• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Time flies, doesn't it?

We're very quickly nearing the last quarter of the final year in the 2010s, a decade that to me just seemed like it already started. The year 2010 itself was smack dab in the middle of the PS3/360/Wii generation and, looking back, was a really good year for games. Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty: Black Ops, NieR, Xenoblade Chronicles, Danganronpa, Super Meat Boy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Amnesia all released that year and we're all absolutely stunning games, some considered the best to have ever been made.

A lot has happened since then. We saw the monumental rise of From Software as one of the most significant developers in the industry with the release of Dark Souls in 2011.
bb1v7c4aarrnxvxcohuz.jpg

Possibly the most successful indie game ever created was a horror game about animatronic puppets.
header.jpg

We saw the rise(?) And fall of Microsoft's Kinect, god rest it's soul.
dims

The Last of Us became one of the most critically acclaimed games ever created and pushed boundaries for storytelling in gaming.
the_last_of_us.0.png

The firing of Hideo Kojima by Konami that effectively completely 180'd the public view of the company and become one of the most publicly well-known controversies in the industry.
55058UNILAD-imageoptim-FacebookThumbnailsplit.jpg

And the absolute market dominating rise of the Battle Royale genre and Fortnite.
fortnite-hero%20-%20edited.jpg

Now, nearing the end of 2019, let's look at some of the significant happenings of recent. In 2019, we saw the illegalization of loot boxes in several countries, the launch of and controversy surrounding the Epic Games Store, and most recently we're beginning to see the potential rise of subscription based gaming with Apple Arcade.

I don't really know how to end this write up which ended being longer than anticipated, but over the course of writing this I've realised just how much has changed in just this decade.

Last edited:

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta talk about the emergence of games as a service too. Gaming industry won't be the same with DLC and piecemeal development.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
DayZ mod, Rust, Halo Reach, Black Ops, Halo 5, and Rainbow Six: Siege were big highlights for me over this last decade. PUBG and Apex were fun for a few weeks but I never really got into BR.

This decade had a lot of innovation but not too many games I enjoy very much. Rainbow Six Siege is a game I never stopped playing so I'm thankful for that and Ubisoft's dedication to the game.

I am also thankful for the DayZ mod and Rust for getting me to dive headfirst into PC gaming. I feel bad for the people I played with during the days of the DayZ mod because for a while I only had a shitty Toshiba laptop and could barely help out my crews in most situations.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
2010 to 2013 in particular was a fucking stellar time-frame, even as an 'in-between generations' period.

As an RPG gamer, I reckon I'll be forever replaying the likes of Alpha Protocol, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect 2, Nier and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in the decade to come.

Also really weird and fun titles like Binary Domain, Deadly Premonition and Vanquish.

The latter half of this decade has been dominated by basically one game for me: Rainbow Six Siege. My god, what a turnaround.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep released Jan 9, 2010. The memories I have waiting for this game still feel like it was yesterday. Rewatching the final Jump Festa trailer and the TV commercial are my favorite. While certain individuals knew nothing and just kept complaining about wanting KH3, I was waiting for this game because it was the next numbered title game: Episode 0. Nomura compared it to a numbered Final Fantasy game (and KH1 and 2), and he wasn't joking. It delivered and became my favorite KH game. Also, the waifu Aqua. :) What a time 2010 was.

91kiURQfr2L._SY445_.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing Red Dead Redemption 1 back in 2010. It still feels like it was only a few summers ago.

Where has my life gone?

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This statement is the equivalent of calling The Winter Soldier a "political thriller" that elevates superhero movies beyond what they are.

It's not.
I will agree that the game is overrated and its influence is a tad bit exaggerated, but it certainly is on the level of "one of the most influential games of the decade".

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will agree that the game is overrated and its influence is a tad bit exaggerated, but it certainly is on the level of "one of the most influential games of the decade".

I suppose it's influential in the sense that someone made a game that tried really hard to be a movie, but there's like one, maybe two scenes in TLOU's story that take advantage of the inherent interactivity provided by games.

TLOU has more in common with film to me, and I didn't think it was a particularly good movie. It separates its gameplay elements from the story way too much (chief among them Ellie, who is a non-entity in gameplay but of vital importance in story mode) so it has to rely on its narrative and... well it did nothing for me.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's influential in the sense that someone made a game that tried really hard to be a movie, but there's like one, maybe two scenes in TLOU's story that take advantage of the inherent interactivity provided by games.

TLOU has more in common with film to me, and I didn't think it was a particularly good movie. It separates its gameplay elements from the story way too much (chief among them Ellie, who is a non-entity in gameplay but of vital importance in story mode) so it has to rely on its narrative and... well it did nothing for me.
I will also add that I feel that other games, most notably God of War, aped it to the point of arguably being more influential than it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This statement is the equivalent of calling The Winter Soldier a "political thriller" that elevates superhero movies beyond what they are.

It's not.

Considering most high-profile political thrillers tend to be ridiculously chauvinistic-patriotic-nationalistic-American exceptionalist garbage, Winter Soldier actually kind of stands above them by default, which is drop-dead ironic for a Captain America movie of all things. :D

But hey, keep pushing that "nerd inferiority complex" and the narrative that mainstream movies are the epitome of storytelling. Whatever makes you feel more sophisticated and discerning than the rest of this videogame forum users.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It absolutely did, though. Negating TLOU's impact in 2019 is sad as fuck.

I disagree. It's more like TDK. It has pushed the medium forward.

It can totally be influential--and was--without "pushing the boundaries of storytelling in gaming," which is hyperbolic bullshit. This is usually the problem when discussing the influence of popular titles, because it gets exaggerated to an extreme degree solely due to its broad exposure and penetration.

I'm not saying it didn't do anything noteworthy or influential. I'm saying the language used to describe it is patently ridiculous.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It can totally be influential--and was--without "pushing the boundaries of storytelling in gaming," which is hyperbolic bullshit. This is usually the problem when discussing the influence of popular titles, because it gets exaggerated to an extreme degree solely due to its broad exposure and penetration.

I'm not saying it didn't do anything noteworthy or influential. I'm saying the language used to describe it is patently ridiculous.
The Last of Us did push the boundaries of storytelling in gaming, though. On this gen we've seen a lot of games that took inspiration on TLOU in that front.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
There is so much shit to touch on. The original Gears trilogy came to an end. Mortal Kombat 9 was released and was the first big tournament game for the studio. Tons of stuff to name. It was a fun decade.

Nov 8, 2017
The Last of Us did push the boundaries of storytelling in gaming, though. On this gen we've seen a lot of games that took inspiration on TLOU in that front.

Could you list the games that TLOU influenced in your view?

For games like CoD4 I can clearly see a lineage of imitators mechanically and narratively because there were a host of "me too" games that tried to be exactly like it. For TLOU I'm not really getting much come to mind when I try to think about what games have been predominantly, clearly inspired by it. God of War is one of the few that seems to try to do the "child figure that follows you around most of the game and you have a long slow relationship build with" thing.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
k-bigpic.jpg

2013 was a quite magical year. TLoU, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider, AC Black Flag, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Arkham Origins, Outlast, Gone Home, etc.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, no mention of Breath of the Wild yet? I know that one is more recent, but man it did a lot for me this decade.

EDIT: Was going to mention RDR2 but we had some mention of the first one. Can't believe it came out in 2010.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's rough years with the Wii U and then turning it all around with the Switch is pretty crazy. I mean I was an early adopter of both the Wii U and 3DS and man those years were tough for a bit. Now look at the Switch.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
It wasn't a hot time for Nintendo back in early 2010s. The Wii declive, the domination of waggle waggle games, so much even a Zelda game suffered because of that (Skyward Sword)... then the rough 3DS launch and to finish it off, the Wii U...

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah...gaming felt less cynical to me back then. Mostly because I was blissfully unaware with the bevy of issues in the industry.

I guess the secret to enjoying gaming is not giving too many fucks.

I really envy my BFF, he owns a PS4 and games but steers clear of gaming sites, youtube, trailers and shit.
Sometimes he asks me whether there are good games out that he should try and I always get super jealous when he admits that he's never played stuff like God of War, Witcher 3, Spiderman etc.

Like, he only plays fully patched games that have a 85+ on metacritic and he gets them for 20-30€ too.

What the hell am I doing wrong?!

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The 2010s are defined by the death of the traditional gaming industry and the rise of mobile and free-to-play GAAS. Everything else is largely noise.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, and Duke Nukem Forever came out as well.