• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The Justice League are like the most well know super hero team and have Batman and Superman, two of the most famous comic book heroes of all time. Hell, Wonder Woman and the Flash are pretty popular as well. Whatsmore, they had a kickass cartoon that boosted their popularity. Yet the JL movie underperformed in an era where Super Hero movies are gold and no ones cares about it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think that just shows that people will watch good movies regardless of the source material, but won't show up for mediocre movies even if they like the source material.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
People care about Quality. This is why DC kept screwing up. They thought people loved TDK because Batman was Popular and not because it was a well put together film.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
People will care when Warners gets it right. They just haven't done it yet.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The advertising for it was awful. Tried to cater to people who were into Marvel with all the comedic trailers instead of the serious stuff they went with in MoS and BvS and it alienated the people that liked that stuff while not hooking the Marvel Crowd. They probably should have released WW and Aquaman before releasing it too.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
When the people that make a Justice League movie don't give a crap you can't expect the audience to.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Have you seen that Justice League movie?
There's a reason no one gave a shit about it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think they should have made all the character films before they jumped into a full JL. Would have been more interesting to get Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash and Aquaman and then have a really solid JL outing.

-IZHAN-

Jul 7, 2019
DCAU JLA's is far far better than DCEU JLA's
Like JL War, Throne of Atlantis and JL Dark etc. etc.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The advertising for it was awful. Tried to cater to people who were into Marvel with all the comedic trailers instead of the serious stuff they went with in MoS and BvS and it alienated the people that liked that stuff while not hooking the Marvel Crowd. They probably should have released WW and Aquaman before releasing it too.

Or, you know, make a good film. It was absymal.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I think that just shows that people will watch good movies regardless of the source material, but won't show up for mediocre movies even if they like the source material.

That's not it. We have Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad in that very same franchise.

If a movie is good or not doesn't really matter all that much. It's about advertising, about lead-in and knowing what the market wants. With the exclusion of Superman in marketing materials, the lack of fanfare for Affleck's Batman, the terrible lead-in with Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman and the absolute lack of a notable hook (Steppenwolf is such a huge misstep, holy crap), there was almost nothing to get excited about here.

Suicide Squad might have been a terrible movie, but people were still believing in a turnaround for the DCEU at that point and the marketing was on point. The result: Great Box Office Results.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Batman's personality in that movie was such an overcorrection. If you need a Batman that can be serious while cracking wise, just copy the DCAU Justice League Batman.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
That was the biggest issue with JL. They had the trinity and still managed to be outperformed by MCU movies of characters that people would have laughed you out of the room if you told them 10 years ago they would do better than JL.

The movie just wasn't good. At all.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
It really is telling when the solo movies out perform the big team up movie. WB is getting its shot together but the next DCU movie team up is going to be a soft reboot for the universe.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not 100% sure why it crashed (did it financially?), but I want to say it was because they've build up a reputation... a fairly negative one at that. I sure as hell didn't want to see the movie after having endured BvS!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Superhero movies aren't gold, Marvel movies are.
Basically everything else is small, with some exceptions.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its almost like if you make bad movies people lose interest, regardless of the property in question.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Fitting end to the Snyder run.

Watched a bit on HBO the other night. Jesus forgot how awful it was. My 5yr old couldn't even be bothered to sit and watch it with me yet he's sat through both IW and EG!

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
If the Justice League movie had been anything like the animated series I probably would have seen it.
I wish they would just straight up adapt the DCAU. The World's Finest episodes of Superman the Animated Series would have been a great reference for the writers of Batman vs Superman to start from. DC has incredible villains, and Zuckerberg Luthor and Steppenwolf aren't good enough to start off a cinematic universe.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that people at DC and WB let people who don't give a crap about the Justice League put out a movie.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The DCEU rushed and fumbled its way to Justice League while trying to chase Avengers bucks and it really showed.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rushing into Batman vs Superman that had the forced Doomsday storyline killed a lot of the momentum going into Justice League.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It underperformed but it still made $650 million dollars.

It's not like nobody saw it. It just wasn't a very good movie and nobody was telling their friends to go see it after they saw it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
That's not it. We have Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad in that very same franchise.

If a movie is good or not doesn't really matter all that much. It's about advertising, about lead-in and knowing what the market wants. With the exclusion of Superman in marketing materials, the lack of fanfare for Affleck's Batman, the terrible lead-in with Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman and the absolute lack of a notable hook (Steppenwolf is such a huge misstep, holy crap), there was almost nothing to get excited about here.

Suicide Squad might have been a terrible movie, but people were still believing in a turnaround for the DCEU at that point and the marketing was on point. The result: Great Box Office Results.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Aquaman followed all those mediocre films, and Aquaman himself is one of the least popular and joked about superheroes in DC comics. However despite all that baggage, Aquaman was their most successful movie and the marketing and lead-in wasn't strong. Turns out it was just a good movie that entertained people.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We live in a timeline where more people saw a Deadpool movie than a Justice League movie.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
WB basically made a film where the Avengers team up for the first time with Captain America absent for most of it to stop a less charismatic Proxima Midnight.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh don't worry. Give it a few years and meme culture will start revising history, just like it has happened with the god awful prequels.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I enjoyed it but can see why it didn't take off.
Supes vs the JL was a great scene though.

Bvs had a shit supes, great bat.
JL had a good supes, bad bat

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
It's just crazy because terrible movies make bank too. It's why so many people thought it was locked to get a billion even if it was bad. Who would've thought a Solon Aquaman and Wonder Woman would do better than the first teamnup.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
There was no excitement, the two movies before it were not great, the movie itself was not good. The bad guy in the movie was not good.

If I'm not mistaken, the movie was rushed to finish, so some execs could make a fat bonus, which clearly didn't do the franchise any good.