• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I always thought the series was more memorable for its gunfight cinematography (and the interplay with martial arts in between) tbh

Max Payne 1/2 with mods, basically.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying for a new Matrix game, but not a fighting game. A mix of Max Payne and Nier Automata in an open world would be awesome.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think I would rather have a 2.5D fighter in a similar vein to the recent Mortal Kombat's rather than 3D like Tekken.

What I find crazy is how WB is still sitting on this IP and have not yet tried to resurrect it in any way.

They have tried on several occasions, I'm sure TV series and more films have been planned.
There is a new film in pre-production, but that is likely to turn into nothing again

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't WB just port Enter the Matrix and Path of Neo to switch?

They were decent games. We get 4K re-releases but they can't republish to another game platform?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An interesting thread, but your post is all about content for the game...unfortunately making games is generally a business, and making licenced games is ALWAYS a business.

Cost of matrix licence > expected profit from "yet another fighting game"

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh not enough style differences between the characters. It would have been pretty bland.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
god. it'd be the most black and white lineup of characters ever to grace a fighting game. lol

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Makes perfect sense that there wasn't, fighting games weren't very popular at that time, their time had passed (and they've not yet been ressurected during Matrix's popularity).

It could work today in the Injustice / MK style, with a story mode. Would play.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see both a prequel AND a sequel but this time a new team is formed and it shows what happens to the Matrix after Neo's sacrifice.

I just rewatched the first one. Blew my mind how mind-opening it was, since I never understood it as a kid. Reloaded and Revolutions are good just for the action alone.
How are they going to write a sequel and not give away the fact that humans were never freed by the machines?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? It would be the most boring fighter I could think of.

A bunch of not visually distinct characters fighting very similarly doesn't sound fun.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly generic looking fighters with virtually the same combat moves.

I dunno, seems like the opposite of what a good fighting game offers.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix was a franchise that I feel like should have had a bigger splash in the video game world. It definitely didn't help that the first two games were partnered with Atari during a run where they weren't really putting out good games.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
thinking about this some more i think it could work, but it would need to be completely detached from the films and i'm not sure how appealing that would be to the masses.

the "matrix" would essentially only serve as context to gravity defying special moves, or higher than normal jumps, or speed or slo-mo etc of which all characters take advantage of with unique finishers etc. but i think you'd need an entirely fresh cast of characters for it to work, all designed uniquely. non of this black suits, black shades stuff. there could even be some more matrix integration in the form of combat style switches mid fight. where you can effectively "download" the ability to fight in a specific style (complete with effect and animation maybe?), i'm thinking something akin to the style switching seen in the PS2 mortal kombat games.

i think that would work as a matrix themed fighter. but i think if enter the matrix proved anything, it's that people didn't care for a game simply set in the matrix, they want neo...and so i'd imagine they wouldn't care much for a fighter comprised of unknown original characters that just happened to be jacked into the matrix and fighting in cool ways.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
You must have missed the second half of my first sentence in that post. I mentioned a sequel.
I didn't, I'm just saying that a sequel is going to be very difficult to write and not give completely away the fact that the Matrix is multilayered (which is something a lot of people failed to grasp). Zion doesn't really exist is not something most people understood

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
A bunch of people in suits and black leather fighting in green tinted concrete stages? I dunno man...
Lol call it a period piece game based in the edgy 2000s.

There's just not enough characters and not enough eccentricities in their fighting styles. I'd only allow it if the og actors were involved with the voice acting just to see what happens.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Damn - I've never realized I wanted something so much. You're highlighted stages really pushed me over the edge.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Matrix characters outside of The Animatrix are too drab and monotone to make for an interesting fighting game roster. Being visually stimulating is an important part of building a roster for a fighter and as varied as the personalities on display are, the vast majority are someone in black or white possibly with some highlights in another color with few exceptions.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
He definitely didn't have that freedom in 3 compared to 1 and 2. The trainman literally kept him on the train until Morpheus and Trinity rescued him. I'd say he was nerfed a bit in 3. And I think Trinity's death kept him from fighting Smith at his fullest.

He wasn't in the main matrix software/server when that happened- he was in a waystation between the matrix and the machine world. The Trainman was a program given absolute sovereignty over that domain.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I didn't, I'm just saying that a sequel is going to be very difficult to write and not give completely away the fact that the Matrix is multilayered (which is something a lot of people failed to grasp). Zion doesn't really exist is not something most people understood

Uhhhh...that's not actually true. Zion is real. MWAM (Matrix with a matrix) was not the direction the series took. It was just a popular theory after reloaded for why Neo was able to take out the sentinels.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever play this silly little flash game you could play two player in your keyboard? It was a fighting game basically the matrix.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh...that's not actually true. Zion is real. MWAM (Matrix with a matrix) was not the direction the series took. It was just a popular theory after reloaded for why Neo was able to take out the sentinels.
Zion beeing real doesn't jive with how the movies are presented at all. A matrix within the matrix has always been the most logical measure a system preventing its collapse would take.

There are many elements within all 3 movies attesting to this and the sentinels isn't the most important one (it's actually just a tiny one)

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Zion beeing real doesn't jive with how the movies are presented at all. A matrix within the matrix has always been the most logical measure a system preventing its collapse would take.

There are many elements within all 3 movies attesting to this and the sentinels isn't the most important one (it's actually just a tiny one)

Eh...I'd love to hear specifics, but I think it would actually introduce unnecessary incoherence. Certainly, the widespread understanding of the trilogy (among people who cared- not joe schmo) was that Zion was real and an intentional means of dealing with inevitable rebellion in a way that would eventually solve for it. Moreover, the movies themselves explain the sentinel bit- from the words of the oracle no doubt- so if you're right, either she's lying (which she doesn't really do- mislead maybe but not outright lie) or she doesn't know.

Debating this is making me feel like a college freshman wasting time on Last Free City forums again :P

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh...I'd love to hear specifics, but I think it would actually introduce unnecessary incoherence. Certainly, the widespread understanding of the trilogy (among people who cared- not joe schmo) was that Zion was real and an intentional means of dealing with inevitable rebellion in a way that would eventually solve for it. Moreover, the movies themselves explain the sentinel bit- from the words of the oracle no doubt- so if you're right, either she's lying (which she doesn't really do- mislead maybe but not outright lie) or she doesn't know.

Debating this is making me feel like a college freshman wasting time on Last Free City forums again :P
There are many subtle clues and yes The Oracle is one of the safeguards within the Matrix to ensure proper human control. But I'm going to name a few :

- Both the Oracle and the Architect are driven by their survival, neither are rogue programs and neither are looking for an end, they are merely safeguards to ensure that humans who refuse the deeper level of the matrix can feel a sense of escape by reaching the second (of probably 3) layer. The best way to control is to give an illusion of choice and escapability (nothing should be rigid per se)
- if you watch closely, the different layers have different color codes. Within the first layer, the code is in green (secure environment). The second layer is orange/yellow (risky environment in hacking terms), so the third layer should be red code (for high risk, severe breach, and so on)
- there are gateways between layers, which is akin to having links between different environments (pardon my french). If Zion was real and Neo escapes to the real world, then taking a train shouldn't enable him to reach the real world, just change layers within the simulation.
- Smith going to the following layer by infesting a human. This shouldn't be possible since the human is biological, there's nothing for Smith to execute code on to « possess » and corrupt
- Neo controlling the sentinels which shouldn't again be possible because he has no link to them... unless he's within the simulation... which leads to
- Neo sees the « real world » as a coded environment, accrediting the notion that he's within the Matrix itself
- The exchange between the Oracle and the Architect hints at humans not beeing free after all
- Zion's archive paints the humans as the sole culprits of this whole ordeal and lays all the blame on them, which makes absolutely no sense unless the Matrix controls what they are « taught »
- The one's existence leading the « unconnected » to actually have hope of defeating the machines and reclaiming their world

I could go on :p

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think a Matrix fighting game makes sense or ever made sense at all. Imagine a fighting game with:

• Largely homogenous character design (fashion wise)
  • Fighters with largely homogenous fighting styles outside of maybe a few weapons

There would be a few standout characters like the Ghost twins but otherwise that doesn't sound good at all. The franchise slots way more in to an action game.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
There are many subtle clues and yes The Oracle is one of the safeguards within the Matrix to ensure proper human control. But I'm going to name a few :
It's still nothing more then a glorified fan theory. Even if that was the intention to be garnered from the trilogy a sequel could very easily ignore it since it's not something the general audience would even be aware of anyways.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018

- Both the Oracle and the Architect are driven by their survival, neither are rogue programs and neither are looking for an end, they are merely safeguards to ensure that humans who refuse the deeper level of the matrix can feel a sense of escape by reaching the second (of probably 3) layer. The best way to control is to give an illusion of choice and escapability (nothing should be rigid per se) ### I see no evidence that the Oracle isn't looking for a change/end. In fact, she makes a very dangerous gamble in helping Neo to forge peace with the machines.
- if you watch closely, the different layers have different color codes. Within the first layer, the code is in green (secure environment). The second layer is orange/yellow (risky environment in hacking terms), so the third layer should be red code (for high risk, severe breach, and so on) ### The chief colors we get are Green (Matrix) and Blue (Real World). There's nothing here to explicitly denote any third color as part of a continuum like you're describing. Random link, but this is a very plausible take on color in the trilogy: https://sockrotation.com/2013/07/26/colour-and-meaning-in-the-matrix-universe/
- there are gateways between layers, which is akin to having links between different environments (pardon my french). If Zion was real and Neo escapes to the real world, then taking a train shouldn't enable him to reach the real world, just change layers within the simulation. ### The train would take his mental "software" to the source software/OS or back to the matrix. Nobody is talking about the physical world at this point. Mind and body are in very different places.
- Smith going to the following layer by infesting a human. This shouldn't be possible since the human is biological, there's nothing for Smith to execute code on to « possess » and corrupt ### People have gone back and forth on this one, but I've always figured that the firmware in the human jacks is extensive enough that corrupting/controlling that would give the invader agency over the subject itself. Looking online, that seems to be the consensus opinion.
- Neo controlling the sentinels which shouldn't again be possible because he has no link to them... unless he's within the simulation... which leads to ### but the Oracle explains this one:
ORACLE: The power of the One extends beyond this world. It reaches from here all the way back to where it came from.
NEO: Where?
ORACLE: The Source. That's what you felt when you touched those Sentinels. But you weren't ready for it.

- Neo sees the « real world » as a coded environment, accrediting the notion that he's within the Matrix itself ### he just sees the machines as code- not the rest of the world. This is due to the wireless connection he has with the source
- The exchange between the Oracle and the Architect hints at humans not beeing free after all ### he says that the others that want out will be freed, ie the folks that know that sense they are in the matrix but haven't been freed by the rebels. Essentially, humanity has a choice now to leave the matrix, but the machines aren't going to pack the whole thing up and just dump everyone out.
- Zion's archive paints the humans as the sole culprits of this whole ordeal and lays all the blame on them, which makes absolutely no sense unless the Matrix controls what they are « taught » ### it makes complete sense as explained in the animatrix. The machines make all kinds of overtures towards peace, but humanity, in aggregate, is unwilling to cooperate or treat them with anything approaching equality.
- The one's existence leading the « unconnected » to actually have hope of defeating the machines and reclaiming their world ### not sure what you're getting at here. Neo may have some firmware granted to him by the machines that make him the one or he may just be an inevitable presence in the matrix. He is not, himself, a complete construct of the machines.

I could go on :p

Eh- i'm not convinced- see my comments above. Is it impossible? no. But I don't think the explanation makes the best use of the evidence.

Plus- the Matrix functions very intentionally as gnostic allegory. There's no mistaking The Oracle as Sophia and The Architect as The Demiurge. Escaping the false world of the matrix and re-uniting/establishing peace with the machines of the physical world dovetails in perfectly with the eschatology of gnostic myth. Sophia/Wisdom (Oracle) is the one that tries to usher the wisdom of humanity out of the false world. The Demiurge (Architect), who created the false/bad world, tries to prevent this from happening. On multiple levels, MWAM would undermine this allegory.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
guys guys guys

The boring character design element is not even a big deal because they would obviously include multiple outfits for each character plus color swaps. They could probably even do some sort of fashion creator like an MMO has where you can customize and choose outfits and color schemes.

there could even be some more matrix integration in the form of combat style switches mid fight. where you can effectively "download" the ability to fight in a specific style (complete with effect and animation maybe?), i'm thinking something akin to the style switching seen in the PS2 mortal kombat games.

Yes, that is an amazing idea. If you could change martial arts styles mid-fight (kung fu, aikido, karate, etc) and even implement some sort of gun fu combat with pistols, smgs, rifles, etc. and each style would have different moves and specials depending on which character you choose it would definitly solve the "everyone fights the same" criticism.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh- i'm not convinced- see my comments above. Is it impossible? no. But I don't think the explanation makes the best use of the evidence.

Plus- the Matrix functions very intentionally as gnostic allegory. There's no mistaking The Oracle as Sophia and The Architect as The Demiurge. Escaping the false world of the matrix and re-uniting/establishing peace with the machines of the physical world dovetails in perfectly with the eschatology of gnostic myth. Sophia/Wisdom (Oracle) is the one that tries to usher the wisdom of humanity out of the false world. The Demiurge (Architect), who created the false/bad world, tries to prevent this from happening. On multiple levels, MWAM would undermine this allegory.
The Sophia/Demiurge allegory still works with a mwtm theory. Also the Oracle senses that Smith has corrupted the current layer and is attempting to gain control of the following one. It's a question of survival at this point. She's not taking a risk, she's acting out for her own gains. This is prety reccurent in the whole trilogy going back to the first movie. She actually warns him in the first one.

Also the Oracle could also be seen as the one controlling the Matrix database (like... Oracle.. :p) and the Architect as the database supervisor.

When Neo meets the Architect, he is warned that they are willing to go to levels beyond his imagination to ensure their survival, they are not going to lay down gently into the night and his very existence is by design.

I'm willing to bet we'll never have a clear answer on this and I actually enjoy the subconscious levels in the trilogy enough to keep it that way (unlike say.. Star Wars lore).

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gimme that old school BioWare RPG feel set in The Matrix and we golden.

That or something batshit crazy from Platinum Games.

Oh man, I'd love a BioWare Matrix RPG if it could be given enough depth. Lately I've been craving an RPG with a focus on martial arts, and that would be pretty close to fitting the bill.

Platinum would be a good choice too. They're probably one of the only companies who could nail the feeling of action from the movies.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
A bunch og edgelords, suits and bums and everything being so dark doesn't make for a great looking fighting game

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
He wasn't in the main matrix software/server when that happened- he was in a waystation between the matrix and the machine world. The Trainman was a program given absolute sovereignty over that domain.

I forgot about that. I should probably rewatch the 3rd one.

The Sophia/Demiurge allegory still works with a mwtm theory. Also the Oracle senses that Smith has corrupted the current layer and is attempting to gain control of the following one. It's a question of survival at this point. She's not taking a risk, she's acting out for her own gains. This is prety reccurent in the whole trilogy going back to the first movie. She actually warns him in the first one.

Also the Oracle could also be seen as the one controlling the Matrix database (like... Oracle.. :p) and the Architect as the database supervisor.

When Neo meets the Architect, he is warned that they are willing to go to levels beyond his imagination to ensure their survival, they are not going to lay down gently into the night and his very existence is by design.

I'm willing to bet we'll never have a clear answer on this and I actually enjoy the subconscious levels in the trilogy enough to keep it that way (unlike say.. Star Wars lore).

When did Oracle warn Neo about Smith in the first movie? I don't recall that ever happening. I think she may have mentioned Smith in the 2nd movie when they were in the park, but as far as I know, I don't remember hearing that in the first. and I could have sworn Zion was the real world, since if it WAS still within the Matrix, Neo would still be able to do the things he does in the main Matrix. Doesn't make sense how if Zion isn't real, he couldn't still be superhuman outside the main Matrix network.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that. I should probably rewatch the 3rd one.

When did Oracle warn Neo about Smith in the first movie? I don't recall that ever happening. I think she may have mentioned Smith in the 2nd movie when they were in the park, but as far as I know, I don't remember hearing that in the first. and I could have sworn Zion was the real world, since if it WAS still within the Matrix, Neo would still be able to do the things he does in the main Matrix. Doesn't make sense how if Zion isn't real, he couldn't still be superhuman outside the main Matrix network.
Not about smith

About herself

Neo realises he can do things in the Zion universe at the end of the second movie. The Matrix within the Matrix safeguard goes with the fact that Zion's inhabitants believe they are free from it and thus can't act within the ruleset or bend that ruleset within it (unlike the green coded one).

You'd have to think you're still a captive to act as someone trying to bend « reality »

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
despite martial arts being part of the movies, the general populi associate the matrix more with gun play than anything, so i assume that's why no one ever thought it should have a dedicated fighting game.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Not about smith

About herself

Neo realises he can do things in the Zion universe at the end of the second movie. The Matrix within the Matrix safeguard goes with the fact that Zion's inhabitants believe they are free from it and thus can't act within the ruleset or bend that ruleset within it (unlike the green coded one).

You'd have to think you're still a captive to act as someone trying to bend « reality »

I thought that was in the 3rd movie when he grabbed a pole, twirled it similar to what he did against the mob of Smith's in Reloaded? But you're probably right, I need to re-watch both movies to understand it better.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
We had one. There is a VS game hidden with enter the matrix accessible via hacking minigames. There are also cars characters