• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So in Jedi Fallen Order, the character Merrin talks about late in the game how she was in love with a fellow Nightsister, and wanted to marry her until she was killed by Grevious. Star Wars has done a good job adding diversity in it's expanded universe, but the mainline series is still not really up to snuff, so I was glad to see such an important character be given this treatment, and she's very badass. I was looking at my Youtube recommendation list, and I found already...alot of these videos that have kinda frustrated me.

I'll put them in spoilers just in case the thumbnails are considered spoilery.

Comments are filled with heteronormative bullshit too. Of course she would be attracted to him just because he's the male MC? It's like they and the audience has relegated this cool lesbian character into a romance option with the male main character. On the same note, NONE of these scenes are romantic at all. Just seems to be two hurt people who are connecting platonically through their shared hardships and are becoming comrades.

Can a guy and a girl just be friends anymore?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You either die watching your people finally be portrayed properly in media or live long enough to see them being fetishized by the straights.

stilgar

Nov 8, 2017
It's basically fanfiction level of interpretation. Let people have their fantasy, have yours, everything is fine.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I expected way worse, like that disgusting youtuber with the red dead 2 videos.

Still when we gays do that kind of "headcanon" we get heteronormative bullshit down our throats, and yes chris redfield is GAY, good night.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I was expecting WAY worse based on the kind of "Discussion" I've seen surrounding this game recently (In areas other than era).
People like to ship. Things like sexual orientation have never gotten in the way of that before. People tripping over themselves over a hug is like, minor super common fandom stuff.

Also, don't bi people exist?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was expecting WAY worse based on the kind of "Discussion" I've seen surrounding this game recently (In areas other than era).
People like to ship. Things like sexual orientation have never gotten in the way of that before. People tripping over themselves over a hug is like, minor super common fandom stuff.

Also, don't bi people exist?
She mention she wanted to marry a woman, and she's no romantic attraction to any man. I think it's safe to assume she's gay.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt this just what fan shipping is? It's no different than any other ship. People ship two straight characters in a gay relationship all the time. Dont take any of this stuff seriously, especially from youtubers lol.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
She mention she wanted to marry a woman, and she's no romantic attraction to any man. I think it's safe to assume she's gay.
She mentioned that a woman she wanted to spend her life with was killed when they were both children. That's all we know. Nobody at all in this story shows attraction to any of the other characters.
That's not enough information to make a concrete assumption that's she's not bi.

Last edited:

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Never encountered her dialogue about falling for a woman. Either way I shipped them even though they didn't outright flirt, more like shared trauma bonding.
I even had an idea of her death in a possible sequel sending Cal to the dark side momentarily.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
????????????????????????????????????????WHAT ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
...What?

There are people on the Internet who don't know this?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game yet and opened the thread out of curiosity to see who the LGBTQ character is. I was disappointed to learn it wasn't Cal. :/

More on topic, judging based on the OP, video titles, and thumbnails (I don't want to spoil myself toooo much by watching), I agree with others that are framing it as shipping. If they're just imagining that they could have a romance and making videos as if that were true, I'm fine with that. That last video's title makes it sound like Cal just has a crush on her, which I wouldn't have an issue with as well (since people develop unrequited crushes on people all the time). And if other commenters are correct in saying the game doesn't rule out her being interested in men, then the shipping seems even more understandable.

If these YouTubers are saying she SHOULD be straight because she SHOULDN'T be interested in women, then I have a problem with that.

Maybe there is a conversation to be had about the surrounding context of how common straight relationships vs. queer relationships are in video game fiction and if that affects how people should respond to shipping like this, but as of now, I'm not going to fault someone for fantasizing about two characters being involved with each other.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Blame the game itself ?

They meet for 5 minutes and they are supposedly getting that close all of a sudden.

The ending does look like they fancy each other.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
????????????????????????????????????????WHAT ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Imma ship Hobbes x question mark. There's obviously something going on between these two.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA

Its the internet dont act shocked this is super common

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Lol oh boy be prepared. But yeah op people ship all the time, is like a new wave or some new thing. Shippers are a thing and is the worst.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
ITT OP discovers shipping.

Orientation has never been a limitation for the hardcore fans.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my sweet summer child.
...What?

There are people on the Internet who don't know this?
Imma ship Hobbes x question mark. There's obviously something going on between these two.

Its the internet dont act shocked this is super common
Lol oh boy be prepared

how in the god damn fuck is shipping SIBLINGS. LITERAL FAMILY. A FUCKING THING.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Let me say this with all sincerity: It's adorable to see someone react like this. The part of me that could have reacted like this is long dead.
Let me ask you, brother Hobbes: Have you ever heard of this really obscure, unknown show called "Supernatural"?

Main character doesn't have a hot rival to fuck? They gotta fuck their hot siblings. It's just science, someone is about to get fucked, and it has to be tragic/forbidden in some way.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
People are weird as fuck bro

tenor.gif

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever heard of this really obscure, unknown show called "Supernatural"?

.... I had an ex girlfriend who was obsessed with that show ...

and fandom....

no. no. no no no no no. no. NO. do not tell me that she probably was shipping those brothers or whatever the fuck they are. no. noooomajsdfgkl; alsdjk;g jasdfgkl;a;sdfkl' i hate this thread.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

and fandom....

no. no. no no no no no. no. NO. do not tell me that she probably was shipping those brothers or whatever the fuck they are. no. noooomajsdfgkl; alsdjk;g jasdfgkl;a;sdfkl' i hate this thread.

Millennials are killing shipping (and Supernatural) for Hobbes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

It gets worse. I've seen far too much of the internet.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

First thing that comes to my mind is Supernatural.

Fan bases and shippers over all are very fucking weird. They grasp straws at the smallest things and ship characters together. Tbh it also leads to somewhat toxic communities depending on the show.

OP you have a right to feel how you feel but shippers always do this shit. It's annoying but... yea it's a thing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

and fandom....

Hope you never encounter Gravity Falls fandom...

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

and fandom....

Yes, and they call it Wincest for their last name Winchester. They're disgusting, and "fandom" is the worst in all things.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Man hobbes.

Every show comic movie game cartoon etc.
If it has hot sexy ppl the ppl watchin wanna see em fuck.
There are no rules just hot people fuckin

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

and fandom....

To put your mind at ease, people also like shipping them with other characters, like their angelic sidekick.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuut also, theres like many thousands of these:

They call it "Wincest", you know. Because their last name is Winchester. And because to them, incest is "win". Welcome to hell.
I did watch the show, though, and I gotta admit it was pretty funny when the characters meet people who ship them, and are like "wtf are you doing". If I recall correctly. It's been forever.

Have you heard of a show called Kiss X Sis?
Or I Can't Believe My Little Sister Can Be This Cute?
Or... I'm sure there are more things in this vein, but I don't actually know any of the top of my head?
I feel like that's a different situation. Equally horrifying, yes, but those properties are basically about that kind of stuff, no? The Supernatural shit started as nothing but fanfiction.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda gross writing this off as just shipping seeing as the idea that a lesbian just hasn;t met the right guy is incredibly harmful leading to things like "corrective" rape.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Without hearing that dialog, I thought her and Cal was going to be a thing too, glad it's not though and they are just friends.