• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

'It's like a sick experiment': Arizona lags behind as states order residents to stay home

Despite hundreds of Covid-19 cases, the governor has refused to order shelter-in-place and has barred localities from acting on their own

For the last three weeks, 57-year-old Ann O'Connor has avoided leaving her home in Paradise Valley, Arizona, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. As a cancer survivor with asthma, she is considered high risk for severe illness, and she wants to do her part to stop the virus's rapid spread.

But others here are not taking the same precautions. O'Connor's house looks on to a private golf course, and she spends her days watching foursomes tee off, buy refreshments and pile into golf carts. She sees neighbors greet each other with hugs.

"It's really disconcerting because you just see these people and there's no social distancing," O'Connor said in a phone interview from her home. "It is like a huge, sick experiment," she added about the lack of consistent action across the country.

O'Connor has children living in Washington, California and Colorado, where governors have issued statewide shelter-in-place orders and shut down all but essential businesses. She had expected it would just be a matter of time before the rest of the country followed suit.

But while more than 25 states and dozens of counties have ordered residents to stay home, 10 states, including Arizona, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming, have no such orders at the state, county or city level.

"Many of you have asked if or when the state will move towards a stay-at-home policy," Arizona's governor, Doug Ducey, a Republican, said at a 23 March press conference. "The answer is, not at this time."

He added: "The CDC is not there yet. Arizona is not there yet. We're not at the same stage as other states."

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So tired of this state being a laughing stock. Fuck you, Ducey.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Staying home as much as possible. People here are not taking this as seriously as they should be.... at least our government was smart enough to shut down our bars. Well some of them at least.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I have no idea how some states haven't made stay home orders. Just inviting it to spread. This hurts everyone, not just people in their state.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like the difference between the states that are trying their best to handle this as reasonably as possible, and the states that are handling this like fucking morons, is split down party lines.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My dad works at a Phoenix golf course part-time and it's a terrifying situation. I've helped him understand how serious the pandemic is and he's fought his bosses to get cleaning supplies and gloves. All of the golf course staff wants them to be shut down, but management both doesn't care and doesn't have the power to do so until the governor makes the order.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you'll just... wait for it to get worse instead of trying to prevent it. Solid plan.
A lot of people are reactive instead of proactive.

What's worse is when shit inevitably hits the fan, they won't even be prepared. They have no plan in place in case things get bad, they just think nothing's gonna happen and will wing it when it eventually happens.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neighbor's niece is down there and she's basically our kid's big sister during the summer when she's over. Hope she's doing alright amidst all this, what a fucking mess.

It really feels like the difference between the states that are trying their best to handle this as reasonably as possible, and the states that are handling this like fucking morons, is split down party lines.

I mean, one side is a bunch of spineless motherfuckers that'll take orders from a talk show host...

Digital_Sin

Dec 20, 2018
It is really bad here both with how things are being handled at a government level and the general public reaction. My wife and I both work public facing "essential" jobs and what we are seeing is terrifying.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder what is gonna happen if it really spreads and they close the border to mexico from arizona. a lot of older people go to mexico to get their prescriptions filled and get dental work done too.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Ducey is absolutely trash. People here are not taking it as seriously as they should. Motherfuckers were literally setting up a birthday party on the basketball court at my complex this weekend.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Don't forget to add that our director of emergency management just "resigned" yesterday. She was the person advising Ducey on what to do.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and these fucking clowns are the reason I'm staying home (live in Phoenix). Fortunately I already worked from home so nothing has changed there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's some weird comedy that the states that need to do the most, or doing the least. It's almost malicious at this point

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The "state is not there yet"? Nevermind the fact they don't have an accurate idea of how many people are infected, the whole point is to PREVENT THE SPREAD SO YOU DON'T GET "THERE" YOU STUPID FUCK.

Republicans are dangerous idiots, from the WH down to the governors, and they're getting people killed. This is fucking lunacy.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just going to back from doing essential grocery shopping and there was loads of people out and about. Seriously wtf when are we going to get our shit together before it's too late.

kfvick

Dec 3, 2018
Mississippi
Mississippi is in a similar situation, though not as severe as this nonsense. The governor here issued an edict about gatherings of 10 or more and how non essential business should be closed, then proceeded to make almost every business essential anyway. Sorry for all of you in Arizona, this sounds even worse than that. Stay safe

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well they just posted one of the highest per capita increases in new cases today of any state. So I expect it'll change soon.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really afraid for Arizona because my wife's elderly parents live there. They've been trying to stay in but they live with my wife's sister who works as a courier and her car broke so they were out getting her a new one, too. Really a lot of anxiety for them. If anything happened we'd be stuck here in Wisconsin.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's really creepy here. I only go out to the grocery store when we need supplies, but a lot of people are not taking this very seriously. There is a pretty large retired population that could get hit really hard when the virus spreads. The state government really needs to be doing more.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
While not essential, golf shouldn't be an issue as long as people are appropriately distancing themselves which should be really easy with Golf.
I understand that but these courses often have club houses and restaurants where people meet. Even if that would be no problem, because everybody keeps distance etc. i would not declare it essential... like a grocery store or a drug store.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just heard a news update on the radio saying that 7 city mayors wrote a letter to Ducey, today, pleading with him to give a shelter in place order.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Another scary point is arizona lacks in testing and response. I know two people who have been tested and it took 7-10 days to get results. The reported numbers might be as much as a week behind

Arizona ranks last in nation for COVID-19 testing

What they were doing would be reasonable if they had the capability to do lots and lots of testing and contact tracing to find and limit clusters from forming, but they seemingly aren't doing that. So this is an all around bad decision for them to be making.

Oct 27, 2017

I know Republicans are fucking idiots, but is there something in their cult doctrine which says they have to ignore the spread of highly infectious diseases or something? Like, I know they don't give a fuck about the populace except to the degree they can be manipulated, but do they nor realise the economy is going to crash either way, and probably even harder if they employ half measures to stop the spread and several hundred thousand people end up dying?!

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
This sounds like how in Fallout, some vaults were rigged for failure for "experiment".

As an Oklahoman whose state is doing the bare minimum, it definitely feels like an experiment here as well