• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, I haven't been paying attention, who are the confirmed male x male characters?

Wait is this true? You can't support a party member with other party member? So supports are limited to Byleth x party member?
Conifrmed male x male possible pairing :
- Byleth x Linhardt
- Byleth x Gilbert
- Byleth x Alois

As for support between student they are present but none go the S level, so no romance between student go trough the support.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Claude and Dimitri not being choices is like the dumbest thing.
Yeah, really.

Based on the leaked info, the game clearly already had a bit of a bias for Edelgard (with two endings focused around her) but not having Claude and Dimitri as gay options feels really wrong.

I definitely would've gone for Male Byleth x Claude :(

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
- Byleth x Linhardt
- Byleth x Gilbert
- Byleth x Alois

As for support between student they are present but none go the S level, so no romance between student go trough the support.

Oh hmm, well we dont really know about the no romance thing between students exactly, right, since who knows the romance might blossoms at A instead of S for the non-Byleth supports, hahah.

As for the mxm choices... Huh, that's a weird selection. No Claude in there? Hummm.... That's weird.

Sunset Crusader

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
I'm sorry, I haven't been paying attention, who are the confirmed male x male characters?

Wait is this true? You can't support a party member with other party member? So supports are limited to Byleth x party member?

Sorry I should have been more specific.

It seems that you can support other characters together for C-A, but only Byleth has access to anyones S rank.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks man. Totally lopsided towards F/F and the female options are major characters while the male ones are all super bland. Lame as hell.

SuperJohnny

Alt account
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I don't get why the same people who complain that the MM options are a bit stereotyped also want Claude who is obviously a bit queer.
Alois and Gilbert are (hot) the least common gays/bi IS could chose.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that eventually FE does away with gendered restrictions for romance, just let m or f Byleth romance anyone.

As for the suggestions to cut out the romance system entirely, I, and many other people would just stop buying the games. My interest lies primarily in character interactions, strategic gameplay is a distant second. And without the "shipping" crowd the series would fade back into borderline-irrelevance it was in before Awakening.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people complain in Fates that the gay option was a flirty dark skinned guy because it was stereotyping? It's a little weird to me that people would assume Claude is gay for that same reason.

"Only" is the word you're looking for. Femme guys are going to be attractive to people who want an m/m shipping option, but having that be the -only- option is stereotyping.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'm having trouble imagining that these choices would even be popular with the other markets like the fujoshi/otome fangirls or such. I mean, maybe Lindhardt, but definitely not the old guys.

Also, the old guys are married with kids? that's just ummm yeah....

Wait, they are? What the fuck?

Why couldn't they be widows?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people complain in Fates that the gay option was a flirty dark skinned guy because it was stereotyping? It's a little weird to me that people would assume Claude is gay for that same reason.

It was more that Niles was a psychopath. Claude seems to be a three-dimensional character.

But sure, I would have personally preferred Dimitri as an option.

Why did people assume Claude was gay again? Wishful thinking?

Because of this article, and what seems to be good old fashioned queerbaiting in-game. Directed at M!Byleth:

69ad1bb353157943d08e55a227bede7a77c62b99.jpg

School dance (M!Byleth's hand):

46883d8d0c150e9a3dc0e61b6c3ecb17a18fe2e1.png

6d05b0c279593bba60d5ef237985a1907a35fdca.jpg

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that eventually FE does away with gendered restrictions for romance, just let m or f Byleth romance anyone.

As for the suggestions to cut out the romance system entirely, I, and many other people would just stop buying the games. My interest lies primarily in character interactions, strategic gameplay is a distant second. And without the "shipping" crowd the series would fade back into borderline-irrelevance it was in before Awakening.
IS doesn't put restrictions for no reasons, adding the permutation to romance every character in the game would be a significant amount of work. Voice acting, many additional cutscenes/scenarios, programming and so on.

Sounds like a nightmare to me. If three choices (possibly more that they haven't found yet) isn't good enough, I say just remove the dumb e romance stuff from the game entirely.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Not gonna lie Claude not being an option is very disappointing, especially considering Edelgard is. No that would be too much to make a queer baiting character queer, can't be sullying our male leads like that can we now? Married dads are on the table though!

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so Alois is married? There goes the only semi-respectable option, I guess.

make romanceable claude dlc intsys

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IS doesn't put restrictions for no reasons, adding the permutation to romance every character in the game would be a significant amount of work. Voice acting, many additional cutscenes/scenarios, programming and so on.

Sounds like a nightmare to me. If three choices (possibly more that they haven't found yet) isn't good enough, I say just remove the dumb e romance stuff from the game entirely.

Do you really think for the bi-characters S support will be different depending of Byleth gender ? I don't believe that for a second.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not calling you out specifically, but this is super depressing to me just in that I know it's true.
It's not my call to make regardless, but I really wish the series didn't have to be a dating sim to survive.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was more that Niles was a psychopath. Claude seems to be a three-dimensional character.

Because of this article, and what seems to be good old fashioned queerbaiting in-game. Directed at M!Byleth:

46883d8d0c150e9a3dc0e61b6c3ecb17a18fe2e1.png

6d05b0c279593bba60d5ef237985a1907a35fdca.jpg

👏give 👏 me 👏the 👏golden 👏deer's👏rear 👏

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not calling you out specifically, but this is super depressing to me just in that I know it's true.
It's not my call to make regardless, but I really wish the series didn't have to be a dating sim to survive.

Compared to Awakening and Fate, the dating sim in Tree Houses are toned down quite a bit since this time its only between the Byleth and another character, so no longer any matchmaking between your unit, and more importantly no children.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Compared to Awakening and Fate, the dating sim in Tree Houses are toned down quite a bit since this time its only between the Byleth and another character, so no longer any matchmaking between your unit, and more importantly no children.
Yeah that arguably sounds like the dating sim elements are increased. Now no one will be romantically involved with anyone except the player. Before, it was a gameplay mechanic, now it's wish fulfillment.

It's Binding Blade all over again.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think for the bi-characters S support will be different depending of Byleth gender ? I don't believe that for a second.
To be fair in Fates the lesbian Rhajat support was different from the straight one

In Japan anyway they changed it to be the same in the localization for some reason.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
There should be.

I hope they do it ala Dragon Age Inquisition. There's bi, straight, gay NPCs rather than making everyone bi for the sake of it like in Dragon Age 2.

I love how people toot this out without realizing there's a straight LI in Seb.

Edited because assumptions are bad.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the most unintentionally horny thing I've seen in a game.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, if they're not going to make anyone gay then they might as well make everyone bi.

Probably because Sebastian was DLC.

I keep forgetting he was dlc XD probably because I always buy BW DLC cause it tends to be well intergrated (except that darkspawn dlc for origins where it was just killing everyone. That blew).

That said as a romance he sucked. But I attribute that to his character than anything :X

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

First, I have bad news for you, there's no shipping except for the mc
Second, I think people overestimate how important the romance system is. The casual mode and the better marketing was that made the series popular, specially when romance already existed before in the series with the GBA games.
I dont think it has to be a dating sim to survive, the Tellius games are highly praised and they have little romance. It just needed to be marketed better and be more welcoming to casual players.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they should've made Claude a pick. Well, they should've made Claude and one other traditionally hot character into options, just to bring it into parity with the F/F options, but Claude is the really obvious one.

I will say, I'm intrigued where they're going with Gilbert and Alois. Having older characters with kids be M/M options is... unusual, to say the least. Could be an interesting story there.
- Byleth x Linhardt
- Byleth x Gilbert
- Byleth x Alois

FWIW, apparently some students do romance each other at A-rank, or even below that - it's just that because every opposite sex relationship doesn't have to end in marriage/kids, there's more granularity to what the relationships are. Some of them just won't get along and can't even hit A-rank, others are already engaged (they're nobility, after all) or have other existing relationships, so that plays itself out. How that works with Byleth's ability to romance more than half the cast is going to be interesting.

I think it's good for the overall health of the character writing, though I get why it bums out the dedicated shippers.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
So any chance the romance list could change post time-skip? Isn't anything that occurs after that still under NDA? Or are all relationships set during the school part?

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
You can't S Rank anyone during the school portion.

I don't think any previews have discussed anything post skip.
Hmm, but we've seen screen captures of the character lists showing S-Rank availability. Are those determined at the start of the game then that can be accessed in that menu then? (I guess it makes it so that the player knows who they should be spending time on)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So any chance the romance list could change post time-skip? Isn't anything that occurs after that still under NDA? Or are all relationships set during the school part?
I believe that the lists we've seen are being taken from the "bonus" section of the main menu, where you can re-watch the supports, so I'd call it unlikely, but possible - it could have stuff hidden until you have a playthrough far enough in.

I doubt it, though.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, if they're not going to make anyone gay then they might as well make everyone bi.

Probably because Sebastian was DLC.
Definitely didn't get the DLC!

I was so annoyed with how the game handled relationships, dialogues, and samey dungeons that I didn't even think of getting it.