• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I will be a delusional Sonic fan right now and say with absolute certainty that a new mainline Sonic game WILL come out this year. It will be a November game and it will be announced sometime in the summer. But the question is who do you think announces it?

Sega/Atlus doesn't have its own E3 presentation, so they usually present things on one of the big three's presentations.

Will it be Sony since they are the dominant powerful console in Japan?

Will it be Nintendo because they are the console with the biggest market share in Japan and the go to console for "E" rated content?

Will it be Microsoft because as of now, they are the console with the MOST available Sonic games for consumers to play/purchase and could take advantage of that large catalog of Sonic games on their platform?

Or do you think Sega will go with its own Dedicated Sonic event like when they announced Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania? Will this event itself be a big enough platform to announce and show off the first mainline Sonic game since 2017?

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Sega usually just shows it off themselves. Can't remember the last time one of the big 3 show off the new Sonic game. Maybe Nintendo?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, in that order

Although like someone said, it will be announced by SEGA themselves unless is an exclusive

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
they do their own thing and crush 40 are there

but if it had to be one of the big three, most likely would be nintendo.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft and day one on Gamepass is my guess. They want more family friendly content

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping it isn't Nintendo.

I miss the PS3/360 era when Sonic took advantage of new hardware.

At the very least having it on PS5/Series X and downporting it to Switch a la Crash and Spyro would be nice.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Probably none.

Also Sony...the dominant and powerful console in Japan ? lol...wut.
Hoping it isn't Nintendo.

I miss the PS3/360 era when Sonic took advantage of new hardware.

At the very least having it on PS5/Series X and downporting it to Switch a la Crash and Spyro would be nice.
Yeah I'm sure now well the game utilizes the consoles it appears on will be decided based on what show or stream it gets unveiled....lol.

OP
OP
Bman94

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Probably none.

Also Sony...the dominant and powerful console in Japan ? lol...wut.

Powerful as in specs. Xbox isn't making any dent in the Japan market, so if you want to showcase high fidelity games as a third party in Japan, you're going with Playstation 4/5. I said Nintendo has the most market share.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Powerful as in specs. Xbox isn't making any dent in the Japan market, so if you want to showcase high fidelity games as a third party in Japan, you're going with Playstation 4/5. I said Nintendo has the most market share.
I don't think this has ever been a factor for Sega and how they reveal Sonic...but i get your point.

If it were a Plattform holder I would think MS or Nintendo.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It'd most likely be announced earlier at an anniversary stream, considering the target audience will find out eventually regardless through the grapevine, they don't need to spend all that money securing a spot. I'm kinda sad we won't get a really awkward in-person party though.

But if they somehow convinced one of the other companies, it'd be Nintendo or Microsoft. I just can't see Sony letting it eat up any time unless it is literally called Sonic Adventure 3 and they want to recreate that Shenmue 3-level event.

OP
OP
Bman94

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this has ever been a factor for Sega and how they reveal Sonic...but i get your point.

If it were a Plattform holder I would think MS or Nintendo.

It's more so Sega/Atlus relationship with Sony. Their biggest titles like Persona or Yakuza is usually marketed with Playstation users in mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would it be any of them and not Sega themselves? Not to mention I think Sonic games actually have had virtual events

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why do we need a powerful console to make a new Sonic game? Nintendo makes the most sense, wasn't Sonic in Smash Bros.? PC/Xbox/xCloud/Game Pass will also be enticing.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we take this premise as true, they'd be idiots beyond measure if it isn't Nintendo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a Sonic announcement would be it's own thing but, if they really had to tie it to one of the big three, it almost certainly should be Nintendo.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it matters or why it would not be of Sega's own volition.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's more so Sega/Atlus relationship with Sony. Their biggest titles like Persona or Yakuza is usually marketed with Playstation users in mind.
They always had this relationship but Sonic brand is managed diffrently...see the Nintendo exclusive games. They are probably also going by the sales of the past games and I would assume Mania/Forces sold quite well on Switch and there is the Mario n Sonic series.

But in the end it won't really matter....people just want a new quality Sonic game regardless of where it shows up.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
They will have their own digital event.

Sega hasn't given Sonic a high budget game since Sonic Unleashed. Why would they go all out, when they seemed to be more comfortable pricing console Sonic games at $40 or less and having their F2P Gacha Sonic runner as their main money maker?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sega's just as close to Nintendo really (despite Nagoshi's hard work) with the deals on SMT, Mario & Sonic and Bayonetta. And really even Microsoft globally given the deals on Yakuza and PSO2 in the west. Sony doesn't have any sort of uniquely exclusive relationship here really, despite how many lunches they brought. ;)

Sonic in particular though has never led promotion on PlayStation afaik. Historically that's been either Nintendo or agnostic/multi for the most part, although I do remember MS leading promo on Sonic 06. The current gen examples (Forces, Mania, Team Racing) were all pushed by Sega directly though without any of the big 3 leading promo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega hasn't given Sonic a high budget game since Sonic Unleashed. Why would they go all out, when they seemed to be more comfortable pricing console Sonic games at $40 or less and having their F2P Gacha Sonic runner as their main money maker?
there was only one (or two, I don't know the launch price of Sonic Mania) game that was $40 and it still bombed. they're not comfortable with Sonic at all right now. the series only just found newfound footing with Mania and the movie, both of which weren't by Sonic Team

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
there was only one (or two, I don't know the launch price of Sonic Mania) game that was $40 and it still bombed. they're not comfortable with Sonic at all right now. the series only just found newfound footing with Mania and the movie, both of which weren't by Sonic Team
Sonic Forces and Team Sonic Racing were priced at $40 at retail, and Sonic Mania was $20. I could have sworn Sonic Boom WiiU originally retailed at $40 too, but I could be confusing that with the 3DS games.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Why would any of them waste a space on Sonic at this point? It isn't the 90s. Sonic isn't moving hardware.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about what they're even doing with it. Isn't this the longest, or at least close to the longest, gap in releases between Sonic games? Forces was the last one and that was in 2017. I wonder if they'll just say fuck it and go ahead and do another Adventure game?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel based on precedent for the past few E3's or even last year's presentations that it would be Microsoft. MS has had a knack for announcing Japanese projects like DMC5 and Dragonball so Sonic wouldn't be out of place there. I know it didn't end up turning out good but Balan Wonderland was announced at an MS presentation last year

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really curious about what they're even doing with it. Isn't this the longest, or at least close to the longest, gap in releases between Sonic games? Forces was the last one and that was in 2017. I wonder if they'll just say fuck it and go ahead and do another Adventure game?
If we don't count spin offs, the time between Lost World and Mania/Forces is the same as now, 4 years. But there was also a 4 year gap between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how well the movie did, it's clear Sonic is much bigger than what most of Era thinks.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Of the big 3, Nintendo makes the most sense. Sonic games sell better on Nintendo hardware. But they might want the reveal to look its best and opt to reveal it on their own with PS5/XSX footage.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Nintendo makes the most sense but (maybe less recently?) Sonic tends to have a secondary release on Nintendo with the main version on MS/PS (assuming Nintendo gets a port at all).

I think it depends on what kind of game it is. If it's a retro throwback or a general game, it'd be Nintendo. If they're marketing it as the first next gen Sonic then obviously it'd go to one of the others (my gut says MS but I can't back that up with a reason).

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how well the movie did, it's clear Sonic is much bigger than what most of Era thinks.

Apples and oranges. Success in one medium rarely equals out in the other. You can see the opposite happened with Avengers: Billion dollar film franchise, obviously everyone loves it, game still flops. Why? This is my own theory, but I think movies vs games is an especially egregious comparison because I can go to a matinee for $10 and not even think about it. Even if I don't like the movie, it's not really a big deal. If I buy a new video game, like brand new? That's at least $40 I'm spending and much more likely $60. So I have to actually think about that, that's not a minor transaction I'm gonna handwave. Movies are trivial time wasting for a lot of people, they're petty fun. Most of those folks aren't so invested in core gaming (as in non-F2P stuff, available at retail), which is far more expensive. So no, I'd argue the movie doing well doesn't indicate much of anything for the video games.