• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy news!!

I don't think $20 is bad at all considering the whole family can watch it. I'd be interested to know if this is just stateside or if they plan on doing something similar in the UK

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
$20 is downright cheap for a day 1 release.

It used to be $500 and require special hardware.

Here's hoping they don't skimp on the encodes.

Feb 24, 2018
I'll say it here as well in the hopes the same pettiness doesn't happen here as well, their is no reason to make personal swipes, needless snark and attacks on people because they disagree with you on the price of this (especially given regional and different countries having different pricing on movie tickets) and or people's viewing habits (again, I'm still that now watching films by yourself is considered bad or makes you "a loser"). That doesn't help anyone and just creates toxicity where none is needed.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious if they were to keep doing this once COVID-19 is all said and done (or at least said and done enough where people can go out again), would people still go to movie theaters?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this means I can show my sick mom The Invisible Man. She loves horror/thrillers. 20$ is nothing.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm really curious if they were to keep doing this once COVID-19 is all said and done (or at least said and done enough where people can go out again), would people still go to movie theaters?

The resistance to it has been theaters. If this goes well I could see studios not wanting to give up the income. If it goes poorly, the theater window will get even stronger.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this one of those things where making access cheaper/easier DOES fix the piracy problem?

Not completely, but a damper on it.

(See also like, music piracy post iTunes, then post Apple Music/Spotify)
No, because this option wouldn't make things cheaper or easier. The VOD option is more expensive than going to the cinema and both are pretty easy to access. The thing with iTunes and even moreso with Spotify is that that were significantly cheaper than the old ways, here that really isn't the case.

And I don't see a lower price happening either. These are all fairly low budget films and they're already more expensive to rent than if you'd see them in a cinema. Imagine if Disney would start releasing their 100+ million dollar blockbusters straight to VOD. Those would have to cost at least $50 each to be able to justify it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because this option wouldn't make things cheaper or easier. The VOD option is more expensive than going to the cinema and both are pretty easy to access. The thing with iTunes and even moreso with Spotify is that that were significantly cheaper than the old ways, here that really isn't the case.

And I don't see a lower price happening either. These are all fairly low budget films and they're already more expensive to rent than if you'd see them in a cinema. Imagine if Disney would start releasing their 100+ million dollar blockbusters straight to VOD. Those would have to cost at least $50 each to be able to justify it.
$20 is hella cheaper than a night at the movies with my wife.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on all I spend when I go to the movies 20 bucks is a damn steal.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From the other thread:

Some people aren't realizing how much of a steal this is for people who go in groups. Even though I live a small town, as a student I still spend roughly $11 on a discounted ticket and a medium drink. Great compared to other places but if I'm going with friends that adds up.

This idea will be a great with me and my roommates if others decided to jump on. I'd do if Disney+ did something similar while all of this is going on.

The only thing is our living room setup isn't ideal (small tv, odd furniture layout, etc). But I have been looking for a reason to put in a nice media center...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I meant more that theaters might focus on a more premium model if stuff is released on demand at the same time. Nicer seats, food and drink, etc.
There's a kind of theater like that already here in Peru and it fucking sucks because waiters keep coming in and out, taking orders in the middle of a movie and it's annoying as fuck. Nah, I'm good with the current situation and maybe having VOD simultaneously or a few weeks after.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Hoping for A Quiet Place 2 to get this treatment...

Wife and I already decided we're gonna watch at least The Invisible Man this weekend.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they're going to want those blockbuster movies in theaters still. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these "lower budget" kind of movies coming out though. I wouldn't be going to the theater to see invisible man but you bet I'll be checking it out this weekend on VOD. I hope more companies follow this. Definitely a good way to test the waters.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

LOL

My first thought reading the headline.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I would pay so much more than $20 for access to this more regularly. The people scoffing at the price point? It's just a movie ticket in digital form.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't believe this will make major changes in the industry. It's not going to happen to Mulan, it won't be happening with Black Widow.

The Hunt is a bomb. I don't believe there is hype for Trolls 2 and I'm pretty sure it will underperform.

Invisible Man is the exception but it also will have been out for 3-4 weeks by the time it hits VOD. It doesn't have much theatrical juice left (and has made $122m on a $7m budget).

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay so much more than $20 for access to this more regularly. The people scoffing at the price point? It's just a movie ticket in digital form.
Yeah, I don't know why people have an issue with the price. 20 bucks is already less than 2 tickets for my girlfriend and I. Factor in some popcorn and it's way over that. I would love to see this, even if it's like a 2 week delay with a theater release.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate the economics of it, but $20 isn't chump change to a lot of people and if I'm renting, it's usually not for a group.

It's a great deal, but contingent on how you typically interact with the content. It's fine, but yeah, I'm probably not gonna see very much with this.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I appreciate the economics of it, but $20 isn't chump change to a lot of people and if I'm renting, it's usually not for a group.

It's a great deal, but contingent on how you typically interact with the content. It's fine, but yeah, I'm probably not gonna see very much with this.

But in that world, aren't you just waiting for the normal rental period when it becomes the regular rental price?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
But I don't pay anywhere near $20 for my ticket. It's not an ideal price for someone who wants to enjoy a movie alone, but I get that the studios need to look out for the families and couples.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017

there are a lot of places in the US where an individual ticket is cheaper than that, so I get it from that standpoint. For anyone who regularly pays for multiple people this is a good price though.

I do want to hear about the quality, though

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

On one hand, I think a lot of the sentiment comes from people being 'spoiled' by Redbox and Netflix these days....

On the other hand, my average movie cost in the upper Midwest, depending on which specific theater I go to, is ~12-15 bucks most places. Matinees are 7-10, with 5 dollar Tuesday nights.

Snacks definitely could tack on to that cost, but I don't pay nearly 20 bucks for a new movie. Being able to pause (if necessary) would be a game-changer for cinema movies, but not to the point of spending 5-10 bucks more.

If nothing else...will be interesting to see the ripple effect from this over time, though, and if the movie companies try to keep this going.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the more people are able to watch Invisible Man, the better. It's easily the best movie released this year so far (that's a true 2020 release, so no Portrait of a Lady on Fire or Uncut Gems, etc.).

Emma is also very, very nice.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe this will make major changes in the industry. It's not going to happen to Mulan, it won't be happening with Black Widow.

The Hunt is a bomb. I don't believe there is hype for Trolls 2 and I'm pretty sure it will underperform.

Invisible Man is the exception but it also will have been out for 3-4 weeks by the time it hits VOD. It doesn't have much theatrical juice left (and has made $122m on a $7m budget).
cinemas around the world will be closed for months. and even when they re-open, the will probably put a limit on how many people can get into a screening (probably cut down by at least 50%). and i dont think people will flock to the cinemas once corona starts to die down (which could take MONTHS). this will have a drastic effect on the movie industry. they cant shelf every movie or delay it to november/2021. they need to fid a short-term band-aid. and vod is exactly that.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
But in that world, aren't you just waiting for the normal rental period when it becomes the regular rental price?

Yeah, but if it's not something I really want to see, particularly in a theater, it's fine with me. Like, I'm curious to see The Hunt, but I'm either renting that much later for $5/6 or paying a matinee price. $20 is nuts for something I'm almost certainly gonna watch alone.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
cinemas around the world will be closed for months. and even when they re-open, the will probably put a limit on how many people can get into a screening (probably cut down by at least 50%). and i dont think people will flock to the cinemas once corona starts to die down (which could take MONTHS). this will have a drastic effect on the movie industry. they cant shelf every movie or delay it to november/2021. they need to fid a short-term band-aid. and vod is exactly that.

I agree that we will see more of this. I was pointing out that we will not see it happen to massive films like Black Widow or Mulan.

And we also don't know if they will be closed for months. It certainly could be. We just don't know yet.

But I don't believe anything will change long term for major releases.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The VOD option is more expensive than going to the cinema and both are pretty easy to access.

This really depends on your location. In any major city, this is cheaper.

In a suburban area, this is cheaper than the cost of two tickets.

$20 for a two day rental? Am I reading that correctly?

Going to the theater and you only get one viewing.

Prima Cinema (2013-2016) = $500 / day one rental

Screening Room (2016/2017) = proposed $50 / day one

Prices for day one at home have dropped pretty quickly. What's interesting is that Universal was an investor in Prima.

But I don't pay anywhere near $20 for my ticket. It's not an ideal price for someone who wants to enjoy a movie alone, but I get that the studios need to look out for the families and couples.

The solo viewer in a cheap market is somewhat of the outlier here. They won't go for day one, but they can wait for the cheaper "normal" rental a few months down the line.