• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching The Hunt and actually really enjoying the editing style. Very fast paced (at least a quarter of the way in), I'm liking how it pretty seamlessly jumps between people/groups. The writing itself is not good at all, but I don't think anyone was expecting it to be.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
I really wish they would have set the bar at $9.99. I would have been willing to rent a few of these, but man $19.99 is a lot to ask when everyone is so strapped for money during this crisis.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Saw The Hunt and it's pretty bad. It's basically a less fun, less clever and morally confused version of Ready or Not.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Never got around to seeing Emma before the theaters closed, really looking forward to it.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a time to be alive,
Invisible Man, Emma, Hunt, Onward later tonight all streaming straight from movie theatres. Also Sonic, Birds of Prey, and that Trolls movie out soon

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Hope this becomes the norm.

Release movies online for rent/purchase from day 1 and then do a physical release later.

I'm so done with cinema.

Oct 30, 2017
Please Jesus yof you're going to watch The Invisible Man please do not watch the trailer. It's the cliff notes of the movie and spoils it worse than any movie I've ever seen.

Like this: "The Prestige,
coming soon to movie theaters near you, the story of a magician and his twin brother..."

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this becomes the norm.

Release movies online for rent/purchase from day 1 and then do a physical release later.

I'm so done with cinema.

Please don't say that. Without the theater, the budgets of movies will dramatically drop. VOD can't come even close to what a theatrical release can bring in.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry Invisible Man, for $20 you don't just get to show up for rent and disappear like that.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hunt was some cornball bullshit. Couldn't enjoy the "satire", or action.

The Invisible Man however was incredible.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would have loooved to see Invisible Man in theaters.

SO GOOD.
Yeah I would have loved it there. It's this year's Doctor Sleep for me. Information was doled out perfectly and it was well directed.

Just realized the actor for the Invisible Man was also the youngest sibling in The Haunting Of Hill House. Good American accent.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Invisible Man was phenomenal. I would love to rewatch it just to pick out the moments when
the chittering noise gives away the invisible suit.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Invisible Man was okay. Pretty standard horror movie. Haven't read too much into it but I'm surprised reception was really positive, seems like the kind of thing that would normally warrant tepid reactions. I feel like I saw every twist coming. I will say that I liked how it was a movie specifically "about" gaslighting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The Invisible Man was okay. Pretty standard horror movie. Haven't read too much into it but I'm surprised reception was really positive, seems like the kind of thing that would normally warrant tepid reactions. I feel like I saw every twist coming. I will say that I liked how it was a movie specifically "about" gaslighting.
I'd be surprised if almost everyone didn't see most twists coming. It doesn't lean on them for suspense, instead favouring brilliant camerawork to allow you to anticipate and enjoy those twists while keeping the moments tense. Positioning the negative space to allow you to know there's someone else in the frame - and often where - without being able to fully say for sure, lowering your position to that of Cecilia throughout.

Appreciate it probably just didn't click but that's the angle for the praise over it having amazing surprises throughout.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd be surprised if almost everyone didn't see most twists coming. It doesn't lean on them for suspense, instead favouring brilliant camerawork to allow you to anticipate and enjoy those twists while keeping the moments tense. Positioning the negative space to allow you to know there's someone else in the frame - and often where - without being able to fully say for sure, lowering your position to that of Cecilia throughout.

Appreciate it probably just didn't click but that's the angle for the praise over it having amazing surprises throughout.

The lack of surprises was more of a one-off comment I made unrelated to the statement about its reception. I guess the main reason I'm surprised it has a strong reception is because it feels like it never does anything inventive or something that wasn't done better elsewhere in another movie, and I never really feel like the characters or their motivations get proper development.

The point about framing shots in terms of considering negative space well is cromulent and something I did appreciate, but I can't say it really affected the tension or suspense for me (partially because, again, I saw everything coming), which is what I would largely hope to get out of something like that. I can see why someone may appreciate that a lot though I suppose.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Glad I hadn't watched invisible Man trailers before I went to the theater, it spoils some of the jump scares.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Me and some coworkers saw Invisible Man in theaters a few weeks back and it was really good. I went in completely blind, having not seen a trailer, or read anything about it. I didn't even know who was in the movie. Came out of the theater very impressed. Very tense, suspenseful movie with some really clever cinematography that actually heightens that suspense. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of thrillers. I'm tempted to rewatch it when it goes VoD. I actually planned on purchasing it, so if that's also an option, I'd rather buy it outright.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The lack of surprises was more of a one-off comment I made unrelated to the statement about its reception. I guess the main reason I'm surprised it has a strong reception is because it feels like it never does anything inventive or something that wasn't done better elsewhere in another movie, and I never really feel like the characters or their motivations get proper development.

The point about framing shots in terms of considering negative space well is cromulent and something I did appreciate, but I can't say it really affected the tension or suspense for me (partially because, again, I saw everything coming), which is what I would largely hope to get out of something like that. I can see why someone may appreciate that a lot though I suppose.
That's fair and probably where the divergence lies for us. Handling invisible characters, especially in physical fight scenes and outside of superhero films, is tricky to be done effectively and I think that's where this also stood out for me. The kitchen fight was brutal, confused and flurried in a way you'd expect and the direct interactions worked to compound that threat while rooting it in the physical tactile world. The two worked well for me to make that monster something threatening and overbearing where it could have easily been somewhat goofy. If you have reccs for other films that handle it well within that civilian/domestic environment I'm all ears to more films.

Also as an aside you're the first person I think I've seen use the word cromulent - kudos for adding a little interest to the early morning posts.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The Invisible Man was interesting and thought it was fine but it had 2 scenes that just took me out of it and I couldn't get over....

1. Why didn't she keep Adrian's phone when she found it in the attic???

and even more so...

2. Why didn't she take her phone in to record Adrian's suit she found lol???

Either of those proves she's telling the truth and I know it's a movie but I just couldn't get over it.