• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any approach to first party offerings that's more consumer-friendly than

"If you bought my stuff in the past I'll honor your purchases via BC, sometimes enhancing them for free. And for new stuff, it's available day-1 with a generously priced subscription"

?
Or play anywhere. Get two copies for the price of one.

Snackawho

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Pay to win means you gain advantages that others that haven't payed don't get. Maybe they have to spend extra time to get the same, as we've seen in many mobile games or maybe it can't even be earned in-game. Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 follow the first model.

This is Iron: https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/p/500-iron/9pk917v6pncb?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

A fake currency used in Gears 5 and if I buy it, I can upgrade my character skills in horde for instance, so they instantly get better. People that don't pay, can't get instantly better and will have to grind various modes to do the same. Forza Horizon 4 has a literal coin doubler where you earn double wins and get extra super wheelspins. You also gain an advantage in finding signs, if you buy the treasure map, which people that don't pay won't get.

This is what pay to win is: getting advantages that others that don't pay, don't get.

As another poster already said, none of the horde skills can be bought. Real money can only be used on cosmetics. Stop trying to spread misinformation.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Unless I am missing something KZSF doesn't have microtransactions. They sell skin packs and a co-op mode for real money on the PS Store but they don't sell virtual currency.

They have in-game Valor which can only be earned by playing that let's players unlocked the paid skins for free.
As far as I know, it's been there, it was the only game I have for PS4: https://www.polygon.com/2014/12/10/7372459/killzone-shadow-fall-ps4-valor-microtransactions

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I can't speak for Forza 5, as I don't know how successful it was, but I doubt that Ryse and Crimson Dragon played any significant role in normalizing microtransactions, as they simply weren't popular enough for those reasons. I think Microsoft's only role in normalizing microtransactions was creating a platform that enabled it, and that happened in the previous console generation, not this one.

crimson dragon was just a meh game. the mtx never even became an issue because there was no compelling reason to play.

rise had mtx?

Feb 26, 2018
Well Sony and Nintendo are not saints but MS was going all in on that crap in early days. And they do still sell lots of mtx in almost every release they have.
But i guess its a price to pay for the cheap GP

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
That's why I stopped buying MS Games. It bothered me with Forza 5, 6 and Horizon 3. But Horizon 4 was the straw that broke the camels back for me. As a huge fan of the Forza Horizon Series I bought the Ultimate Edition. After maybe 5 hours of playtime I was prompted with a new Classic Sportscar Cup on the map. But when I tried to enter I was told I needed to buy DLC to participate. I uninstalled the game imediately and never looked back. My Xbox is collecting dust ever since and I haven't bought another MS Game. Nor do I plan. No Gears 5 and no Halo Infinite for me, despite beeing a massive Fan of the franchises.

While it`s clearly not on MS alone, I can't disagree with Jims points. Huge parts of the Industry are turning to GAS, MTX and Lootboxes as their new main revenue stream and MS has been pushing the pedal on this issue early on.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it's toxic personalities who ruin video games by turning the discussion about them into nothing but negative nit picking, deliberate cherry picking and misrepresentation, and platform warring instead of enjoying the golden age of gaming we are in. To each their own I suppose.

I watched your video, Jim, and it's pretty bad. It easily could have been 5 or so minutes, but I'm sure you needed that watch time. Can't blame you for playing the YouTube game. Get your money while you can.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any approach to first party offerings that's more consumer-friendly than

"If you bought my stuff in the past I'll honor your purchases via BC, sometimes enhancing them for free. And for new stuff, it's available day-1 with a generously priced subscription"

?
Yes. "I will not put any MTX in the game you want to buy".

The generously priced subsricption won't be priced as genrously once new subs will slow down. As soon that happens they will start charging more from people who have been invested in the ecosystem for years. Whe've seen this song and dance often enough now.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't say I disagree with Jim but they've bought some new studios so hopefully they turn a new leaf next gen. This gen has been a total disaster for them so I can see why they have relied a lot on monetization. Last gen they were also deep into the monetization thing but they had quality games so people didn't notice but this gen it's glaringly obvious because their output this gen has been abysmal with the exception of a few quality games. With that said, MS has been leading the way with a lot of pro-consumer practices lately. I think it's a bit unfair to throw them under the bus even if they laid the groundwork for microtransactions and monetization with their practices last gen.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Also I don't understand his argument considering Sony had mtx in their launch titles as well. As many people have pointed out. On top of that Sony has allowed mtx on 3rd party games on their console as well. If he's making that argument then he should be mentioning them as well. Nintendo is the only one I think that hasn't widely supported the practice on their platform.
It's microsoft fault doing things so wrong that nothing is calling out other platform holders and publishers for doing the same. They are the wall behind other make evil things too!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Pay to win means you gain advantages that others that haven't payed don't get. Maybe they have to spend extra time to get the same, as we've seen in many mobile games or maybe it can't even be earned in-game. Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 follow the first model.

This is Iron: https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/p/500-iron/9pk917v6pncb?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

A fake currency used in Gears 5 and if I buy it, I can upgrade my character skills in horde for instance, so they instantly get better. People that don't pay, can't get instantly better and will have to grind various modes to do the same. Forza Horizon 4 has a literal coin doubler where you earn double wins and get extra super wheelspins. You also gain an advantage in finding signs, if you buy the treasure map, an advantage which people that don't pay, won't get.

This is what pay to win is: getting advantages that others that don't pay, don't get.

You can't buy skills in Horde, only cosmetics but ok.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
360 ushered in a shit load of new stuff and not all of it was good. You get DLC and smaller downloadable games on console, party systems and the like, but the horse armors and paid online and everything came along with it.

I'd argue that Microsoft has never had a big enough game full of microtransactions to have really been "at fault" for them, let alone normalizing them. I'd lay that on the likes of EA, Blizzard, Rockstar, Valve and mobile games in general. The EA card stuff in their sports games, Overwatch loot boxes, GTA Online's grimy paid currency, Valve was doing hats in TF2 nearly 10 years ago. Games like Farmville were normalizing gross microstransactions to a wide audience, again nearly 10 years ago, well before anything to do with fucking Ryse. Now Fortnite has made $20 skins and obscenely priced emotes a totally normal and acceptable thing to millions and millions of kids. They're here forever.

Like, yeah, Microsoft absolutely opened the door by pushing a lot of things forward with Live, especially on 360, but I don't know that they specifically "made videogames bad" because they've never been the ones to push that shit. They are absolutely at fault for whatever future damage game subscription services may cause though.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm 2/3rds into the Gears 5 campaign and I wouldn't even know that the game has MTX if not for currency packs (for ludicrous amounts of real world money) visible on the xbox app. I'm assuming that multiplayer modes are affected by them in some way. What can you buy for the currency, only cosmetics or do you get competitive advantage over other players?

The question is, are Sony's and Nintendo's multiplayer games MTX-free. If not, are they're getting a free pass from Jim mostly because they're releasing so few multiplayer games?

Nintendo games are mtx free. Splatoon and Mario Kart don't have any, Smash only has new chars (but the base roster is huge).

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
They
They are talking about the skins that are sold directly on the PS Store for real money, not via a virtual currency intermediary. So they have never been a problem.

Any game that uses paid virtual currency for cosmetic MTX is still a big problem.
First paragraph.

With Valor, players can convert points from multiplayer games into the virtual currency and buy multiplayer items that could previously be purchased only by spending real money.

It's no longer a problem, but it was. Even though I think that really wasn't because, I don't think that platform holders enable others for their shitty behavior. And whole thing was really bad premise (I mean the video).

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is peak Jim. He just tells the neckbeards what they want to hear.

After a horrible start, Microsoft has been the most pro consumer this generation. Their first party output has been fairly lackluster overall, but you can play so many games in so many different ways for cheap on the Xbox platform.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the points Jim makes in this video are spot on right. Especially the part about The Coalition acting like they are "Industry leading" by removing loot boxes yet still being full of MTX for cosmetics.
oooh nooo cosmetics MTX...the horror. Let's not act like cosmetic MTX is some crazy shit to really bitch about.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Forza 5, Ryse, and Crimson Dragon are apparently the bellwethers that the entire industry followed. And Dead Space 3 is somehow a Microsoft game I guess while EA, 2K, Take Two, Ubisoft, Sony, and Nintendo have never had microtransactions in their games. This is some next level nonsense.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
'They' are not going to like it but the tea has been spilledT

tumblr_lgt7mlmw7e1qg9vtzo1_500.gif

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
True, but not counter to Jim's argument that Microsoft helped normalize the practice. I'm not saying I agree with Jim, but I really don't know enough about microtransactions to see which company threw more into the fire.

So Sony is just a helpless company who was influenced by Microsoft and can't make decisions on their own?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They

ith Valor, players can convert points from multiplayer games into the virtual currency and buy multiplayer items that could previously be purchased only by spending real money.
Yes, the skin packs and announcer VO packs and stuff. These aren't microtransactions. They can only and have only been able to be purchased for real money directly on the PS Store. Microtransactions use virtual currencies and in-game virtual currency storefronts to sell their trash.

Valor was patched in as an in-game earnable currency only (you cannot buy it with money) to earn the paid skins and stuff for free.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh he uses too much hyperbole here when suggesting MS is the worst of the bunch but hes generally right.

His argument isn't helped however when the most recent titles have not shipped with this stuff, which have coincided with MS's shift in philosophy to just go after being the consumer friendly console on the market.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Most of the points Jim makes in this video are spot on right. Especially the part about The Coalition acting like they are "Industry leading" by removing loot boxes yet still being full of MTX for cosmetics.

welp, monetizing mp is not going away at this point.

so pick your poison: pay an extra $20 up front, monthly subscription, or let people play dress up for real monies.

or worse. maybe we'll get advertisements for enimas after a loss in a round or something.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
He's right. MS are the ones who started most of the money-grabbing trends that are today standard in the industry. Microsoft are the ones who started charging for online play. They even had the balls to gate any online services that were free elsewhere like YouTube behind the Gold paywall for a good while. They're the first ones who built a console OS that gave publishers easy paid DLC purchase ability. The Xbox 360 was the first console to have paid DLC (hello, Oblivion horse armor). They tried to money-gouge you to dress up your avatar with virtual brand clothing. With the Xbox One's original plans, they even tried to go further by taking away your rights to freely resell/lend physical games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
He's been promising to do this video for ages and while I like what MS is doing right now since they are 3rd place, I can't argue with the fact some of the shittiest things in the industry came from them

I also fear gamepass is the drug that's going to hook people into not wanting to own their games so other pubs can fuck consumers

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Yes, the skin packs and announcer VO packs and stuff. These aren't microtransactions. They can only and have only been able to be purchased for real money directly on the PS Store. Microtransactions use virtual currencies and in-game virtual currency storefronts to sell their trash.

Valor was patched in as an in-game earnable currency only (you cannot buy it with money) to earn the paid skins and stuff for free.

This is an interesting distinction I have never heard before. Using real money directly, is not considered a microtransaction. Interesting indeed.

Oct 26, 2017
They absolutely are, but the PS3 was an abject failure and the company would not have been able to recover late gen if Microsoft had not been making the same excessive graphics push.

I think you've got it backwards. If Xbox360 hadn't launched as powerful as it did, and a year earlier than the PS3 to boot, Sony wouldn't have been under such pressure to produce the unwieldy monster of a console that they did. They would have gone with a cheaper graphics solution that could share the Cell's 256MB of RDRAM and probably wouldn't have pushed bluray as a mandatory feature in every console.

MS were at least much smarter than Sony in how they achieved such a high performing console at a much lower cost in 2005.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Its not about forgettable launch titles having mtx, its the fact that msoft was the first 1st party publisher to condone them in their own games; something the 3rd party pubs were obviously watching and aware of.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo just wants you to buy a physical toy, lol.
Yeah if anything I would continue to argue Nintendo's way of doing microtransactions is by far the worst in the industry. It requires you to buy toys whether you want them or not, that they ship in incredibly low amounts of (meaning you have a limited chance of purchasing DLC), attaching DLC to them randomly without anyway of knowing whether you need to buy one or not to be able to get future DLC, and they dont offer said DLC online for a discounted price via digital.

In fact I would say this practice alone undermines Jim's entire thesis in this video.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Personally I think it's toxic personalities who ruin video games by turning the discussion about them into nothing but negative nit picking, deliberate cherry picking and misrepresentation, and platform warring instead of enjoying the golden age of gaming we are in. To each their own I suppose.

I watched your video, Jim, and it's pretty bad. It easily could have been 5 or so minutes, but I'm sure you needed that watch time. Can't blame you for playing the YouTube game. Get your money while you can.
Bobby is that you?