• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Aquaman followed all those mediocre films, and Aquaman himself is one of the least popular and joked about superheroes in DC comics. However despite all that baggage, Aquaman was their most successful movie and the marketing and lead-in wasn't strong. Turns out it was just a good movie that entertained people.
I'm not going to say Aquaman was good, but it felt fresher with the underwater setting, costumes, and character.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is funny because it is the anti-avatar

it bombed but everyone jokes about evil superman and evil batman these days xD

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It underperformed but it still made $650 million dollars.

It's not like nobody saw it. It just wasn't a very good movie and nobody was telling their friends to go see it after they saw it.
qYhEuGN.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wish they would just straight up adapt the DCAU. The World's Finest episodes of Superman the Animated Series would have been a great reference for the writers of Batman vs Superman to start from. DC has incredible villains, and Zuckerberg Luthor and Steppenwolf aren't good enough to start off a cinematic universe.

I was always kind of baffled by the way DC handled their material after the huge success of their animated shows. So many people grew up watching Batman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Static Shock, Teen Titans, etc. This was mainstream superheroes way before Marvel took over. Millions of people were introduced to these characters and these universes through these shows and were loyal fans of these interpretations of the characters. These weren't comic book customers. This was the collective common media market.

When it came time to jump start the DC Cinematic Universe, they didn't use any of it at all. I worked at a movie theater when Green Lantern came out. When the first poster was printed we put it up in the lobby where it was visible from the cashier counter. Almost every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, somebody would ask "Why is Green Lantern white?" They probably don't remember the name John Stewart (I didn't at the time), but they recognized Green Lantern as a certain character that was not the one Warner Bros used.

I wonder what the actual recognizability data on these characters shows. I have a very hard time imagining there are more popular or more widely recognized depictions of Raven and Starfire than the Teen Titans, for example. Maybe I overstate the significance of the DCAU because that is the version of the DCU I like best. But I feel like that is where the vast majority of mainstream audiences grew familiar with the characters and they could have made much, much more successful movies playing to that expectation. I'm not even saying they should have adapted this universe. But they never used any of it. Ever.

Imagine the state of the DCU right now if they made a Teen Titans movie in 2011 and established all of those characters at the time.

Bah, what do I know.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It gets crazier than that..,

Justice League is released and grosses less worldwide than even WB's 'worst case scenario' numbers predicted. A film featuring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman makes less domestically and worldwide than the third Thor film.

The following year Aquaman is released and becomes Warners second most successful film ever handily outgrossing Justice League in North America.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6727356-zzzzzz.jpg

These are seriously what they went with as the threats in their team ups of two of the most recognizable characters in all media.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
BvS and Suicide Squad being abysmal killed all momentum that movie had, it's not hard to see why it failed when there was an expectation it would with high probability be bad. The movie launches and sure enough it's terrible, it's not hard to figure out why people ignored it.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superman died and returned and no one gives a shit. Great job Snyder.

Also Marvel has the mainstream cornered. Like a youtuber said, all the young kids today aren't running around with towels on their backs, they are running around with shields.

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid, this would have been my most anticipated film of all time. And although I still do like the movie, it should have been a far bigger deal than it was. How a ball can ne dropped so hard is beyond me.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
WB really rushed what should have been a long build-up towards a Justice League team-up. You can rush out 3 movies that barely set up the universe and then put them all together in a bad movie.

Should have been:

Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Man of Steel 2
Justice League

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, its a shit movie and it doesnt help that MCU showed the correct way to do a team up movie before this came out. Hell, even the forgettable Age of Ultron was better than this garbage.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Think of how long people were dying for a Batman vs Superman movie. All the rumors. That billboard in I Am Legend. How badly people wanted it.

Now people don't even talk about it unless they're discussing why the entire DCEU is a trash pile.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Aquaman followed all those mediocre films, and Aquaman himself is one of the least popular and joked about superheroes in DC comics. However despite all that baggage, Aquaman was their most successful movie and the marketing and lead-in wasn't strong. Turns out it was just a good movie that entertained people.
Aquaman is certainly a way better movie than both Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad, but I'm just not sure how you could come to the conclusion that "good movie = good Box Office" with the overwhelming amount of evidence that that's not the case, even in the context of this series.

And I would argue that Jason Momoa as Aquaman had way more hype and excitement on his side than the supposedly "bigger" heroes in this form of the JL ever had.

Sep 28, 2018
A Justice League movie still hasn't come out yet. I'm not going to be all #ReleaseTheSnyderCut but what was released was a Frankenstein creation. You have the 2 hour run time, several scenes from the trailer flat out missing, and backstory for Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg cut.

Iris West, Vulko, and Cyborg's football games and mom were cut. Knightmare 2.0 cut. Darkseid cut. Steppenwolf backstory cut. Superman retrieving his suit and meeting Alfred cut. Longer history lesson with Steppenwolf killing a Green Lantern. Wonder Woman would've been shown saving the 1 hostage building but other bombs in the city would've still gone off. Just a lot missing. An incomplete film.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I was always kind of baffled by the way DC handled their material after the huge success of their animated shows. So many people grew up watching Batman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Static Shock, Teen Titans, etc. This was mainstream superheroes way before Marvel took over. Millions of people were introduced to these characters and these universes through these shows and were loyal fans of these interpretations of the characters. These weren't comic book customers. This was the collective common media market.

When it came time to jump start the DC Cinematic Universe, they didn't use any of it at all. I worked at a movie theater when Green Lantern came out. When the first poster was printed we put it up in the lobby where it was visible from the cashier counter. Almost every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, somebody would ask "Why is Green Lantern white?" They probably don't remember the name John Stewart (I didn't at the time), but they recognized Green Lantern as a certain character that was not the one Warner Bros used.

I wonder what the actual recognizability data on these characters shows. I have a very hard time imagining there are more popular or more widely recognized depictions of Raven and Starfire than the Teen Titans, for example. Maybe I overstate the significance of the DCAU because that is the version of the DCU I like best. But I feel like that is where the vast majority of mainstream audiences grew familiar with the characters and they could have made much, much more successful movies playing to that expectation. I'm not even saying they should have adapted this universe. But they never used any of it. Ever.

Imagine the state of the DCU right now if they made a Teen Titans movie in 2011 and established all of those characters at the time.

Bah, what do I know.
I'm with you. It is just crazy to me that they've got all of this great material to work from, and they didn't draw from it at all. The DCAU, for me, has damn near perfect interpretations of every character you'd want in a live action DC universe.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've said it before, but given that WB had over 80 years of DC history to pull from, thousands of talented writers and storylines to reference, and plentiful examples of the Justice League being done, er, justice (no pun intended) on the small screen, you have to almost actively TRY to screw up something so easy to get right.

That's what blows my mind. The groundwork had been laid decades before and they literally tripped over every single possible mistake along the way.

Just... how? How do you ignore nearly a century of getting it right in every other medium?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
DC and wb have been on a mission to ruin their good will for their live action movies. It's taken some time to destroy but they finally got to a point that people just don't give a shit. They still seem determined to run it all into the ground even now.

Truly don't know what they're gonna do outside of a full universe reboot.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I will forever maintain Batman vs Superman was pretty good. Outside of Lexenburg

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because the movie was butt... why should ppl care about a crappy movie in general when there's much better superhero content out there?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BvS shit all over the floor so when JL arrived, it slipped and broke its neck.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The Justice League are like the most well know super hero team and have Batman and Superman, two of the most famous comic book heroes of all time. Hell, Wonder Woman and the Flash are pretty popular as well. Whatsmore, they had a kickass cartoon that boosted their popularity. Yet the JL movie underperformed in an era where Super Hero movies are gold and no ones cares about it.
Not anymore they aren't. Avengers took the throne. Turns out people want good movies that respect the source material

someday

Oct 25, 2017
It's what happens when you go for dark and edgy instead of closer to source material.
This is what sums it up for me. Marvel movies make me feel good and laugh and have a good time. DC movies, besides WW and Aquaman, are dark and depressing and who the fuck wants that when we're dealing with superheroes with god-like powers (and in this day and age of real-life depressing things happening daily)? I don't want to be afraid of Superman losing his shit and destroying full cities. Maybe Cavill's acting just made Superman seem more wooden and having zero personality, I don't know but I grew up with JL and Superman movies and this was a terrible way to do it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're we supposed to know who Steppenwolf was? Is he in any of the 90s cartoons?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Superman died and returned and no one gives a shit. Great job Snyder.

Also Marvel has the mainstream cornered. Like a youtuber said, all the young kids today aren't running around with towels on their backs, they are running around with shields.
But Superman wasn't even given room to ACTUALLY die.

The end of BvS had the rocks above his grave start to float, so in the same movie he dies they basically come whisper to you at the end "not really".

The 2 or 3 seconds of Superman Returns where you see the Newspaper headline SUPERMAN IS DEAD (before the camera pans and shows an alternate headline SUPERMAN LIVES) was more emotionally impactful than anything in BvS.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A Justice League movie still hasn't come out yet. I'm not going to be all #ReleaseTheSnyderCut but what was released was a Frankenstein creation. You have the 2 hour run time, several scenes from the trailer flat out missing, and backstory for Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg cut.

Iris West, Vulko, and Cyborg's football games and mom were cut. Knightmare 2.0 cut. Darkseid cut. Steppenwolf backstory cut. Superman retrieving his suit and meeting Alfred cut. Longer history lesson with Steppenwolf killing a Green Lantern. Wonder Woman would've been shown saving the 1 hostage building but other bombs in the city would've still gone off. Just a lot missing. An incomplete film.
None of that shit would have made the movie better, just longer.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's not that insane. The movies came before were junk, except for Wonder Woman, and ruined any good will that could have been had going into JL.

I'm glad they've seemingly turned a corner, as far as the quality of their movies go. But they've squandered their chance at a cinematic universe. Maybe try again in a few years.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Kevin Feige: "We've always said if there's any 'secret' it's respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was."

Zack Snyder: zachsnydernecksnap.gif

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they killed Superman in his 2nd movie. BvS killed any chance that Justice league would be good. You can't build on a shitty foundation.