• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOTY 2019. Just a sublime combination of lovable characters, great story, and fantastic combat, with a great soundtrack throughout the ride.

This was my first Fire Emblem title, but it most certainly won't be my last.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IS explicitly avoiding a Golden Route scenario was the best decision made regarding multiple routes.

And I'm going to hold my tongue on the notion that an evil route doesn't already exist. :P
let me rephrase that then, an explicitly villain route and byleth fights everyone besides TWSITD.. and heck maybe make a sad route where it shows byleth trying to make a golden route possible but it always failing on him thus forcing him to make a choice regardless.
Just can't sadly see spending that much on the dlc when its all nothing except the cindered ashes story.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Bought it day 1

Still haven't touched it

Hooray!

At least it's the game that made me stop buying shit I wasn't going to start playing immediately.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through Golden Deer and had a good time. It has a nice... balance, and felt more refined compared to Awakening and Fates (that said, Conquest still got better maps imo). Considering how well different routes, the monastery and so on worked together... I wonder how the next game will be. Three Houses just felt so natural, you know?

I've tried starting playing another route this time as Blue Lions, but I wasn't really feeling it and had to put it on hold - despite it having been months since I finished Golden Deer. Not sure if it's because I played Golden Deer first and got surprisingly attached to them, or the other houses just lack the same camaraderie...

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Only did...Crimson Flower route. Heard later it was the worst in the game. Kinda wanna go back and do the Blue Lions route I only barely touched.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What makes Three Houses work is how well realized and empathetic so many of the characters are. Probably the best in the series.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My 2019 GOTY. Fantastic game. My favorite cast of characters in any Fire Emblem game. I played all 4 routes back to back and burnt myself out. LOL!

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
On a golden deer run rn! I seriously love fire emblem and this was such a step forward in terms of writing and characters, there's so many to love lol. This game is so amazing and makes me beyond excited for FE17

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
This was my first time ever playing a Fire Emblem game, and I absolutely loved it. I think the game is amazing and now I cannot wait for more Fire Emblem to come.

Also, Cyril best boy ☺️

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
My 2019 GOTY. One of the best examples of a game being so much greater than the sum of its parts. I only had experience with the gba games, which i really liked, but was really afraid going in because of all the waifu anime tropes that the newer games were infamous for. And there's quite a bit of that but somehow it didn't really bother me in the end and i actually ended up liking the characters and story well enough.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Step down from Fates, but still a solid Fire Emblem and my most played Switch title. There's lots of things they can do to improve this, and Fire Emblem is usually good at iterating on their past games on the same console, I'm sure the next one will be a gem.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I said this on Twitter:
Me prior to playing: Man I'm just going to skip through most of the social sim stuff, I just want the combat.
Me while playing: Who should I invite to tea? Should I eat with these people I want to recruit?

I'm loving the game (in Ch.6, Black Eagles house) but I feel they could've streamlined the monestary a bit better. Like I never do seminars or rest days, nor have I found choir practice worth it. I'm mainly fishing/gardening and inviting people to eat, any extra points then go for faculty training. I don't know if that's the best method, but it's what makes the most sense to me. Hell, just thinking about it has me eagerly anticipating finally recruiting the people I've pushed for.

Once I beat the game, I know I'm going to come back to it for a Golden Deer run (not right away, but maybe next year). Which instantly puts this game up there on my GOAT list, as I rarely run back long games like this.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird timing. I found it on sale, and received it in the mail yesterday. I'm planning to do BL first for the base plot, then GD since apparently it answers a bunch of stuff. Only an hour or so in so far. Other than the prerendered cutscenes, it looks pretty sharp for a Switch game.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Damn, already a year?

My first playthrough was BL and I beat the Cindered Shadows DLC but I still need to go back and do the other houses...

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favorite games on Switch. Just fantastic from start to finish. Love how fleshed out the characters are and how all sides have their pros and cons. I also really enjoyed the gameplay loop. The monastery gave the game an extra sense of place and history that other FE games lack. And I love me a good timeskip and this game had a pretty great one.

I remember in the prerelease days there were a lot of people hating on the academy angle and the art. How the turns have tabled. Really impressive to see that the fanart community is still going strong. I also love how some of the english voice actors are engaging with the community (shoutouts to Joe Zieja - voice of Claude - in particular).

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I said this on Twitter:
Me prior to playing: Man I'm just going to skip through most of the social sim stuff, I just want the combat.
Me while playing: Who should I invite to tea? Should I eat with these people I want to recruit?

I'm loving the game (in Ch.6, Black Eagles house) but I feel they could've streamlined the monestary a bit better. Like I never do seminars or rest days, nor have I found choir practice worth it. I'm mainly fishing/gardening and inviting people to eat, any extra points then go for faculty training. I don't know if that's the best method, but it's what makes the most sense to me. Hell, just thinking about it has me eagerly anticipating finally recruiting the people I've pushed for.

Once I beat the game, I know I'm going to come back to it for a Golden Deer run (not right away, but maybe next year). Which instantly puts this game up there on my GOAT list, as I rarely run back long games like this.
Yeah the social side could use some rebalancing, if you're not battling then doing anything but Exploring seems like leaving leaving a lot on the table. But going around, interacting with the characters and seeing what they have to say each month, reacting to the events as they unfold and catching glimpses into their lives has been absolutely fascinating.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fantastic game spent 385 hours with it. I may go back to it to really 100% Supports/Goddess tower stuff.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I adore this game so much !

Like you wrote OP, I remember very well the negative vibes the game was giving off. I was even thinking of cancelling my preorder of the special edition as the game, developed by Koei Tecmo, felt like a high school anime.

And then the leak happened and there was a glimmer of hope. What was leaked promised a much, much more interesting narrative than what I was expecting. When the E3 2019 direct dropped, I did the biggest 180, from suspicion to complete hype. And boy did the game deliver.

The game is not perfect and clearly suffers from being too ambitious with too little development time. There is so much map recycling and the graphics, apart form the character models, are pretty damn ugly. 3 out of 4 stories also sadly follow a very similar template. But damn I don't think I have ever been so fixated and passionate about a cast of characters and a story as Three Houses. Rhea, all three Lords, and so many others like Dedue, Dorothea, Petra, Hubert, Ferdinand, Lysithea, Annette, Jeritza, etc are all such good characters. The cast and the story really delves into important and fascinating topics such as the consequences of trauma, reform vs revolution, the place of organized religion in society, tradition, xenophobia etc.

I started with the Black Eagles and went the Crimson Flower path and after finishing it, I immediately started my Verdant Wind playthrough. After 4 months and 400 hours, I completed all 4 stories. The real stand out for me was Edelgard who ended up being one of the most intriguing characters in all gaming for me.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also liking how character writing seems to be much more of a focus compared to the cardboard cutouts of previous FE games. I might actually finish this one.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't been able to play through much of it simply because of how bad the graphics are. I cannot believe Nintendo let that game ship looking like that.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
My first Fire Emblem game and now it's a series I'm fully bought into. One of my favorite experiences on the Switch, and at some point I'm going to try a run on Maddening with the only house I've missed.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really something special! A really incredible cast of characters (sold by amazing voice work), a richly detailed world, and an epic story, it just all comes together for me. I think it's my favorite Switch game!

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the social side could use some rebalancing, if you're not battling then doing anything but Exploring seems like leaving leaving a lot on the table. But going around, interacting with the characters and seeing what they have to say each month, reacting to the events as they unfold and catching glimpses into their lives has been absolutely fascinating.
Yeah that was my thinking too. Exploring > Battling >>>>>>>>>>>>>Don't even bother really as it just feels like a waste.

Hopefully they can better balance this going forward.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I've been replaying it after bouncing off the first time and yeah it's a pretty awesome game. Blue Lions and Ashen Wolves best houses but I can chill with Golden Deer as well.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I knew people would treat it like the classic it is when more time passes. I have been singing its praises from the start.

One of this generation's greatest games.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
My First Fire Emblem.
Personal GOTY last year.
I loved it so much.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I loved Awakening but skipped Fates. It exceeded my expectations for sure.

Same here. The game was brilliant.

And I'm surprised at how many branching paths there are. I thought there were only 2 (with or against Edelgarde), but it goes beyond what I expected and they're all so different in how they play out.

First playthrough I chose to side with Edelgarde. Next one will be to stay with the Church and see how that plays out.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
If you had told me after Awakening and Fates that I would love this game primarily for its characters, I wouldn't have believed you. But I really do love almost everyone, and that's only having played through Golden Deer and half of Blue Lions.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I adore this game so much !

Like you wrote OP, I remember very well the negative vibes the game was giving off. I was even thinking of cancelling my preorder of the special edition as the game, developed by Koei Tecmo, felt like a high school anime.

And then the leak happened and there was a glimmer of hope. What was leaked promised a much, much more interesting narrative than what I was expecting. When the E3 2019 direct dropped, I did the biggest 180, from suspicion to complete hype. And boy did the game deliver.

The game is not perfect and clearly suffers from being too ambitious with too little development time. There is so much map recycling and the graphics, apart form the character models, are pretty damn ugly. 3 out of 4 stories also sadly follow a very similar template. But damn I don't think I have ever been so fixated and passionate about a cast of characters and a story as Three Houses. Rhea, all three Lords, and so many others like Dedue, Dorothea, Petra, Hubert, Ferdinand, Lysithea, Annette, Jeritza, etc are all such good characters. The cast and the story really delves into important and fascinating topics such as the consequences of trauma, reform vs revolution, the place of organized religion in society, tradition, xenophobia etc.

I started with the Black Eagles and went the Crimson Flower path and after finishing it, I immediately started my Verdant Wind playthrough. After 4 months and 400 hours, I completed all 4 stories. The real stand out for me was Edelgard who ended up being one of the most intriguing characters in all gaming for me.
Yeah I was weary of the school setting too when it was first announced. Anime school settings tend to be very tropey and Fates was already tropey enough as it was. But Three Houses absolutely nailed the setting. Garreg Mach before the war captures the tension and anticipation of a world teetering over the edge. Like the Fodlan equivalent of Europe on the eve of WWI. Which the game capitalizes on fantastically. The game unflinchingly positions itself as a tragedy and it's wonderful!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of those rare games that didn't disappoint me at all. It was exactly what I needed it to be, at the exact right time of my life. I still need to finish my GD run and then do SS and the DLC too, so there's still plenty of juice left in this one for me.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem 3 Houses is undoubtedly a great game but was still disappointing to me because it did not live up to some of the other games (FE 7, 9, 10, Awakening and SOV).

I finished multiple routes and I made a thread about the things I disliked that I hope will not be present in future Fire Emblem games.

However when everything is said and one, the game is an incredible achievement when it comes to voice work and content. The sheer amount of voiced supports and variety in each house is awesome

If I had to rate the game it would be 8.3/10.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games from last year and probably the best Fire Emblem so far, every character has so much to say and they are all so endearing, such a solid cast.

Shoutouts to Joe Zieja (Claude's VA) for not only giving an amazing performance but also for being a part of the FE community, he streamed his playthrough of Golden Deer ever since the game released and he just started Black Eagles. Also he did a collab with FamilyJules, who does covers of songs, their rendition of God Shattering Star is straight fire.

Fire.Emblem%3A.Fuuka.Setsugetsu.full.2648011.jpg

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Me, looking at Persona 5 Royal: I like the original, but I can't imagine replaying a 90+ hour JRPG just for some extra content.

Also me, with 500+ hours in Three Houses: I would KILL for Three Houses Royal and replay every route

edit: oh hey, speaking of Persona

Last edited:

devious.one

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first Fire Emblem game I ever played through, and honestly I became addicted. I sunk over 150+hrs into it through two playthroughs and I still craved more after. now I'm scouring my 3DS for more Fire Emblem games. Currently making my way through Awakening during my lunch breaks at work.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you had told me after Awakening and Fates that I would love this game primarily for its characters, I wouldn't have believed you. But I really do love almost everyone

Same, although my faith was rekindled before Three Houses by Shadows of Valentia, which still has the best localization in a Fire Emblem as far as I'm concerned. The dialogue is just top notch:

EDETg4nXkAEfFg_

EDETivEW4AAb_wg

Like, damn. Also, best Fire Emblem vocal song:

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
My 2019 GOTY and my second favorite game for the Switch, just behind BOTW.

Had I known I'd love it so much I would have bought the special edition with the OST, since it's fantastic. Oh well.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I need to finish Shadows of Valentia, and the Metroid 2 remake, but my grip for my OG 3DS broke and no one sells them anymore. The 3DS is hand strain central without one. I've played Three Houses exclusively in docked mode.