• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I've watched the Demon Souls trailer probably over 15 times by now and its just a beautiful looking game. Its definitely the best looking gameplay I've seen of anything next gen so far and its funny to think that very likely it will look better and be a better performing game than anything From Software will release through all of the next generation. When I used to have friends in the industry 3 years ago I can't tell you how many of them told me they heard Sony JP was developing a sequel to Bloodborne. Now that so much time has passed I'm assuming major changes have happened regarding its future but it would make a lot of sense that if Demon Souls is a success and gets the stamp of approval from most of us that their first new IP would be a sequel to the next game. At least that is what I really hope happens. They would definitely have to bring on Hidetaka Miyazaki as some type of consultant because Bloodbornes brilliance is definitely locked away in that mans beautiful mind. A real test will be to see if whatever changes Bluepoint makes to Demon Souls proper are actually improvements or not

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's is much smaller and more segmented than just about any other modern From game though. Not to take away anything from BP's amazing work but they have a lot of advantages working on Demon's that From dont have with their larger, more open and connected games nowadays

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
On a technical level, yeah probably. From never really chased high end graphics and put their time more into art direction etc. to make the visuals pop.

I expect great things from their art team next gen, this time without bad framepacing ... hopefully.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Their games ran great for me on PC.
As for look better - What makes FROM's games stand out is the artistic choices and vision more than anything else, I'm quite sure their next games will continue to stand out visually.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it would look better. I mean, Demon Souls looks amazing, but it's just making what From came up with look better on a console a decade removed from their original art direction.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Their games ran great for me on PC.
As for look better - What makes FROM's games stand out is the artistic choices and vision more than anything else, I'm quite sure their next games will continue to stand out visually.
Only after heavy modifications and community effort. Although I think DS 3 ran ok on PC.

Jul 20, 2020
Lets see if it plays as well, the gameplay in DS, BB & Sekiro are bar none. If Bluepoint can recreate that props to them.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine a Bloodborne remake by bluepoint .
I love from software content but technically they are not very good.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
I really love fromsoft but I'm really excited to see blueprint do bloodborne. The long coats, the boots, puddles, oh and the blood. Would be amazing to see bloody footprints after walking in a puddle of blood, see bandages flap in the wind.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
How is that ironic?

ironic
[ ahy-ron-ik ]

adjective
  1. using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony:an ironic novel; an ironic remark.
  2. of, relating to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.
  3. coincidental; unexpected:It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I mean, after Sekiro and cooperation with Activision I'm pretty sure they stepped up their "technical" game. Maybe it will not be as technically impressive as Demon's Souls, but I'm pretty sure they will make up with art direction

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped about Demon's Souls as well.

The only small thing that sorta makes me question what I'm looking at is how it doesn't look at oppressive as the OG game. However, I'd have to see more of the game, namely World 3 and 5.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Demon's will look significantly better than any From Software game released within the next ten years or so (even though Sekiro shows they're improving a lot), but still, their art department is what will always make the real difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a PS5 game and it's a purely graphical update (with none of the increased scale or complexity of the Soulsbourne games since) of an 11 year old game

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure its an entirely fair comparison as we don't know how From Software games will perform on the PS5 yet?

The Demon's Souls remake was targeting the PS5 hardware spec without need to work on anything else like say the OG Xbox One. From Software never really had that opportunity outside of Bloodborne to target a specific hardware spec, but even then comparing the PS4's specs to the PS5... I don't know.

Ancillary question: do we know what engine Bluepoint is using?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know about that From have excellent art direction and will have some beautiful games. Still kinda shocked Demon's Soul is the next gen benchmark for next gen visuals though.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring/Trolling
man you guys really have to justify that 500 dollar box somehow

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
On a technical level, yeah probably. From never really chased high end graphics and put their time more into art direction etc. to make the visuals pop.

I expect great things from their art team next gen, this time without bad framepacing ... hopefully.
They kind of did with the Dark Souls 2 pre release stuff showing awesome lighting though right?

I don't know what Elden Ring will look like but going by how long it's taking to show I hope it's next gen and I hope it looks and run amazingly well on PC. Also I hope the game is great because I would like a reason to play it too.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a Bloodborne remake by bluepoint .
I love from software content but technically they are not very good.
Before I gave them a try, I thought From games looked like 3rd party shovelware. I didn't see the deeper appeal until I actually played one for myself, but the early games were not lookers.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If by "look better" you mean purely the fidelity of the graphics and how expensive they look, sure.

If you mean the aesthetic and art design, then lmao noooooo.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
From's games are pretty unattractive, at least as far as image quality is concerned. There's no shortage of games that look better than them. But people really ain't playing them for the looks. If Demon's Souls doesn't nail the feel, people are going to roast the game to high heaven.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, a next-gen only game looks better than games released years ago on the X360/PS3 and X1/PS4.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
How is that ironic?

ironic
[ ahy-ron-ik ]

adjective
  1. using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony:an ironic novel; an ironic remark.
  2. of, relating to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.
  3. coincidental; unexpected:It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

I find it unexpected that a developer doing a remake of another companies game will make a better performing better looking version that will likely outshine all other games the developer creates.

Yes, a next-gen only game looks better than games released years ago on the X360/PS3 and X1/PS4.

It's ironic that a 2020 game will look better than games released in prior years on weaker hardware?

How do you both come to this conclusion based on these sentences?
"...will probably look better and have better performance than any FS game released next gen"
"...From Software will release through all of the next generation."

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Software games always look like ass in spite of great art direction.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Well it is on ps5. None of From's games have been on ps5 yet, and ER is current gen. We're gonna have to wait a couple more years for them to show a game not constrained by current gen

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't seen anything from FROM since Sekiro, except for a brief cinematic trailer for Elden Ring, which if announced for anything was announced for current/last gen hardware. How can you compare this to something that doesn't exist yet?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any information about gameplay changes or additional content? It looks great and getting rid of the load times is a huge pro (hated them in the original version), but I always felt like Demon's Souls was weaker than the follow-up games so I'm hoping there are other major improvements besides just graphics & load times.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The recent trailer side-by-side with the original actually makes it seem faithful at least for the layout of the levels with better geometry/graphics on top of things. Dragon God could really end up being the same boss fight but better looking which could be disappointing, the real scope of additions is yet to reveal itself. ER and Froms future games will be bigger and more open than DeS, and art direction wise Sekiro and BB are pretty damn good productions. In terms of pure quality i doubt they'll surpass Bluepoint.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I expect by the end of this upcoming gen to have FROM games that are both artistically and technically ahead of Demon's Souls, considering that's a launch game.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it unexpected that a developer doing a remake of another companies game will make a better performing better looking version that will likely outshine all other games the developer creates.

"...will probably look better and have better performance than any FS game released next gen"

i really dont understand why people dont get it is "Ironic"

do they know from has nothing to do with the Remake?

kingPaPi

Mar 28, 2018
Nyc/LA
till this day I have not been able to get into Bloodborne

All the aliasing and the terrible frame pacing really messes with me.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

It'd be unexpected if an 11 year old game being remade on a PS5 looked worse than the original.