• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Did Marvel also create knockoff of DC villains at some point?
Once or twice
2762878-nighthawk_03_page_01.jpg

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Look at all those wonderful C, D, E, F - level baddies. I wish that the MCU seed more villains into future movies and Disney+ Marvel shows so that we could do a proper Thunderbolts movie. We'll probably get FF and Xmen movies first though before them.
I know right, Flying tiger. Man creates power armor and makes it look like a College intramural mascot. But he is living his truth

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that the actor is David Harbour from Stranger Things, that's enough to make me want to watch it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Interesting. Did Marvel also create knockoff of DC villains at some point?

There are lots of rip offs (sorry, pastiches). The original Shiar Imperial Guard, for instance, was a direct knock off of Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes. Cyborg Superman was originally in a rip off of the Fantastic Four. It started with a coordinated effort between Roy Thomas and Denny O'Neil:

We haven't hit rock bottom with comic book movies until we get a serious Alpha Flight movie.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
A fa

A Pretty sick collection.

Is there any Celtic Sun/Light god in comics?

Could also be summer/fertility etc.

Belenos/Belenus is a possible name.

Based on the feast of Bealtine
Probably, every god exists in comics, that is how they play it. Some of them play double duty like Bast is also Sekmet and The Panther god

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
And Marvel not only delievers, they do it in spades

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to blow your mind OP, but in the summer 2014, we had a tentpole Captain America movie where an antagonist was a cybernetic HYDRA assassin who spoke Russian and used Russian gear to perform landmark terrorist acts in Washington DC.

Then, in the summer of 2016, that same cybernetic assassin was still on the run from Captain America and the Avengers, but also got mixed back up in a decades long plot involving cryogenically frozen Russian HYDRA agents that were administered a stolen Super Soldier serum that same assassin took after murdering Iron Man's parents just outside a military base. Strangely enough, this was all orchestrated by an obscure, arguably D-list villain hailing from an Eastern European nation.

Both of them were box office hits. And there wasn't a walking tree or talking raccoon in either of them, though it didn't keep the Guardians of the Galaxy films from being freakishly profitable summer tentpoles, either.

When they announce a Squirrel Girl movie where they somehow insert her in an adaptation Hickman's SHIELD and it's being directed by Kathryn Bigelow, we'll be at "insane."

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We sort of got Crimson Dynamo in Iron Man 2.

Vanko was a mix of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo IIRC.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to blow your mind OP, but in the summer 2014, we had a tentpole Captain America movie where an antagonist was a cybernetic HYDRA assassin who spoke Russian and used Russian gear to perform landmark terrorist acts in Washington DC.

Then, in the summer of 2016, that same cybernetic assassin was still on the run from Captain America and the Avengers, but also got mixed back up in a decades long plot involving cryogenically frozen Russian HYDRA agents that were administered a stolen Super Soldier serum that same assassin took after murdering Iron Man's parents just outside a military base. Strangely enough, this was all orchestrated by an obscure, arguably D-list villain hailing from an Eastern European nation.

Both of them were box office hits. And there wasn't a walking tree or talking raccoon in either of them, though it didn't keep the Guardians of the Galaxy films from being freakishly profitable summer tentpoles, either.

When they announce a Squirrel Girl movie where they somehow insert her in an adaptation Hickman's SHIELD and it's being directed by Kathryn Bigelow, we'll be at "insane."
its incredible

and a talking animal was in one of the biggest movies of the last few years holy fucking shit. revolutionary
I love that this shit is so ubiquitous that folks take it as a given, when X-men were in leather jackets for a decade

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but those xmen were still shooting lasers out their eyes and had adamantium skeletons and shit.

the designs have become more vibrant in more recent comic book movies for sure compared to the early 00s and now delve more with supernatural and space elements, but it doesn't feel like some massive leap in imagination though.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

Umm... Baron Zemo is basically Cap's archnemesis of the modern era, he's basically a given in a Captain America film.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I still need my dark gritty rendition of Darkhawk and then the MCU shall be truly whole.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The thread makes it sound like it's actually the USSR answer to Captain America and somehow scored a major film... in reality it's much less interesting and is just a Marvel supporting cast