 1 (It just felt like missions made more sense for the goal of assassinating someone, even as repetitive as they were)
Mass Effect 1 (debatable on it not being the best one, actually)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (against Chaos Theory and Blacklist)

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice

There, I said it. It's my favourite.
I loved everything about the first case, finally realizing who your defendant is (big WTF moment for me), learning that people are lying to you left and right, I loved Apollo's gimmick (still do), Apollo as a new main character with his own style of going about things, a prosecutor whose stick is not being an evil asshole that is just there to drag out the case with a bunch of bullshit witnesses for once, I even love that stupid magic show video that they make you watch a billion times and you can't skip (that one is partly Stockholm Syndrome though, to be fair).
Anyways, I really didn't like what happened in Dual Destinies, and I am still straight up SALTY about Spirit of Justice. My poor man Apollo didn't needed a new backstory with each game just to be eventually written out of the series, Capcom did him dirty. In my heart he'll always be an ever-doubting lawyer, not a wizard orphan from Nepal that wants to go to space...

I know its's not the best in the series. For one it has that awful magic show case. It's inconsistent and leaves a bunch of open threads. It ends in an extremely weird (fake) player choice, and basically is both the start of a new trilogy and trying to self-sabotage its main premise.
I like that it's weird and tries to go off the rails, but it's constantly holding itself back by wanting to both tie into the first trilogy and set up a new one as well as stray from the formula (spoiler, that doesn't work very well).

Weird, very flawed game. Definitely my favourite in the series.

The Curse of Monkey Island

Oh shit, also this one. The music and the humor in this one just got me so much more than the first two. It's also the first in the series I played, so that gives it a special place in my heart.
Yup, that's the one for me.
egEjO8ZJQC6Vr0HSNC6i-d5B94fPh1HlxmGfDyD-pa9_9H3HBJvoZKqXwNgwgTiPv18EGQbbKHb113eFaN0FBmkPYeHf4R1i9tLp6G6m8fTN8Kvk80iC

Last edited:

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I think that Pokemon BW2 or HGSS are the best in the series, but Pokemon BW came out at exactly the right time in my life for me to kind of escape into. Also one of the few Pokemon games I replay every year.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is a less consistent, less approachable, less cohesively designed game than its predecessor but reaches even higher highs IMHO, that I've come to ultimately appreciate more than I comparatively dislike its low points after many, many, many, many playthroughs.
I consider it the best metroid game, it's also been my favorite game of all time for the last decade.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 5.

While not the best campaign, the story and characters are the best in the series. Coop is also legit fun.

I fell in love with the game and will always be my number 1 RE.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Usually people rank Suikoden 2 as the best in the series But I really enjoyed Suikoden 5 the most.

One of the few JRPGs I finished twice. And since it's been so long i've been thinking about a third. I would love for the series to be on the Switch. Insta buy for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Max Payne 3.

I get that the first was way more revolutionary than the third one, so I can see how people consider that the best, or even the second one.

But boy the presentation was fucking good. I don't even care about the unskippable cutscenes because they were just so damn good. The voice acting, the music, the camera work. Fuck. I love that game. It was dark, unique and full of character. It is among the kings in cinematic storytelling. I would rate it on the same level TLoU is.

Of course the gameplay is a masterpiece, but that goes without saying.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Sunshine (more like shunshine am i right) is still the one 3d mario game i return to the most. it feels absolutely incredible to play, and it brings me a fuckton of joy.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depending on the perspective, Metal Gear Solid 5 fits this for me. It's my favorite gameplay of the series, but also objectively the worst one for being released entirely unfinished.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
There's about a half dozen Sonic games that are definitively better than Sonic Adventure 2, but I am willing to die on the hill of it being my favorite.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Shenmue.. I do believe the second game is better in every aspect, it just that I'm emotionally more attached to the original, it felt cozier
Yakuza 5.
5 cities, 5 playable characters, most minigames in the series, longest playtime... I love it.
Yep, but you've just stated everything that makes it the best in the series tho :p

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario TTYD is usually regarded as the best in the series but I prefer 64. It had better level design, pacing and music, also I didn't like the random elements introduced in TTYD's combat.

And I really didn't like TTYD's Bowser.

Agreed. I understand why people like TTYD more, and I do fully agree it does some things better, but the combat always felt less special to me; it felt like it went a little too far down the road of traditional JRPG compared to 64's more puzzle like battles. I also like Color Splash more than TTYD for this same reason.

All three are great though!

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XII - the story falls apart somewhat but the charm of the characters, the fleshed out setting and the mechanics make it my favourite.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
For me it has a lot to do with my mindset at the time. Wind waker is not the best Zelda game, but it was part of an almost perfect summer in my teenage years.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Dead Rising 3, put nearly 100 hours in it, most fans of the series didn't care much for it.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Starfox Adventures is my favorite Starfox game.
However, this is the case because I like Zelda-likes and don't like rail shooters, and wasn't really a fan of Starfox before Adventures. It's basically a genre change, and I totally understand why those who like the series because of its original genre would hate Adventures. (Honestly wish this could have just stayed Dinosaur Planet and not been tied into Starfox to begin with. Would've kept both parties happy.)

If we're strictly sticking to games within a series that don't pull a Nuts&Bolts/Starfox Adventures genre switch, then I submit Skyward Sword.
It has the most of what I love about Zelda games and the least of what I don't like about them, and I enjoyed the story-heavy (by LoZ standards) parts. I also never really had any major problems with the "waggle" controls. (I did admittedly get quick at hitting that "re-zero the sensor" button, though.)

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Final Fantasy VIII
Resident Evil 3 PS1
Metal Gear Solid PS1
Uncharted 4

Maybe I made it easy on me, because all those games are absolutely fantastic without being the most popular ones in the franchise and I also love basically all other games in those series. Like Resident Evil 2 PS1, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid 3 are all masterpieces that I basically like as much as the games I listed, but the above list would be my personal favorites for other reasons that would be hard to explain objectively.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
For a series with multiple amazing games, Final Fantasy V is such a fun time to play despite a lot of entries being technically better.

For a more obscure game Super Robot Wars W on DS is probably my most played one of the SRW series beating both Alpha 3 and Z the usual top contenders