• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
pay up and there won't be a shortage

imagine how shit the average wage is that people are willing to take just 300 bucks a week over it

i have no sympathy for the corporations

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Governor of South Carolina announced today that he is ending the state's access to the federal unemployment assistance.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a crazy idea...

What if whatever /wallstreetbets is doing is applied to labor? People from a specific industry/company/location, etc all get together for a brief period to shake things up?...

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
So I have a friend who recently decided to quit her job for various reasons that also involved Covid. Now, she's looking for work and finally landed a job at a theater. However, these people are gonna pay her $7.25, the minimum wage here in Texas.

Ten years ago, I started at my current job at $8 an hour, just a little bit more than minimum wage. You're telling me that in 10 years, the cost of living hasn't gone up? That's crazy, it most definitely has and $7.25 isn't gonna cut it anymore.
Yeah it's crazy, when you factor in inflation $7.25 in 2021 is the equivalent of $5.68 in 2007 when minimum wage was $5.85. That means the minimum wage increases in 2008/2009 have been cancelled out.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking it's just people being lazy. Politicians should be required to do some secret boss type shit. Put on a disguise and go work Retail, restaurant or some other shitty customer facing job for two weeks.

"laziness" = not being willing to do as much work as possible for the lowest wage possible.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
but there is a labor shortage.

Its just a shortage of people willing to work for poverty wages.
It sure is.

I'm a gas station manager. We can not get people interested in working, or staying. We just had a hiring event in our area. Two people showed up between 4 gas stations. In Ohio minimum wage is $8.80, we pay $12 (the gas stations in the company that are in the Union pay minimum wage). We have had to raise our starting wage by $1 two different times in the last 5 months to try and get people. The last one was a result of almost no turnout for the hiring event. But even with that increase we are still losing people. Ohio is cheap, but when other places are paying more who would want to only make $12 an hour?

We are part of a company that is mainly grocery stores, and looking at the job postings they are offering $1000 sign on bonuses for things like cake decorators and bakers. So looks like they are pretty short too.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
My guess is corporate America waits this out until the expanded UI benefits run out, once that's gone the low paying jobs will become staffed more readily. Would be pretty awesome if this led to wage increase but it's cheaper in the long run for these companies just to wait it out

Right, any losses they take for the next few months will be worth it at lower wages later this year.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It sure is.

I'm a gas station manager. We can not get people interested in working, or staying. We just had a hiring event in our area. Two people showed up between 4 gas stations. In Ohio minimum wage is $8.80, we pay $12 (the gas stations in the company that are in the Union pay minimum wage). We have had to raise our starting wage by $1 two different times in the last 5 months to try and get people. The last one was a result of almost no turnout for the hiring event. But even with that increase we are still losing people. Ohio is cheap, but when other places are paying more who would want to only make $12 an hour?

We are part of a company that is mainly grocery stores, and looking at the job postings they are offering $1000 sign on bonuses for things like cake decorators and bakers. So looks like they are pretty short too.

Do you work for GetGo, by chance?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pay more you cheap fucks.

This is the reason why we need a higher minimum wage. Because if you don't have one, businesses would rather whine to the government to force people to work or die rather than pay up for jobs people actually want.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
We've had a staffing crunch at USPS for months, because the work has been at Christmas levels for over a year and shows absolutely no signs of slowing. Nobody wants to work, everyone's looking for a way out (including me), and hiring new people is challenging, with retaining them nearly impossible.

I don't know if increased pay would fix that. If I were eligible for unemployment, I'd take it over delivering mail in a heartbeat.

I feel for you all in the worst way. Near me once you go into the city the post offices are a mess. Out here in the small suburb its fine, but drive into KCMO any day of the week and drive past a Post Office and theres lines of people outside standing. I dont know if its short staff or Covid precautions but we gasped when we saw that line wrapped around the walkway.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My job recently started offering bonuses, re-announced raises, and is experimenting with certain shifts giving people more hourly pay than others to entice them into expanding availability. We're still so understaffed some days that full timers have to come in on days off for coverage as we don't have enough people to be a cashier (reasonably, who would want a job as a cashier during a pandemic?).

It's hard though. You CANNOT make a living on minimum wage (or the above minimum we pay) without doing multiple jobs. The ideal worker is someone in school, retired, or a stay at home parent who comes in during school hours. 'Ideal' meaning those people generally are in it for extra income, not necessary income.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I worked for them for a year some time back two locations in PA and the union one was pretty cool.
I've covered some shifts at the Union stores before, not a bad job, but I felt bad for them.girl I was working with doing the work of management but making minimum wage, while I'm there with her doing overtime making almost 3x what she is making.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Yeah, my facility has felt a lot of this. We're a substance use treatment facility (a rehab, in other words) and pay for both chemical dependency and mental health staff is pretty fair. We're having a hell of a time hiring anyone though. One thing that hurts us at the moment is that the state department of human services recently announced some pretty onerous new regulations that significantly increased the workload we have per week, paperwork especially. We're all on salary, so the extra work is just kind of uncompensated. We're all burned out. I'm planning on going back to school ASAP to get my marriage and family therapy license, because there's no way in hell I can keep up this pace as I get older.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I went from hospitality/restaurant -> mortgage
and so far it was a great change. there is a surprising amount of people at my workplace who came from restaurants.

The headlines are really overselling "unemployment causing people to be lazy" and missing the bigger picture - it's not that they dont want to return because unemployment is good, it's more COVID has made people realize they were previously working too hard for too little.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to go on unemployment because I make just a bit over 300 a week but then no insurance...