• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I wanted to give Bright Memory a spin on Series X since well it's cheap. Jumping in to the menus, I was really surprised to see the amount you could change. FOV as well in a different menu. It's taken years to get an FOV slider in games like COD and Destiny, and this game basically lets do what you want. Now I know it's not to the same level as a lot of PC games but it's way more than console games ever get.

YwapvL7.jpg

Could we see more of this in the future on console or do you think will still see pre set modes like graphical or performance.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Oh, hell no. We all have the exact same hardware. Tell us the optimal settings. I play console games to get away from my stupid "the grass is always greener" brain on PC stuff where I play with settings for an hour to try and get the best setup.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Oh, hell no. We all have the exact same hardware. Tell us the optimal settings. I play console games to get away from my stupid "the grass is always greener" brain on PC stuff where I play with settings for an hour to try and get the best setup.

this tbh. choices between visuals and performance + fov slider is enough.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

You're not forced to tweak.

There are no optimal settings as switch ports prove.

I like that devs get away from some facets of pc space but this isn't a good one to avoid considering it can get in the way of IQ or performance decisions that quite frankly a dev doesn't decide for me nor has any business.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
This is me

I'd rather they optimise a few options as we are getting. One reason among many for gaming on console is I get it and it just works

I see what you mean OP, but I see it as possibly the opposite.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017

If all PS4 games had basic options like resolution and frame rate unlocker, the compatibility on PS5 would have been ideal for every game.

Options are good, although some of the ones on the OT game probably make little sense for a console game.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
... What's the point? Console have one hardware, those exists because every PC is fundamentally different.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

This.

These types of settings exist solely to accommodate the vast diversity of available PC hardware. Fixed hardware doesn't need this shit.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont need to touch it but option bad, am i right ?!

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think this detracts from the game, not adds to it. They should offer us the ideal settings for performance/visuals.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Presets plus advanced settings. Problem solved.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Just make it look as good as possible for the fixed hardware it runs on and leave the tinkering for PC where hardware is variable.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope not...I like PC gaming but it can stress me out sometime when I nitpick over little settings to get an extra 2 fps. Consoles remove that option which I like.

I think Cinematic (30fps\High Resolution) vs Performance (60+fps\Variable Resolution) is as far as graphics options should go on consoles.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Meh. This kind of granularity to me just speaks more of a lack of optimisation for the target platform rather than actually enabling sought-after features. For example what's the point of having a texture setting? You know exactly how much VRAM this will be running on, it should simply set that to the max the S/X can handle respectively.

I'm all for 'Image Quality/Performance' modes, and things like unlocked/locked framerates and other aspects that some people find annoying, such as chromatic abberation/motion blur. But going down into aspects like Anisotropic filtering and SSAO will do nothing but confuse your typical gamer and are just not necessary in a platform with a whopping two configurations.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
If all PS4 games had basic options like resolution and frame rate unlocker, the compatibility on PS5 would have been ideal for every game.

Options are good, although some of the ones on the OT game probably make little sense for a console game.

Well, they do in the case of Backwards Compatibility and essentially make the game future proof without needing a patch. It's the same with Star Ocean Last Hope, where you can tweak various setting and some of them will make the game run worse... but on PS5/Series X it just runs flawlessly with everything maxed out.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Options are the best, being able to choose FoV over a little performance or a little graphics options are great, give me more PC like settings please devs but leave presets for those who want it simple.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I... honestly don't understand why people are so upset about having MORE options?

Like, the default settings are the "optimal" settings for console, but the game lets you mess around with stuff if you want to. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bright Memory's that game that's made by like one guy and looks impossibly good for that developer size, yeah?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I like the visuals of 30fps and the response of 60fps. I can't wait to dive in and dial in my settings with a ton of back and forth testing and spinning in circles getting that perfect 45fps middle ground. 🤌🏼

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I guess I'm one of the few that sees this as a good thing.
I don't think there's anything wrong with this? Increasing the FoV slider is already a huge option, and weren't people complaining about the aggressive chromatic aberration in Bloodborne? Motion blur is also a feature that some/most games will not let you disable.

I think developers should have recommended settings for graphical fidelity vs high frame rate performance but they should also allow to tinker with things deeper.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Opening up the options menu and seeing anything aside from invert Y axis and just getting SO. GODDAMN. ANNOYED.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I like having options. As long as presets are provided for those that don't want to tinker, I don't see the problem.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020

+1

rarely will i argue against options but a big part of the reason i game on consoles is the "it just works" mentality. I don't even know what antisropic filtering is and i don't want to know either. but i do kind of like what i'm seeing on ps5 and series x with:
- fidelity mode
- performance mode

it seems to me to be a good balance between resolving the conflict between the mass market that just wants a good looking game and the internet mob that thinks 60 fps actually matters..

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine if this picks up, you'll simply just have presets along with fine choices like in the OP. It'll probably take a few seconds of your time.

I don't see why having more options is a bad thing.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Options are always welcome.
Just let the default settings be what would be if there were no options.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
What? Even on PC there's always presets (low, medium, high) you can choose from. Worst case scenario you can always just pick those and take the frame rate you like best, but today a lot of games automatically pick settings based on your PC hardware, and for those that don't there's tools like NVIDIA experience that identify the best options for your hardware for a lot of games.

Plus if a company really wants on a console they could do this and then make a 30fps and 60fps preset, maybe even 120fps depending on the game, and then have an advanced options menu.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
This. Dev had a vision, show me what that vision is. At most I like choosing at a high level like performance/visual modes.

OP
OP
Rocketz

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just give me a "Shiny, but at 30fps" mode and a "Less shiny, but 60fps" mode and I'm all good.

This sort of granularity makes me break out in cold sweats when I do the PC Gaming thing.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yeah, exactly. I do not want to fiddle with optimization on consoles.

I guess some options aren't a bad thing, but they damn well better be cosmetic and not effect any performance.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I guess I'm one of the few that sees this as a good thing.
I don't think there's anything wrong with this? Increasing the FoV slider is already a huge option, and weren't people complaining about the aggressive chromatic aberration in Bloodborne? Motion blur is also a feature that some/most games will not let you disable.

I think developers should have recommended settings for graphical fidelity vs high frame rate performance but they should also allow to tinker with things deeper.

Even on PC, there'a generic presets and only those who want to squeeze every frame possible, go setting by setting.

Honestly any type of setting that affects lighting or blurring is an accessibility setting (photosensitive) for me hence why I stopped buying consoles altogether since I can't tweak these settings on console.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
this game was unoptimized as hell during the Xbox Series preview period, I gotta go back and retest. that they left PC style sliders in there almost feels like they threw their hands up and said, "I dunno, you figure it out"

Nov 1, 2017
I also prefer having the settings curated and optimized but since we're now getting "Performance" and "Visual" modes in a few games, having a full set of options just seems like the end goal.

Also, ELI5 but why wouldn't you always have your FOV slider set to max? I've been told the performance impact is negligible and I don't see why someone would want it narrow.

What? Even on PC there's always presets (low, medium, high) you can choose from. Worst case scenario you can always just pick those and take the frame rate you like best, but today a lot of games automatically pick settings based on your PC hardware, and for those that don't there's tools like NVIDIA experience that identify the best options for your hardware for a lot of games.

Plus if a company really wants on a console they could do this and then make a 30fps and 60fps preset, maybe even 120fps depending on the game, and then have an advanced options menu.
Anecdotally, those settings provide a good base but there's often some tinkering still needed to get what you can while maintaining your target frame rate. I agree that throwing all those features under an "Advanced" tab or sub menu is the best of both worlds.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do some of you have such little imagination that you can't imagine the presets being exactly as bespoke and simple as they are in games now but with the addition of these options, complete with them being clearly communicated as "ADVANCED" and buried a bit deeper in the menus?

or can you imagine that and that's actually, genuinely a detracting thing for you and not a Platform Wars stance?

OP
OP
Rocketz

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
this game was unoptimized as hell during the Xbox Series preview period, I gotta go back and retest. that they left PC style sliders in there almost feels like they threw their hands up and said, "I dunno, you figure it out"
It feels like they just gave you the PC version but kinda bolted on controller support and let you at it.