• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Happy Birthday!

Also, you got a PS5 Pre-Order, so that's a big win. lol (I managed to get one too, so, high five!)

My Birthday was fairly similar this year, and I turned 41. I'm divorced, and it's the second year I've had to celebrate my birthday without my ex-wife, and I thought it wouldn't bug me, but I admit, it had me melancholy for a little bit. Because of the pandemic, I was unable to see my mom and sisters for my birthday like the previous year, so I made the best of it and just talked to the handful of people I could, played lots of games, watched movies/tv, treated myself to toys and games, and overall made the best of it.

You aren't alone, and you have us! You're also young, and let me say, being young and not doing anything for your birthday isn't a bad thing. Don't beat yourself up over it. Your worth isn't tied to how many people you're friends with, or how many people wish you a happy birthday or not, or any of that shit. You've made it to another year, and have weathered a lot of storms. You're a year older, a year wiser, and you're still putting one foot in front of the other. Celebrate that, even if it's just you chillin' in your place watching Youtube (I'm totally not chilling in my place watching Youtube at the moment...).

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Ayy OP I also turned 24 this year and I also spent it completely alone lol. Somewhat similar circumstance as you except that in my case every single person that I knew left town or was unavailable on my birthday. Was fine cause Covid and I don't wanna risk anything. But it stung a little cause damn even the family had better shit to do apparently.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well I stopped celebrating my birthday a loooong time ago, pointless thing, for me that is. And when I did celebrate, it would just be with my mom & brother. I understand it may be a bigger deal for others to celebrate birthdays though. You did mention meeting up with some of your family, hope you'll have a wonderful time! And you did the right thing to treat yourself!

Happy Birthday OP!

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Don't worry about missing out or anything. Lots of us have gone/go/will go through this same thing (god knows I have) and life doesn't always square with whatever day your birthday falls on, least of all in 2020 amidst a global pandemic.

TBH, my most fun memories aren't birthdays, but random days. Just treat yourself and try to make the day as enjoyable and stress free as you can, and focus on celebrating (safely) when things are in a better position for you.

My birthday is coming up and I have zero plans to do anything other than take a day or two off work and probably do as little as possible. Planning in 2020 seems kinda pointless so will just use them as sanity restoration days.