• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i hope somebody makes a post when the dlc goes on sale. I know if i ever replay the game i will stop at the final boss this time. I can only die once.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's embarrassing when someone who hasn't shipped a single game, calls someone else's game "embarrassing".

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have a different memory of Drakengard 1's performance, particularly on the dragon. Do you mean it had a 60fps target?

I dont think UE3 supported PS4 so the team would have had to port that over to PS4 as well, or port the game to UE4. Likely would have been a nightmare during that time and I doubt Access had the resources to do either one.
Yes. It runs at 60fps. It can slowdown but it's not THAT bad and the only reason it feels significant is that game speed is tied to frame-rate so when it drops from 60 to 30, it runs at half speed. It holds 60fps more often than not, though. It's light years beyond the third game in that sense.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It runs at 60fps. It can slowdown but it's not THAT bad and the only reason it feels significant is that game speed is tied to frame-rate so when it drops from 60 to 30, it runs at half speed. It holds 60fps more often than not, though. It's light years beyond the third game in that sense.

Ah ok maybe that's what i remember when hopping on the dragon, dropping to half speed was probably what I noticed. It's been about 13 years since I played. I can definitely agree it never dropped to anything like the laughable framerates in those videos in the OP, and 3 is notorious for performance.

Sad part is that even stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw didnt have such awful performance, it really does seem like Access had major issues with PS3 given Deadly Premonition's performance

Square Enix: no

But it would deserve its own thread lol. I'm not sure why they're so stubborn when it comes to the prologues.

I ended up using one of those 15% off cart coupons or whatever Sony used to give out, still sucked to pay that much but it was something I guess. I really just don't think they care to discount it, even while they discount the main game

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the game runs a lot better if you set your PS3 to 480p. At least I didn't run into some of the more severe drops I've seen in videos by doing that.

It still runs poorly, of course, but at least you have some control over your character even in the worst scenes.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought 480p on PS3 was just downscaled 720p or something? Or was it really native? I remember it being way sharper than on PS2.
It is for most games, but it depends on how the game handles the information.

Similar to how the PS4 Pro has the best running version of Kingdom Hearts III because if you set your console to 1080p, the game will just render natively at 1080p. I've also seen reports that The Last Guardian runs a lot better on base PS4 at 720p, so it could be another game doing that, and the fact that the PS4 Pro version also bases resolution on system settings instead of in-game ones gives the reports credibility. It is indeed how the game handles resolution.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I checked out their development history and they were also involved with the Final Fantasy VIII Remaster and Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection.

I know remastering a game and creating a new game are two slightly different processes of game development, but I guess they still have some value... right?

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I checked out their development history and they were also involved with the Final Fantasy VIII Remaster and Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection.

I know remastering a game and creating a new game are two slightly different processes of game development, but I guess they still have some value... right?
god damn, am I new here, or do most people on Resetera like to dogpile and belittle developers?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost tempted to get Drakengard 3 just to check out the 60 fps patch.
Not fucking with the ending sequence though. The bullshit at the end of Drakengard 1 sucked years from my life, and that was only a minute long.

The original Drakengard was originally planned to be published as an Enix game before the merger, and everybody knows how little Square Enix cares for Enix titles that are not Dragon Quest.
I was just thinking about this the other day.
We get new Dragon Quest games and spin-offs galore, but none of the following:

Actraiser
Soulblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma
7th Saga / Mystic Ark
Paladin's Quest
Brain Lord
etc.

Pretty much all of these games came out in the same generation, yet there have been zero attempts to breathe new life into any of them.
Hell, Square-Enix can't even be bothered to do some cheap mobile ports. It's like the entirety of Enix outside of DQ doesn't exist.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
No studio has no value. Would be gross to alledge otherwise.

god damn, am I new here, or do most people on Resetera like to dogpile and belittle developers?

I admit I could have phrased my previous response in a much kinder tone, and the last thing I want to give is the impression that a development studio is incompetent. At the end of the day, there are so many intertwining factors with game development like costs and schedules, and game development in itself is a hard occupation so hats of to video game developers and the individual programmers and graphic designers that make a development team what they are.

But with all that being said, it cannot be denied that Access Games hasn't had the best track record for functional games.

I was just thinking about this the other day.
We get new Dragon Quest games and spin-offs galore, but none of the following:

Actraiser
Soulblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma
7th Saga / Mystic Ark
Paladin's Quest
Brain Lord
etc.

Pretty much all of these games came out in the same generation, yet there have been zero attempts to breathe new life into any of them.
Hell, Square-Enix can't even be bothered to do some cheap mobile ports. It's like the entirety of Enix outside of DQ doesn't exist.

Square Enix doesn't even need to remaster the Quintet developed Enix games, they can just be ported to modern systems. I'm in the same boat as you, Square Enix owns the rights to their original Enix IP's but won't do a thing about them which I find pretty baffling.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I ended up using one of those 15% off cart coupons or whatever Sony used to give out, still sucked to pay that much but it was something I guess. I really just don't think they care to discount it, even while they discount the main game
Same (well, 20%). I can't see it getting any cheaper either, the first Nier game's DLC also never saw a price reduction, and there's little incentive with an ageing console gen that fewer and fewer people have access to.

I'm almost tempted to get Drakengard 3 just to check out the 60 fps patch.
Not fucking with the ending sequence though. The bullshit at the end of Drakengard 1 sucked years from my life, and that was only a minute long.
The ending sequence is without a doubt one of the best boss battles I've encountered. I thought DoD1 was difficult and frustrating, whereas DoD3 didn't take me many attempts and was really enjoyable.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I admit I could have phrased my previous response in a much kinder tone, and the last thing I want to give is the impression that a development studio is incompetent. At the end of the day, there are so many intertwining factors with game development like costs and schedules, and game development in itself is a hard occupation so hats of to video game developers and the individual programmers and graphic designers that make a development team what they are.

But with all that being said, it cannot be denied that Access Games hasn't had the best track record for functional games.
You're definitely right about that, but yeah, thanks for walking it back a little bit. As fucked as some of their games are, they did have some real greats like Deadly Premonition and D4!

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I've got very fond memories of D3. Blew up a ship while riding the dragon and just looked on i awe as the framerate sank to single digits. like, 3 or 4. Incredible story, presentation, characters, music, even the gameplay is fun, it just performs so horribly. Definetely a title to play emulated if you're interested in it now. It has such a great depraved fantasy world.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up never buying it because of that, saw some videos on YouTube and couldn't believe how bad it was, how does a game even get released in this state?

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
That second video may be the most embarrassing dialogue I've ever seen in any video game. Pretty incredible to go from this to Automata.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's a shame it runs so poorly, but at least it was more fun to play than Drakengard 1. So poorly that the first Five boss fight reached single digit frame-rates then crashed on me. Cool.

But the writing, story, characters, music, presentation and Drakengard/NieR-ness make up for it. This deserves a remaster too.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That second video may be the most embarrassing dialogue I've ever seen in any video game. Pretty incredible to go from this to Automata.
It's not really fair to judge the games dialogue based on a snippet. Drakengard 3 is very much in line with Nier and Nier:A as far as quality of story goes.
I think it's even the game that takes place first in the timeline and directly ties into Drakengard 1 and Nier.

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. Although that fade to black at the final boss... and one last note....

Watched ending on YouTube after that ...