• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first shot fired here and I wonder if the longer this lasts, more studios follow suit. Gotta make the money somehow and sitting on movies will not make the money.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
If I could pay 20.00 for a MCU movie and be in the comfort of my own home hell yeah! I hope we get to this someday.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is absolutely incredible and hopefully creates some sort of precedent for similar releases post-Covid-19. Now, if A Quiet Place: Part II wanted to do this, we'd really be cooking with gas.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Super unfortunate, but makes sense given the reality of the situation.

I wonder if they're still going to give the unreleased films some sort of token/limited theatrical release in some areas.

EDIT: Didn't see that they would be still be running in theaters that are still open at the same time they are made available VOD. Cool.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I definitely think they'll try but I'd guess theater attendance will never fully recover after this outbreak and their hand will be forced to continue to practice, especially for non-blockbusters.
I highly doubt that theater attendance never recovers. Unless this pandemic causes a permanent cultural shift away from all forms of mass gathering and attendance. Which doesn't seem particularly likely.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_oynyiz5VdN1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that theater attendance never recovers. Unless this pandemic causes a permanent cultural shift away from all forms of mass gathering and attendance. Which doesn't seem particularly likely.
It's less about a cultural shift away from mass gatherings and more about people becoming accustomed to watching brand new releases at home. I'd assume big budget films will still do well in theaters for the foreseeable future though.

With that said, I think it all depends on how long this pandemic lasts.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
That's awesome, but the implication of "immediately" means right this moment, but I can't seem to find anything in the article actually pointing to where to get these right now. Feel like better wording could have been used if they didn't have the full details quite yet.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
My wife's going to be very happy we can still see Trolls 2

Me, on the other hand... thanks a fucking lot Universal.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
$20 is kinda steep for a rental. I know there's a convenience tax, but still

New big release movie rentals are usually around $12 for first few weeks/months, this isn't that bad when an average theater ticket is $15 nowadays. If you have a family or spouse it's cheaper to watch at home than to go out and see the movie

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome, but the implication of "immediately" means right this moment, but I can't seem to find anything in the article actually pointing to where to get these right now. Feel like better wording could have been used if they didn't have the full details quite yet.

Yeah, the link shows March 20th as the earliest. The word immediately should he removed.