• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
They had a Flash on TV, and a different Flash in the movie?! Say what you will about the quality but I think that was the biggest mistake they made.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that just shows that people will watch good movies regardless of the source material, but won't show up for mediocre movies even if they like the source material.

Wait... what? Tons of good moves are ignored by audiences. There were fewer than 10 people in the theater when I saw The Art of Self Defense and Teen Spirit.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would've hoped that the failures of Justice League, Solo, and Fantastic Beasts 2 shook Hollywood and showed them that NO franchise is flop-proof, and that making good consistently pays off in the long run, even if bad movies make money at first (see also: the Transformers series).

The fact that an Aquaman movie made more than a Justice League flick still blows my mind.

That fact that in popular culture, a movie with a goddamn talking raccoon is more recognizable and more well-received than MOTHERFUCKING BATMAN AND SUPERMAN almost gives me an aneurysm...

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I saw Batman vs superman in theaters. While I have seen worse movies, I've never seen one that was so bad compared to my expectations, which were admittedly low based on what i had heard about it going in. After seeing that I had zero drive to see it's sequel. IF i had heard that it was good i might of seen Justice League in theaters, but the best response from the film was it's not bad.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Batman and Superman are huge names historically but kids do not read comic books these days and so there is not a lot of ways to actually get them invested in the characters. They're relying solely on nostalgia when it comes to these characters. The DC TV shows are universally laughable to most viewers outside their built-in older fanbases as well which certainly doesn't help.

They have a perception issue and have not built up support from a younger generation in the way Marvel has and there isn't an easy way to fix it either. It isn't easy to knock off an established number one. Hopefully for their sake James Gunn can kickstart things in a few years.

FWIW I saw BvS but I honestly can't even remember if we saw Justice League.. I think I did?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Kevin Feige: "We've always said if there's any 'secret' it's respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was."

Zack Snyder: zachsnydernecksnap.gif

A thousand times this.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Even watching it on Amazon through my subscription, I still couldn't sit through this movie and finish. It's just that...I don't give a crap about anyone on the screen.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The advertising for it was awful. Tried to cater to people who were into Marvel with all the comedic trailers instead of the serious stuff they went with in MoS and BvS and it alienated the people that liked that stuff while not hooking the Marvel Crowd. They probably should have released WW and Aquaman before releasing it too.

I mean the ads reflected the movie fairly accurately. It was a pretty dark and serious Snyder flick, interjected with extremely out of place Joss Whedon shtick. The tone was all over the place, and it felt like two different movies mashed together.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Let's ignore the quality of the movies for a moment and look at the big picture. A lot of it had to do with the lack of buildup.

MCU had:

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

and THEN it made the teamup movie. We got to enjoy every character's story and actually cared about then.

DCEU had:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Justice League

Batman had no solo flick.
Flash had no solo flick.
Aquaman had no solo flick.
Wonder Woman had no solo flick (yet).

They did shit for buildup.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're we supposed to know who Steppenwolf was? Is he in any of the 90s cartoons?

Then he dies in the opening of a JL episode.

Out of the many strange choices in the Justice League film, making Steppenwolf the main villain was so baffling. It would be like making this guy from The Avengers the main villain.
latest

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A Justice League movie still hasn't come out yet. I'm not going to be all #ReleaseTheSnyderCut but what was released was a Frankenstein creation. You have the 2 hour run time, several scenes from the trailer flat out missing, and backstory for Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg cut.

Iris West, Vulko, and Cyborg's football games and mom were cut. Knightmare 2.0 cut. Darkseid cut. Steppenwolf backstory cut. Superman retrieving his suit and meeting Alfred cut. Longer history lesson with Steppenwolf killing a Green Lantern. Wonder Woman would've been shown saving the 1 hostage building but other bombs in the city would've still gone off. Just a lot missing. An incomplete film.

The problem is not that the stuff was cut, was that Zack Snyder planned a trillion dollar franchise before knowing it could stand on it's feet.

And with his pessimistic idea of what a superhero is, it would never stand on Superman's feet

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Such a disappointing movie. I think there are great moments in the movie too.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You need more than IPs, the Marvel movies in the 90's were mockable failures that nobody wanted to watch. People like to think success or failure is just about slapping an IP on something and no man, things need to be good or at least watchable, especially in the era where I may not see a movie if it doesnt chart at 80+ on RT

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I took one fucking look at Superman's mouth in JL and noped right the fuck out of wanting to watch it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most miserable cinema expriences ever for me, on par with Bayformers. I genuinely hate this movie.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
The Justice League are like the most well know super hero team and have Batman and Superman, two of the most famous comic book heroes of all time. Hell, Wonder Woman and the Flash are pretty popular as well. Whatsmore, they had a kickass cartoon that boosted their popularity. Yet the JL movie underperformed in an era where Super Hero movies are gold and no ones cares about it.

Is that you Future Dceuwarriorzlife?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Out of the many strange choices in the Justice League film, making Steppenwolf the main villain was so baffling. It would be like making this guy from The Avengers the main villain.
latest

1) We live in a world where i don't know if you are joking saying this IS the main villain from avengers

2) I still don't know who this guy is supposed to represent like in the comics

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that everyone major involved in the making of the DCEU up till Justice League has been fired/quit speaks volumes.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The Boys on Amazon Prime is better and probably cost less to produce.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Just came out?

Which one? I thought the last one came out two years ago or so

Also the avengers are now the most popular super hero IP

Warn a brothas and DC lost their chance

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
When I was cruising the channel guide yesterday and saw it was playing on HBO or Cinemax I had forgotten it happened which makes how hard they dropped that ball almost impressive.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Let's ignore the quality of the movies for a moment and look at the big picture. A lot of it had to do with the lack of buildup.

MCU had:

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

and THEN it made the teamup movie. We got to enjoy every character's story and actually cared about then.

DCEU had:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Justice League

Flash had no solo flick.

I still maintain that DC could've jumped right into Justice League with no build-up just due to the number of characters that have been staples of pop culture for so long.

It likely would've required a fairly basic villain - there probably wouldn't be time to set up a villain as a character since you'd need to devote run time to establishing the characters of the heroes - but I think to start out with that wouldn't have been the worst thing as long as the introduced heroes were likable enough. Charismatic villains could come later.

It wouldn't have been easy, but they had a much more direct path to that than Marvel had, it just required...y'know...some actual effort. WB didn't seem interested in putting forth any to craft something larger like that. (For all his faults, Snyder actually DID put in effort, but it was mostly in service to the world in his head and not to the characters as they've always existed.)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can go from Batman and Robin to Batman Begins I'm hopeful they can recover from Justice league. Hard to do it with the same actors and so soon after the disaster though.

someday

Oct 25, 2017

MCU had:

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

DCEU had:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Justice League

Flash had no solo flick.

I really think DC could have done it either way. The first Avengers movie is what got me to pay more attention to the other solo movies more. I hadn't watched Iron Man 1 or 2 and I didn't really care for the first CA or Thor movie. It was seeing them all together and their chemistry as a group that made me more interested in the solo films. I never really liked the Guardians movies but Infinity War made me like them more in retrospect. I had no interest in Ant-Man but Civil War made me go back and watch his movie.

DC just made characters that were kind of icky and I don't want to know most of them better. Also, I prefer the CW Flash so the one in the movie was a turn-off. I also hated the scene where he lands on Wonder Woman's boobs and is utterly stupid and awkward about it. It seemed so out of place in the movie that it's one of the few scenes I actually remember.

Basically, I don't think they had to follow Marvel's path to success. They just needed to write better movies, hire better directors, and actually care about the material for itself and not rely on it being a superhero movie and assuming that's all we cared about in the first place.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

MCU had:

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

DCEU had:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Justice League

Flash had no solo flick.

To be fair, NOBODY knew about thor, iron man or captain america. Or they just knew the very basics.

EVERYONE knows about superman and batman and for better or worst, aquaman.

They could have made the build up they did if they ... had used the real characters, not alternate universe characters in a world where the money shot is superman crying he had to break someone's neck in the only scene of the second half of the movie where he cares about the people around him.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
It was the last stand of an awfully managed mess, it doesn't matter how well known the characters are since at that point the audience had their hands over their eyes and were just peeking between their fingers to the see final nail in the coffin, and they did.

The mustache gate was incredibly meta representative of that whole trainwreck.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain that DC could've jumped right into Justice League with no build-up just due to the number of characters that have been staples of pop culture for so long.

It likely would've required a fairly basic villain - there probably wouldn't be time to set up a villain as a character since you'd need to devote run time to establishing the characters of the heroes - but I think to start out with that wouldn't have been the worst thing as long as the introduced heroes were likable enough. Charismatic villains could come later.

It wouldn't have been easy, but they had a much more direct path to that than Marvel had, it just required...y'know...some actual effort. WB didn't seem interested in putting forth any to craft something larger like that. (For all his faults, Snyder actually DID put in effort, but it was mostly in service to the world in his head and not to the characters as they've always existed.)
Diniverse pulled this off pretty successfully with Justice League. They introduced Wonder Woman, John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl in the first two part episode. Granted that was a series, but still.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"Look at those losers at Marvel actually having to put an effort with those no names, we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. People will be there no matter what"

And the rest is history.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MCU had:

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

DCEU had:

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Justice League

Flash had no solo flick.

Batman has had a ton of solo flicks and Wonder Woman is very well known. This has nothing to do with build up. Like the OP said, we're talking about a movie with Batman and Superman!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Look at those losers at Marvel actually having to put an effort with those no names, we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. People will be there no matter what"

And the rest is history.
"We're doing a movie with Star-lord..."
source.gif

(as a major comic Guardians fan, I'm still beside myself that characters like Rocket and Groot are now household names.)

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
It was a bad movie, thats all that needs to be said. The production company, writers and director failed the cast and fans.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Batman has had a ton of solo flicks and Wonder Woman is very well known. This has nothing to do with build up. Like the OP said, we're talking about a movie with Batman and Superman!
I still disagree, because it's not just character buildup, but universe buildup. The MCU origin filmed established the universe. Not just the characters.

Even though there were multiple Batman films before it, none of them were in the same universe

Sep 28, 2018
None of that shit would have made the movie better, just longer.

Probably not, but I feel it would've been fairer to judge a complete product without studio interference. I.e. The BVS Ultimate Cut was still awful but it was less awful than the theatrical version.

I also felt when watching Justice League we hardly got to know Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg before it was off to the main plot.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
To this day it's still the only movie I've ever walked out on. Me and my friend noped right out after like half an hour.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
People blame rightfully blame Snyder for the awful takes on the characters but WB approved it.

Did no one with knowledge of DC Comics read the scripts and say "WTF is this shit?"

I believe they had a longer lead up but after Avengers did over a billion WB ordered JL rushed so their execs could collect some bonuses.