• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just had to close my windows right now because heavy smoke started coming in and looked outside and can't even see the hills it's already so fogged with smoke :/ This just started within the past hour, since it was clear before. Looked into to see local fire news...

www.mercurynews.com

Map: 8 large fires in the Bay Area

The largest is the Crews Fire, burning east of Gilroy.

1. Crews Fire, east of Gilroy. Started Sunday around 2 p.m. As of Monday morning, it has burned 2,000 acres and destroyed two structures. Evacuations have been ordered.
  2. Park Fire, east of Morgan Hill. Started early Sunday, just after midnight. It has burned 343 acres. The evacuation of 80 people has been lifted.
  3. Sheridan Fire, near Sunol Regional Wilderness. Started Saturday around 2 p.m. Contained at 108 acres.
  4. Livermore, near Interstate 580 west of Altamont Pass. Started Sunday around 5:15 p.m. Contained at 50 acres.
  5. Tracy, near Clover Road and Cabrillo Court. Started Sunday around 5 p.m. Four duplexes destroyed.
  6. Pittsburg, near Southwood and Oak Hills drives. Started Saturday. Twenty homes threatened, but none burned. Fireworks are blamed.

At least one confirmed from fireworks (I'm sure some of the others are too, given the time stamps and that people even this morning are STILL setting them off, as it usually is a week after July 4th, here...)

At least we have masks on hand, but keep your windows closed guys :/

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's insane that this is a yearly occurrence. I moved from the Bay about a year ago and there's a lot of things I won't miss, but this is near the top. I spent multiple weeks wearing an N95 mask in both 2018 and 2019 because the smoke was so thick. Last year we were replacing the filter on our air conditioner about twice a week.

Hopefully no one loses this home this year.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Not really the same, but someone set a fire in my apt complexes garage during July 4th (at 11pm). I assume it was fireworks, but I don't really know. That was fun....

I still smell smoke, but not sure if it's lingering from that or from the ones in your news stories....

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Not really the same, but someone set a fire in my apt complexes garage during July 4th (at 11pm). I assume it was fireworks, but I don't really know. That was fun....

I still smell smoke, but not sure if it's lingering from that or from the ones in your news stories....

Not sure what county you are, but just reading in another article where there were 22 fires set on 4th of July alone in Alameda County (maybe yours was one?) but the smoke might have been from the Gilroy fire going on right now, which seems to be where most of the local fire departments have been heading to.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I found the fire... it's another one...

patch.com

Fremont Fire In Salt Flats: 40 Acres

Firefighters are battling to contain the flames. Residents of Fremont, Newark, Union City are warned of poor air quality. #PattersonFire

FREMONT, CA — A wildfire in Coyote Hills Regional Park in Fremont has grown to more than 40 acres in a little more than an hour, according to the Fremont Fire Department. It has been dubbed the Patterson Fire, as the official address of the park is on Patterson Ranch Road.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a lot of the recent fires around the bay are caused by people playing with fireworks, at least according to the article you posted OP.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
It's too god damn early for this shit bruh. Here's hoping for those near Gilroy and Fremont to get stamped out in the coming days, though that Crews Fire isn't nearly as contained as I would have hoped for.

Had a pretty good winter in the PNW so I think we will be safe. Cali idk

We are fuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Here in Sonoma County, CalFire and the county really did a phenomenal job in preventing the Kincade fire from jumping 101 westward, but that also means that there is just nothing but miles and miles of fuel just chillin' in West County and if something pops off there it's gonna be catastrophic for the region.

Wildfires aside, the planned blackouts-as-a-preventative-measure combined with trying to stop the spread of Covid-19 is just going to royally screw over our communities in fire prone areas.

Oct 27, 2017
It's my main reason for planning on moving in next few years. I'm in Concord 😩 but I still need to stay away from forested area. No idea where I should even be looking to move tbh.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wildfires aside, the planned blackouts-as-a-preventative-measure combined with trying to stop the spread of Covid-19 is just going to royally screw over our communities in fire prone areas.

Can't wait for those rolling blackouts again :/ My area wasn't effected, but I remember the topic last year when a good majority of the Bay was. The only "silver lining" is that the smoke will keep people inside.

Fire fighters had put out over 100 fires in a day because of illegal firework over the weekend. 😔

Yup, that was my biggest fear, leading up to the sheer amount of ammo that people bought for several weeks. Must've been tough with many departments strained with already fighting other big fires.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Fire fighters had put out over 100 fires in a day because of illegal firework over the weekend. 😔

Is this true? holy shit, can people just fucking have a bbq and just call it a day. It's as if the massive fires we've had the last 3 years is not enough of a reminder of how easily shit burns in California. Fucking people man, seriously ....

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just heard another bang outside. Yes, even during the day, people are STILL burning through their fireworks... (please don't set my neighborhood on fire...)

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Can't wait for those rolling blackouts again :/ My area wasn't effected, but I remember the topic last year when a good majority of the Bay was. The only "silver lining" is that the smoke will keep people inside.

Rolling blackouts will certainly put the squeeze on residents not to mention small businesses that are just now getting a regular curbside pickup routine going, but it's really evacs that are going to just throw social distancing out the window, especially those that are displaced due to fire activity and gather in designated shelters.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Rolling blackouts will certainly put the squeeze on residents not to mention small businesses that are just now getting a regular curbside pickup routine going, but it's really evacs that are going to just throw social distancing out the window, especially those that are displaced due to fire activity and gather in designated shelters.

I didn't even think of cramming people together in small quarters if it came to an evacuation... that would be another problem :/

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that in such a high risk fire area as Northen California-anyone using illegal fireworks should be hit with a massive punishment. The attitude around them is so cavalier around here.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is this true? holy shit, can people just fucking have a bbq and just call it a day. It's as if the massive fires we've had the last 3 years is not enough of a reminder of how easily shit burns in California. Fucking people man, seriously ....

Yeah it's pretty dumb.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

July 4: San Francisco Firefighters Battle More Than 100 Blazes Triggered By Fireworks

The city's annual Fourth of July fireworks show on the Embarcadero may have been canceled this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic but that didn't stop residents from lighting up the skies with illegal fireworks.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's pretty dumb.

July 4: San Francisco Firefighters Battle More Than 100 Blazes Triggered By Fireworks

The city's annual Fourth of July fireworks show on the Embarcadero may have been canceled this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic but that didn't stop residents from lighting up the skies with illegal fireworks.

I just can't believe the extent of stupidity in people sometimes, until I'm reminded with proof such as these.
This is some unbelievable shit: "Let's set off more fireworks, even though shit is burning down just blocks away".... unbelievable man.

san-francisco-fire.jpg

I know the link you posted shows this, but since the picture says it all, I just want to highlight this scene even more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm of the opinion that in such a high risk fire area as Northen California-anyone using illegal fireworks should be hit with a massive punishment. The attitude around them is so cavalier around here.

I wonder if any arrests were even made? In the case of a dry area with heavy fireworks, it's these sort of things that DO effect a large amount of people over potential fires. There were signs by the park nearby "NO FIREWORKS AT PARKS PLZ" but I don't even think police were even actively patrolling much? (when these are one of the cases of actually being the benefit of peoples' safety...)

Yeah it's pretty dumb.

The San Francisco fire department said it responded to 110 fires between 3 p.m. Sunday and 3 a.m. Sunday, with all but two attributed to fireworks.

Just yesterday too, they did NOT burn through them even on the designated day.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if any arrests were even made? In the case of a dry area with heavy fireworks, it's these sort of things that DO effect a large amount of people over potential fires. There were signs by the park nearby "NO FIREWORKS AT PARKS PLZ" but I don't even think police were even actively patrolling much? (when these are one of the cases of actually being the benefit of peoples' safety...)

It's not exactly easy to catch people in action. Generally if someone reports it or if police sees it, by the time they get there it's already too late since most of the people aren't firing off a truck load at a time.